Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Eren's importance [SPOILERS]

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

X0ll0X

X0ll0X

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 61 posts

My reason for making this thread is basically to ask for some ideas, because I really can't think of decent tactically sound motivations for the human titans too go after Eren. I know he's probably of their kind but one wouldn't simply risk getting others (and in many ways superior specimens) killed and/or captured. Apparently it is even more important to get Eren than the sole goal of the titans (non attack treaty of Reiner), gathering Intel on the enemy; Annie in titan form even appeared to be crying because she failed to capture Eren. On top of that they have practically lost Annie, who would probably be able to get in the top ranks of the military and thus very close to the ruling apparatus of the last remaining humans. So even ignoring her battle prowess that blow has to hurt.

And all this trouble for someone who has shown a considerable amount of hatred toward the titans, is barely able to control his titan form (which, as of yet, has no special abilities) after which he falls into a comatose state. All of this is happening while completely ignoring Ymir, who might or might not be the same species (I personally think she's an evolved titan).

I really don't get it. Eren has too have some very potent applied phlebotinum to justify those sacrifices.

It might be too early to really discuss this topic, considering the amount of reveals were getting in the recent chapters. But I'd like to hear your pet theories and ideas that might provide a sufficiently satisfying explanation.

P.s. this would be my first topic I made so please, if I did something wrong show me some leniency and tell me what I should change

WarpSprite

WarpSprite

Potato

• Members
  • 139 posts

The only reason I can guess is that they must have Eren in order to use whatever "power" (as Eren's dad calls it)that is in Eren's basement. My own personal theory is that the human titans come from a village outside the walls and that they are at war with the hairy titans. Since the hairy titans seem to be able to turn other people into titans and control them all of the humans inside the walls are a potential army waiting to be made. However their is some kinda power/weapon in Eren's basement that could instantly win the war or something of that nature.

Edited by WarpSprite, 03 May 2013 - 12:26 PM.

Knight K

Knight K

Potato

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationCHILE, santiago

yep, think something like that, is not "eren" what they want, but the information that he can give them, maybe the dad of eren was from the same village of them and took something important or maybe that hairy v/S more special titans war, but the information for now is too little.. but somethings is bugging me, before ryner and berthold were attacked by mikasa (almost lost her head berthold, the biggest titan ever seen lol), i don't think he was reffering to confront eren when he said: "we'll settle this here and now" but even before that he was feeling guilt because he realized when he stayed with the fools (humans) how fragile they were and the sadness and pityness they felt when the titans attack, and another point when he said "we were just brats who knew nothing back then ... blablabla" is something very intrguing the reason why they (and annie) infiltrated the humans.

DEMOLITION TITAN

DEMOLITION TITAN

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

i think eren also has the ability to grow hairs all over his body same as the yeti type titan lol :batoto_010: :batoto_021:

POckyMonster

POckyMonster

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

I agree with Knight K.  I feel like Berthold and Ryner have a very distinct reason for attacking the human race that they must have found out at their "home".  I actually feel like Eren belongs with them and that if he just went with them he would figure out a lot about his purpose.  If you think about it all of them (berthold, ryner, annie, ymir)  have had similar experiences to Eren's of losing a loved one to the Titans but yet they still decide to take their side.  I feel like Eren's father is probably on the Titan side as well.  In fact I think he is the one who turned all of them into Titans and is probably the one got them to fight against the humans.  This could be the reason they're chasing after Eren.  So that they could show him the truth and bring him to the side he always thought was evil and turned out to be the better side.

I also feel that the hairy Titan wasn't on the same side as the human Titans because he had no knowledge of 3D maneuver gear which had they been on the same side he would have been warned about.  Plus the fact the regular Titan eat human Titans and didn't eat him.  In fact they formed some kind of army with him.

