Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Worth the read?

worth read medaka box

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

aznb0y1113

aznb0y1113

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

Is this manga worth the read? I like to read completed mangas, but I'm afraid to go all the way to the end and get terrible experiences from mangas like Cage of Eden, GE, Unbalance X Unbalance, and many other completed mangas that I cannot think of as of this moment.

Edited by aznb0y1113, 28 April 2013 - 06:17 AM.

Nightdragon

Nightdragon

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 45 posts

sounds like to me you just don't like drama mangas (which i can relate), this one really isn't a drama so i think your safe, just don't expect alot of seriousness, alot of gag stuff and, a few 4th wall breaking

Edited by Nightdragon, 28 April 2013 - 01:05 PM.

Vandreth

Vandreth

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
Chapters 1-15 hokey comedy manga, made me drop it last year
15-35 okay battle manga
35-* 10/10 would come home to make sweet love/fucking and make bed in breakfast for the next morning

Nisioisin has slow starts to his stories, but when it gets going, there are no breaks on his rape train.

WaterlyWinds

WaterlyWinds

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPortugal

This is a must read-- its an awesome battle manga-- suited for shounen
do it
at first ir may seem boring. but trust me... it wont
promise me after reading it you will make your own skill here

http://vatoto.com/forums/topic/12396-your-own-skill/

Save the forests !!!

Wise Kurt

Wise Kurt

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSomewhere very far from another place...

Insane plot twists, 4th wall breaks, character development, conclusive end and

Spoiler

Go for it!

Mild Fracas

Mild Fracas

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationThe Disco

Soon after class minus 13 showed up, this manga had gone so far off into left field that i just couldnt read it anymore. This manga has a serious case of "well that escalated quickly." Some character shows up afterwards that has 1 trillion(yes, trillion) powers and has lived for thousands of years, except for the times she's died but she doesn't actually die cause she can come back to life whenever the fuck she wants. It's so retarded i don't even know what to say. Anyways, I read the last 30-some chapters when i saw that it had ended. Let me condense the final fight:

Spoiler

It becomes a shitstorm of asspulling, it has more characters than chapters, with a completely out-of-control plot. Hell, i don't even remember what the plot was about after about chapter 30. It got changed whenever it was convenient, adding unnecessary complexity to the story just making it even more confusing and stupid.

This manga is an abomination. I'll never understand why so many people liked it. Hate me if you want, but this manga is terrible.

roro-son

roro-son

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Locationcanada

you bring up a few solid points StayFrostyX, but lets be honest here....who doesn't enjoy a good asspull every once in a blue moon?

Mild Fracas

Mild Fracas

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationThe Disco

you bring up a few solid points StayFrostyX, but lets be honest here....who doesn't enjoy a good asspull every once in a blue moon?

That's true. It wouldn't be much of a shounen with out a good asspull every now and then. However I draw the line once the amount of asspulling exceeds the value of "a shitstorm".

roro-son

roro-son

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Locationcanada

That's true. It wouldn't be much of a shounen with out a good asspull every now and then. However I draw the line once the amount of asspulling exceeds the value of "a shitstorm".

and god forbid if that shitstorm sparked a shit-nami or evolved into a shit blizzard......jesus mary and josephine someone needs to put a stop to all this asspulling 0_0

Shintaigo

Shintaigo

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

Lol, addressing your question, "Is this worth the read?" my answer is no. Maybe the first few chapters, but I agree with Frosty. This turned to shit real quick. Medaka is probably one of the most annoying characters I've ever seen in any comic and the general theme of the characters is "Know-it-all", "Cheerful/Insane to a cringe-worthy extent", and "Bitch". What killed it for me was how obnoxious the characters who fell under the first theme were, though. I twitched with annoyance so many times reading this that I had to leave. The level of asspull is around assquake-tier for me and that's just a little too much.

oweoqqqh

oweoqqqh

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

This manga is meant to be a mockery of the Shounen archetype. So everything you typically see in Shounen mags will either be exaggerated to the point of being ludicrous, or shunned into oblivion. As far as genres go, it's gag first, followed by battle, with a sprinkle of romance. This combo lead to a lot of problems with the fans, because many of them wanted the emphasis to be more seriously on battles or romance, but Nisio prioritized the gag aspect (hence the complaints from said parties about "trolling").

