Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

[SPOILERS] Current Chapter Discussion

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

I'm really enjoying this manga, a shoujo work that has some of the best elements of "shoujo" without some of the most cliched ones (angsty romantic entanglements). 

Frankly,  it's almost the same type of story as the more typical shounen sports stories........but again, without some of the more cliched elements of that demographic as well. 

A great story along with lots of great sports action, it has an unusually high number of not only "main" characters, but also many important and  well developed  side characters as well. Very well written thus far.

I really wish this manga got more attention, it really deserves it............though it's only fair to mention it's a 32 volume (complete) work and we're just now in volume 9. So yeah, read expecting a long story :D

http://wingtipcafe.com/en/?page_id=1217

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=7281

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • LocationManetheren, but more realistically Southern California

I agree.  It's got a character depth not found in most shoujo (or shounen) type manga, including sports manga.  I put it on my follow list when the first chapters came out on batoto.  I think development of side characters into real characters instead of cliches or stereotypes is one of the things that separates run of the mill mangakas from the really great ones.  

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I think development of side characters into real characters instead of cliches or stereotypes is one of the things that separates run of the mill mangakas from the really great ones.  

Yeah, I certainly agree with you there, though I'm sure it's a matter of personal preference too...........I look at lots of the most "popular" titles and absolutely know that  not everybody needs lots of plot and character development to be happy. :D

Edited by svines85, 14 September 2013 - 09:40 PM.

Tn7HA0h.png

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Ah well, I guess Ide soundly losing to Rui was to be expected with no more experience than he has..........and I know it might be a while but I seriously can't wait to see something romantic start to happen with Hinako.  :D

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts

I'm also waiting to see some romantic development.  I wonder though, if all can be smooth sailing for any romance of Hinako's, as her cousin's attitude is rather, shall we say, chilling.  We haven't seen much of him lately, but what I saw of their interaction made him out to be close to sociopathic.  Kind of like Nao from LSL on steroids, with a little bit of Kim Heewan from Ties of Compassion thrown in.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I'm also waiting to see some romantic development.  I wonder though, if all can be smooth sailing for any romance of Hinako's, as her cousin's attitude is rather, shall we say, chilling.  We haven't seen much of him lately, but what I saw of their interaction made him out to be close to sociopathic.  Kind of like Nao from LSL on steroids, with a little bit of Kim Heewan from Ties of Compassion thrown in.

Oh yeah, I agree with you totally, he's one of those complete two-faced types..........a shame she's obviously got feelings for him. 

And yeah, it has been a while since we've seen him, that's the only thing with this title...........it's looooong. 32 volumes, it's definitely one being told with the "long haul" in mind.  :D

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts

I have to brag a little.  In the latest chapter (1st episode closer), as soon as the young French player mentioned her having a son, I immediately knew it was Ruui.  I imagine that the idiot sports writer is going to publish this all over Japan (Is she really a sports writer or just a paparazzi?).  This will definitely make for some complications in the coming chapters, and it could go in all sorts of ways.  I hope that the mangaka handles all of it with the skill that's been shown in the manga to date.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I have to brag a little.  In the latest chapter (1st episode closer), as soon as the young French player mentioned her having a son, I immediately knew it was Ruui.  I imagine that the idiot sports writer is going to publish this all over Japan (Is she really a sports writer or just a paparazzi?).  This will definitely make for some complications in the coming chapters, and it could go in all sorts of ways.  I hope that the mangaka handles all of it with the skill that's been shown in the manga to date.

Yeah, you're right, it seems like it's been a long time in coming but we finally got to the core of all of Rui's father's hatred of tennis that's been given to us all this time. I guess we don't really know everything yet, but yeah, it doesn't look like a very happy story, that's for sure. Poor kid, he's kind of been put in a succession of bad positions for a while now. 

Pretty funny at the beginning of the chapter too, I kinda like the little kogal girl character   :D

Spoiler

Edited by svines85, 08 February 2014 - 11:17 PM.

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts

Pretty funny at the beginning of the chapter too, I kinda like the little kogal girl character   :D

Spoiler

Yeah, that was totally cool!

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Ide is just hilarious, oh my God, the Godzilla gag no less   :D

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts

Loved the godzilla gag too.  Ide is hilarious.  He's pretty much of an idiot savant.  He's clueless, socially inept, and really childish, but he's also pretty pure, and a good person.  He's a good athlete because he's intensively competitive and willing to push himself to the limit, but he's a gentleman (after the first tantrum) when he loses, and would probably be magnanimous (in the good sense) when he wins.  Losing, he holds no grudges, but only wants a rematch.  Isn't this what sports is supposed to be all about?  He's also growing, as in the latest chapter, he tells his middle school fan (or thinks it, I can't remember which) that previously, it was all about him.  Now, it's not; it's about the team.  

I really love this manga, and love the characters, especially Ide, Hinako, and Rui.  I would suspect that Freddy is a cliché, but I've known people exactly like him over the years.  Nothing, but nothing can penetrate their "so-called" brain.  All in all, for plot, characters, humor, and goods sports writing, this is one of the best sports manga I've come across in a while.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Wow, the plot just keeps getting deeper, we've apparently added another pair of complex characters to the story, along with Freddy's character now getting attention. 

Haaaa..........Hinako, that girl, playing hard to get I guess.  :D

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts

Yeah, I'm waiting to see what Kuroda's problem with getting back on the court is.  He obviously has a bit of a "pash," as the brits used to say, about Rui as a tennis player (nothing shounen ai intended).  

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Yeah, I'm waiting to see what Kuroda's problem with getting back on the court is.  He obviously has a bit of a "pash," as the brits used to say, about Rui as a tennis player (nothing shounen ai intended).  

Yeah, there's some sort of connection there, I wonder if it isn't some sort of parallel to Ide and his new "little buddy" Shiroda. It doesn't quite seem like the usual senpai/kohai relationship (I mean, let's face it, neither of those two dolts even remember them  :D ) so I guess more like an "admiring junior" that he never even realized was there.  

Tn7HA0h.png

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Hmmm..........so Kuroda's got some sort of emotional/mental issue with playing then. I guess it was shaping up that way but I wasn't for sure till now. And Ide tells Ruui that Kuroda's got a crush on him......hilarious, that boy just doesn't know the meaning of the word "tact".  :D 

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts

This scene was fantastic:

http://vatoto.com/read/_/234424/shanimuni-go_v10_ch57_by_wingtip-cafe/4

Unfortunately, I had a mouthful of pasta when I read it.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

This scene was fantastic:

http://vatoto.com/read/_/234424/shanimuni-go_v10_ch57_by_wingtip-cafe/4

Unfortunately, I had a mouthful of pasta when I read it.

this one?

30e6f55df8.jpg

yeah, Ide's an athlete, he's not always so bright   :D

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts

Yup, that was definitely the scene.  It had to be the most hilarious anti-climax I've ever read.  Took me about fifteen minutes to clean up the monitor and keyboard, and I'm sure there's pesto hidden somewhere still.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Another great chapter..........Ide's such a great character  :D

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts

He sure is.  I think that he's the best idiot savant character I've come across yet.  He doesn't think (as such) and only feels, but his feelings hit the mark far more often than the more intelligent character's reasoned conclusions.  I really have to love him as an MC.  He's an original.