Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

How to add spoiler + others

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

Buzz331

Buzz331

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSomwhere on the Internet

I'm new and I'd like a little info on the stuff on Batoto such as how to add spoiler tags and topic tags and other stuff like that so I don't annoy other users. 

Please reply quickly.

SoundSpark

SoundSpark

Baked Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 1,644 posts

[spoiler ] whatever you want in spoilers goes here [ /spoiler] take out spaces

for topic tags there is a box below the title area called "Topic Tags" any topic tags you wish to add go there just separate them by commas.

Also by other stuff, what do you mean? You can also click the "Specially BBCode" button next to the Eraser looking botton the upper left hand side when you go to post a comment, see image below for the button that I'm talking about.

7ff03128-c7c1-4c1e-bf17-535a5dd08611_zps

Edited by SoundSpark, 22 January 2014 - 09:41 PM.

OchaMeido❣

OchaMeido❣

The Head Maid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,728 posts
  • Location@ the Greenhouse Tea Party~
Here you go, I kinda went ahead and label basically stuff you need to know about.

ivajqu.png

Hope this helps you^^~

Edited by Naizumi, 23 April 2014 - 03:10 PM.

ןן Tea Party~ ןן "THE BAR" ןן

ןןGuide to Uploading/deltin/sortin ןן

ןן[Must read] COMMENT SECTIONS RULES ן

Follow the comment sections' rules or else, you will be hanging at the edge of an cliff ^^
It maybe one step closer to death's door or an extension of your life's time.

Buzz331

Buzz331

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

[randbitmap_true.png/spoiler

That didn't work. Whoops

So how do I make images spoilers. Every time I use the image url it doesn't work.

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

Write this (don't copy->paste mine, it won't work):
[spoiler][img=IMAGE_LINK][/spoiler]

Also, click "more reply options" (or if you edit your post, "use full editor") and abuse the preview option till you get it right. If it works in preview, it'll work after posting.

If you have problems with managing quotes/big images/etc when you write your post, click that square switch icon in top-left corner of edit box (next to the eraser/above the "B"). You won't be able to use other function buttons while this mode is on, but it's much easier to make any misbehaving code work that way.

Edited by OMGWTFBBQPONIES, 22 January 2014 - 10:06 PM.

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

Antisolar

Antisolar

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationSanzu-no-kawa

Oh god, to think I manually typed spoiler and media every single time...

aoshik12.jpg

seyrine

seyrine

Unemployed Kitty In A Penguin Suit

• Administrators
  • 1,830 posts
  • LocationLurking nearby...

You forgot the opening tag, and the enclosing brackets for the tag. Might I suggest separating them vertically if you're still having problems?

[spoiler]
Image, URL or Text
[/spoiler]

Remember that you need both the opening and closing tag, and the closing tag has a slash in it to distinguish it.

Catch my story; the Neverender Series

Batoto's Rules Repository | Rules, Guidelines and FAQs

Rules and Regulations | How to get help | Frequently Asked Questions

If all else fails, PM me. And use the REPORT button if you see any content that may violate site policy.

Catch me on irc.idlechat.net (#seyrine) and D.F.T.B.A.!

Linkd

Linkd

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 721 posts

I am kind of confused the image url goes after typing image and if there is text after the image where does it go?

Wow!

seyrine

seyrine

Unemployed Kitty In A Penguin Suit

• Administrators
  • 1,830 posts
  • LocationLurking nearby...
You can have any combination of URL, text and images, it's just up to you how to make them work. For example, if I want an image to redirect to a link with a caption on the button:

Spoiler

[spoiler]
[url=http://www.batoto.net/forums/][img=http://cdn.grumpycats.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Grumpy-Cat-01.jpg][/url]
This is a caption.
[/spoiler]
If you're wondering, as long as they're all inside the spoiler tags, they should all still be enclosed in spoilers. And mind the rules when linking #obligatoryreminderofrules.

Catch my story; the Neverender Series

Batoto's Rules Repository | Rules, Guidelines and FAQs

Rules and Regulations | How to get help | Frequently Asked Questions

If all else fails, PM me. And use the REPORT button if you see any content that may violate site policy.

Catch me on irc.idlechat.net (#seyrine) and D.F.T.B.A.!

OchaMeido❣

OchaMeido❣

The Head Maid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,728 posts

You can have any combination of URL, text and images, it's just up to you how to make them work. For example, if I want an image to redirect to a link with a caption on the button:

Spoiler

[spoiler]
[url=http://www.batoto.net/forums/][img=http://cdn.grumpycats.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Grumpy-Cat-01.jpg][/url]
This is a caption.
[/spoiler]
If you're wondering, as long as they're all inside the spoiler tags, they should all still be enclosed in spoilers. And mind the rules when linking #obligatoryreminderofrules.

adding to what sey-nii says.... 

It can go to whichever order as long as long as there is an beginning [_____] and an ending [/____] part to each code/formal. 

If one of them is missing , then the whole code is missed up.  

If you are planning to use many spoilers, make each one seperately first. Then combine them later on. It will be easier for you.

