Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Esdese & Tatsumi

• Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Esdese's a selfish evil person who hurts people for amusement, encourages it in her followers. She figures anything you are strong enough to do, is justified. And has killed, hurt, tortures thousands of people, just because she can and it gives her pleasure. I can't think of anyone more evil then Esdese's in this comic.

"Justice girl" (can't recall name, so using nickname from posts) at least tried to do the right thing, even if shes so twisted and messed up that she can no longer see what that is. If someone had been able to open her eyes. I would have liked to have seen that before her death. Even better, someone straightening out her head enough for her to see the errors of her ways, then her going off to live a quiet life.

Tatsumi cares about people, and making the world a kinder more just place, one case at a time.

So I fail to see how anyone can think Esdese & Tatsumi make any kind of sense as a couple. If they did end up as a couple (and I don't see that as a chance) then I would be crushed as a fan of this series, I would definitely stop reading it.  Yet some glorify the death of "Justice girl", WTH.

Edited by truepurple, 03 January 2014 - 06:43 PM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Spoiler
I can't think of anyone more evil then Esdese's in this comic.
Spoiler

Oh, I don't know, how about these guys? from chp 23.5 by the way...........

Spoiler

Personally, I'd say organizing a dog on human rape would probably give almost anybody a pretty good run for their money on the title of most evil. 

And I doubt there's many readers who are seriously expecting a Tatsumi / Esdese couple.............if they are it's pretty darned long odds with what we know. 

And who wouldn't be glad to see the crazy girl die? Hell, she was way worse than Esdese, at least Esdese isn't totally insane........and in a way Esdese isn't really evil, to her this (the brutality) is the norm for someone in her position. 

Tn7HA0h.png

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Why is insane worse then evil?

Esdeses buried tens of thousands of people ALIVE, and not soldiers.  She cares nothing about killing random people unassociated with anything she might call a foe, or having her underlings do so. The one time she showed mercy, it was to keep a conflict going so that she would have a excuse to kill more people. She tortures people for fun! Lots of people! I don't remember the dog rape part, but that still seems tame in comparison to everything we know Esdeses has done, not counting that which has been implied shes done. (and by saying this, I am in no means condoning bestiality rape) And no, her cruelty and brutality goes well beyond anything called for someone in her position, even anything the minister has called for.

How is crazy worse then evil? Crazy can't be helped usually, if someones mind is cracked, its cracked. If you think of it, justice girl was handicapped, what next, you guys going to cheer on the death of the blind and deaf because of their handicap? She really couldn't help herself. I don't recall a single chapter where she has killed anyone she didn't honestly think was evil in her diseased mind.  And she has shown herself willing to be kind to people she doesn't think are evil on multiple occasions, like when she first met Tatsumi and with those kids. Esdeses on the other hand, her killing and torture is a choice, and esdeses has killed scores more people.  True, her lack of any concept of morality or ideals, means she at least isn't a hypocrite, but that just shows how bad she really is too.

Justice girls problem was that she was unable to see justice and morality in anything other then black and white terms. Since that is hard, especially when you are on the wrong side without realizing it, she simply trimmed of/ignored anything that didn't fit her preconceived notions. It clearly started or at least set in majorly when her captain, who she idolized and didn't know any of the evil things he did, was killed by a infamous group of assassins. Her law and order hero was killed by assassins, her grief and rage, desire for revenge,  twisting her mind. Before this, I think she was as innocent as Tatsumi was when he first came to town.

Edited by truepurple, 06 July 2013 - 12:44 PM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Seryuu......... bat-shit crazy girl's name was Seryuu............sorry, "Justice Girl" just makes her sound too much like an old DC Comics heroine like Wonder Woman or something. 

