Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

What aspect of translation is more important to you?

Poll

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: What aspect of translation is more important to you? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

What aspect of translation is more important to you?

1. Voted Adequacy: I like manga translation to retain characteristics of the language of the original, to show the linguistic and cultural differences between Japanese culture and my own. (32 votes [72.73%])

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

2. Fluency: I like manga translation to read as if the author was native English speakers, so that linguistic and cultural differences are minimized. (12 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Matteo Fabbretti

Matteo Fabbretti

Fingerling Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 56 posts

Hi guys

I am interested in gathering some opinions about what the fans think about manga translation for a university project.

Please keep in mind that these two options are not absolute, but more like general tendencies. what I want to know is what you enjoy the most.

Edited by Matteo Fabbretti, 27 April 2013 - 12:57 PM.

Horn

Horn

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationWelded to my computer chair.
My preference: Fluency, all the way. Intact standard phrases/titles and stock translations annoy me to no end.

UIqflpq.jpg

Loki

Loki

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 932 posts
  • Locationgo figure

You also requested this on baka.

Spoiler

Matteo Fabbretti

Matteo Fabbretti

Fingerling Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 56 posts

Yes, I considered batoto and mangaupdates as separate communities, so I wanted to see what people though in both.

Edited by Matteo Fabbretti, 27 April 2013 - 02:32 PM.

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

Adequacy since I consider that many things are lost in translation, so I think it's best to stay as close as possible to the original.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

always fluency. a good translator and proofreader can always find equivalents, and always should. those who don't are just lazy. or aren't that good at it.

of course, honorifics are a different matter...

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

always fluency. a good translator and proofreader can always find equivalents, and always should. those who don't are just lazy. or aren't that good at it.

Of course I agree with you but I always feel like there's something lost in translation, even if you're the best translator. The language reflect the culture and the the way people think, sometimes there's just no equivalent for a word in another language. Or it's not completely equivalent, and that's what I don't like.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Of course I agree with you but I always feel like there's something lost in translation, even if you're the best translator. The language reflect the culture and the the way people think, sometimes there's just no equivalent for a word in another language. Or it's not completely equivalent, and that's what I don't like.

so if it's perfectly literally translated but reads like a monster truck going over cars, it's okay?

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

so if it's perfectly literally translated but reads like a monster truck going over cars, it's okay?

I never said literally translated.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

give an example, then. aside from honorifics, names, places, and so on

Horn

Horn

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationWelded to my computer chair.
There's no way to 100% perfectly translate one language into another without having to sacrifice either fluency or adequacy. A translator will always have to find some middle ground. For this I will favor fluency, even localization if necessary.

(I'm not too big on suffixes even, but I've sorta learned to accept them...)

UIqflpq.jpg

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

I don't have one. I don't have any "solution" for the "problem" I just said. I just think that a translated sentence can't always be considered exactly the same as the original one because of the cultural differences, etc... that make the languages different.

Edited by Rol, 27 April 2013 - 02:51 PM.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

I don't have one. I don't have any "solution" for the "problem" I just said. I just think that a translated sentence can't always be considered exactly the same as the original one because of the cultural differences, etc... that make the languages different.

that much is true... and horn's right, there will never be perfect fluency, either. but i'd rather translators tried to do their best in terms of fluency, rather than sacrificing it for a tiny bit of extra accuracy.

oh well, different strokes for different citizens.

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

that much is true... and horn's right, there will never be perfect fluency, either. but i'd rather translators tried to do their best in terms of fluency, rather than sacrificing it for a tiny bit of extra accuracy.

oh well, different strokes for different citizens.

Just to say that I'm quite happy with the way the mangas are translated right now, I didn't want to sound aggressive ^^ To me the suffixes, the names and the locations should be left intact, after that you can do what you want x)

Anyway if translators decide to be less accurate for more fluency I won't even see it.

What I said apply essentially to movies or series I watch subbed and sometimes think "That's not really exactly what it means" or something like that, but I know it's really not an easy job.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Just to say that I'm quite happy with the way the mangas are translated right now, I didn't want to sound aggressive ^^ To me the suffixes, the names and the locations should be left intact, after that you can do what you want x)

yess agree

well we ain't perfect XD now if only we didn't build the tower of babel...

Loki

Loki

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 932 posts
  • Locationgo figure

It always depends on the pov , if i was the translator i Fluency is what should be strived for , but as a reader i prefer Adequacy , especially the idioms and proverbs that dont have counterparts in the english language , i rather they werent substituted with what is closest to our undestanding , but explained why they were left in the original version.

Spoiler

Matteo Fabbretti

Matteo Fabbretti

Fingerling Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 56 posts

Guys, this is not a "problem" with a "solution". I am just interested in what you enjoy best. there are not right or wrong answer, just preferences.

Here is an example of what I had in mind: in the Japanese, this is a joke about  "oni wa soto"  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setsubun

but its been adapted into english with a reference to halloween.

lum_vol01_ch01.urusei_yatsura_wb_vol_01_

Edited by Matteo Fabbretti, 27 April 2013 - 03:36 PM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Well, as you've got the question (and answers) phrased, I voted for "Adequacy" ...........I suppose in large part because I feel, like has been expressed here already, that there really is no "perfect" translation from one language to another. Some of the responsibility of understanding, not just the words but the nuances as well,  lies with the reader.,  

It would seem to me that too much effort or attempt to "sound like the author was a native english speaker" could create as many problems, and lose as much of the author's original meaning,  as a poor translation. 

Tn7HA0h.png

Phil777

Phil777

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMontréal

I voted for Adequacy, but TRUELY (and I do some linguistics on the side, so I should know), there should be some sort of middle ground between the two. =/

Or if the joke really does not translate that well, go for fluency, but explain the joke elsewhere, like the credits or in a TL note. =/

Chocolate Chip

Chocolate Chip

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 628 posts

Umm, don't you mean "accuracy" instead of "adequacy"?