Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

nobunaga oda and cao cao

Nobunaga no Chef comparison historical characters

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

aang_sapi

aang_sapi

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Locationbetween those wooden bench and table

Idk if it's just me, but I think that at every art/manga/manhua i've seen, their characters seem to have the same aura. y'know, some kinda tyrant/intimidating aura...

I almost always can guess whether a pict of a character is nobunaga or cao cao even it's my first time seeing. (luckily one is chinese and other is japanese so I won't mistake them for each other cuz they always drawn in different clothes)

not to mention, in Warriors Orochi (a game by KOEI) their faces are identical (well I kinda expected it anyways considering how KOEI's games art style)

Spoiler

beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and is only skin deep.

Liar

Liar

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 472 posts

The two of them were both ambitious warlords (who both had progressive ideas when it came to management and administration) that wanted to unify their land, but were thwarted in the end. It's hard not to see the similarities.

Archmage Lezard

Archmage Lezard

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 30 posts

Read Kouta Hirano's Drifters - it's an interesting take on Nobunaga. It shows him less as an intimidating tyrant, and more as a scheming, ruthless, and brilliant strategist. While in a lot of other manga, Nobunaga's ruthlessness is primarily his pride and his way of sending a message, in Drifters his cruelty is much more calculated. You get a sense that he does those heartless things as part of a greater plan.

http://vatoto.com/comic/_/comics/drifters-r759

Edited by Archmage Lezard, 07 September 2013 - 11:43 PM.

There is only one Swagamoto, and I am his prophet

Ellen Baker

Ellen Baker

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 409 posts

I blame KOEI Games for that.

Spoiler

tumblr_o5aovyN5Ko1u41kbzo1_540.png

Spoiler

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • LocationArizona (or somewhere in the forest riding a unicorn)

^ oh nice portraits there^

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
  • Locationwathcing you from some place far away

his looks are based on old portraits, i think.

this manga doesn't make him look much like a demon at all. his personality in this manga reminds me most of ru baraba dom, in that enemies fall to his intelligent strategies and ruthlessness, while underlings fall to his temper. but overall a nice guy who cares a lot more for his friends than he'll ever express in words, hardly even in actions.

anyone with an ambition to unify a country would have to be prepared to exert some cruelty. history is full of them, cruel english emperors, chinese emperors, not too many japanese, oda got that role. there were our early norwegian kings, lots of them everywhere.

one of the scarier guys in modern times was hitler, himmler would be the even crueler warlord serving under him.

あっ ちょっと死んじまった

Drakiren

Drakiren

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSweden's Capital

and you have also Vlad Tepes, Gengis Khan (Temujin).

And i do not see Oda here as evil or ruthless or even brutal in that way, he act the way of war. and the latest chapter shows that he has a plan that will work simply beacuse it is so outrageous. his enemies will think of hm as a mad man and fear will most likely grow due to the fact he goes against the "gods".

So it is simply tactics and strategy that instills fear to make moral drop in the other armies and to scare the populace so much that it becomes a problem for his enemies since they have to retain the situation.

When it comes to CaoCao not much to say there more than the games, havn't read romance of the three kingdoms "original one" so i cannot really say.

Sakuratea

Sakuratea

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBelow the sky
It is the moustache.
They are all pictured to have manly moustache. Oda, Cao Cao, Hitler, Temujin.

Even now, I still think every man with a thick moustache is scary and charismatic. Almost all off the scary teacher I met in school was with thick moustache.
I heard even Indian police departement encurage their officer to have moustache in order to show their charisma.

So, I think it's just the way they draw it to make the character appear as the history told.

Edited by Sakuratea, 09 June 2014 - 08:46 AM.

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • LocationArizona (or somewhere in the forest riding a unicorn)

If you like historical mangas or three kingdoms stuff I would recommend The Ravages of Time.  Excellent work.   I think Song of the Long March would appeal to readers of this manga as well. 

Edited by inzaratha, 14 June 2014 - 08:19 PM.