Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Fantasy as in: EPIC STORIES.

Lord Rings Wise Mans Fear Name Wind Eragon Fantasy Epic

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

nevernown

nevernown

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • Location-1x378DE022

Okay, so

A lot of people who read manga have read their share of fantasy.

what I want in this thread is to collect a huge list of Fantasy books that are in the league with Lord of the Rings.

Here's a list from me:

The Lord of the Rings saga.

The Eragon saga.

The Grey Hunter.

Kingslayer Saga (The name of The wind)

A game of Thrones < (not really good, he overdid it)

The Wizard saga (did I translate that right?)

I'll see what I forgot, I can remember more series, just not the names...

what about you guys?

Professional Titles, granted by forum-members: Hobbit, Wordsmith, Weirdo, Creep, Reachable Height, DJ, Bishie, Beautiful Poet, Professor, Dutchie-Boy, Writer, Pervy-Sage, Cookie, "Teia: Oh gosh", Geeky boy, Traitor, Stalker (more to be expected)

gkq0.png

Creativity
- Thoughts
- SoundCloud

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

I read 6 volumes of the Sword of Truth saga, I liked it. Maybe I'll read the other volumes one day, but I don't feel like it right now.

And a french novel, la Horde du Contrevent ( It doesn't seem to be translated, sorry ^^) is really great.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

MizuFlow

MizuFlow

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Seems we have similar tastes nevernown ;)

Agree with you on The Inheritance Cycle (Eragon) and The Kingkiller Chronicle (Name of the Wind) *Favourite*

Also adding:

The Belgariad and The Mallorean *Favourite, a classic, every fantasy fan must read them ;) *

Old Kingdom trilogy (Sabriel by Garth Nix)

Obernewtyn Chronicles 

Chronicles of Narnia

His Dark Materials

These are some of the best ones I've read that could be up to par with Lord of the Rings. I've not heard of the Sword of Truth but it looks quite good. I'm interested to see what others come up with too.

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

I also read the Night Angel trilogy, I liked it ^^

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

nevernown

nevernown

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • Location-1x378DE022

Old Kingdom trilogy (Sabriel by Garth Nix)

Sounds cool, I'ma check this one out!

Chronicles of Narnia

Night Angel trilogy,

Oh yes, I know these :)

I'm kind of wanting a sequel to the night angel one...

Professional Titles, granted by forum-members: Hobbit, Wordsmith, Weirdo, Creep, Reachable Height, DJ, Bishie, Beautiful Poet, Professor, Dutchie-Boy, Writer, Pervy-Sage, Cookie, "Teia: Oh gosh", Geeky boy, Traitor, Stalker (more to be expected)

gkq0.png

Creativity
- Thoughts
- SoundCloud

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

Oh but I thought it ended well ^^ I don't really remember it though x)

Also, something I read recently : The Fencer Trilogy.

Edited by Rol, 09 April 2013 - 05:56 PM.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

The Witcher Saga (plus short stories).

And something that my sis insists I should start reading already:

Gleams of Aeterna series by Вера Камша

This thread reminds me that I haven't been reading much lately...

Edited by OMGWTFBBQPONIES, 09 April 2013 - 08:05 PM.

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

You

You

Savage Potato

• Members
  • 3,262 posts
I thought the novel The Name of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss was quite epic. I'm putting off reading the second book though because ill have to re-read the first.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_9e1zrqkbvu8s

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,650 posts
  • LocationThe Comfy Chair
Guys, why isn't Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series been listed yet? Speaking of things I need to reread... I need to reread pretty much the whole series, then I can finally read the LAST ONE. There are fifteen books in that series, each at least 500 pages. x.x

