Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Do you think he'll stay a pacifist?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think he'll stay with his pacifist mind set? (82 member(s) have cast votes)

Will he kill?

1. Yes (18 votes [21.95%])

Percentage of vote: 21.95%

2. No (17 votes [20.73%])

Percentage of vote: 20.73%

3. Will kill for the right reasons (47 votes [57.32%])

Percentage of vote: 57.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Exlander

Exlander

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBehind you

I was curious because i really hope (fingers crossed) he doesn't go all 'I won't kill you because i'm different even though you have screwed me over countless times' /*cough* Most mainstream mc's

23ldpv9.jpg

Ps : I'm pretty sure this webtoon won't get that serious anyway, just a thought.

Edited by lanex, 30 December 2013 - 12:37 AM.

Happiness is the most insidious prison of all.

2j124o3.jpg

Moose

Moose

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

if someone enjoys something like that, I think is the important bit there.

In general, no, I don't think he'll change. That'd be a great disservice by the author - such an attitude is a defining trait for a character.

Exlander

Exlander

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBehind you

if someone enjoys something like that, I think is the important bit there.

In general, no, I don't think he'll change. That'd be a great disservice by the author - such an attitude is a defining trait for a character.

Yeah i guess so, to be honest i have high expectations for this webtoon and i don't think it'll get too serious on the killing  :P

2j124o3.jpg

God-Emperor

God-Emperor

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationRelaxing inside of trees of 77th Floor and reading something.

If you read the Log Horizont and similar titles where characters are being detained inside of game and cannot log out, the problem is the game inside. Some games allow PKs and some guys would love to play this way, where one human can kill another human and get away with this. Once someone find one way of logging out of game, those people wouldn't get away with the feeling from killing someone and they want to repeat the sensation of killing someone in real world.

It's more about the mentality inside of game.

Olinser

Olinser

Potato

• Members
  • 144 posts

Not wanting to kill somebody is NOT pacifism. Pacifism is opposition to war and violence in general, not just to killing. Pacifists are unwilling to fight at all.

Jee-Han pretty clearly has no qualms about using violence in general. He just objects to actually killing.

Comerz88

Comerz88

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Locationger

i think it will be like HSDK evrybody wants to kill him but he defats them witout killing them

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

Whenever I see sentences like "I can't even imagine… using this power to kill someone", I begin to think this is exactly what the utterer is eventually going to be driven to do by circumstances. Dramatic irony is the bread and butter of fiction since Ancient Greece, so why should it be different here?

I have been mistaken, but normally characters who talk too much about not killing are just the authors' attempts at obfuscating the issue. Characters who don't kill normally don't even talk about it, or only do so after the fight has happened (normally to discuss how close they were to killing, and how they oh-so-dramatically wanted to do it, only to be consoled by a friend or love interest). It's a bit like friends who talk about their loyalty to someone: if they were really loyal, they wouldn't need to say it. Also, there is the additional dramatic benefit of having a character profess their unwillingness to kill, and then shocking the readers by having them do that. Cue the endless discussions about how sad things have turned out for said character, how their rage was justified, whether a different outcome was possible etc.. This is engineered by the authors quite carefully.

If you look carefully, of course, there are exceptions to this pattern. There are characters who make a point of declaring their unwillingness to kill and that becomes their signature.

Of course, redemption comes in the next sentence: Jee-han is not going to enjoy doing it.

It is still too hard to tell how dark this series is going to become. The setting is a fairly mundane present-day South Korean school, and few ability users have been actually shown (although the entire cast so far, Do Gi-yun and the art teacher excepted, are users). But one of them is very intense - Hwan Sung-gon - and willing to kill or die if the situation calls for it. Death has been mentioned since chapter two and while the possibility is always brushed aside by the resolution of the situation at hand, we still don't know much about how life in the abyss is. We do know that death is a trivial thing there.

I would place my bets (and have done so in the poll) that he is going to kill. And won't even regret it later.

Edited by kendama, 31 December 2013 - 05:40 PM.

Exlander

Exlander

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Interesting opinions  ^_^

2j124o3.jpg

Firehorse32

Firehorse32

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 71 posts

When it comes down to them or you. 8 out of 10 people will choose them...self proclaimed pacifist or not.  It's about a 60-40 will/not split when defending other family or children.

"Our past shapes us, our choices define us, our desires propel us, and those we let into our hearts give us the strength to persevere even when our dreams lay shattered behind us." - me

bkaa22

bkaa22

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 219 posts

I would doubt he would actively seek out to harm other people, but I would see him defending his friends/family to the best of his ability.

