Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

A way to filter latest updates

* * * * * 3 votes

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

maugreas

maugreas

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

I don't read Yaoi (or Yuri). I tried but it isn't my cup of tea. And I'm sure some people have a genre they really don't care about (might be mature or mecha or whatever). What I would like to have would be a filter to remove/select genres or tags that we ignore/desire. Like that, when we see new chapters, we only see the genres that actually interest us. I tried using other ways but nothing's really convenient.

Daktyl

Daktyl

Discord King

• Contrib Mods
  • 825 posts
  • LocationMI, USA

It's always the yaoi... :(

As for the suggestion, I am pretty sure this has been brought up before, but I am in pain today and thus not in the mood to look it up.

I wouldn't mind having this though. I personally wouldn't use it as I don't judge a manga by it's genres, rather by it's story.

E.g: There are some shoujo mangas I like, though in general I hate them (because they all follow the SAME. FREAKING. BASE PLOTLINE).

My words are my own, and do not represent Batoto in any way, shape, or form unless otherwise stated in the post itself ^.^

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Of course the "i" button is already there in "Latest Updates" so it's not like you can't look at the title and disregard it yourself without very much effort.

You know, just because a particular title has a genre on it that you don't like doesn't mean it's only about that genre and has absolutely no merit or value. Even a yaoi or yuri tag might only be referring to the most periphery of characters or story content and carte blanche saying "I just don't even want to see them" might well be a pretty narrow minded way to look for new things to read and result in missing out on something you might actually want to consider. 

Tn7HA0h.png

Jaken

Jaken

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

While I do agree that if you filter a whole genre you might miss a real gem I still would love have such a possibility. There is so many titles added every day that it is much more likely that they will be simply overlooked because of so much content. Since we can already filter releases according to a selected language I believe that such a feature can be implemented. If not, perhaps it could be possible to create a manual "blacklist"? Something like the "i" button?

Shamune

Shamune

Potato

• Members
  • 118 posts

What about a way to make it so that you can mark individual series to not show up in the latest chapters feed?  I know for me, there are some series I'm always clicking on because I have a bad memory and the thumbnail looks interesting, but it was one which I dropped a while ago because I didn't like it.  It would be nice to expunge them so they don't keep showing up.

That way, you can give a series a chance, but if you don't want to see more chapters of it showing up in your feed in future, you can tick it off.  Or in the OP's case, if they clicked on it and saw genres they didn't like, they wouldn't have to see more chapters for it showing up in their feed.  I have something similar in place for my mangaupdates feed, where all the series I've dropped are marked with a blue dot, so I will stop clicking on them because the title looks interesting (rather than blocking a whole genre, because I might find some gems).

And I have no idea whether it would be feasible to implement or if it's already been suggested and shot down, but it would be nice :P

Edited by Shamune, 09 August 2013 - 09:05 PM.

SaiST

SaiST

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Would also appreciate a way to filter out certain genres.

What about limiting the updates of followed series to your preferred language? Or is there already a way to do this?

Edited by SaiST, 05 September 2013 - 12:41 PM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

What about limiting the updates of followed series to your preferred language? Or is there already a way to do this?

Yeah, that's already there. On the right hand side of the page in My Follows there's "Language Settings"  with an "Alter Settings" button just below it.............just click and select your language. I think the default is "show all" is why you get everything if you don't change it. 

Tn7HA0h.png

SaiST

SaiST

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Got it! Thank you very much.

Snow-san

Snow-san

Potato

• Contributor
  • 106 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Canada

Of course the "i" button is already there in "Latest Updates" so it's not like you can't look at the title and disregard it yourself without very much effort.

You know, just because a particular title has a genre on it that you don't like doesn't mean it's only about that genre and has absolutely no merit or value. Even a yaoi or yuri tag might only be referring to the most periphery of characters or story content and carte blanche saying "I just don't even want to see them" might well be a pretty narrow minded way to look for new things to read and result in missing out on something you might actually want to consider. 

I agree with you~ I don't care if it has Yuri or Yaoi, most of the time the tags are inaccurate anyway. Like the GB tag, dude wheres girl close ONCE and has NOTHING to do with the story and its tagged as a GB... I generally don't read yuri/yaoi, but sometimes its just a sub-plot so I don't care. If it catches my interest, i'll read it a bit, regardless of genre... I just wish there was a genre for B-H(Borderline Hentai) because the smut tag is misleading, like "Oh, it has smut... OMG!! >.< This ain't smut, this, this is H!!" 

But i digress, most ppl are just lazy. Technology has made people placid and wanting everything done by itself with no effort involved whatsoever.

Edited by Snow-san, 06 September 2013 - 03:45 PM.

"Friends?! How dare you accuse me of having friends! I'll make you eat those words."
-- Gig - Soul Nomad & the World Eater's

Gnah

Gnah

Fingerling Potato

• Donator
  • 64 posts

I agree with the OP. There are a few genres of which I have never ever found a single one I liked, however many mangas are tagged questionably. With the amount of new contributions every day, I'd really like to be able to filter them because it increases my chances to find a gem a lot. I'd be more than willing to take the risk of missing a good manga once in blue moon in exchange for that.

