Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Fantasy as in: EPIC STORIES.

Lord Rings Wise Mans Fear Name Wind Eragon Fantasy Epic

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Jod

Jod

Potato

• Members
  • 146 posts

Lets see....

Lets see my favorite series in no particular order would be...

Mistborn

Lord of the Rings( an oldie but a goldie)

Night Angel

Kingkiller Chornicles

Wheel of Time(the longest series I've read till date, O.O)

Codex Alera(literally pokemon + the lost roman legion + epic fantasy, impossible to go wrong IMO)

there are quite a few more but my memory fails me as usual T.T

qEZtZafl.png

I AM HE. HE AM ME. ME IS HE

nevernown

nevernown

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • Location-1x378DE022

Ohh, life in the thread~

I recognize 5 out of 6 you named, and I read 4 of them ;)

Did I already name "the wall of night"-series??

Professional Titles, granted by forum-members: Hobbit, Wordsmith, Weirdo, Creep, Reachable Height, DJ, Bishie, Beautiful Poet, Professor, Dutchie-Boy, Writer, Pervy-Sage, Cookie, "Teia: Oh gosh", Geeky boy, Traitor, Stalker (more to be expected)

gkq0.png

Creativity
- Thoughts
- SoundCloud

Jod

Jod

Potato

• Members
  • 146 posts

hmm I dont think so.. Though It does seem interesting, Owo

/adds to reading list

Also another excellent series!

the Demon Cycle(the flavor of this book is slightly different and rather fun!)

qEZtZafl.png

I AM HE. HE AM ME. ME IS HE

zno

zno

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationFrance

Saga of Recluce, Corean Chronicles, The Imager Portfolio; all by L. E. Modessit, Jr. You want realistic battled and wars? He's got 'em. It all checks out, in terms of logistics, economics, politics...some brilliant scheming here. The author's a former soldier; he knows his stuff.

:batoto_022:

Was Modessit carpenter too ?

Lanfear

Lanfear

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationFanfiction.net

Hm... My favorites are:

Demon Cycle

Kingkiller Chronicle

Wheel of Time (I'm still reading book 5 but it's awesome)

Mistborn

Throne of Glass

Raven's Shadow

Lord of the Rings

The Stormlight Archive

tumblr_oj88tuwaZo1qh0pg6o1_250.gif

Sigrún Mercy

nevernown

nevernown

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • Location-1x378DE022

Odinan recommended "the dragon's path" to me

It's good so far

Yeah, My friends had complaints about Eragon as well, but honestly...

I kinda think that Paolini will write more about alagaesia (Dang, I forgot the proper spelling D: )

For everyone who posted up till now, THANKS SO MUCH

For me personally, 50% of the books mentioned is unread, and about 30% is new~

Sadly, I either read books too fast, or I don't have time to read at all ;_;

But everytime I need a good read, THIS THREAD!

Professional Titles, granted by forum-members: Hobbit, Wordsmith, Weirdo, Creep, Reachable Height, DJ, Bishie, Beautiful Poet, Professor, Dutchie-Boy, Writer, Pervy-Sage, Cookie, "Teia: Oh gosh", Geeky boy, Traitor, Stalker (more to be expected)

gkq0.png

Creativity
- Thoughts
- SoundCloud

nevernown

nevernown

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • Location-1x378DE022

Its reasonable for many people to complain.

Spoiler

Yeah, that was the exact reason my friend gave~

Now, I do agree that I was sad, but I kinda still hope he'll make up for that in a new series/book XD

I suspect he won't, but I can dream :3

gkq0.png

Creativity
- Thoughts
- SoundCloud

ldyrdy

ldyrdy

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 24 posts

i'm reading the alchemist.. do you guys know about that book?

and since I just finished my novel, I recommended it too... the background story is much more like SAO and Logi horizon.. it's about online games.. so, if anyone interested, here's the link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3d1ya6xlq42l3wu/Rebirth_Online_-_A_New_Beginning.pdf

thanks...

Alraisen

Alraisen

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 589 posts
  • LocationProbably not here.

i'm reading the alchemist.. do you guys know about that book?

Not bad, although too much battles sometimes. But I will agree the final of the saga is fucking amazing.

Well.

The Kingkiller's Chronicles

The Witcher's Saga

The Wheel of Time

Kingkiller's Chronicles

Maybe Way of Kings (waiting WoR to get translated).

Seriously, Kinkiller's is so fucking good it has made me feel unhappy in almost every book I read because it's not as good as KKC. Only The Witcher and a book I'm reading now (you don't know how much delighted I am right now), named Finnikin of the Stone don't have that feeling.