Ninjacat Dude

Ninjacat Dude

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 50 posts

I'm thinking that he'll have to use his power to protect people soon, I kind of doubt

he'll have to kill anyone anytime real soon, but I think the writer might lead up to it.

Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.

Nikola Tesla

Goobera

Goobera

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany ** Not a German, just a poor Half refugee living in hiding **
:D ...after brutally slaughtering all those zombies, while loudly laughing, and only caring about his MP or HP or item gains... after playing all those violence/fighting involving games on his computer where "grinding" zombies or other "creatures", and certainly killing other characters at least sometimes, seems to have been the rule... this is too funny :D

That guy is as much a "pacifist" as a hungry hyena could feed on grass and salad :D

If he would be a pacifist, and really could not kill anyone, he would:

A. Not be interested in playing games involving any sort of killing
B. Not be able to refer to any sort of murder or killing as "grinding", or any other such renaming to obscure the truth
C. Not be able in the least to feel any sort of happiness after killing or even harming any sentient creature
D. If forced to kill or harm any sentient creature in self defence he would suffer from post-traumatic stress syndrome afterwards
E. He would never go on "grinding" zombies on his own, almost without any danger to his life, and totally overpowered (THAT really IS psychopatic murderer mode)

In other words, because he never even was a pacifist to begin with (except in his somewhat crooked imagination), he will likely be able to kill a wide range of creatures up to "real people" in future..

One of the main reasons why this story failed to win a top spot in my most favorite list. It started out promising, then quickly developed into a mess of inconsistencies, mass mainstream fairy tales and self delusions. Still funny to read for the idea of the "gamer" alone, but I do not expect anything good or surprising to appear in this webtoon anymore :/ A very sad development, for something that could have been one of the most genius stories on the planet D= Such a chance wasted, wasted and again wasted >.< *sob*
Supporting the Kubera Wiki: kubera.wikia.com/wiki/User:Goobera

Spoiler

LuffyXGoku

LuffyXGoku

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 55 posts

he wont kill mercilessly. but i mean, im sure any of us would kill if someones trying to kill us. depends on the circumstancces.

anyway  hes already not a pacifist. i mean, he goes out and picks fights with zombies on the daily. a pacifist hates fighting period.

Dragon88

Dragon88

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 519 posts

He is not a pacifist.  He has no reason to kill people.  So far the manga has been light and its just about him learning his power and leveling up.  There is nothing serious yet so why would he kill people.  This thread is kind of pointless.

LuffyXGoku

LuffyXGoku

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 55 posts

He is not a pacifist.  He has no reason to kill people.  So far the manga has been light and its just about him learning his power and leveling up.  There is nothing serious yet so why would he kill people.  This thread is kind of pointless.

yeah but later on it probably will get serious. i can see the necro dude trying to recruit the MC pretty quick instead of siding with chunbunmoon (horrible at remembering the names in this manga haha)

Colm Corbec

Colm Corbec

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

i want him to kill the bad guys that kill other people and dont just befriend them and change them into good guys like most other manga's. Especially the people that try to kill him, they wouldnt let him live so why should he let them

LuffyXGoku

LuffyXGoku

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 55 posts

i want him to kill the bad guys that kill other people and dont just befriend them and change them into good guys like most other manga's. Especially the people that try to kill him, they wouldnt let him live so why should he let them

**cough cough** naruto **cough cough** -_-. worst part of that manga, revival and befriending bad guys

TychoGreen

TychoGreen

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts
omgoodness he obviously won't stay a pacifist when he never was. i've already read about 30-40 manga and there wasn't a single shounen i remember where the MC wasn't at least forced to fight.
well at mangareader bakuman was listed as a shounen but i guess you know which shounen i mean. besides takagi punched an other guy in the face once. :P
but sometimes i think people just make a thread to have mad the thread and not for the actuall discussion.

Vandalier

Vandalier

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 44 posts

i've already read about 30-40 manga and there wasn't a single shounen i remember where the MC wasn't at least forced to fight.

go read more slice of life manga!

Through adverse Zahard will the monarchy of the great fisherman be in ruinous trouble: The young red black one will seize the hierarchy, The traitors will act on a day of drizzle.

inbetweenaction

inbetweenaction

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

considering that he sort of freaks out when he discovers that his answer to "Are you prepared to kill" question is "it's joust murder" (freaking gamers mind skill)... wouldn't be to surprised if he someday will kill someone...