Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Flawed premise to this, energy can not be destroyed.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts
The base premise of this is extremely flawed. Energy can not be destroyed,(or "used up", which is the same as destroying) only transfered. This is a basic concept understood by physics scientists the world over.

But in this story, that which it labels as "entropy" is a reduction of energy. Somehow all this energy and matter just magically disappears because of "entropy". But it's bull.

Also, if all the people merged into the AC in a way that increased their existance rather then reducing it, then the AC would have people to give its answer to.

Edited by truepurple, 19 August 2013 - 03:32 AM.

edawg

edawg

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

The way I understand it, the entropic theory it seems to be put in simplistic terms.  Although engery can by converted (transformed) the same energy may not be able to do the same amount of work.  This may happen somewher along the conversion into matter.  So basically the fuel runs out of the universe an heat death occurs; like gas in a car.  The by product is there but it can't be used for the same thing or the same exact way (at least we haven't figured out how to).  But I havent had a science class in quite a while so I might be way off base.  

Ominous

Ominous

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOn the Other Side of The Monitor
Well, I can't answer your second paragraph but I can give an answer for your third paragraph. If you think about all the people throughout the story, you start noticing one thing:
Spoiler

Edited by Ominous, 19 August 2013 - 05:33 AM.

2140600972.gif

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts
Perhaps based on this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe
Basically, the theory is that heat eventually gets evenly distributed everywhere, with no particular area being warmer or colder then any other.

But even reading this, it's all very loose theory. There is no bases to say only a few stars will form for every thousand or so that burn out. For one, things like gravity and supernovas work to prevent evenly distributed heat.

Edited by truepurple, 19 August 2013 - 06:02 AM.

Tsenzei

Tsenzei

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 30 posts

Entropy, as basically described, is the idea that the energy that it takes to make something is greater than it takes for something to "break."

Essentially, the energy that goes into creating a cup, is less than the energy to break a cup.  This is somewhat flawed, as it's more that the energy is "lost" due to dissipation, but the energy to "capture" that dissipated energy adds onto the "cost" and as long as the "cost" is higher than the return (in other words, as long as it isn't a real perpetual motion machine, or more efficient, that is "entropy.")

Really, the idea is based around energy being Finite (limited) and space being... well... not.  In theory, eventually there wouldn't be enough energy in any given area of space for anything to happen with that energy (as talked about in the above linked Heat Death scenario).

Of course, the theory is based on assumptions of how energy behaves, that space is truly endless, energy truly finite (or a "lower infinity" than space), etc.

Considering that AC found an "answer" to the question though... take that for what you will.

Also, it's only one of many theoretical fates, there's also "Big Crunch" (basically, a reverse of "Big Bang" optionally with multiple Crunches and Bangs as a natural phenomenon) and other possible fates... all without getting into the murky domain of quantum physics (where "observation" changes/determines "nature").

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Really, the idea is based around energy being Finite (limited) and space being... well... not.  In theory, eventually there wouldn't be enough energy in any given area of space for anything to happen with that energy (as talked about in the above linked Heat Death scenario).

"energy being finite" is a inaccurate use of terminology. As I said, the theory states that all energy eventually turns to evenly distributed heat. Energy by known laws of physics, is infinite. Whether you can do anything with that energy or not is a separate issue, and doesn't change the fact that energy is infinite.

But this theory doesn't have much bases in known fact from my understanding.

Edited by truepurple, 19 August 2013 - 02:06 PM.

qlgon

qlgon

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

The base premise of this is extremely flawed. Energy can not be destroyed,(or "used up", which is the same as destroying) only transfered. This is a basic concept understood by physics scientists the world over.

But in this story, that which it labels as "entropy" is a reduction of energy. Somehow all this energy and matter just magically disappears because of "entropy". But it's bull.

Also, if all the people merged into the AC in a way that increased their existance rather then reducing it, then the AC would have people to give its answer to.

The Big Bang theory of the creation of the universe is complimented with the Big Crunch theory. Big Bang theory says that the universe started expansion a lot of years ago from a collision of two particles. The thing is that this expansion isn't supposed to be forever. There will be a moment in which universe reaches it's peak of expansion, and then, it will start collapsing until everything disappears. 

Energy cannot be created or destroyed, but the matter can be destroyed and created. So no, it's base premise isn't flawed, it's that you understood it wrong.

Sorry if there are any mistakes, english is not my native language.