Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Japanese stereotypes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

ThePoetWolf

ThePoetWolf

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBatoto

The thing that tends to annoy me the most about this manga is not the romantic stereotypes that typically are a part of this genre. The issues i take are with certain japanese only things that do not have any bearing on the rest of the world. But people who are foreign accept them. For example the way it takes them 25 chapters to start calling eachother by thier first name. I get that this is a big deal in japan but lets face it, she is meant to be an american or at least half american and was raised in america. She is going to be talking to everyone by thier first names. I dont get why it is a big deal for her? i get why he might think its a big deal but not her. This is just one of the many aggravations that come with mangas who have a "foreigner" who acts like a blond japanese person. it stresses me out. Am i all alone in this? Does it abboy other poeple are there other stereotypes?

24.jpg[/URL]

pijoed

pijoed

Potato

• Members
  • 125 posts
You know....... we are dealing with a girl raised in a Mafia family...... Tell me, do al-Capone's daughter would mingle and hang out with poor people? She should at least act spoiled. Do spoiled rich brat go around calling people who she consider trash using their first name? Or she would rather call them "trash" , literally.

lulzace

lulzace

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Locationmexico

It's not simply an aspect of culture, and an important one at that that in reality isn't just limited to Jp, but it is deeply integral in regards to subtle changes. Were they not there signifying the growing relationships would take more to be effectively visualized. More what is up in the air since there are a variety of ways to do that but this would be much longer and, potentially, drag on certain arcs longer than needed or introduce arcs the author didn't want to include anyway.

Disliking something is fine, but it's also important to recognize why things are the way they are. Especially with things like writing and drawing that both take up considerable amounts of time.

maffa

maffa

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Locationitaly

The thing that tends to annoy me the most about this manga is not the romantic stereotypes that typically are a part of this genre. The issues i take are with certain japanese only things that do not have any bearing on the rest of the world. But people who are foreign accept them. For example the way it takes them 25 chapters to start calling eachother by thier first name. I get that this is a big deal in japan but lets face it, she is meant to be an american or at least half american and was raised in america. She is going to be talking to everyone by thier first names. I dont get why it is a big deal for her? i get why he might think its a big deal but not her. This is just one of the many aggravations that come with mangas who have a "foreigner" who acts like a blond japanese person. it stresses me out. Am i all alone in this? Does it abboy other poeple are there other stereotypes?

i see what you mean, but the whole setup is all over the place. Do you think the whole beehive gang, which is an american mafia group, can speak fluent japanese just like that? do you think that the son of an active yakuza family could go around just like that without a care in the world saying things like "I want to be a public servant"?

Take it as it is, like a Love Hina without flying turtles.

pijoed

pijoed

Potato

• Members
  • 125 posts

So, have you read/watch jormurgand(pretty sure sumwhere around northen afrika region), black lagoon(SEA), city hunter(Jap's yakuza with Americano as bodyguards and chinese syndicate), Akumetsu, etc........ pretty sure they all talk fluent japanese.........

And...... Nisekoi isn't the 1st manga that has a char that is a son of an active yakuza family but want to be a normal public servant......

for example gokusen(teacher), almsot hlf a dozen chars in GTO, the crossdressing drummer in hareluya, and  whole bunch other chars but they're not the leading mc of their manga, namely lawyers, farmers, doctors, etc.....

Edited by pijoed, 09 June 2014 - 07:28 AM.

RedD-ragon

RedD-ragon

Potato Spud

• Validating
  • 12 posts

So, have you read/watch jormurgand(pretty sure sumwhere around northen afrika region), black lagoon(SEA), city hunter(Jap's yakuza with Americano as bodyguards and chinese syndicate), Akumetsu, etc........ pretty sure they all talk fluent japanese.........

Probably not, No japanese school child (or any japanese person without reasonably fluent english) is going to want to read a manga wirtten in english (or any other language), so the authors write in japanese, but that doesn't mean the character speaking speaks japanese. TVtropes talks about this quite well, so I'll just link to that http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TranslationConvention

By the time you finish reading this,

you'll have forgotten who I am.

Natas

Natas

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
yes this manga is banalizing organized crime syndicates. i get its all a gag, but its still sad.