In conclusion, I don't want Eren to cut ties with his friends but I feel all the fighting he is doing now is driven by ignorance and anger and he'd have more of a purpose if he went with those like him and actually figured out what he was cause they know a lot more than he does.

tyrthyllanos

tyrthyllanos

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

My theories on this topic, (and the series in general) bulletpointed:

1. All the human-titans except the "ape-titan",  also with the possible exception of Ymir, are from the same place.

2. The humans inside the walls are not protected so much as imprisoned, the losers of a centuries gone war.

3. The human-titans were also on the same side of that war as the wall-bounded human race. The titan transformation was the prime weapon of both sides in the long-ago war, and after their clear loss, with little hope, someone in a position of power decided, or perhaps made concessions, leading to eradication of knowledge and the destruction / expatriation of all titan-changers. 

4. Unintelligent, people-eating titans are a weapon that only the "other side" used - this is how they won. They turned the other sides' civilians into giant people-eating zombies. Sheer numbers overpowered the intelligent titans.

5. The "ape-titan" is the only 'person' we've seen clearly from the "other" faction. This is demonstrated by his total lack of expectations about what the people within the walls were like. He'd never seen the aerial maneuver gear and wasn't entirely sure if the one guy he talked to understood him (because he wasn't sure what language he spoke). Ymir may be from his culture, due to being able to read something that Ryner couldn't. 

6. He's also almost certainly the perpetrator of turning people inside the second wall into titans without breaching it.

7. The human-titans are the remnants of the titan-form army of the losing side. They have little respect for the wall-bound folk or their lives, since they were abandoned, and the people in charge inside the wall made giving up on escape and burying their collective heads in the sand their only plan. They may also want to take the walls away from them because they feel that in the end this will result in allies. People with a defensive wall can cower; people without have to fight or die.

8. There may be a 4th wall which restricts the movement of the unintelligent titans, beyond which the rest of the world belongs to the winning side of the big war. I'm not sure of this one because that wall would have to be immense, and that leads to the next point...

9. It's pretty clear, but obviously the wall is full of titans because titans BECAME the wall. My guess was that these were the currently wall-bound humans ALLIED titans. This was possibly not a choice they were given but a sentence imposed, judging by the fact that the Wall-cult priest didn't want to let the uncovered titan be touched by sunlight. 

10. Leading finally to Eren: I think he's important because the titan-people outside the wall have lost the secret of MAKING titans. It's most likely passed down genetically, but perhaps becoming rarer or weakening as small numbers of titan-transformers breed into a larger population of normal people. Or maybe they're just dying off. Either way, I think Eren's dad unearthed the secret of turning people into intelligent titans all over again. 

paraquat

paraquat

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationCashin a keg of Natty Ice with Fratmaster Urek "The Man"zino

Here are my thoughts on Eren's significance:

So basically, Bert and Ryner are going to explain Eren's origin to him and hope he joins the quincies...whoops...titans? It will probably have something to do with finding his father, who knows something about the titanization process. In fact, every attack on the walls will probably be shown to have been an effort to find Eren's father, and, later, Eren as well, since his process of going titanriffic is probably the "key" to something, and because he's a shonen protagonist. Maybe Bert and Ryner need this knowledge for other human-titans, or to learn how to revert to humans, or to provide other titans with human intellect.

I also think Ymir has a pretty big role in the story that hasn't been explained yet. There's that one chapter where the scout is approached by a talking titan who says he is "Ymir's people," she is shown to be reading some kind of ancient (Titan?) language on the can of herring, and I don't think her name was chosen by accident...in Norse mythology, Ymir is the primordial giant whose body forms the world, and also gives birth to a race of giants (and, in one versian, humans as well). Bert and Ryner had a reason for taking her along with Eren, even though she seems to be a different type of titan-human than Eren and did not have information on Eren's father or transformation process, and it might be to reveal to her who she really is, and see if she'll side with them as well.

I don't think the titans will really turn out to be the "good" guys, since they have already done too many irredeemable things, but it will be interesting to see what Bert and Ryner have to say; the whole titan situation will certainly turn out to be more complex than Eren (or the readers) initially thought. The concept of two warring groups of titans is certainly plausible.

"Koichi really steals! No dignity!" - Jusuke Josder

Jakob

Jakob

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationBrasil

Tyrthyllanos: Man, your theories are VERY, VERY good. Sounds, very plausible and coerent, but I will point some things to talk about.