Come on, are you kidding? You're trying to build a case for defense of a character that, with every stroke of the pen, the author portrayed as probably the most irredeemable? Even her own team had issue with her..............the first thing Wave did when he recognized what they had on their hands with Seryuu was run and tell Esdese how concerned he was. Why/how is crazy worse than "evil"? Eaaaassyyyy. Normal people, "evil" or otherwise, act in predictable, reasonable ways...........crazy people don't. You can even reason with "evil", crazy is just crazy. 

Sorry, Seryuu was a mad dog, frothing at the jowls and everything. Getting put down was the most merciful thing to be done. 

Tn7HA0h.png

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Judge them by action:

Seryuu:

Has probably killed tens of people, perhaps hundreds all of who are "known criminals", people already conveniently labeled as criminals by other people. And many of those were fed to her dog(who I think needs to eat meat to keep functioning), probably would have been killed anyway, tortured first. Has never killed anyone where she had any idea of them not being evil.

Has never tortured anyone that we know of.

Is actually kind to people she doesn't view as evil.

Has a strong and worthy ideal that she fights for. Just that her craziness has prevented her from correctly applying that ideal. If the night raven weren't seen as outlaw assassins who killed her precious law and order hero, then she would probably have had no problem fighting with the night-ravens to help people.

Esdeses

Has killed at least tens of thousands of people, most likely hundreds of thousands of people. Women, children, random people who have nothing to do with anything, she doesn't care. Torturing them to death and giving them horrible deaths is a great joy to her. She seeks any and all excuses to kill more people. Her one time mercy being a excuse to kill more people. 

Torturing is her huge, and perhaps only, hobby of hers (other then slaughter) She also encourages other people to do evil things, to torture and kill. 

Her only known compassion is Tatsumi, who she has decided to love based on a very shallow & absurdly specific set of rules(where only Tatsumi and probably Wave have really filled), but would probably torture and kill him if she found out he was working against her and could not be turned. And her underlyings in her group, which she at least treats decently like human beings, but again, I am sure would have no compunction about torturing and killing if she ever thought were working against her.

Judging them by Intent:

Seryuu: Kills people for the worthy cause of bringing justice and order to the masses. Just too crazy to see who is truly evil (like Esdeses), and who is good. Esdeses btw has condoned all of Seryuus actions (except perhaps her compassionate ones, which she tolerates)  So Esdeses  shares in most or all of Seryuus evil deeds, but the reverse is not true, I doubt Seyruu even knew a fraction of the kind of stuff Esdeses has done.

Esdeses: Kills and tortures people because she can, to prove her strength(and because she can, because she's strong), and because she finds it fun. Without even a cause to justify her killings, Esdeses reasons for killing and torture are true pure evil. The only way she could get more evil is if she was trying to end the world or some cheesy motive like that.

So whether we judge them by action or intent, Seryuu comes out on top many times better a character then Esdeses, Esdeses being many times more evil then Seyruu. And if I were to wish one of them to die, it would be Esdeses. Of course as the boss evil person, the main villain aside from the shadowy minster we know little about, her death any time soon is very unlikely. But to suggest the main villain end up with the MC hero makes me want to barf. And to glory in Seyruus death considering her disability almost seems evil itself, and a definite failure at appreciating both characters as they have been shown in this comic.

It is true that Seruu has a really ugly face (and so does her dog) when she is attacking a evil target in a difficult fight. Where as Esdesas, keeps a calm demeanor no matter what, so far from what we have seen.  Is that and Seruu killing two members of night raven directly, where Esdesas having a crush on one of the members (unknowingly of course)  perhaps the only bases for those who love Esdesas and hate Seruu? Or perhaps some of you have a ugly prejudice against the mentally ill as well? You talk about it being a mercy, but her craziness wasn't hurting/causing pain for Seruu in the first place.

Edited by truepurple, 06 July 2013 - 08:24 PM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

^^ Meh, don't care.

It's a manga, like any other entertainment medium, you take what you're given and make a decision as to whether or not to suspend disbelief and buy into what the author/director/producer is feeding you.

It's really, really  simple in this case........

