Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Much slower than before

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Baldulf

Baldulf

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts

I'm having very long load times lately. As of now I have to press F5 almost every time to properly see the next page

I'm using Firefox on Mac OS, is simply the server a bit overworked or is the problem on my side?

SquatRarityDeadliftTruck

SquatRarityDeadliftTruck

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 30 posts

I noticed that after the relaunch the site seems to load much slower than before; like roughly 6x longer (6 secs instead of 1 sec from before). This seems to only happen on Batoto; every other site I visit (reddit, wikipedia, random webcomics) loads at the same pace as always. This applies for every computer in my house, each of varying speeds and OS. I live in MD and use Comcast if that matters

Spoiler

mhh

mhh

Babo Kim

• Administrators
  • 3,754 posts

I noticed that after the relaunch the site seems to load much slower than before; like roughly 6x longer (6 secs instead of 1 sec from before). This seems to only happen on Batoto; every other site I visit (reddit, wikipedia, random webcomics) loads at the same pace as always. This applies for every computer in my house, each of varying speeds and OS. I live in MD and use Comcast if that matters

The same happens for me as well at irregular intervals. It seems to be the adds. I already told Grumpy, and he's trying to find a solution for it.

Seraphic Mist

Seraphic Mist

Russet Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 486 posts
  • LocationOtaku World

There may be an alternative reason for this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21954636

"The knock-on effect is hurting internet services globally"

"We've been under this cyber-attack for well over a week."

Just speculating here, since some of the servers hosting Batoto or perhaps the ads, may be the ones being DDos'd. Just my theory...

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!

You will have to be more specific. What page is loading slow for you? When does this occur? All the time? Occasionally? Does it hang after the page loads partially? 

The server load is much lower since the update. There's no reason for anyone (unless isolated network) to really be any slower.

Gallus

Gallus

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

The issue i am having at the moment is that the pictures don't load at all when using the european server. If i change to the US one, it works just fine.  Might be another issue than what was described by the others here though since i didn't notice a slowdown or other loading issues on the site.

I'm using firefox on windows by the way.

mhh

mhh

Babo Kim

• Administrators
  • 3,754 posts

The issue i am having at the moment is that the pictures don't load at all when using the european server. If i change to the US one, it works just fine.  Might be another issue than what was described by the others here though since i didn't notice a slowdown or other loading issues on the site.

I'm using firefox on windows by the way.

That's unrelated. But the European server is experiencing difficulties at the moment. Unless you manually change to it there shouldn't be a problem though. 

For the topic at hand: 

I'm not sure how I should describe it but for me it's most of the time, just how much slower it is is different.From a little slower than before to several seconds per page. On opera I can watch the items being loaded and there seems to be a little lag at the beginning and just before the adds are fully loaded.  

m24g

m24g

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Seems like it's a problem with batoto itself, not ads. It is not completely consistent, are you behind a load balancer? It seems to happen more often when I request a new page (every subsequent request is fast to that page). Perhaps a caching-proxy is mitigating a lot of the load time issues, but seriously a 6 second response time is insane. 

w4fjWMc.png

Also I seem to make on average of ~120 different HTTP requests per page I load. Most of it is ads, and that does not seem right at all.

Edited by m24g, 27 March 2013 - 08:24 PM.

Baldulf

Baldulf

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts

After cleaning the cookies from the browser it seems to run better. Pages don't load at incredible speed but at least I don't get stuck while loading.

antarctico

antarctico

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 51 posts

I believe the slow loading times are related to the new theme, more specifically, the option to change themes now found at the bottom of every page. I have also had slow load times since the change to the new theme, but I was able to find a kludge that seems to work for me. First off, I am running FireFox 19.0.2 on a PC and use the NoScript plug-in. My workaround is, at the main Batoto page I change to another theme, go back one page (if I get an "Access Denied" page) and refresh to see the new theme. When I do this I now see in NoScript's pop-up menu a Batoto.com domain that is normally not visible. After allowing the Batoto.com domain to run scripts, manga page loads are now normally fast. Just as a note, I always allow the Batoto.net domain to run scripts otherwise I can't use my arrow keys to navigate through manga.

Something seems to not be all the way right with the new theme and theme selection menu, possibly  in combination with the Batoto.com domain.