I'd say this manga is worth a read just for its uniqueness and unpredictability. What you have to keep in mind throughout is that it's a gag manga, because if you don't you're just going to rage.

Edited by oweoqqqh, 05 July 2013 - 06:09 PM.

Mild Fracas

Mild Fracas

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationThe Disco

This manga is meant to be a mockery of the Shounen archetype. So everything you typically see in Shounen mags will either be exaggerated to the point of being ludicrous, or shunned into oblivion. As far as genres go, it's gag first, followed by battle, with a sprinkle of romance. This combo lead to a lot of problems with the fans, because many of them wanted the emphasis to be more seriously on battles or romance, but Nisio prioritized the gag aspect (hence the complaints from said parties about "trolling").

I'd say this manga is worth a read just for its uniqueness and unpredictability. What you have to keep in mind throughout is that it's a gag manga, because if you don't you're just going to rage.

Shounen mangas(the combat types) are typically over-the-top fantasy stories that range from embellished martial arts to planet-wide destruction at the flick of a finger. The shounen genre is inherently ludicrous and crazy to begin with. If you're going to make fun of it without using specific references then you need to be even more insane than what you're trying to make fun of. This manga doesn't do that well so it comes off as a bunch of shounen stereotypes piled on top of each other, and that is NOT how you make a gag manga.

Let me give you an example of a proper gag manga(although it's a seinen the gag principal is basically the same) - A Great Gag Manga.

Well, this is all my opinion so take it for what you will. This isn't crazy enough to be a gag manga, so with the piles of stereotypes not doing their job as gags they eat away at the rest of the manga.

As a result this manga became G-A-R-B-A-G-E

mordeth4

mordeth4

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

as a pure parody of the shounen genre? yes.

as anything else? no

This manga is all over the place all the time. i didnt mind the first 2fighting arcs but the powers excalated way out of control. the characters interaction is inconsistant and the ending is unsatisfying and childish.

at some point i was only reading to see how it would end...

LePhenom

LePhenom

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 52 posts

I don't get all the hate for this series, it is pure gold and brilliant. Only the beginning sucks, after that it gets really awesome on so many levels.

Inferalic

Inferalic

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

Wow a lot of hate. Well that was kinda to be expected.
Concerning the question if you should read this or not, if it still bothers you after the 4 months that have passed, I think its good to lead with another question: Have you ever read or watched any of the Authors other works? If you have and liked then by all means go for it, if not well then don't excpect Medaka Box to be any different. Nisio Isin is one of these either love em or hate em authors, what he writes is always a persiflage of something in one way or another and he loves to play with the unspoken rules of certain genres and makes em visible through exagerating them into nonsense. I like his works but i think a lot of people have a problem with his type of humor, he is a troll heck in MB on Character announced that the Manga would end before the Anime series started and all the fans where like what the shit only 2 more months? No! Why? etc. and when the time for the ending came (and it would have made an as good ending as the real one) he was like nope, only because the characters speak to the reader sometimes doesn't mean they are right, they are simply delusional because they are thinking they live in a Manga, Trolololo. Well i like these kind of gags so i loved the Manga but to honest you have to know a lot about battle shounen to understand what he is getting at. If you like your stories about people training and getting stronger to fight the final boss who turns out to be only a minion, well then there are a bunch of other Mangas that would fit you better, but if you like things that seem random at first overexagerated cliches and a a crapload of character development then by all means read this. Also concerning the bad start thing, i don't think the beginning is unreadable its just not a battle shounen by then, the first 15 chapters or so are simple some kind of episodic school romance comedy whatever about teaching the students right and wrong... or something along the lines, well it serves a purpose since when the first battle arc starts you understand the cast to an rather great extent already so they don't have to do some random flashbacks in later. Still its not nearly as fast paced as the later parts of the series so you might find it to be broing but thats your decision.