Seryuu = bad (no redeeming value........ everybody CHEER when the crazy girl who laughed and cavorted while one our beloved support characters was eaten alive dies a horrible death herself...........Yaaayyyyyyyy!!!!! \o/\o/\o/).  

Esdese? .........not so much.

Esdese = bad (with redeeming value in our story.............an intriguing character with established  depth as well as a romantic attraction to our acknowledged Main Character). I personally don't need to, or see any purpose in  analyzing  this very black and white story any more than what the author has given me to work with.  

Edited by svines85, 06 July 2013 - 09:23 PM.

Tn7HA0h.png

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

I've already demonstrated Seryuus redeeming values. The story has made a point of pointing out her redeeming values.

What established depth with Esdeses? I've not read such a thing in this comic.  And her redeeming value is just her romantic attraction to the MC?  She's not that bad because of her crush on the MC?

I am just going by what the author has given me to work with as well. Just that you don't have to cry when sad music plays, even when it's a dropped sandwich, and ignore horrible deaths, if the story doesn't pay them much heed either.

You don't care? You apparently care enough to discuss all of this.

Edited by truepurple, 06 July 2013 - 10:43 PM.

Roflsaucer

Roflsaucer

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts

How is crazy worse then evil? Crazy can't be helped usually, if someones mind is cracked, its cracked. If you think of it, justice girl was handicapped, what next, you guys going to cheer on the death of the blind and deaf because of their handicap? She really couldn't help herself. I don't recall a single chapter where she has killed anyone she didn't honestly think was evil in her diseased mind.  And she has shown herself willing to be kind to people she doesn't think are evil on multiple occasions, like when she first met Tatsumi and with those kids. Esdeses on the other hand, her killing and torture is a choice, and esdeses has killed scores more people.  True, her lack of any concept of morality or ideals, means she at least isn't a hypocrite, but that just shows how bad she really is too.

You DO realize the reason Esdese is so hooked on her idea of "Strength" is because her entire tribe was killed, right? So given the logic you're using, Esdese's actions are also a result of a "cracked" mind.

And not to mention, with how Esdese acts with Tatsumi, it shows she IS capable of being considerate. In the chapter Tatsumi and Esdese get trapped on that island, when Tatsumi finds out about her tribe getting killed, he says something along the lines of "Getting her to change her thoughts is going to be difficult."

People dislike Seryuu a lot more because she had no chance of "Redemption". Her idea of evil and good were VERY clear-cut. She wasn't changing her mind anytime soon.

And another thing, Esdese is a soldier. Let's say America declares war on some country, and it results in thousands of deaths, do you say "Those fucking American soldiers, killing all those people"? No, you blame the higher ups who made the call. Everything Esdese does is done under orders from the Prime Minister, the people she tortures are, if I remember correctly, sent to her by the Prime Minister.

Esdese is simply playing on the wrong team.

As for whether Tatsumi and Esdese go together, I think they do in a way. Tatsumi is someone who seeks strength, and Esdese is someone who has strength. In this respect, the certainly go together. The only issues with them ever actually being together in the manga are obvious. One of which is the fact that she's on the side of the Empire, and the Second being her ideas of strength. The only things I can see happening are either A. Tatsumi and Esdese fight, with Tatsumi being unable to get her to change and killing her or B. Tatsumi and Esdese fight, resulting in a stalemate, during which she is tossed aside by the Prime Minister for not beating Tatsumi, and then she switches sides. "B" is highly interchangable, but the point is that Tatsumi and Esdese fight and the results cause a change of heart in Esdese. So, she's either going to become an ally, or die.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

And not to mention, with how Esdese acts with Tatsumi, it shows she IS capable of being considerate. In the chapter Tatsumi and Esdese get trapped on that island, when Tatsumi finds out about her tribe getting killed, he says something along the lines of "Getting her to change her thoughts is going to be difficult."

At the end of that arc, Tatsumi specifically realizes that there is no getting her to change. 