3. The human-titans were also on the same side of that war as the wall-bounded human race. The titan transformation was the prime weapon of both sides in the long-ago war, and after their clear loss, with little hope, someone in a position of power decided, or perhaps made concessions, leading to eradication of knowledge and the destruction / expatriation of all titan-changers. 

Probably, at some point of this war, the people on charge of the losing side decided to create the walls, that are made of titans-changers. So, the the reward for the titan-changer soldiers would be a kind of "forced stasis" to protect the normal humans. Or perhaps, to give time to repopulate.

5. The "ape-titan" is the only 'person' we've seen clearly from the "other" faction. This is demonstrated by his total lack of expectations about what the people within the walls were like. He'd never seen the aerial maneuver gear and wasn't entirely sure if the one guy he talked to understood him (because he wasn't sure what language he spoke). Ymir may be from his culture, due to being able to read something that Ryner couldn't. 

Well, there is another, very important thing too. The Ape-titan were able to CONTROL the unintelligent titans to not devour the soldier that he talked and took the 3D gear. The inteligent ones had to fight with the normall titans. Not only that, the titan-changers roar attracts the normal titans.

Well, Ymir titan form is a bit different from the others, looks more feral in a way. So, points that she really is descendent of the other side.

8. There may be a 4th wall which restricts the movement of the unintelligent titans, beyond which the rest of the world belongs to the winning side of the big war. I'm not sure of this one because that wall would have to be immense, and that leads to the next point...

Perhaps the "other side" can control the titans like the ape-titan did, without the need for another wall.

tyrthyllanos

tyrthyllanos

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

Tyrthyllanos: Man, your theories are VERY, VERY good. Sounds, very plausible and coerent, but I will point some things to talk about.

Probably, at some point of this war, the people on charge of the losing side decided to create the walls, that are made of titans-changers. So, the the reward for the titan-changer soldiers would be a kind of "forced stasis" to protect the normal humans. Or perhaps, to give time to repopulate.

Well, there is another, very important thing too. The Ape-titan were able to CONTROL the unintelligent titans to not devour the soldier that he talked and took the 3D gear. The inteligent ones had to fight with the normall titans. Not only that, the titan-changers roar attracts the normal titans.

Well, Ymir titan form is a bit different from the others, looks more feral in a way. So, points that she really is descendent of the other side.

Perhaps the "other side" can control the titans like the ape-titan did, without the need for another wall.

First, thanks for enjoying my post! I'm not sure how formatting works on these boards yet, so bear with me. I didn't connect that bit about the ape-titan controlling the unintelligent titans. Good point about that and the unlikely possibility of a fourth wall.

That also brings up another interesting thing about Ymir - the speaking titan Ilse Langner (the scouting legion member who left the journal) met, said something incoherent about "Ymir's people". If Ymir is indeed one of the "other side" originally, she may have been working with some "regular" titan subordinates originally. I have a lot of fun theories about Ymir. They're all just guesses at this point - I think Ymir is the most mysterious character in the manga so far. One of my thoughts is that she may have ordered a number of titans not to attack anyone. That would explain why that particular titan was so conflicted, if such an order is contrary to its' base nature. Although, if you look back at those chapters, in retrospect... That girl, Ilse, bears a distinct resemblance to Ymir. So maybe it just thought that was actually Ymir herself.

On the other hand, When Ymir actually engages titans in combat in her titan form at Utgarde, she's clearly unable to take command of them. Maybe they only take orders from their actual creators?

X0ll0X

X0ll0X

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 61 posts
So I've had some time to think a bit more on this matter, especially after reading some of your pet theories.

If one assumes that there are 2 sides (or 3 if you'd count the human area as a kind of neutral area, at least in the grander scheme of the 2 other factions), one is losing the battle because there they "lost" the art of titanfication and that Eren's father really hid something in the cellar regarding the process. One (at least I) can come up for some logical (to me) explainations regarding the somewhat erratic behaviours in the series.

1. The first and/or second attack of Bertholt and Reiner could've either been way to get into and search the basement of Eren's house unhindered (in this case the second attack would have had the goal of getting Eren's key), or a desperate attempt to find some dormant titan shifters in the masses. Considering strong feelings and injury is a pretty surefire method to trigger the transformation and both were around in abundance during both attacks (perhaps they simply need fresh blood for breeding purposes).

