Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Bad translation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

A number of times now a line or more has confused me. Some of which I chalk up to something I can't understand yet because I need to read further or just my own failing.

But I really think now its just that this comic needs better translation, maybe some proof reading.

http://img.batoto.net/comics/2013/05/20/o/read519ab7e4958b2/img000007.png

"Information about that is being leaked, that is how hard this job is" 

Huh? Leaking of information of some unspecified thing indicates how hard the job is? And is "master" saying the job is hard, or easy?  By context, I would think he was saying it was easy, for more reason to hit the boy and get him to go back. But I don't know how I could come to that conclusion from anything within the text.

Edited by truepurple, 27 May 2013 - 08:29 PM.

Konukon

Konukon

Potato Sprout

• Silent Sky
  • 7 posts

I'm glad you pointed that out ^^;

Over Steam has a lot of sentences/sentence structures and words in Korean that don't make too much sense when it's put into English words.

Also, I'm not the very best at english (especially when I translate. I go into Konglish mode) -_______-;;

I'll try to make sure to translate in a way that makes more sense from now on (=w=)/

Edited by Konukon, 28 May 2013 - 08:41 PM.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Well might you please tell me what that segment is saying?

Here is a semi-problematic translation

http://vatoto.com/read/_/173141/over-steam_ch3_by_silent-sky

"she was in horror as she burned"

Horror is a feeling of shock, revolution, fear, or dread as you think of something horrific. The boy would be in horror as she burned, she would be in agony. I mean I suppose there would be some horror at realizing you are going to burn alive, but the pain would push most any other thought out of your head(including that of horror), and then as the pain overwhelmed her mind and she became unable to feel anything, her thoughts would probably be of leaving her son, the horror of observing that would be much greater then any from experiencing that. Or in other words "I was in horror as she burned" or better yet "I watched in horror as she burned"

There was some other issues, especially in the first chapter/prechapter. Do you want me to reread em and point em out? And if I do, would you please explain any parts I don't understand? Would you update with the corrections?

Edited by truepurple, 30 May 2013 - 04:24 AM.

Konukon

Konukon

Potato Sprout

• Silent Sky
  • 7 posts

The translations are pretty much literally what the original raws say.

For example the 'horror as she burned' part literally says, 'she was in horror as she burned' in the korean version. The boy is saying that his mother was very scared(?) horrified(?) as she found that she was burning...or something like that ^^;

Once again, I'm not very good with English, so I find it hard to try and translate it in a way that you'd understand :(

The story has many complicated sentences that don't make too much sense. I think that in order to find out what all these are pointing to is to read the webtoon as the story advances. ^^

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Yeah but might you please answer some of those questions I asked in my last post?

Konukon

Konukon

Potato Sprout

• Silent Sky
  • 7 posts

If you want me to answer them, you can bring the questions to chat so that it's easier for us to talk. ^^

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

What chat? And I don't see what is so difficult about answering some or all of the questions I asked on the message board, please reconsider.

TheEarthling

TheEarthling

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

And the point of this thread is.......what exactly? If there are translations you don't understand, you should go and ask the translator directly, not make a post to criticize their hard work and effort publicly. When I read Over Steam, I was able to understand their translations fine. It's really not hard, even if you encounter a sentence that confuses you, do it the smart way. USE CONTEXT CLUES.  Any 5th grade English teacher would have told you that. Translators work especially hard to provide translations from Asian languages to English, which if you didn't know already, is extremely difficult. If you really feel you have to ask about translations then do it. But you really pissed me off by not even saying thank you to Konukon for their translations. Really, try to keep that in mind next time. 

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

I don't see you thanking any translators, or providing any means to contact the translator directly. 

I am offering to provide means to improve a product (along with asking for my own benefit), where is my thanks? Instead you just have personal criticism, how ungrateful of you, theearthling.

Xane

Xane

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

theearthling is saying that the way you're asking to have your little questions answered is not very "nice". Listen, these people have lives and sometimes they can't give you scans that are completely perfect. Not only that, for the translators, there are language barriers to worry about too. That doesn't mean that you should go around hunting the people down and trying to criticize them about everything. 

http://www.silentsky-scans.net/ 

Here's their site, with the chat room at the right of it.

