Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Chapter 83. Not the modern way of making sausage.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Haiyami

Haiyami

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts

Sausage is no longer made using pig or sheep intestines. the sausage meat is now wrapped in a disolvable product that isn't animal parts to get the shape of sausage. I can't believe Japan still uses intestines to make the shape of sausage. Modern methods of how to stuff the meat into the shape sausage looks like Is healthier and less likely for bacteria to form and multiply. Cuz even the best person cleaning the intestines can sometimes make a mistake and forget to clean them properly.  Even Germany has strayed away from the traditional way of making sausage. I'm going to be very careful when I eat asian made sausage now.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Well, I've certainly had sausage that had the non-animal casings yeah, but to imply that what they showed in chapter 83 is in some way outrageous is pretty off base.

The bratwurst I've got in my freezer right now are made with the normal, animal based casing (intestine) and for that matter the vast majority of sausage I eat is the same.............at least in the US, in my experience, the fake stuff is the exception and I usually only see it from the biggest, most generic type producers. 

For that matter, in the US Southeast, chitterlings are still a very popular dish. Eat them all the time. And besides, all that talk of bacteria really doesn't matter if food is properly cooked. We clean chitterlings with a garden hose in the backyard...............it's not like you're supposed to eat them before they've been brought to a temperature sufficient to kill everything. Same goes for the sausage they made in chp 83 

And I can tell the fake casing every time, it's like eating paper, I hate it. :)

Tn7HA0h.png

BedrosBoost

BedrosBoost

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 10 posts

I believe they very clearly stated that they were using the traditional way of making sausages, not the modern way. The modern way would be much more automated as well. Also, this is a manga.

panoz

panoz

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationGreece

Not all sausages are bratwurst or hot dogs you know. There are numerous types of sausages and some of them require that you use intestines.

Bacteria etc is a concern only if you don't cook them, as is a problem with everything "pre-cooked". Also, most of the "industrialized" meat products don't even have any meat parts that you would normally eat, inside them. I'd be way more anxious about that fact than the intestines. 

Euodiachloris

Euodiachloris

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 7,336 posts
  • LocationUK

Actually, plenty of sausages still get made with gut. <_< What are you on about? :huh:

Some of the cheapest don't, mind you. :P Heck, you're lucky if they've got recognisable pork in them... <shudders> But, if you get proper sausages like boerewors or Cumberland without gut?  You'll get a mutiny on your hands.  It's as bad as accidentally forgetting the pepper, coriander or coarsely-minced fat and meat when making them, for crying out loud. :mellow:

PlotCap.png

~:Euo will do instead of my whole handle:~

Scanlation-author collaboration not possible?  Nope: it's doable... try Trace and vote with your feet to try to get more like this.

Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 695 posts
  • LocationCheck Rivendell, or Vorbarr Sultana, or Adrilankha. No? Try Vancouver.

In any case, an operation of any size, even using traditional methods, is going to have a pretty structured procedure for doing it.  It's a manufacturing process basically.  Nobody's going to "forget" to clean them properly, the steam cleaning is built into the process.

Now in North America, we have worries throughout the meat industry because of the big agribusiness types cutting every corner they can and moving their people into the regulators so the regulations aren't enforced well.  So you get speedup in the slaughtering, and cheap undertrained workers, and not enough cleaning of blades, so first mistakes are more likely to get bacteria on cutting surfaces to start, and then they're more likely to stay on those surfaces for the next animal and the next . . . and then there's the processes for making hamburger, where they have practices that throw the meat from masses of different carcasses together to be ground.  It's efficient as all get out.  But if there's one animal that got butchered in a way that smeared guts on it, the bacteria get mixed in with alll the other meat and your whole batch of hamburger now has e. coli or whatever.  So it's efficient as all get out at spreading disease, too.  This kind of general problem is a much bigger issue for me than whether you're using intestine.

In Europe I think it's better; the subsidies and the culture seem to discourage that kind of obsessive focus on the bottom line at the expense of quality.

Baniita

Baniita

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts

The author might have also incorporated what she remembered from her own experiences on her farm. Back then, she might not have used the modern methods.

Chinese sausage is deeelicious, though.

117cuhz.jpg25tkzex.gife2igx.gif

tumblr: The Yullenator / Baniita
`{01} [ 神アレ / Y U L L E N ] » dgm----------------
`{02} 🎧 [ ヨシュネク / J O S H N E K U ] » twewy-----
`{03} 💔 [ シズイザ / S H I Z A Y A ] » drrr!!----------

Pan Rysownik

Pan Rysownik

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Well, the pig intestines is the way we were making sausages/kielbasa in Poland for years. It's a tradition for the family to make their own and I never heard of anyone getting sick. It's not something that went away - maybe in some parts of the US or whatever, but I know a couple countries where the old way is still strong. And delicious.

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
  • Locationwathcing you from some place far away
the "modern" way of making sausage is crap. why buy them with inedible skin when you can get some made with intestines? it tastes so much better, and is less likely to contain dangerous toxins. i've no idea what they make non-intestine skins from, but knowing would probably make me trust them even less.
あっ ちょっと死んじまった