Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

What aspect of translation is more important to you?

Poll

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: What aspect of translation is more important to you? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

What aspect of translation is more important to you?

1. Voted Adequacy: I like manga translation to retain characteristics of the language of the original, to show the linguistic and cultural differences between Japanese culture and my own. (32 votes [72.73%])

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

2. Fluency: I like manga translation to read as if the author was native English speakers, so that linguistic and cultural differences are minimized. (12 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Eien No

Eien No

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 217 posts

Fluency. I'm a proofreader and that's definitely what I strive for when I make my corrections. Of course, I tend to favor the translator's wording and only when it sounds completely strange that I make any corrections but as a generality, I try to stick with wording that will roll easily off the tongue.

That being said, the way characters communicate in manga is expotentially different than the way a conversation in english would be carried out. We don't use honorifics and we don't tend to call our siblings "big brother" or "little sister" when speaking with them. Oni-san and Nee-chan have a different feel to them so when these terms come up in manga, I'd prefer if they were kept as so. It's the same when characters have some sort of special move and the english translation is strange and I mean the bad strange.

In a sense I suppose I support the middle-ground, but I do tend to favor fluency.

Myrrh.gif

manga2x

manga2x

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTawi Tawi naval district

No Middle ground choice...

Any Reason why there is No Middle ground choice?

I that case, Adequacy (Accuracy) is more important to me than Fluency

I don't mean it as absolute Adequacy.

I do support sacrificing a bit of Accuracy for the sake Fluency.

Hence, the middle ground choice is my actual preference.

Edited by manga2x, 28 April 2013 - 09:41 AM.

Matteo Fabbretti

Matteo Fabbretti

Fingerling Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 56 posts

There is not middle ground because both choices are meant to be general tendencies, not absolutes.

The first choice does not mean absolute literalism: it could mean footnotes or honorifics or anything else.

The second choice does not mean rewriting the lines completely according to the translator's whim, but make it sound as natural as possible: no notes, no honorifics (or like in the example I gave: instead of beans, candies).

Let me make an example: if I asked you "do you tend to prefer vanilla or chocolate" and you answer "vanilla" it does not mean that you hate chocolate. what I want to know, in general terms, do you tend to enjoy reading manga that try to maintain a Japanese flavour  etc.. or do you find it bothersome?

Edited by Matteo Fabbretti, 28 April 2013 - 11:46 AM.

KeySquared

KeySquared

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

As a translator (albeit a very horrible one), I try to strive for adequacy, really. I try to portray that country's words and phases so that the reader can understand culture and such; but I admit I've been leaning towards fluency lately. 

So, middle ground, I guess? Translate rocky phases to actual idioms in English (EX- Korean saying: It's like lying on your back and eating rice cakes. English saying: It's a piece of cake)  but if there's a specific cultural reference then leave it and say something in the T/N. I'm a person who just translates for fun, so... I use T/Ns more often than I'd like- but I can understand how this can be a problem for actual scanalators.

Current Raws for ToG: http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=183559&no=189&weekday=mon

Please click to support the author!

Matteo Fabbretti

Matteo Fabbretti

Fingerling Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 56 posts

I didnt put a middle ground option because I think in practice if you dont mind translator notes and onorifics you are already on the adequacy side.

so to rephrase it:

adequacy: I'm OK with notes on page, honorifics, etc. I find them useful.

fluency: I'm not OK with notes, honorifics, etc. I find them unnecessary.

Chocolate Chip

Chocolate Chip

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 628 posts

Once again, the word you are looking for is accuracy. Not adequacy.

Krazoa

Krazoa

Potato

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • LocationTrophaeum Tower

I hate when translators use dialogue which doesn’t fit with the persona or situation of the character.

One to change it, One to write a poem about it, One to cry and whine about how they miss the old One

Metroidhunter32

Metroidhunter32

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts

Typically I want the translation to flow well, but I like the honorifics still being in.  The way that I think of it, do I want the translator's primary language to be jappaneese/korean or do I want it to be english.  I perfer english, because they can determine the rough meaning and give me something that flows well.  I'm also a fan of footnotes for things that don't translate smoothly without loosing meaning, or to explain a funny pun.

Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 38 posts

I'm actually a fan of the footnotes that Translators put. I know it kind of kills some of the fluency, but I love it for the way we truly understand what the orignal saying or wording was. And sometimes (here I'm thinking TOG) it's nice when the transator explains Baam can mean both Chestnut or Night. I think it truly adds something. Also keep in mind this isn't a movie. Asides are okay, no need for absolute fluency

"They got this guy, in Germany. Fritz Something-or-other. Or is it? Maybe it's Werner. Anyway, he's got this theory, you wanna test something, you know, scientifically - how the planets go round the sun, what sunspots are made of, why the water comes out of the tap - well, you gotta look at it. But sometimes you look at it, your looking changes it. Ya can't know the reality of what happened, or what would've happened if you hadn't-a stuck in your own goddamn schnozz. So there is no "what happened"? Not in any sense that we can grasp, with our puny minds. Because our minds... our minds get in the way. Looking at something changes it. They call it the "Uncertainty Principle". Sure, it sounds screwy, but even Einstein says the guy's on to something". The Man who wasn't there.

Faye

Faye

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • Location黄金の郷

I voted accuracy (adequacy) because I like the characters to retain the "flavor" the author gives them.

I don't necessarily means you have to keep the exact same wording or jokes that won't work well in english, but giving t/l note is always a plus in my book :D

And I love translations that managed to keep the nuance of the original dialogues as much as possible :)

Example:

http://vatoto.com/read/_/78211/beelzebub_ch140_by_red-hawk-scans/19

I don't know what the real dialogues are, but this translation captures the nuance very well (Aoi a.k.a the black-haired girl in denial of the blondie's declaration, pretending that when she said wive, she meant wine)

Edited by fayrbrant, 05 June 2013 - 10:55 AM.