Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Thx to tC

tC the company thanks hard work

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Corpse

Corpse

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 327 posts

Spoiler

well we always appreciate how a work tc did but i wondered how hard it is to clean an image and tried this one. it took more than an hour and it is not quite pro :wacko: . and there is more than 20 images like this on naver at each episode. so i now understand how hard they work. ty tC for your every week hard work ^_^

especially cleaning around ron mei's tits was so hard it took more than half an hour and i failed. damn it siu this girl needs surgery

Edited by ceset, 14 September 2013 - 02:43 PM.

img000028.jpg

Ja Wangnan

Phantaminum the Riddle

Phantaminum the Riddle

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 41 posts

Amen. Thanks to translators,cleaners, providers and all the other people that work to bring Naver manhwa to our doorsteps. Grumpy, Crazy, and the rest of the team, thanks for bringing us Tower of God! :)

Hoet

Hoet

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 323 posts

.. cleaning white speech bubbles isn't the challenging part

hmmerp_zps488b0742.png

Couch Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 3,043 posts

I find this thread more appropriate for the The Company forum where people from the group will have higher chance of reading it.

Moving.

The opinions expressed by this user are solely their own and do not express the views of Batoto and its staff.

Corpse

Corpse

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 327 posts

I find this thread more appropriate for the The Company forum where people from the group will have higher chance of reading it.

Moving.

no prob as long as it stays

img000028.jpg

Ja Wangnan

jrusse18

jrusse18

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 223 posts

I tried to clean an image once but I was really bad at it so it took me about a week and four days.

Corpse

Corpse

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 327 posts

I tried to clean an image once but I was really bad at it so it took me about a week and four days.

well dude i believe i m quite good with PS CS6 but being cleaner is something quite different. i realized that much

and i didnt even touched them though yes they are easier

Edited by ceset, 14 September 2013 - 08:36 PM.

img000028.jpg

Ja Wangnan

Yra

Yra

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • LocationUnder the waves, humming to dead ships

Yup, thanks tC for their weekly releases of the many translations of series they do! ^^

Sig.png

Spoiler

Euodiachloris

Euodiachloris

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 7,336 posts
  • LocationUK

May I point out that a lot of the artists on Naver like to use semi-transparent "white" bubbles a lot?  Some "easy", there. :wacko: <shudders>

And, that's without the SFX. <_<

I'm iffy at using GIMP and have never really used Photoshop (flirted with PaintShop -- until my comp with it on died and I couldn't install it on the new one without forking out a ransom)... but, I have occasionally tried my hand at image manipulation enough to know I go cross-eyed. -_- So, yeah: I very much appreciate the hard work that goes in. :D

Edited by Euodiachloris, 14 September 2013 - 10:53 PM.

PlotCap.png

~:Euo will do instead of my whole handle:~

Scanlation-author collaboration not possible?  Nope: it's doable... try Trace and vote with your feet to try to get more like this.

Couch Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 3,043 posts

Hopefully I am not off-topic discussing cleaning in this subforum. Let me know if I am.

Spoiler

well we always appreciate how a work tc did but i wondered how hard it is to clean an image and tried this one. it took more than an hour and it is not quite pro :wacko: . and there is more than 20 images like this on naver at each episode. so i now understand how hard they work. ty tC for your every week hard work ^_^

especially cleaning around ron mei's tits was so hard it took more than half an hour and i failed. damn it siu this girl needs surgery

Your editing is noticeable on the first two panels. Often you can leave some bits like that (or even not cleaned at all) because you will put text over it anyway, but in your case it will stand out even then. Here is The Company's version with finished cleaning/redrawing, I believe:

Spoiler

I am in no way an expert so there may be better ways to do, but here are some suggestions to improve:

• I notice you do the lines manually. That's not recommended, especially if you are using a mouse and not a drawing tablet. What you can use is the Pen Tool. It's one of the most used tools in cleaning comics anyway.
  • When the thing that needs to be removed doesn't have any details on the background, as in panel two with Reflejo, you can usually do it in mere seconds by using the Patch Tool. Even if there is background the Patch Tool is super useful. I personal use it the most, I think.

Also generally the exclamation marks are not cleaned because they will be reused. I mean, no need to remove something that you will put there yourself later on. But sometimes the English sfx will differ a lot and the Korean punctuation cannot be reused. Bubbles cleaning usually takes seconds, literally. That same page you posted would take maybe 30 seconds for the bubbles because there is overflowing text in some of them.

But yeah, Tower of God requires A LOT of redrawing, like on Ron Mei's chest. It's not simply cleaning. Cleaning is very easy. Tedious, but easy. Whereas redrawing takes a lot of time, especially if you wish to make it look natural and preserve the original art.

The opinions expressed by this user are solely their own and do not express the views of Batoto and its staff.

Mystery

Mystery

Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

You should try to clean the one they have on the cleaner test.
That sh***t took me 6+ hrs to clean and I think it was still just average(so I probably failed the tC test)...

I think that the colouring part the hardest. Especially when there are multiple gradients due to lightning and shadows effect.
It probably helps having a graphics tablet, since you can then use pressure sensitivity to control flow/opacity...
Someone who is good at digital art would probably make a excellent cleaner.

Edited by Mystery, 15 September 2013 - 05:37 AM.

mhh

mhh

Babo Kim

• Administrators
  • 3,754 posts

I'm happy that you guys enjoy the effort we put into cleaning. (Currently 101010 does more cleaning that I do, though. :D)

Once I have more time I'll try to create some sort of colour cleaning tutorial(s), explaining/demostrating some of the tools photoshop has to offer in that regard.