And where in that is her being considerate? Plus any consideration she shows Tatsumi, who she has a crush on, doesn't count. And even at that, she sort of treats him like a toy, she grabbed him regardless of his feelings in the matter, remember, he had to escape her crush, she tried to force him to join them, to be who she wanted him to be.

Esdese is a soldier. Let's say America declares war on some country, and it results in thousands of deaths, do you say "Those fucking American soldiers, killing all those people"? No, you blame the higher ups who made the call. Everything Esdese does is done under orders from the Prime Minister, the people she tortures are, if I remember correctly, sent to her by the Prime Minister.

Esdese is simply playing on the wrong team.

You are wrong. She has tortured people for fun, and not specifically sent to her. Where does it say her job includes torture? When has she been sent anyone to torture? She has a full time job as a general. It's her fun hobby.  Remember the scene where she advises the torturers on how to prolong boiling a bunch of people alive. Those tens of thousands of people she buried alive, she choose to do that. That person she spared to prolong conflict, so she could kill more people, her call too, why would the minister want her to create more wars for them?

Her respect for strength seems only to be that those who are strong enough to do something, may do it. She won't change her position because she sees someone elses strength, she doesn't seem to respect strength in that way. She wouldn't join the rebels because she likes her position, which allows her respect, mass killing, and torture, why would she give any of that up?

People dislike Seryuu a lot more because she had no chance of "Redemption". Her idea of evil and good were VERY clear-cut.

She has/had (we don't know for sure she's dead) at least as much of a chance of redemption as Esdese.  Her ideas of justice, law and order, weren't that outrageous, and her dedication to those ideals commendable. If Seyruu could be forced to see the cause and effect, and injustice and cruelty of the system she is trying to protect, she would either find redemption, or break down completely, but either way she would no longer be a threat to the very ideals she promoted.

You DO realize the reason Esdese is so hooked on her idea of "Strength" is because her entire tribe was killed, right? So given the logic you're using, Esdese's actions are also a result of a "cracked" mind.

Your logic here is extremely flawed. The reason she values people being able to do what ever they can do (like the very definition of chaotic, she is so not a law & order type) has no bearing on anything. So it was because her tribe was killed, but also because of how her tribe lived, and because of what her father said about it all. So what? 

Seruu's problem is that she is divorced from reality, and feels compelled in her mission of justice. She is obsessive and delusional (and possibly dead)  The character is clearly redeemable, minds can heal, delusions can be dispelled.

But how do you redeem someone like Esdeses who chooses imposing pain and death on many people because she likes these things? She justifies it with her strength, but that is just a excuse and a means to the end of more pain and death. While her philosophy is flawed, like with any truly evil persons, her mind isn't "cracked". In fact, the blood she took, she survived it because her mind wasn't cracked but very strong, and didn't become cracked after either. Perhaps the blood tainted her more evil though, though clearly she was already evil before drinking it. Her loving of death and torture,  probably helped its evil mental commands not drive her mad and even more proof of her being evil from the start.

Edited by truepurple, 08 July 2013 - 12:59 PM.

Grenji

Grenji

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

Bit of a late response, but I'll have to agree with truepurple here. Esdese, as great and attractive of a character as she is, is an irredeemable monster of a human being on par with ancient Assyrian kings. Objectively speaking, the more sympathetic and tragic character between herself and Seryuu is the latter, especially considering she was ignorant of the evil committed by her superiors (Ogre and Style among others); problem is Seryuu has batshit crazy facial expressions quite often which turned people away from her (as well as the whole Schere thing); Out of all the Jaegers (sp), I pitied her the most. While Bors was cognizant of his evil deeds the whole time, Seryuu never got the chance to open her eyes.

That said, I have to reiterate, I love Esdese as a character and feel she contributes greatly to this series, but I readily admit she's a disgusting human being who's evil to the core.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Thankyou, and yeah, I do like Esdese as a villain to love to hate, her character makes more sense then those who just want to destroy the world(which has been way over done), and is more unique then the ubiquitous  greedy villain type.