Pyronex

Pyronex

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts

Soon after class minus 13 showed up, this manga had gone so far off into left field that i just couldnt read it anymore. This manga has a serious case of "well that escalated quickly." Some character shows up afterwards that has 1 trillion(yes, trillion) powers and has lived for thousands of years, except for the times she's died but she doesn't actually die cause she can come back to life whenever the fuck she wants. It's so retarded i don't even know what to say. Anyways, I read the last 30-some chapters when i saw that it had ended. Let me condense the final fight:

Spoiler

It becomes a shitstorm of asspulling, it has more characters than chapters, with a completely out-of-control plot. Hell, i don't even remember what the plot was about after about chapter 30. It got changed whenever it was convenient, adding unnecessary complexity to the story just making it even more confusing and stupid.

This manga is an abomination. I'll never understand why so many people liked it. Hate me if you want, but this manga is terrible.

Shounen mangas(the combat types) are typically over-the-top fantasy stories that range from embellished martial arts to planet-wide destruction at the flick of a finger. The shounen genre is inherently ludicrous and crazy to begin with. If you're going to make fun of it without using specific references then you need to be even more insane than what you're trying to make fun of. This manga doesn't do that well so it comes off as a bunch of shounen stereotypes piled on top of each other, and that is NOT how you make a gag manga.

Let me give you an example of a proper gag manga(although it's a seinen the gag principal is basically the same) - A Great Gag Manga.

Well, this is all my opinion so take it for what you will. This isn't crazy enough to be a gag manga, so with the piles of stereotypes not doing their job as gags they eat away at the rest of the manga.

As a result this manga became G-A-R-B-A-G-E ♡

Holy shit are you me? Pretty much nailed my thoughts down exactly and then even listed one of my top favorite gag mangas.

Ggiov

Ggiov

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

I honestly enjoyed the first 35 or so chapters, the next twenty were a bit meh... for me, after that I read 4-5 more chapters and then quit Medaka Box for good. I think you should read the first 50-60 chapters yourself before you decide whether you love it or hate it.

Edited by Ggiov, 29 December 2013 - 12:57 PM.

TK Titanium

TK Titanium

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

I'm on chapter 118.  The only thing keeping me going is my completionist attitude and even that is wearing thin.  I clicked on this topic to see if there was any motivation to help me finish it...

M.A.D

M.A.D

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 259 posts

Wow, this manga receives a lot of hate, huh? Me not included though. I'm one of those who stays at the deep end of the enjoyment pool. Well, I did drop this manga once, but having continued and followed it to the final chapter, I can look back and honestly say that I had a good time reading it. The plot twists were at least quite interesting, albeit over-the-top at times, to follow. The battles were quite decent if you enjoy battle shonen types and I especially enjoyed the twisted logics of the crazy characters. If you read from chapter 1 onwards, chances are you'll really hate it, because after the first 12 chapters, the genre started changing quite drastically, so people who liked the manga at first might not like it later on, while those who would have liked its later developments never made past the first chapters. 

I'm on chapter 118.  The only thing keeping me going is my completionist attitude and even that is wearing thin.  I clicked on this topic to see if there was any motivation to help me finish it...

Well, this arc is a bit tedious, but if you can survive until chapter 139 or so, there's a reward waiting at the end of the rainbow  :P

Edit: The arc after that one is worth reading, too

Edited by M.A.D, 17 November 2013 - 02:54 AM.

...or do you believe, that the individual can steer the ship of self, to his port of choice, however emphatically the world may try to blow him? - JoJo

Fakinha

Fakinha

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brasil

It's worth because of Kumagawa. No, seriously, once Kumagawa appears, you (I, at least) start reading only to see what will happen to/around him.

Medaka Box has its ups and downs, like any average shounen manga, 'till the end of Anshin'in's saga, then it decays heavily.

Hikiko's saga is UTTER GARBAGE, seriously bad, even Bleach is better than that.