2. If the key was the main goal of the attack one can make an educated about the timing and scale of the whole thing. It would be the last, realsitic oppertunity to get it. Eren would have left with the scouting force pretty soon after graduation and thus having the risk of getting killed and eaten anywhere in a very large area making it very difficult to recover the key. This could also explain why the second attack was much less severe as the first one (e.g. Reiner didn't knock the second wall down) they wanted to limit the area where they would have to search for Eren's remains. It also had the added bonus to discover dormant titan shifters.

3. This one is a bit off topic (as will be the next one). The side of the hairy titan still has the method of titanfication (if it isn't gentics) and when it is used on non compatible humans it will create the grotesk, somewhat ill proportioned, mindless, regular titans we all know. Also they know a way of controlling the titans. This of course is heavily foreshadowed in this arc and it would explain the sudden attack.

4. Ymir is someone who's only half compatible. Seeing she exhibited typical titan behaviour in the flashback, coupled with the fact the she's the only human titan with body proportion that are off (especially the head size) and that Reiner and Bertholt initially didn't tried to "recruit" her, leads me to believe that she was originally transformed by the hairy titan's side. She probably showed some basic intelligence after being turned into a titan and was thus appointed as leader of a pack of titans (thanks tyrthyllanos for bringing up Ilse Langner), but at some point regained enough self conscience to control and undo the transformation. Perhaps during that time she lost the power to control other titans or the Titans of Utgarde were still under direct controll of the hairy titan.

I know most of what I've written is probably a synopse (-ish) of the other posts but it was something I needed myself to get my thoughts on order XD.

Anyways thank you all for you're contributions up untill now and keep on coming with new explanations/ expansions on the ideas presented in this topic :D

Rhoen

Rhoen

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

I agree on most of the stated above.

I think Ryner and co. destroyed the walls and tried to wipe out the humans because they were being controlled by the Ape titan's side hence their frightened reactions when they saw the Ape titan. Now they want Eren for the information on how to titanshift so that they can get more people who can turn into intelligent titans and form a rebellion.

@X0ll0x I think it's pretty obvious that Ryner and co. didn't really know about Eren at all being able to turn into a titan or had any info on titans until they saw him as titan, so I think you're statement #1 is pretty much impossible. And about statement #2 I think they were planning on smashing the 2nd gate(judging by the scene on the first panel of chapter 7 page 11) until Mikasa arrived and next saw Eren as a titan.

Edited by Rhoen, 14 May 2013 - 05:16 PM.

X0ll0X

X0ll0X

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 61 posts
Well I guess I wasn't entirely clear in my last post. In my defense it was late and I wrote the whole post in a tablett >.<

What I wanted ot convey was that, at least in the beginning and probably still, rather than Eren being the motivation of the actions of the human titans it's much more about his father and the contents of the cellar. From the prologue it isn't that far fetched to assume Eren's father was more or less well known. It neither would strange for the human titans to have eyes and ears in the city (they don't have to be shifters themselves), granted these assumptions are under the condition that there are really two factions and the faction (or "village") of Reiner and Bertholt isn't near wiped out already.

Knowledge of the key would have been gathered during military training. I can't see why Eren would have kept quiet about it or even kept it a secret to the other recruits.

@Rhoen if I haven't been looking at the wrong panel I think the reactions of despair were because of the siege of the titans at the fort/refill station (it was later elaborated upon that they wouldn't make it back to and over the wall with their current levels of gas). But again I'm on my tablett once more, so it isn't really possible for me to quickly look things up, nor rereading the whole chapter without risking losing my train of thought and possibly the whole post.

mbaruh

mbaruh

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts

First of all, I've read all the comments and I see you took a liking to the war theory, well I really hope it doesn't come true- It's just too plain simple: There was this war, and they used titans, and one side lost. For me, for the manga to go that way means the utter failure of the series.

I do, however, support the theory of the factions and that the humans living behind the walls are not the only ones (although I can't form an opinion about the 4th wall theory). However, I don't think that Reiner and Bertholdt were born inside the walls- the first attack they launched came from the outside, they weren't even soldiers back then so I don't see how they could have gotten out. That's probably when they, together with Annie and who knows how many more titan-shifters infiltrated. The confusion and inaccuracy of the paperwork that was mentioned was perfect for them.

