Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

This comic breaks the mold for this art style.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

I do like this comic. I thought from the artwork style that it would be one of those lame romance stories that come in two main tired out variations 

1. Reluctant or angsty male homosexual love (I've never seen lesbian love take center stage in a comic for some reason) where the MC is a nervous and feminine type who is not aware of his sexual preference, or not willing to admit to it (alternatively, whether the MC is aware of it or not is never clarified at all) And the other is a outrageous guy who is manipulating things so that they have frequent encounters and often keeping the MC off kilter, often with a sexual or romantic slant inserted somewhere. 

2. Some innocent wide eyes girl who is forced into a intimate situation with the main male character, perhaps even kidnapped by the main male character. This pushy "love interest" often forces her to do lots of stuff, including and especially intimate stuff, he may forcefully kiss her and embrace her, force her to share the same bed with him, may shamelessly expose himself to her, or unabashedly look at her when she is under-dressed, he may force her to wear provocative clothes, and like mentioned before, he may kidnap her. He may even threaten to force her to marry him (it may supposedly be justified by a bet or a debt, even if the debt isn't hers) If the marriage force, that will usually come up near the beginning of the comic, but not be a issue since she will fall in love with him near the end and willingly marry him. 

So the guy in this mold may end up forcing the girl to do nearly anything short of actual sex AKA rape and the stuff just before sex or sex adjacent (oral sex,non-penis insertion etc) Yet somehow he manages to come off as the wounded badass but actual kind hearted guy in the end (well not necessarily to the readers, but the author and the girl will usually treat them this way) who the girl can not help but eventually fall in love with.

These two molds for that particular art style, with the literal giant wide eyed characters with giant eyelashes, and other aspects that identify this style hard to put into words, a style found in this comic (though not quit as extreme here)  So consistently at least partially follows one of those two molds mentioned, that it is certainly worth making a thread about one that completely avoids this mold, this is that thread.

The girl is interested in the guy from the start, the guy does not show romantic interest in her at all at first. She chases him, and its not a vigorous forceful creepy chase like in the reverse, the usual mold (though I suppose asians would see that as too unfeminine for a female character to behaving like the mold male characters often behave) Even more interesting, there is a actual mutual interest outside of some romance dance, and the girl is pursuing more then just the guy. To me, it works, makes for a good read. I am not saying this is the best comic I have ever read, but am sure I can say Chopin is the best comic I have ever read, using this particular art style.

Oh two more asides, I am not a fan of this artwork outside of the story type that usually accompanies it. But the story here is good enough for me to ignore that. And, this comic seems to be a slight mix between the giant lash style, and the more typical non-romance giant eyed style, rather then being pure giant lash. Like how characters aren't drawn with massive eyelashes for example and a few other things. But its still mostly leaning toward the giant lash style.

Edited by truepurple, 17 July 2013 - 07:33 PM.