Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

The Steps of Scanlation (how it comes to be)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

TheGodfather

TheGodfather

Batoto Chief Mafioso

• The Company (inactive)
  • 481 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Hey, 'sup. I thought I'd write this in connection to our need for more staff! If you are applying to work at The Company in whatever position (excluding RAW provider I 'spose) you should read this to gain a general overview of how we do things and what processes happen from original to edited to published when working with us.

The very basic stricture of things is as follows:

Acquiring Raws -> Translation -> Cleaning -> Typesetting 1 -> Quality Check -> Typesetting 2 -> Release.

That's if everything works smoothly. If you have worked in other scanlation groups before, you may notice the absence of "proofreading". That is because here at TC, proofreading is combined with QCing. As a proofreader myself, I can tell you how incredibly helpful it is to actually go over a project with the text already set into the images, meaning you don't lack an enormous amount of context when checking the accuracy and consistency of the language.

Also, Cleaning and Translation often happen simultaneously or may be swapped around as you'll often seen cleaned pages awaiting to be translated. Cleaning and Typesetting are often done by the same person - an editor. An editor is noting more than a Cleaner and Typesetter combined.

The Typesetter will normally typeset the original script provided by the translator, which then is given to the Quality Checker. The QC will go over the entire chapter, find mistakes and suggest improvements plus corrections and submits them to the Translator. The Translator then approves and/or rejects the changes and normally tries to compromise with the QC on a solution to an issue that came up during the QC. The two will finalize the release candidate of the script, which is passed on to the Typesetter once more. I should probably add that some QCs also suggest some improvements for the cleaning if needed. The Typesetter will then proceed to correct whatever changes were made, create a feature picture for the blog, add credits and pass it on to be released.

That is essentially how we do things at TheCompany. In a more detailed chain, it would be something along the lines of this:

Acquiring Raws -> Translating -> Editing: Cleaning -> Typesetting 1 -> Quality Check -> Translator Check -> Final Script -> Typesetting 2: Edits and Credits -> Release.

I hope that this gives somewhat of an insight into how we go from the foreign original to the translated version.

Please do your best on the application tests, no matter what position you are applying for! You've got nothing to lose.

-tG

Edited by mhh, 06 May 2012 - 01:41 PM.

Spoiler

i fucking love fembot for hustling on GB with Kareia and Kento <333333

powha

powha

Vocaloid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationGensokyo
Good!! (ref to the pic) :D

CrazyRed98

CrazyRed98

What Legends Are Made Of

• The Company
  • 514 posts
  • LocationBed

Please do you best on the application tests, no matter what position you are applying for! You've got nothing to lose.

O'rly? Just for clarification how do I go about applying to these test?
~~~CrazyRed98~~~
"I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul." - William Ernest Henley
Posted Image