As for they key, I don't think it was their goal. The first time they attacked they didn't know of Eren or the basement. If they wanted the key they could have just taken it in some other way, while he was sleeping for example or when Annie kidnapped him, she could take the key and leave Eren behind and then Mikasa wouldn't persue her. I mean, it's hanging right there on his neck! Besides, The basement contains information about what's going on, but from the looks of it the titan-shifters have a pretty good sense of it. No- the real target is Eren himself, and there are 3 possible reasons I can think of:

1. If you follow my idea from the previous paragraph then they are trying to understand how someone within the walls gained the ability to shift.

2. Eren's dad is by their side and wants his son to join him (this one sounds a bit off to me though).

3. Eren's dad is not with them, but it still has something to do with him.

You also talked about Ymir. That titan that said "Ymir's people" was talking to a scout, which means, for now, that intellegent titans from the outside see Ymir as someone who is on the side of the people behind the wall. You also talked about her ability to read that wierd language. No one said that it's a titan language. But another thing that should be on our mind besides what language is this and why can she read it, is what was the can doing there in the first place! Anyway, it's too early to predict any more about her.

Edit: Maybe the castle is from before the walls were formed and that can is prehistoric XP

Maybe the language is that was spoken a long time ago and is still used by those other factions.

In short, the mangaka is cooking something really good for us.

Edited by mbaruh, 14 May 2013 - 11:19 PM.

tyrthyllanos

tyrthyllanos

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

First of all, I've read all the comments and I see you took a liking to the war theory, well I really hope it doesn't come true- It's just too plain simple: There was this war, and they used titans, and one side lost. For me, for the manga to go that way means the utter failure of the series.

I'm not entirely sure why you'd feel that way. I won't say that you shouldn't. But when it comes to manga with a big secret and foreshadowing in it like Shingeki no Kyojin, what makes it an utter failure in my eyes is when the "big reveal" is totally unpredictable. If it's truly unpredictable, it wasn't effectively foreshadowed, and there's no point to that kind of secret without teasing it out. Worse if there is foreshadowing for something major that proves not to be anywhere near the truth. It says to me that the author doesn't respect his audience and he just wanted to mess with their heads. To be good, as well as being teased out, this kind of reveal ultimately has to make perfect sense within the context of the show. 

That titan that said "Ymir's people" was talking to a scout, which means, for now, that intellegent titans from the outside see Ymir as someone who is on the side of the people behind the wall.

I don't see that there's enough info there to suggest that even a little bit. We don't know the loyalties of that one speaking, screwy titan that the scout girl met. I think there's enough info to suggest that Ymir has decided she is on the side of the people behind the walls, or at least her personal friends. But what that titan's connection to Ymir is, or whether it has ANY specific connection to the people controlling the "dumb" titans, isn't clear at all. 

Here's an alternate, somewhat wilder theory, though. Rather than an alternate human faction, the titans as weapons were developed by some inhuman beings - aliens, maybe - that wanted to wipe humanity out. The ape-titan is one of these aliens, or whatever they may be. The intelligent transforming titans was the result of humans reverse engineering people who had been "titanized". But the leaders of humanity decided it was a lost battle and used their titans to create a safe zone with the walls. 

Edited by tyrthyllanos, 20 May 2013 - 05:03 PM.

mbaruh

mbaruh

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts

tyrthyllanos I get what you're saying but it doesn't have to be anything mainstream like a war or aliens. Something that was foreshadowed can still be surprising if it's original and it's not necessarily a bad thing, it just means that the author had a different line of thought. Imagine that the manga ended and all the secrets were finally revealed, you start reading it from the beginning and think "Oooooh!! the clues for it were there all along!". The fact that you weren't ABLE to predict it doesn't mean it was unpredictABLE. You may not agree with me but I have high expectations for this manga and personally I like an original plot.

Edited by mbaruh, 22 May 2013 - 10:46 AM.

