Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Am I The Only One Who Hates Adachi?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Misa

Misa

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOtaku City.....where else? ^-^

Like seriously.Basically I can't stand her. She's stupid, self-centered and manipulative (in my opinion.) she doesn't deserve Rita well I guess she does he's a scum bag as well. I realize that her character may be appealing to others and that she may be seen as funny, but characters like her just aggravate me and I can't understand why people like her. There's lots of other manga's with similar female characters and I can't stand them either! not to mention how unrealistic her character is?!? I mean you can relate with Hatori so much more. i don't anyone who is that nice or what I would call her; FAKE .Am I missing something here?!

sharks

sharks

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

I also hate Adachi. Like, majorly.

I think you're kind of supposed to not like her though, at this point. I think that the point of Adachi's character at this point in the story is to prove how unrealistic the typical shoujo main character is, and how flawed that person would be in real life. I can kind of understand her perspective though, being a shy, gloomy person who has a hard time making friends, but dreams of bigger things. But her main problem is that she really only has one relationship that she cares about that we know of: Rita. She says that when she started going out with Rita, her world opened up, but her problem is that she mistook her love as the only way for her to open up, making her clingy and unstable. I think she also started to realize her hypocrisy a little after she found out Rita kissed Hatori, but she's avoiding the problem by trying to cover it up and move on, when in reality, she's still stuck in the same spot.

Seriously, I love this manga, the characters and their relationships and roles are seriously on another level compared to most shoujo mangas.

Pillamelai

Pillamelai

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSpain

I started liking her more when she revealed her passion for journalism, and spent some time abroad. Frankly, I think the other characters have the wrong idea about her. Maybe her world opened up because of Rita, but I don't think them breaking up would cause her to revert to her original state. Rita will definitely break up with her (that's a given), but I hope she'll be mature about it.

madelinelime

madelinelime

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 34 posts

I find her boring and not really likeable, but I don't understand extreme hate towards her.

Vueiy

Vueiy

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 35 posts

I think the reader is supposed to have conflicting opinions/emotions about her.  First, we're introduced to our "heroine" Hatori, who--although flawed--is quite likable.  She has some nasty traits (I don't care how much you "love" a person, trying to steal them away when they're in a committed relationship is about how much you love yourself; plus the kinda guy you can steal away can be stolen away from you), but that might be all the more reason some people root for her (people are often "comforted" by a flawed character as further evidence that they themselves aren't too bad).  Then in comes Adachi, who actually embodies what many other shoujo heroines do.  She's kind, sweet, modest, shy, and seemingly has no faults (or very minor ones).  By all appearances she's a better person (better personality, etc.) than Hatori...which is why people hate her.  She's better than Hatori and everyone else.  You can call her "fake," but it just comes off as jealousy.  Most people couldn't handle all the crap she had to put up with in a gracious manner, yet she does, even continuing to show concern for Rita after he's broken up w/ her.

I'll admit that I didn't like her much myself, but not because she was fake; it was because she was stealing the show from Hatori (and I was already rooting for Hatori).  I don't hate her, though, and after all the crap Rita put her through, I hope she finds a nice, (mentally, emotionally) stable guy who will treat her well.

So in short, I think you're "supposed" to hate her...and feel guilty about it, since she hasn't done anything wrong.  She's all the things a "heroine" should be that Hatori can't seem to be.

Edited by Vueiy, 07 July 2013 - 03:04 AM.

LilacMacaron

LilacMacaron

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

She aggravated me less because she's immature but more that Rita treats her terribly and still cared for him. I honestly like her more at the end because while everyone thinks she's destroying herself, I think she actually just came into her own and realized that she doesn't have to stick with perceptions of a "good girl" and can do what she wants and if people take issue with it, then it's their problem. 

Edited by LilacMacaron, 30 September 2016 - 02:33 AM.