Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

[SPOILERS] Current Chapter Discussion

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

It seems like there's a lot of conversation going on about this title in the main comment section.....since that's normally the area for brief comments and spoilers and in depth conversation are preferred by Batoto to be in the forums section, let's start a chapter discussion thread. 

Hopefully everyone will take the opportunity to come here to discuss this great title. 

Personally I'm really enjoying this story, it really has a great mix of fairly intense,  serious topics, humor, and just growing pains/slice of life content. To be honest I keep having to remind myself that our main characters are all really very young kids, they're only in middle school after all, mainly since a number of the themes seems so serious for kids that age to be going through.

Looks like Tsubaki would like to turn Kosei, Kaori and herself into a love triangle in her little view of the situation........only problem seems to be that neither of those two seem even remotely interested in romance right now. At least not with each other, that's for sure :D 

Tn7HA0h.png

tomatosrule

tomatosrule

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

I knew this wasn't going to be a fun ride, but it seems like the suffering is starting a little earlier than expected.

Fainting and "even if I die"? That was the mother of all deathflags.

Poor Kaori.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I knew this wasn't going to be a fun ride, but it seems like the suffering is starting a little earlier than expected.

Fainting and "even if I die"? That was the mother of all deathflags.

Poor Kaori.

ahhhh, yeah, you could be right, I don't know if the author will go that way or not ("all the way" I mean) but yeah, that sort of potential story direction for her character  has definitely had some ground-work laid. Of course the foundations for a "tragedy" type theme had already been laid with the background of our "main" main character's trauma after the death of his mother too. 

So yeah, certainly some dark themes underlying the story, guess we'll have to wait and see where things go from here. 

Tn7HA0h.png

tomatosrule

tomatosrule

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

Yeah, now that you mention it, maybe it will be a "history repeats itself" kind of story. He lost his ability to play piano when his mother died, and when he regains it thanks to Kaori, she will die. I don't know just who would pick up the pieces after that. Maybe his childhood friend, maybe his rival.

Anyway, now we'll wait and see. I'm really glad I found this!

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Yup, I agree with you, it's a great little title.......lots of different story elements that help it work on a number of different levels. Really looking forward to more of it. :)

Tn7HA0h.png

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

EGS released a new chapter today.... http://read.egscans.com/Shigatsu_wa_Kimi_no_Uso/Chapter_012

a shame this one hasn't gotten more attention, it really is a very, very good work

Tn7HA0h.png

Ame

Ame

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

Since anime was announced few months back I was expecting for new chapters to be translated.... it didn't happen :(

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Since anime was announced few months back I was expecting for new chapters to be translated.... it didn't happen :(

I didn't know this one had gotten an anime, thanks for the heads-up. I hope I remember when it finally comes out, this'll be one I'll watch over the manga......I don't know what to say, it's a shame not to have gotten any more chapter releases than it has   >_<

Tn7HA0h.png

Salakira

Salakira

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Yeah, now that you mention it, maybe it will be a "history repeats itself" kind of story. He lost his ability to play piano when his mother died, and when he regains it thanks to Kaori, she will die. I don't know just who would pick up the pieces after that. Maybe his childhood friend, maybe his rival.

Anyway, now we'll wait and see. I'm really glad I found this!

I Honestly Hope By then He'll have the strength to save himself. I mean, I hope after a period of depression (short) with only a little encouragement he decides he needs to stand up on his own this time. For her.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Ahh, so he was physically abused by her as well, I'd never been sure about that point. Sure the mental thing, but not for sure on her actually having been beating him along with it. 

Geez, and along with the whole "last thing he said was to curse her to die" thing it's no wonder he's so traumatized   >_<

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • LocationManetheren, but more realistically Southern California

The "cursing someone to die who then obliges" is something of a cliche, but definitely an understandable one.   In this manga, Kosei isn't cursing his parent for not showing up at his sports festival or  not bringing home a cake for him, he's a terrified child who is cursing her for beating him black and blue when he's trying his absolute best for her.  It's a wonder he didn't push her wheelchair down a flight of stairs.  "The formerly loving parent who becomes a demon to his/her child in order to make the child succeed" is also a cliche, although it happens quite often in the artistic, athletic, and business world in real life.  Very nearly the same thing happened with the koto artist's mother in Kono Oto Tomare, and often seems more likely to happen with a single parent.  It seems to be a "this is my last chance" syndrome that hits a parent who is not talented (in the case in Kono Oto Tomare) or can no longer use their talent (Kosei's late mother).  Whatever the case, it's a monomania, and is almost always destructive.  When a youth is brought up in a succeed or die atmosphere, failure to live up to the parent's expectations (and not every good student can make it into Toudai or talented musician become the new Artur Rubinstein) the result is often dropping the talent, becoming a freeter or hikimori, being addicted to drugs or booze, or committing suicide.  The chain of events that happened to Kosei leads to a tangled and tortuous love/hate relationship that would need a team of psychiatrists to unravel.  It's tragic, because there are a lot of parents and children like the two in the movie The Dead Poets Society.  