I've given you a method of contacting them so you better go thank ALL the staff, because they work really hard just to even get these releases in for everyone. 

Also, if you're so hell bent on trying to get every part of the scan absolutely perfect, then you try working your butt off in a group. Then you can see if you want to keep complaining then. Then again, that really depends on whether you can pass the test in the first place. :)

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Well I was offering my help, but I first expected one might ask for it first or otherwise indicate it would be appreciated. If you think I am helping only for myself, then forget that nonsense. Also I can definitely help correct major english errors, but I don't wish to be committed to anything.  Nor should I have to pass some high standard. If I spent my time and energy privately (so as to spare any fragile peoples feelings/embarrassment) pointing out major and definite errors for you guys, which would improve the product, that should be enough. I mean its a different matter if they already have someone competent doing the job of proof reading, but clearly they don't have people to pick from, or  picked badly.

Do they do it for the thanks? Do you want people to regularly flood that chat with thanks? Or is it that its just anyone offering to help that you specifically want thanks from? 

theearthling is saying that the way you're asking to have your little questions answered is not very "nice"

Bullshit. I said please. Nothing rude or "not very nice" about what I said. My posts were fine, If you disagree and have criticism of my post, then be specific or be disregarded.

In fact. it's those of you getting on my case and putting me down, for no reason at all, that are out of line.

Xane, are you a member of that staff? If not, please stop speaking for them.

Edited by truepurple, 04 June 2013 - 05:37 PM.

naninyanko

naninyanko

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
Okay let's get this straight.

1. If your intention is to improve a "product", I do believe the proper communication channel would be to go directly to the customer service of the "production company" or the "manufacturer". 
In this scenario, if you want to help improve our scanlation work (greatly appreciate it!), please go directly to the staffs at the site, or email us from our contact at the site. Creating a post about our work does not address the issue in a proper channel, and also creating quite a bit of haywires here and there (look at how much fire has sparked!). 
Your decision in making this thread is like when you go to the supermarket, buy a can of coke, then go to yahoo to complain about it. Would the manufacturer see your comment? Properly. Would it be addressed correctly for future lesson-learned? I doubt. 

2. If you can't decipher something, it doesn't mean it's bad. I remember when I was little, I complained that all of the movies that won Oscar were crap. 15 years later, they're absolutely awesome to me. The fact that you think it's bad, sorry, doesn't mean it is really bad. When you say something is "bad" it is very opinionated and it does affect other people who put so much work into them. 

If your intention is to help, not only do we appreciate the proper communication channel, we would also appreciate something that starts out as a nice question like "how do I understand this translation?" rather than "Bad Translation". Not only did it destroy everything that they've worked so hard for, it also brandished Oversteam, Konukon and the whole group as some group that does bad translation, bad PR and bad QC. Of course people would take offended from such accusation and degradation. You may not think so, I'm simply stating what has happened to the people who are affected by your thread. Sometimes it's hard to see from another person's point of view, I understand. 

3. There are problems themselves, and there are problems because of how they've been portrayed. The method of delivery is important nowadays. You can say "you look ugly in that shirt" or you can also say "that shirt doesn't compliment you". Same thing, but I bet you there'll be different outcomes. All I'm saying is, maybe you should really consider the fact that people jump up and down with your way of talking. 

4. We do appreciate constructive criticism. Note, constructive. 

5. I have gone over the 2 main points of the story you said, and I don't see a problem with her translation.
If you don't understand the story, of course it can be a translation thing. Things get lost in translation. However, again, it doesn't mean the translation job or the PR job were done sloppily. Read it, re-read it, think hard about it, re-read it again. Maybe you'll find something. If you still cannot find it, I will be more than willing to sit down and have a debate about the story with you. Note, the story. I will not go over them in here while this thread is still tagged as "bad translation".

Cheers.

Edited by naninyanko, 05 June 2013 - 06:20 AM.

CrazyRed98

CrazyRed98

What Legends Are Made Of

• The Company
  • 514 posts
  • LocationBed

Topic will be locked.

~~~CrazyRed98~~~
"I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul." - William Ernest Henley
Posted Image