Same goes if you have many images/url/text in one spoiler.

Edited by Mazenia, 23 January 2014 - 02:24 AM.

Follow the comment sections' rules or else, you will be hanging at the edge of an cliff ^^

Linkd

Linkd

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 721 posts

Now I am really confused so its something like this?

Spoiler

so i can technically use the thing at the bar but for a pic lets say for a picture?

how does that work?

Edited by linkd90, 23 January 2014 - 04:11 AM.

Wow!

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar
Not sure what is confusing in it to you.

Think about it as quotation marks. You start quoting someone and until you close the quote on the other end the reader will think that everything you write is a part of the quote. Sometimes in the sentence you quote there's already a quote included, so you mark it by using other quote symbols, like '' or «», but it's still a part of the main quote.

Or think of it as math brackets. In more complex operations you use more brackets and brackets within brackets to mark the order of operations. So the spoiler tag would be the external-most bracket and anything you place inside it will get executed as part of the spoiler.

(Good) machines don't think what the author had in mind, so it won't work if you mix the tag order, remove/forget to add the closing tag or (accidentally) change the wording of a tag (like with a typo or deleting/adding a symbol to it) - like here: [spoiler][/spoiler] where I changed the colour of one letter and font of some brackets (thus inserting whole tags into the spoiler ones).
Or if you forget to close a certain tag in one place and then reuse the tag later (like when making two separate spoilers), then the first tag will be left pending for the closure and will use (borrow) the closing part of the second one. Example:
Spoiler

The last update seems to have fixed all (that I was aware of) tag-stacking bugs, so you don't have to worry about combining tags to create more complex stuff (like the image link in my signature, together with hover-over description).

As for what the spoiler tag is, it's used to collapse a part or parts of your posts to hide spoilers, joke's punch line, big images, embedded videos, make your post look more organised and save others having to scroll because of oversized images, annoy people by hiding something they want behind 10's of spoilers, etc. It doesn't stop the content inside from loading with the rest of the page though (one important exception being, on some (not-updated-to-the-recent-version) browsers it doesn't allow for embedded videos to load/play when collapsed due to a certain good bug that was sadly fixed at some point - in other words, some people can open the spoiler, play the video and still have it playing after closing the spoiler, to some embedding won't load on closed spoiler and thus it'll only load after opening the spoiler and closing it will stop the playback).

edit: and if you're not sure how someone did something in their post, you can quote it and view it in bbcode mode.

Edited by OMGWTFBBQPONIES, 23 January 2014 - 10:19 AM.

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

Linkd

Linkd

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 721 posts

Hmm it's really just trying to get to spoil tag an image for example

Spoiler

Edited by linkd90, 24 January 2014 - 01:36 AM.

Wow!

OchaMeido❣

OchaMeido❣

The Head Maid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,728 posts

^^ You are doing it right,link-kun . If you dont have any more questions/ related to any problem, please refrain from posting your examples~

Linkd

Linkd

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 721 posts

Alright got it sorry... just would have been awkward if I had done the same thing anywhere else. Thanks for the help really saved me there :D

Wow!

Gendalph

Gendalph

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 576 posts
  • Locationbeyond the Veil
What will happen if I use nested spoilers?
Spoiler

Edited by Genda1ph, 24 January 2014 - 12:16 PM.

Buzz331

Buzz331

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

Gonna have another dab at it. 

Spoiler

I've tried quite a bit on how to do images but it keeps on showing up empty. I can't find the preview button too. This is what I've been trying to do:

[spoiler_ ignore]

img= IMAGE LINK

[/spoiler]

But the spoiler part keeps on coming up empty.

Edited by Buzz331, 24 January 2014 - 05:56 PM.

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

I've tried quite a bit on how to do images but it keeps on showing up empty. I can't find the preview button too. This is what I've been trying to do:
[spoiler_ ignore]
img= IMAGE LINK
[/spoiler]

But the spoiler part keeps on coming up empty.

You're missing [ ] brackets on image tag, but you removed them to break the code I presume?. And if you're writing it just like in your example, then you're putting a space between img= and the link. Don't do it. Make sure that your link has image extension like *.jpg, *.gif or *.png

[spoiler][img=<nospacehere>IMAGE_LINK][/spoiler]

Preview:

Also, click "more reply options" (or if you edit your post, "use full editor") and abuse the preview option till you get it right. If it works in preview, it'll work after posting.

J1ofDM3.png

3AwYjw7.png

It's here:
nUAEsrY.png

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Buzz331

Buzz331

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

Seems pretty complicated to just get a preview. 

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

Seems pretty complicated to just get a preview.

Not really. Just one more button to click. The quick reply is here for convenience if you want to reply to something fast; the main reply box has always been behind a button and preferably is something you should use if you're writing a bigger post or playing around with formatting.

If you want a quick preview to see if the code works at all (doesn't include few tags, like spoiler ones), turn bbcode mode on and off.

Edited by OMGWTFBBQPONIES, 24 January 2014 - 06:51 PM.

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3