Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Kelp's Comments

flag gaworare kelp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

KelpTheGreat

KelpTheGreat

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts

Hey guys, Kelp here, your friendly neighborhood proofer for Flag. Glad you're all enjoying it! We spend many long hours on this, so reading all the comments is something I look forward to. ^_^ I often leave comments in the comments section, but I've found lately that I want to say a lot, so I figured I'd start my own thread. I bet Purr-Nyan (TL for Flag) might pop in and comment occasionally too. He and I work pretty closely on the dialogue for the series.

A few random comments about ch11:

Sorry about the few mistakes that inevitably sneak in... noticed a couple this ch. One of them was made during the TS/QC process and another I missed in my proof. =/ Unlike Pokemon, you can't catch 'em all. Mistakes that is.

During proofing I was considering naming Ranker 0 "Ranker Zero", so as to not get confused with the letter O. I left it as the number 0, but it does look a bit confusing, so next ch he'll be Ranker Zero. If he shows up again that is. Or... I might get the TS to change the font so it's a zero with a line through it. Maybe.

Okay, so ch11 starts introducing some more of the mega-mysteries beneath the surface of the harem comedy exteriors of this manga. I wouldn't be too quick to call the organization "evil" as of yet. We don't know enough about them.

The girl from the organization is definitely the clergy. Now about that title, "clergy." I could have used Priest, or Bishop, or Abbott, or Nun (maybe not Nun), or some other title, but all of those have certain connotations behind the word that aren't quite accurate for the role the character seems to fill. The problem is that, strictly speaking, "clergy" isn't a job title. The correct term would be "clergyman" (clergywoman in this case). A clergyman is a member of the clergy. The clergy is the field of pastoring and stuff. So anyway it's not the most grammatically accurate word to use, but in absence of a better, less-connotative word, we've stuck with clergy.

So Ruri is the shinobi, Nanami is the Princess-Knight, Akane is the magician, and this new girl is the Clergy. What about the other members of the Quest Dormitory? What roles will they fulfill? I can't remember what the other ones were. I should go look it up. >_>

As you've probably noticed, Nanami is talking in an approximation (albeit a stereotypical one) of old English. Maybe a bit of a British accent as well. Her Japanese definitely has that European flavor to it. We've only started doing this in recent chapters. Refer to the first page of ch8 for a more detailed explanation, but basically she's speaking in older, formal Japanese, so we've started rendering that in older, formal English. Yes, in the raws she's been speaking that way since ch1, but we've only decided to be more authentic recently. Also do notice that the old hag ends her sentences with -be, and Akane ends hers with -desu. Rin calls Souta "Sota" as well. These aren't pronounced any differently, and are not typos, but the differing spelling is meant to represent that it's spelled differently in the Japanese as well.

Edited by KelpTheGreat, 09 May 2013 - 07:01 AM.

yariel

yariel

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

hmm, you should create this thread when you just release Kanojo ga Flag ...

this getting too quiet after a day or two ...

BTW, I prefer the authentic old way from character speaking ...

it give more "personality" to them (like in Omamori Himari) ...

Purr-Nyan

Purr-Nyan

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAt the edge of your dreams

I bet Purr-Nyan (TL for Flag) might pop in and comment occasionally too.

The girl from the organization is definitely the clergy.

Dude, get your facts right before you post. XD No need to bet on me posting here if you start spreading wrong information. :P

KelpTheGreat

KelpTheGreat

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts

What, you don't think she's the clergy? I just assumed she was... I guess it's not a guarantee. :batoto_014:

Great news! We've figured out a much better and more appropriate name for the Clergy (whoever it may be): Cleric! Such an obvious word to use and none of us saw it. XD The change will take place immediately.