Corpse

Corpse

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 327 posts

Hopefully I am not off-topic discussing cleaning in this subforum. Let me know if I am.

Your editing is noticeable on the first two panels. Often you can leave some bits like that (or even not cleaned at all) because you will put text over it anyway, but in your case it will stand out even then. Here is The Company's version with finished cleaning/redrawing, I believe:

Spoiler

I am in no way an expert so there may be better ways to do, but here are some suggestions to improve:

• I notice you do the lines manually. That's not recommended, especially if you are using a mouse and not a drawing tablet. What you can use is the Pen Tool. It's one of the most used tools in cleaning comics anyway.
  • When the thing that needs to be removed doesn't have any details on the background, as in panel two with Reflejo, you can usually do it in mere seconds by using the Patch Tool. Even if there is background the Patch Tool is super useful. I personal use it the most, I think.

Also generally the exclamation marks are not cleaned because they will be reused. I mean, no need to remove something that you will put there yourself later on. But sometimes the English sfx will differ a lot and the Korean punctuation cannot be reused. Bubbles cleaning usually takes seconds, literally. That same page you posted would take maybe 30 seconds for the bubbles because there is overflowing text in some of them.

But yeah, Tower of God requires A LOT of redrawing, like on Ron Mei's chest. It's not simply cleaning. Cleaning is very easy. Tedious, but easy. Whereas redrawing takes a lot of time, especially if you wish to make it look natural and preserve the original art.

yes i realized it late but using a pen tool would be much more easy :Dand like you said i used patch tool.

but i dont think it is a must that having a graphic tablet. mouse will be enough if you use pen tool.

You should try to clean the one they have on the cleaner test.
That sh***t took me 6+ hrs to clean and I think it was still just average(so I probably failed the tC test)...

I think that the colouring part the hardest. Especially when there are multiple gradients due to lightning and shadows effect.
It probably helps having a graphics tablet, since you can then use pressure sensitivity to control flow/opacity...
Someone who is good at digital art would probably make a excellent cleaner.

damn it gandalf it looks like shit

img000028.jpg

Ja Wangnan

ArrJay

ArrJay

PotatoJay

• The Company
  • 360 posts
  • LocationRepublic City

Gradients are the fun part of redrawing.

The Company Editor~ I like to redraw things~

KorraSignature.png
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
<Parakewl> If Rachel was from the UK she'd want to see the sun not the stars.

Euodiachloris

Euodiachloris

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 7,336 posts
  • LocationUK

Gradients are the fun part of redrawing.

<shovels about 300g of salt on that> ;)

PlotCap.png

~:Euo will do instead of my whole handle:~

Scanlation-author collaboration not possible?  Nope: it's doable... try Trace and vote with your feet to try to get more like this.

ArrJay

ArrJay

PotatoJay

• The Company
  • 360 posts
  • LocationRepublic City

<shovels about 300g of salt on that> ;)

I'm one of the weird ones that actually likes the redrawing of gradients and colours, art is fun yay!~~~

I'm happy that you guys enjoy the effort we put into cleaning. (Currently 101010 does more cleaning that I do, though. :D)

Once I have more time I'll try to create some sort of colour cleaning tutorial(s), explaining/demostrating some of the tools photoshop has to offer in that regard.

/me totally hasn't been slacking on the cleaning front either...

But yeah, if people are interested in tutorials - they're pretty fun to make!

KorraSignature.png

Corpse

Corpse

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 327 posts

I'm one of the weird ones that actually likes the redrawing of gradients and colours, art is fun yay!~~~

/me totally hasn't been slacking on the cleaning front either...

But yeah, if people are interested in tutorials - they're pretty fun to make!

people would like these tutorials of course but more than a tutorial people needs lots of experience. especially i checked out tC cleaner test, it seemed to me like i could spend a day and most probably would fail. especially the monochrome drawings

but i also wonder one thing why would people need color test since there is ps ?? it says my color IQ is 198 and totally sucks but i doubt i made  a mistake about colors

Edited by ceset, 19 September 2013 - 09:54 AM.

img000028.jpg

Ja Wangnan

ArrJay

ArrJay

PotatoJay

• The Company
  • 360 posts
  • LocationRepublic City

people would like these tutorials of course but more than a tutorial people needs lots of experience. especially i checked out tC cleaner test, it seemed to me like i could spend a day and most probably would fail. especially the monochrome drawings

but i also wonder one thing why would people need color test since there is ps ?? it says my color IQ is 198 and totally sucks but i doubt i made  a mistake about colors

Well, how you perform on a colour test is dependant on numerous factors, e.g. how your eyes actually perform, how good your monitor is at displaying the differences in colours and your ability to recognise the differences between the colours including your ability to make use of this knowledge.

KorraSignature.png

Corpse

Corpse

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 327 posts

Well, how you perform on a colour test is dependant on numerous factors, e.g. how your eyes actually perform, how good your monitor is at displaying the differences in colours and your ability to recognise the differences between the colours including your ability to make use of this knowledge.

well thx. but what differs when cleaning raws??? :huh:  will this cause be a problem??

img000028.jpg

Ja Wangnan

ArrJay

ArrJay

PotatoJay

• The Company
  • 360 posts
  • LocationRepublic City

well thx. but what differs when cleaning raws??? :huh:  will this cause be a problem??

Well not really, it's just (typically) easier to match colours correctly when you have good colour IQ. Telling when something should be full white or a slightly greyer tone etc. E.g. The bubbles in ToG are FEFEFE which isn't completely white (FFFFFFF) and it's something a lot of people can miss.

The colour IQ test is only recommended, not mandatory. Making sure your monitor is correctly calibrated for colours is always a good thing though!

KorraSignature.png