ComplexRobot

ComplexRobot

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

I find the theories on a secret war going on fairly interesting. I also saw a theory that Shingeki no Kyojin was inspired by Muv-Luv.

It's not hard to see how this series takes inspiration from mech series.

Except, rather than operating huge man-made machines, they operate titans.

Most mech series are about some kind of war. (Why would they need the mechs if there wasn't a fight or need for protection?)

It seems highly possible that they are fighting some sort of alien race that invaded the Earth. (It happened in Muv-Luv.)

However, it will be interesting to see if the author puts his own twist on it.

(He's already put an incredibly bizarre twist on the mech genre.)

mbaruh

mbaruh

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts

It seems that the other-colonies theory has been almost 100% confirmed.

mbaruh

mbaruh

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts

Ok.. a theory that I just came up with spontaneously. The titans were a human experiment that went out of control. Its purpose was something like "creating the ultimate soldiers". The titanized soldiers went of control and started eating everyone so on the brink of extinction humanity used the titan technology to create the walls. All records of the experiment were destroyed. The only ones who know about it are the church people and that is why they get so pissed when somebody tries to touch the walls, cause they have to keep everything a secret. It explains why Reiner and Bertholdt need Christa/Historia, because she could know the whole truth or at least pull the right strings. Note how her name Historia (History) was hidden by the name Christa (christianity- religion). The author probably did this on purpose.

Edit: I'm getting a very anti- religious vibe from the mangaka.

Some of the titanized soldiers managed to take control over their titan form and created that colony of theirs with Reiner and the others.. also explains why they call themselves warriors.

Now, no one said that Eren is the biological child of the parents we've seen in the series. From the last chapter (47) we can speculate that Eren is just like Ymir and roamed the land for several decades only that he doesn't remember anything. In that case, Eren's dad (the one in the series) could have found the secret to reverse the titanization and took custody of Eren. He called him his son while he was actually his experiment subject. Don't have much more to work with for now, we'll have to wait for more chapters.

The language only Ymir could read could be the language that was used before the titan apocalypse. That ape titan could be from another colony, or maybe he came out from inside the wall itself (when they searched for a breach they never looked up,  and it was dark, maybe he was from a higher part of the wall). It also explains why he could titanize people- maybe he was in the inner circle of the experiment and then was betrayed or something. Again, I don't have much to work with. Anyway he is free now.

Now, as for the topic of the thread............... I have no idea. I need to work on that.

EDIT:

Ok, so I've thought of something. It's a bit far fetched but I will give it a go anyway:

If my human experiment theory is correct, then all the titans might be incomplete or defective results, and Eren might be the one successful experiment, the perfected titan, or as he was called in the last chapter: "it".

The perfection can be expressed by...... immortality. Titans can be killed, and they should be easier to be killed when they are in human form..................... right? So what happened when he got swallowed by the titan at the beiginning of the series? The injury was not self inflicted, and he didn't even know he could turn into a titan. He just did when he was about to die.

Now this is where things get wierd: The name of the first chapter is "To you, in 2000 years". In that chapter, he suddenly starts shedding tears for no apparent reason, shortly before his mother was killed. Furthermore, when Mikasa wakes him up, he makes this wierd comment that her hair got longer, and a few years later, she cuts her hair. Now, you might say that this is meaningless, but I don't think the author added any meaningless details. If I am right, this manga is going to get even more f**ked up than it already is.

Edited by mbaruh, 24 July 2013 - 02:50 PM.

Aleks

Aleks

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 48 posts

yeah it did stroke me, the name of the first chapter "in 2000 years"

depends if we take that from the present and then, it's the future or the contrary, from the past blabla..

we can speculate a lot just from that (and from everything else rofl)

about the theory of the war and the side of reiner and co

if they were struggling and fighting against government and church, why not make contact whith the scouting legion?

as we saw when eren was judged, the clerc wanted eren to get killed

the chielf of the scouting opposed that so they are not in the same boat,  the side of reiner could have made contact and shared info like (I know it's stupid) "hey you're like trapped rats in your walls but your real enemy is not the giant or the armored titan lololz"

we saw many times that ervin is not the type to trash any theory and he would have considered reiner's party reasonning

instead there were no contacts and his goal was to capture annie to get infos, not to share

just another piece of thinking :

annie and co killed the titans who were held captives by the scouting legion

why killing them???

the secret of a person inside was already almost discovered by eren's existence, so what was she triying to cover...

that led ervin to a sure conviction that eren was not the only one, and that there was another party with undefined goals, she gave them more infos instead

for sure the ape-titan is not in the same boat as reiner's party, neither in the government/church's party

as of now (chap 47) we know for sure there are 3 groups :

-reiner's human titans

-the ape titan and...???