But, if by any chance, you haven't read Kingkiller... please please please reeeeeeead it.

Spoiler

http://i.imgur.com/FZox7ZH.gif

Spoiler

Lanfear

Lanfear

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationFanfiction.net

Not bad, although too much battles sometimes. But I will agree the final of the saga is fucking amazing.

Well.

The Witcher's Saga

The Wheel of Time

Kingkiller's Chronicles

Maybe Way of Kings (waiting WoR to get translated).

Seriously, Kinkiller's is so fucking good it has made me feel unhappy in almost every book I read because it's not as good as KKC. Only The Witcher and a book I'm reading now (you don't know how much delighted I am right now), named Finnikin of the Stone don't have that feeling.

But, if by any chance, you haven't read Kingkiller... please please please reeeeeeead it.

If you felt that way reading KKC, wait 'till you read Words of Radiance. IT'S SO FUCKING GOOD I CAN'T EVEN LOOK AT OTHER BOOKS THE SAME WAY ANYMORE.

tumblr_oj88tuwaZo1qh0pg6o1_250.gif

Sigrún Mercy

Alraisen

Alraisen

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 589 posts

If you felt that way reading KKC, wait 'till you read Words of Radiance. IT'S SO FUCKING GOOD I CAN'T EVEN LOOK AT OTHER BOOKS THE SAME WAY ANYMORE.

What does it have that compares to KKC?

What I saw in the first book was: writing "focused inthe story and nothing more", very good characters (Kaladin FTW), a very complex story, and an awesome world. But it lacked in terms of entertainment; there were moments where I had to force a little to pass to the next chapter, hoping it would be Kaladin. I'm not saying I didn't like it, in fact I loved it and it would be one of the best series around. But still, not that much.

Anyway, just remember a book called "The book of the lost things". Absolutely fucking loved it. Seriously, why do I tend to forget things as good as this? It happened the same when saying the best mangas I had read, I forgot about Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Buttock Follicle

Buttock Follicle

Couch Potato

• Contributor
  • 2,433 posts
  • Locationfuttocking away~
The Stormlight Archive is one of fantasy's top selling authors self-confessed love letter to epic fantasy. It has all the tropes, Crowning Moments of Awesome and just epic-as-fuck scenes (I'm using the word epic too much). Also has so much Hoid, more cosmere stuff and the great and almighty Stick.

Sanderson does have lacklustre prose especially if you compare him to Rothfuss, but he spins a compelling world with exacting magic systems.

I don't think anyone mentioned Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson or the Magician / Midkemia novels by Raymond Feist. Both bestselling with loads of books. Another series is Shadows of the Apt by Adrian Tchaikovsky, he writes them so fast. And how could I forget the Memory, Sorrow, Thorn books by Tad Williams. That's all straight up adult mainstream epic fantasy, I'm honestly fonder of the broader fantasy genre.

shelly

shelly

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 302 posts

Anything fantasy in league with Lord of the Rings?

Well... I don't know.. I haven't read the Lord of the Rings yet (I'm just starting) so I don't know what counts.

I'm just going to say Sabriel because its fantasy and its my old favorite, and the Dragons of Pern series because its long and because Dragons. (Looking at Wikipedia it says science fiction, but when I read it, it was listed as fantasy too, so yeah... )

Edited by shelly, 23 April 2014 - 04:02 PM.

strixflash

strixflash

Potato

• Contributor
  • 198 posts
I tried Kingkiller Chronicles & tried very hard to like it & appreciate it but I just can't :( I find it rather bad and sometimes I wonder why people even tag it as epic fantasy...

First half of Name of Wind was real good but afterwards it became plain bad... Author tries to repeat one thing in every chapter: The MC is perfect & smart. Well, that is good if you can actually show his wits/smartness but it just doesn't works if you say it... instead show it. MC impresing everyone with his singing & other musical abilities was extremly boring as well ;( Even second novel is entirely spend on showing lead perfect in everything (maybe not romance) .... I was extremly tired of the amount of text wasted for boring romantic feeling lead felt for the heroine & how he tried to find her in both novels :( Really bad read sadly.

Noblesse Forever!

Spoiler

Alraisen

Alraisen

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 589 posts

I tried Kingkiller Chronicles & tried very hard to like it & appreciate it but I just can't :( I find it rather bad and sometimes I wonder why people even tag it as epic fantasy...