And while it would make me sick to think of her and  Tatsumi actually hooking up, it was fun to see Esdese being so forcefully courted by the enemy side, especially when coming from such a contrastingly innocent place. Esdese is definitely evil, and even the way she grabbed Tatsumi was thoughtless of his feelings, but her crush on him seemed innocent and sweet in a way. 

But Seryuu as well is a character I like in the series.(like alot of characters in this series, just wish it/they weren't so black and white) And while it does sort of hurt to see good person characters you have gotten attached to get killed, that aspect alone, that unpredictability it adds, makes this comic more fun.  The only thing I don't like about the Seryuu character is how she was never given a chance, not by the author and clearly not by many of the readers either. I would have liked to have seen a few  chinks in her craziness, some level/moments of sanity to contrast by, and as previously mentioned, a chance at redemption, at least before death. And while it seems extremely likely she is dead, we don't know that for sure.

Edited by truepurple, 03 August 2013 - 11:56 PM.

Abdullah

Abdullah

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 30 posts

I don't think it will happen, it is a prrety long shot 

but i still kinda wish it would happen  ^_^  i am guilty of that

Edited by Abdullah, 11 August 2013 - 11:06 AM.

20.jpg

Fujita

Fujita

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

Eh, a few things

We had an entire chapter dedicated to showing how Esdese is just intrinsically messed up. Even before anything happened to her tribe, her father, the guy with the whole "strong will destroy the weak" philosophy, wonders whether she's missing something human when he sees her grinning while vivisecting a danger beast.

You could make a case that her tribe's annihilation reinforced her views about the strong and the weak, and hell, I'd agree. But it's a stretch to say that it broke her the way Seryuu losing her mentor did. Her actions aren't guided by revenge for her tribe, or by the brutality of the danger beast's blood in her veins. Arguably, she was already as cruel as said danger beast, which was why she could take it without going insane.

And she's unambiguously more evil than Seryuu or the dog rape people. I mean, look, is ordering your men to go out and rape and murder an entire city's worth of people better than the dog rape? How?

As for Esdese being a soldier, sure, she is. And she did do the whole burying thing on the Empire's orders. The massacre of the Ban tribe, not so much, because hell if the Empire wants more rebellions even if she does. But that's completely overlooking that she joined the army because prey was getting scarce, i.e. to kill people.

Saying that she's following orders in order to excuse her wrong. She could choose not to slaughter people willy-nilly, could have defected, run away. But no, she carries out the orders and does it with a smile on her face. Not an excuse at all.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

And she's unambiguously more evil than Seryuu or the dog rape people. I mean, look, is ordering your men to go out and rape and murder an entire city's worth of people better than the dog rape? How?

Obviously it's a matter of personal perspective, but yes, in my opinion Esdese isn't inherently "evil" at all............I personally haven't characterized anybody as "evil" other than the gang from 23.5......in this thread that is........ other characters I'd be willing to debate. 

I'll try, I make no promises, try to explain my reasoning. Again, no promises, but I think to understand what I mean,  one has to have a certain amount of life experience to, if not accept, at least understand some of these harsh realities. 

The main point here is that Esdese "serves".........in other words she is in "service" to her country as,  in what is for all intents and purposes,  a wager of war. Every.........single..........thing.........that's she's done, from the torture chambers to the field, from ordering her troops to commit what could easily be considered atrocities to committing them herself..............can all be justified in that context. Is it pretty? No, obviously not...........war isn't pretty. She serves her country and king and those are decisions she's entrusted to make in order to serve the greater good. Justified actions, no matter how brutal they may seem to the outside view, within the context of the story and from the viewpoint of those in power.

Those guys from 23.5? The family from chapter 1? Who did they serve? What purpose did their acts achieve? None. Random brutality for the sole purpose of just that.........just fuckin' people up cuz they could and they got off on it. Now that's evil.  There's no possible way for anybody to find any reasonable justification in/for their acts. And there's what makes the difference. 