Edited by Comadrin, 26 December 2014 - 05:03 AM.

Katsu

Katsu

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 18 posts
  • LocationHome ヽ(○´∀`)ノ

Concerning the recent chapters released with Kaori in the hospital and at the end of chapter 30, am I the only one thinking some tragedy might happen?...

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Concerning the recent chapters released with Kaori in the hospital and at the end of chapter 30, am I the only one thinking some tragedy might happen?...

Yeah,  I think the author's been leaving hints from very early on that Kaori's role (specifically her health) in Kosei's life would be to parallel his mother's fate but at a time when he's more mature.

It's now looking like it's heading towards just that, and we'll get to see if it either crushes him (like his mother's death did) or if now whatever happens to Kaori becomes some kind of "tragic" inspiration to him like Hiroko was alluding to in one of the earlier chapters.    

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts

Yeah.  The trouble is that I became very fond of Kaori in the course of reading this manga.  I agree with the mc in Adachi Sensei's Cross Game, "Damnit!  It just isn't right for children to die before their parents."

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts

Just read chapter 32...  Shit's getting real.  Although this is the kind of reaction that can easily happen with a highly strung dying teenager and an introspective, depressed teenager, I am hoping that it doesn't play out as a Gotterdamerung for them.  I don't think it will, as that would be somewhat over the top, and take away from the pathos the mangaka has been building up.  It would also make everyone else in the plot (except Kosei's late abusive mother) superfluous.  It would also be a cheap return for the progress that Kaori has helped him achieve.  I want to think that the basis or theme of the manga is redemption (for Kosei and his music), rather than Ragnarok, where the fate of the gods is to lose and be destroyed by evil (and they know it from the beginning).  

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts

Well, it looks as though Kaori's plan is working beyond her wildest dreams.  Not only is Kosei returning like gangbusters as a pianist, he's becoming a teacher as well.  His "push-pull" method has realized some spectacular results with Nagi.  I noticed a neat parallel with Nodame Cantabile (my absolute favorite music manga) when Kosei started playing completely differently from what they did in practice, making her keep up with him and take over the lead again.  It was just like Nodame's first concerto, when she ran for the border with the music (unlike the rehearsals) forcing the conductor to follow (and nearly giving him a heart attack).  I think the answer to all the haters on the front page is Kaori listening to the performance over her phone and dancing around playing an imaginary violin (something I've seen "real" musicians do, and not to be confused with "air guitar").  If some posters hate and cannot understand Kaori, Kosei understands her very well and certainly doesn't hate her.

Note:  Aside from his music, Kosei has matured in multiple ways since the beginning of this manga.  Instead of being drawn inwards, he's now reaching out to others and developing a great deal of empathy.  Really great manga.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Yeah, it is a great manga. Great characters up and down the lineup, a great premise and, thus far, great story progression that's steadily kept all the elements of the story active and fairly well balanced.

And yeah, Kosei's amazing. This is one of the rare..... raaaare...... shounen titles that actually achieves (to me at least) portraying the MC as much more "normal" than the "special" they really want to portray him/her as (and then cram it down the readers' throats each and every chapter). I at least find it very easy to forget that Kosei's been considered a genius since he was very young given as much (effective) portrayal as just a normal 14-15 year-old kid that the author gives us.

Yup, really well done, each and every chapter. I happened to notice earlier that it looked like scanlations had now started getting pretty close to currently published chapters........seems like vol 9 that we're in w/10 volumes currently published. So yeah, I guess we'll wait and see how things go on the scanlations front from here on.

I'm liking the anime quite a bit too, it's honestly the only current anime I'm watching, nothing else current appeals to me at all for that matter.  >_<  

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts

Just finished chapter 38, and I'm really glad to see that the redemption theme has won out over the gotterdamerung theme.  

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Just finished chapter 38, and I'm really glad to see that the redemption theme has won out over the gotterdamerung theme.  

It seems like, yeah. There really isn't much time left, I believe only six chapters..........I think........ chapter 44 is the finale I believe.

Tn7HA0h.png

Katsu

Katsu

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 18 posts
  • LocationHome ヽ(○´∀`)ノ

It seems like, yeah. There really isn't much time left, I believe only six chapters..........I think........ chapter 44 is the finale I believe.

I think the lastest chapter just confirmed the rest of the story...I don't think I'll be able to handle it if it goes the way I think it will go :/ But, yes. Chapter 44 is the finale.