I can't remember some of the actual series names at this point, but there are some more that I think are worthy of being in this list...:
The Discworld series, by Terry Pratchett. Hilarious, intelligent, and profound, and only get better later in the series. Though it's more like a collection of books than a series.
Saga of Recluce, Corean Chronicles, The Imager Portfolio; all by L. E. Modessit, Jr. You want realistic battled and wars? He's got 'em. It all checks out, in terms of logistics, economics, politics...some brilliant scheming here. The author's a former soldier; he knows his stuff.
The Mistborn Trilogy, by Brandon Sanderson. This is the guy that was chosen to finish the Wheel of Time series upon the death of Robert Jordan, and he did not disappoint. He tends to have very cool, original magic systems, and the world he built in his book, The Way of Kings (the first in his own giant series) really impressed me by having the the flora and fauna make sense evolutionarily based on the weather and climate of the planet.
Author: Robin McKinley. Truly a master of the mythical. Her books feel like fairy tales, almost. And they don't explain everything to you...some things you have to figure out yourself. One of my very very most favorites.

There are a lot of others, but these are the big ones. I may or may not stop by later and add more to this list.

Previous Avatars • Music for February 21...not picked out yet.

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

The real problems with all those series is that there are way too many books, how can I read them all ? T_T

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

Mistake

Mistake

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 658 posts

Robin Hobb's The Farseer Trilogy

This thread reminds me that I haven't been reading much lately...

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

The real problems with all those series is that there are way too many books, how can I read them all ? T_T

You start with the first one. Then you read the second.

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

You start with the first one. Then you read the second.

Oh that is clever, I never thought of it.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,650 posts
Well, yeah... But seriously though, you decide that the series is worth the time expenditure, so you get your hands on the books, and then you read them. Plus, for series like The Wheel of Time, you're not going to have to wait out the time between releases. You can binge the whole thing (and die afterwards, or something dramatic like that...it's a big series).

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

Yes but there are so many good series out there that are worth the "time expenditure"... And what I fear is that I will get sick of some series if I read too much of them in a short period, like with the Sword of Truth series, I read 6 volumes but then I didn't want to start the 7th, I had too much of it :/ (Also the note at the beginning of the books didn't make me willing to continue)

And also, but that's my problem, I have to "choose" between reading novels, reading mangas, watching animes/series, or playing games, I can't do all of them in my free time. And right now I'm more in a gaming period than in a reading one.

Anyway, @topic : It's not fantasy but it doesn't make it less epic in its own way, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

Black March

Black March

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts

Thera are many great fantasy stories as The Kingkiller Chronicle and Night Angel triology as you already have mention. Another great triology is The Tears of Artamon (Sarah Ash) and Tales of the Otori (Lian Hearn, five books).

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 613 posts
  • Location.-.

I really liked A Song of Ice and Fire up until the 4th  then IMO it started to decline(This is still my favourite series) ,  I haven't read a wheel of time and from what I've read I don't think I ever will , I abhorred the Inheritance cycle , ejoyed the kingkiller chronicle, even if I think the author is sexist and Kvothe is made to be too likeable to my tastes. I'm reading the witcher saga right now and greatly enjoying it . I liked the malazan book of the fallen (Cotillon ftw) and the first law trilogy.

I also greatly enjoyed a spanish book titled Memorias de Idhún by Laura Gallego

EndlessNight

EndlessNight

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 57 posts

Books

- Inheritance cycle 
- A Song of ice and fire(extremely over rated)
-Farseer trilogy
- The Night angel trilogy ( the ending sucked imo.)
- Kingkiller chronicles books 1 & 2 (amazing)
- The Broken Empire 1 & 2 the best books I've read but not for everyone

Ral

Ral

Russet Potato

• The Company
  • 290 posts

The Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett

ONeoRa is always looking for interesting people to join our ranks.
Visit our forum to apply: http://www.oneora.net
sig2small.png

Prophet

Prophet

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCity of Doors

Original Shannara Trilogy by Terry Brooks 

why is this series not on the list?? eh!?

it was the first work of fiction to ever appear on The New York Times trade paperback bestseller list.

• Jod likes this

"Our pasts may be scattered and at times overshadowed by sadness, but they´re also an irrevocable part of our lives and personalities. Even if I could change a single thing, I wouldn´t, because my past was what led me here."

~You have sung to me in my aloneness, and I of your longings have built a tower in the sky.

-Almustafa, The Prophet by Khalil Gibran