And Seryuu was just insane.............sorry, no way to condone her, no matter how she ended up that way, no matter that she talked normal every now and then..........her actions and thoughts as the author gave them to us showed her to be utterly irredeemable. A mad dog and no more than that. Again, not "evil",  just insane and essentially, ultimately,  a danger to everyone. 

Tn7HA0h.png

Fujita

Fujita

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

Obviously it's a matter of personal perspective, but yes, in my opinion Esdese isn't inherently "evil" at all............I personally haven't characterized anybody as "evil" other than the gang from 23.5......in this thread that is........ other characters I'd be willing to debate. 

I'll try, I make no promises, try to explain my reasoning. Again, no promises, but I think to understand what I mean,  one has to have a certain amount of life experience to, if not accept, at least understand some of these harsh realities. 

The main point here is that Esdese "serves".........in other words she is in "service" to her country as,  in what is for all intents and purposes,  a wager of war. Every.........single..........thing.........that's she's done, from the torture chambers to the field, from ordering her troops to commit what could easily be considered atrocities to committing them herself..............can all be justified in that context. Is it pretty? No, obviously not...........war isn't pretty. She serves her country and king and those are decisions she's entrusted to make in order to serve the greater good. Justified actions, no matter how brutal they may seem to the outside view, within the context of the story and from the viewpoint of those in power.

Those guys from 23.5? The family from chapter 1? Who did they serve? What purpose did their acts achieve? None. Random brutality for the sole purpose of just that.........just fuckin' people up cuz they could and they got off on it. Now that's evil.  There's no possible way for anybody to find any reasonable justification in/for their acts. And there's what makes the difference. 

And Seryuu was just insane.............sorry, no way to condone her, no matter how she ended up that way, no matter that she talked normal every now and then..........her actions and thoughts as the author gave them to us showed her to be utterly irredeemable. A mad dog and no more than that. Again, not "evil",  just insane and essentially, ultimately,  a danger to everyone.

This... doesn't even apply to Esdese.

She does not serve the Emperor because she believes he's right, or he'll turn the empire into a better place, or even from some belief that the order of the Empire has to be maintained even at the cost of its citizens. She joined the Imperial Army, in her own words, "since prey was getting scarce. It was just a matter of changing the target of hunting from danger beasts to humans." She joined for no other goal than to cause mayhem and bloodshed.

Or, in your words, "Random brutality for the sole purpose of just that.........just fuckin' people up cuz they could and they got off on it."

Further proof? What she did to the Ban tribe. Instead of wiping them out, she purposefully left members of the tribe alive, made them watch as she (the Empire) ravaged their land, and then let them loose, hoping that they'd come back and cause another rebellion. That... gains the Empire no material resources, no land, no slaves, nothing really understandable. You could argue it cements the minister's power by providing a constant war, a constant external enemy to justify his own rule. But hell if that's not a far cry from supporting one's country.

And ironically, everything you say here actually applies to Seryuu.

She is serving her country, hell, she thinks she's even serving the innocent civilians of the empire by eradicating evil. She may be a mad dog who sees evil without shades of gray, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you consider her irredeemable when she fits your criteria far, far better than Esdese. 

I get why, from a reader's perspective, Esdese is more well-liked than Seryuu. She's cooler, a more interesting character, and a little less prone to the overt crazy. Just like I find Nena Trinity intolerable while liking Ali Al-Saachez, even though his atrocity count makes hers look like a preschool tantrum.

But that doesn't translate, I think, into considering Esdese a better character morally.

Frankly, I don't think it's nearly as hard to get as you're making it out here.

Yeah, the justification for an act can play into how you weigh it. But not only does the act count as well (murdering somebody innocent with good intentions is worse than stealing for bad intentions), the justification itself should be put under some manner of scrutiny. A massacre done out of loyalty to a despotic government isn't suddenly better to me because it has a justification, because the justification itself is morally unacceptable.