First half of Name of Wind was real good but afterwards it became plain bad... Author tries to repeat one thing in every chapter: The MC is perfect & smart. Well, that is good if you can actually show his wits/smartness but it just doesn't works if you say it... instead show it. MC impresing everyone with his singing & other musical abilities was extremly boring as well ;( Even second novel is entirely spend on showing lead perfect in everything (maybe not romance) .... I was extremly tired of the amount of text wasted for boring romantic feeling lead felt for the heroine & how he tried to find her in both novels :( Really bad read sadly.

Although being my favourite books, I have to agree with you on that matter.

I didn't feel tired of Kvothe's intelligence during the first read, nor the reread, but when i saw someone had wrote about that, I had to agree with him. Still, I never am tired of Kvothe, but it's a good point.

But man, his evolution in the second book is breath-taking. 

And now to Denna. Yep. The only character I feel hatred towards. But you should focus in all the other good characters. Who is pretty much everyone else in the books, in my opinion. 

About epic fantasy, it's not *only* epic fantasy. It's also a story about a man, a REAL story about a man, even if he is incredibly powerful (and that's why Pat writes so much about Denna, because, as a youngling, she is very important to him). But it definitely has epicness.  It's a different shade of epic, though.

At least *I* am accostumed to see fantasy books where the MC gets to save all the fucking world. Instead of doing that, Pat tells a personal story.

Still, there are scenes that are undoubtedly epic in my opinion. I won't list them, because I don't want to spoil anything.

I know I probably sounded too pedantic. I'm sorry if I did.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Draegh

Draegh

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

Some good series I've read are as follows:

The Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks

The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson (long but worth it.)

The Black Company by Glenn Cook

and that's about it as far as series go for me.

Murdath

Murdath

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Locationhere.

I wont bother to list the ones already mentioned

The Seven Realms - Cinda Chima Williams

The Heir Chronicles - Cinda Chima Williams

Fablehaven - Brandon Mull

The secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel - Michael Scott

The Jewel in the Skull - Michael Moorcock

Corum - Michael Moorcock

Chronicles of Elric - Michael Moorcock

Elric of Melniboné - Michael Moorcock

I'll come back if I remember more. Probably...

No one wants to be a slave. But if you do, please email me, because I'm looking for a few good slaves.

ponyyy

ponyyy

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 85 posts

Kind of shocked there aren't kids books included in this list. Some of the old stuff is seriously epic on par with LOTR.

My personal favorite: The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander (5 books, but a really fast read surprisingly)

And some others that haven't been mentioned I think, in no particular order:

The Bridei Chronicles (3 books) by Juliet Marillier

The Well of the Unicorn by Fletcher Pratt (really antiquated language, right up Tolkien's alley. Makes sense, since it's considered one of the founding fathers of modern fantasy)

Summers At Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn (female protagonist, but there's a king getting crowned at the end and a lot of intrigue)

And it's been mentioned before, but these authors I cannot reiterate enough: Terry Pratchett, and Patrick Rothfuss. I'd have added in Lev Grossman's Magician trilogy, but it's not exactly the level of epic that involves serious king-making; Guy Gavriel Kay also writes nice historical novels -- not enough fantasy in them to really scratch a fantasy-craving itch but still really great reads if you want a spectacular level of epic.

Edited by ponyyy, 16 May 2015 - 04:47 PM.

Alraisen

Alraisen

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 589 posts

Well, I'm reading a series of books, only available in spanish (~oh, the magnificent smell of lust~), named "El ciclo de la Luna Roja", which would stand for "The Red Moon's Cycle". I've encountered many downsides, which spoil the overall feeling of the book, but goddamn, it is fucking entertaining. So entertaining my reader's soul is coming to life again. 

I'm still writing my fantasy books... (after 1 year I only have 330 pages. I'm gonna get serious this summer, I promise ;-;).

Spoiler

Spoiler

Syri

Syri

Potato Spud

• Donator
  • 13 posts

Some of my favourites are:

The Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix. (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen and Clariel), a very good series, with an interesting magic system.

The Black Magician trilogy and The Traitor Spy trilogy by Trudi Canavan, another interesting magic system, and some well thought out events. The second trilogy is set 20 years later, with a lot of the same characters around, and a few new ones, so it gives a nice "what happened later" feel. There's also a prequel set way before the others, but I'd recommend to read it last, as it helps explain a few things, but might give things away if read first.

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. It's not got as much magic, but there's some in there, and a very interesting tale involving alternate realities, and the differences they could have.

The Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. Very unique magic system, and has some interesting twists to the story.