Edoc

Edoc

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts

Do you guys have any idea about how much shoujo is released each day? I like to check the front page every day and the spam of shoujos is unbelievable... and yaois aren't exactly on the lower side either.

as always, options to filter can only be a good thing, if USERS don't want it they don't have to use it, I hope nobody starts bullshiting like with the random button topic...

Dafortminor

Dafortminor

Omnipotence

• Global Mods
  • 752 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

I like this idea, I never read Yaoi I never read Shoujo and others, if a latest release came I would not want it to be a genre I never read. A filter button would come in handy for that such as the one for language. 

EDIT: Also added it on suggestion list. 

Edited by Dafortminor, 26 September 2013 - 01:07 AM.

Best and fastest way to contact me is via Discord: Daffy#9194.

Gendalph

Gendalph

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 576 posts
  • Locationbeyond the Veil
IMO: latest updates page was meant to have global updates, for everything (almost everything) else we have... Advanced search!
http://vatoto.com/search?advanced=1
You just have to select Order by: Latest update, Order: Descending, and select genres to want/don't wasn't too be displayed.
No Yaoi, no Shoujo, sorted by updates: http://vatoto.com/search?genres=;e35;e29&genre_cond=and&order_cond=update&order=desc
The only drawback is that I'm not sure if it will obey your language filter, so some titles that have been updated in other languages may show up.

Edoc

Edoc

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts

IMO: latest updates page was meant to have global updates, for everything (almost everything) else we have... Advanced search!
http://vatoto.com/search?advanced=1
You just have to select Order by: Latest update, Order: Descending, and select genres to want/don't wasn't too be displayed.
No Yaoi, no Shoujo, sorted by updates: http://vatoto.com/search?genres=;e35;e29&genre_cond=and&order_cond=update&order=desc
The only drawback is that I'm not sure if it will obey your language filter, so some titles that have been updated in other languages may show up.

That is not the same, it doesn't show thumbs, nor is filtered by language.

Adimiss

Adimiss

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationArizona

Blacklisting Comic Titles (Link of the Suggestion and Link of Suggestion)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Instead of having it be titles. I feel like it would be better to blacklist certain genre. When black listing said genre it would just not have that genre appear on the site for them. In recent updates, in the advance search they would automatically be desellected and when hitting the random button they would not show up. As for reasons why It just helps save time when searching for something the individual want to find. After reading through the other posts in the suggestion board it seems like people would really appreciate the blacklisting of genres instead of titles themselves.

zemega

zemega

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 13 posts

Bump. Because I would like the same. Would like to exclude some stuff. For example see Novel Updates Filtering http://www.novelupdates.com/release-filtering/. Another one is https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/8705-mangafoxcensor a hack that I'm sure can be replicated on bato.to .

zemega

zemega

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 13 posts

A different bump. I would like to suggest a more advanced filtering method. I don't mind reading 'Sports'. I don't mind reading 'Shonen', but I really don't like publication that has both 'Shonen' and 'Sports'. Can you make a filter that is able to leave publication that has 'Sports' only or 'Shonen' only alone, but filter out publication that has both 'Sports' and Shonen'?

knowngni

knowngni

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

My 10-cents. I'd recommend going with the option to hide a series from the latest releases page per (Another user suggested that it would be nice to have a feature to "expunge" a certain type of comic, so that same comic does not show on their home page if it was updated. )

It would make the lives of many users and mine much more easier. Blanket hiding a series based on a genre/category isn't that great because sometimes a series will turn out to be a hidden gem. For example I don't like sports series but I do like Prince of Tennis because that was my first & last sports series. Or once in a blue moon there is a really good shoujo that the art didn't turn me off so I got into it.

Some people may not like it because it seems a lot of work, but its better than seeing a series everyday in your releases page that you don't want to keep seeing. Not to mention there are so many series that come out that its difficult to remember each and every one whether you like it, or not, or just didn't catch your interest. I'd rather judge each series individually than to blanket hide a genre and miss out on a hidden gem.

A good example of this is with NovelUpdates as per zemega said two posts above.

For example shown below, here is the normal "Latest Release" and my "Latest Releases" pages for Sunday (Note that its only 1:32am  and there is already a ton of titles already on the unfiltered releases)

Note: that the Blue book icon indicates a title I am "following". Pink highlight indicates un-read. Green highlight indicates its been read. A white series is default, so I did not mark it as "follow" or "hide" probably because I didn't get around to judging the series yet. My current settings hide past read chapters beyond the last read. Ex. (chapers 31-33 come out in a single day and I've read them all, only ch33 would show in the list)

This is great because when a new series I have not judged comes out I can easily see it, and my "Latest Releases" page isnt cluttered up the wa-zoo. (I don't think anyone likes how long their Latest Releases are on Batoto) 
phoD0.jpg

Edited by knowngni, 05 June 2016 - 09:15 AM.

bastek66

bastek66

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 46 posts

Why not expand Language Settings into Filter Settings that would have, beside languages, genres/tags and types?

zemega

zemega

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 13 posts

Another bump. Because Bato.to insist on highlighting Yaoi publication right at the top of the front page, I'm starting to hate this website. I suggest Bato.to pick up the pace and enable release filtering like the one in NovelUpdates.