Edited by Fujita, 27 August 2013 - 08:47 PM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Spoiler

oh well, we don't agree at all do we? :)

Edited by svines85, 27 August 2013 - 09:03 PM.

Tn7HA0h.png

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

http://vatoto.com/read/_/189923/akame-ga-kill_v9_ch39_by_animum-mutare/38

"It's also possible she didn't finish me off as to enjoy more wars to come" 

And considering we know esdese has explicitly spared select enemies to keep the flame of war alive, so she can kill more people,  in other circumstances, this is highly likely too.

And as I have said before. Esdese isn't doing what she is doing out of loyalty but of preservation of her position that allows her killing, torture, companionship, accolades, prestige, power of position, you name it. Esdese has it good, and she knows it. If she lost these things for good, her "loyalty" would evaporate too. She doesn't massacre people out of loyalty to a despotic government, she massacres and tortures people for fun, and sticks with the government that allows her to do so.

Edited by truepurple, 28 August 2013 - 01:14 PM.

TheHabeo

TheHabeo

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts

No, Esdese is past the point of redemption. There is no turning back for her, by logic. However this is shounen manga, where nakama power and shit happens all the time. So it's hard to predict but I will say this, there will definitely be an encounter and showdown between Esdese and Tatsumi in the next or couple next chapters and that's when shit'll happen.

About Esdese morality, it's like human, viewing bugs as pests and try to get them out of the way, or sometimes even crueler, torture it. The normal sense of being a powerful creature over another. So she's pretty much a human, with a unique perspective. And that would prove to be the ONLY possible way out for her, if not a death flag.

Bloody Sorcerer

Bloody Sorcerer

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 38 posts

You all seem to Like protecting Seiryuu and saying Esdese is evil, but in all the info the autor gave about Esdese you forgot one simple truth.

Esdese is empty, neutral, she already said it before, she wants to use her strength and will follow any rule if it allows her to do it, she's anything but evil. All the killing and torturing is so she keeps on being called to the heavy work, she takes no pleasure in torturing, though she also has no other oppinion about it. The reason she commited so many war crimes is cause that's the way the world around her goes.

Tatsumi asked her once about her opinions on the current government and she said something like this, the strong has the right to rule and as such they can determine what is right. Her fixation on such an ideal is completely related to the tragedis surrounding her village's demise and her father's last words.

Should the balace change towards main characters side and they become the "Strong ones" i don't doubt she'd easily side with them, for that's what will keep her fighting, to Fight is her hobby and only passion.

Now Seiryuu was created under the claims that evil should be punished  (which is a good thing), however the ones who taught her what's justice are the evil ones. She was raised to be a pet dog of the corrupt government viewing their enemies as evil, she learned to take pride in killing evil ones. A psychopath by all means, Justice girl is a created villain she is a victim of circunstances but also a unredeemable villain. If only she had been raised by normal parents...

Edited by Bloody Sorcerer, 13 October 2013 - 03:43 AM.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

(Esedese) she takes no peasure pleasure in torturing

Saying this takes all wind out of your sails, if you believe this, then you haven't paid any attention at all. I don't need to bother refuting anything else you said with a statement like this. If I wanted to spend the time rereading the comic from the beginning, I could come up with many pages that directly contradict this claim, including the page where she stops and gives advice to professional tortures, torturing massive amounts of people at a time, on how better to torture said people to death using heat, cold, and water. I believe she even offers to torture her allie/s at one point (of course they decline)  But I am not going to spend that kind of time to refute such a bogus statement. Instead how about you prove your statement that Esedese isn't sadistic, if you can.

Someone said earlier the decision to bury hundreds of thousands of (non-soldier) people alive, came from the capital, not from Esdesese; that she was only following orders. (not that such would make her "neutral" in karmic alignment if it were the case) Can someone show me proof of this? 

Edited by truepurple, 04 October 2013 - 10:09 AM.