-the soldiers who are fighting for the people/gov inside the walls

making theorys is nice and all (and many of the theorys exposed here have some solid backing)

but let's wait another couple of months (depend how long the author makes us wait for reiner and co to FINALLY open their mouths and explai to eren/us what the fuck is going on) to devellop better based theorys

as of now speculation is the only thing we can do and there's too much we don't know

seems like the longetivity of a titan is not known 1st :

-story of reiner and co or even ymir from 60 years ago (I think, well a lot of time) and so how do they age?annie, reiner and even eren (he's a special case since he was titanized by his father, or just awaken?!) DID age, if not by the 3 years of training, people would have become suspicious of them not aging and growing at all

-seems like the titans inside the walls are alive (the priest hurrying to cover them from sunlight)

well I have many theories up my sleeve but it's pointless to state them all here as we'll have a better understanding soon enough

oh and to reply for the original topic about eren's importance XD

yeah he IS important he's the MC after all :P

more serioulsy, his father is one of the keys to the mystery and many people understand it (scouting, reiner's party)

if it was only about his basement, reiner and co could have gone directly to check what's inside (well they are powerfull titans after all...) so the basement don't have the infos needed or else eren has the infos burried somewhere in his messed up head

and remember in the beggining when eren's father say "you must take back wall maria and go to the basement to save mikasa, armin and everyone"

if eren's father was with reiner's party, the wall would not have been breached, and saving "everyone" means saving people inside the walls, which are the only people eren knows of, so eren's father's fighting for the people inside the wall even though is knowledge of titans is still a mystery (he seems to have too much knowledge as a doctor, like how he saved hannes wife from a plague wich aparently other doctors could not)

second, we have yet to see his abilities (if he has some) as a titan

and finally, even if just for people inside the walls, he became a symbol of resistance against titans (just re-read the part about the boulder)

either way it's sure he has some importance for the scouting legion (only titan fighting by their side and a key to the birth of titans and their origins)

for reiner's party (their goal was to capture him, not ymir, she was just a side dish not really needed)

and just to say (someone has said "mc from a shonen") shingeki is a SEINEN, I've yet to see heads and limbs cut all over the place in one piece/naruto :D

Edited by Aleks, 25 July 2013 - 04:58 AM.

mbaruh

mbaruh

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts

@Aleks:

1. It's easy enough to answer why Reiner and the others didn't inform anyone about the truth: vengeance. If we go by my theory, than the people responsible for the experiment and their descendants are still behind the walls. Now that I think of it Eren's dad might have taken part in the experiment (I think we can agree that time no longer has any meaning in SNK) which is why he has such a vast knowledge. 

2. It's Armin

3. Eren's identity can be multiple things:

a. It's like you said he got titanized by his father.

b. It's like I said and Eren is like Ymir and roamed the land for many years and is actually like 80 years old, which is ironic because roaming the land is his life-long dream

c. Both his parents are titans so he is titan-born, maybe the only one, and maybe that's why Reiner and the others were so surprised when they found out that he is a titan and need him. So your theory about Eren's father being a titan is actually possible. It also explains how he could have taken part in the experiment.

4. The question in this topic is what makes him so special from other titans, not what he symbolizes to the common folk.

5. I'm not sure Reiner and the others even know about the basement.. I'll need to check that. Even if they do it has nothing to do with them.. it seems they already know everything.

6. If you have more theories, feel free to share them, that's what we do here ;)

7. SNK is definitely a shounen. Regardless of the flying limbs everywhere, the story has many shounen elements and it is published in a shounen magazine.

Edited by mbaruh, 25 July 2013 - 02:50 PM.