Daktyl

Daktyl

Discord King

• Contrib Mods
  • 825 posts
  • LocationMI, USA

I believe the slow loading times are related to the new theme, more specifically, the option to change themes now found at the bottom of every page. I have also had slow load times since the change to the new theme, but I was able to find a kludge that seems to work for me. First off, I am running FireFox 19.0.2 on a PC and use the NoScript plug-in. My workaround is, at the main Batoto page I change to another theme, go back one page (if I get an "Access Denied" page) and refresh to see the new theme. When I do this I now see in NoScript's pop-up menu a Batoto.com domain that is normally not visible. After allowing the Batoto.com domain to run scripts, manga page loads are now normally fast. Just as a note, I always allow the Batoto.net domain to run scripts otherwise I can't use my arrow keys to navigate through manga.

Something seems to not be all the way right with the new theme and theme selection menu, possibly  in combination with the Batoto.com domain.

The option to change themes has always been there, there was only one other theme at the time, though (IP.Board default).

I am 100% sure the slowness is not caused by the theme. Instead, I am 60% sure it's caused by a combination of the constant ad host change (plus some weird ad host code...) and Grumpy's customizations (the reader, etc) not being completely compatible with the latest IP.Board. Grumpy wrote them to work with 2.9 or whatever Batoto was running before, and a lot of things have changed between then and 3.4 so I'm guessing if he rewrites the reader to work alongside IP.Board 3.4, all will be great :)

Please note, however, that rewriting something of that scale and implementing it on a site this large is not an easy task, so please be easy on him ^.^

UPDATE: Okay, new input tells me it's probably more of a load-balance issue.

Edited by Daktyl198, 28 March 2013 - 09:19 AM.

My words are my own, and do not represent Batoto in any way, shape, or form unless otherwise stated in the post itself ^.^

annihilator

annihilator

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,035 posts
  • Locationnomad...

^^

there are times that the uploads are up to normal to fast uploads but most of the time, its slow as the speed stated above me, whether im reading manga or just browsing on the forums.

im not here to complain... just to report that i too, do experience the issue at hand.. :)

aja! ^^

...m y a l t e r e g o...

Posted Image

antarctico

antarctico

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 51 posts

The option to change themes has always been there, there was only one other theme at the time, though (IP.Board default).

I am 100% sure the slowness is not caused by the theme. Instead, I am 60% sure it's caused by a combination of the constant ad host change (plus some weird ad host code...) and Grumpy's customizations (the reader, etc) not being completely compatible with the latest IP.Board. Grumpy wrote them to work with 2.9 or whatever Batoto was running before, and a lot of things have changed between then and 3.4 so I'm guessing if he rewrites the reader to work alongside IP.Board 3.4, all will be great :)

Please note, however, that rewriting something of that scale and implementing it on a site this large is not an easy task, so please be easy on him ^.^

UPDATE: Okay, new input tells me it's probably more of a load-balance issue.

I agree that the slowness is not caused by the new themes themselves as, for me, selecting a different theme by itself makes no difference in load times. What did make a difference was allowing scripts to run coming from the Batoto.com domain, so I suspect that your idea of the slowness being caused by a load-balance issue is on the right track.

realtalkallday

realtalkallday

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts

I have load problems only when im reading the manga. When ever i try to change the page it takes around 7-9 seconds to load the next page. The rest of the site works fine for me.

Level 99 Hero

Level 99 Hero

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPhx AZ

Yea this is happing to me to the pages hang in there for a few seconds tell they load the next one it happens on my phones to and it does not matter if its data wifi or either net cable ( just putting it out there). The fourms seem to work fine its just when i click the manga page and try to turn (load the next page) page it stays on the page for 3-8 seconds before it changes.

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!

Let me know if you're still having this slow-ness issues.

Then I know the thing I fixed wasn't it. lol

Daktyl

Daktyl

Discord King

• Contrib Mods
  • 825 posts
  • LocationMI, USA

The slowness was fixed for me DAYS ago, so depending on "when" you fixed whatever you fixed, it might not have been that :P

My words are my own, and do not represent Batoto in any way, shape, or form unless otherwise stated in the post itself ^.^

mhh

mhh

Babo Kim

• Administrators
  • 3,754 posts

I still had it yesterday from time to time. I'll report back when I actually had time to read something.

EDIT: Yes, looks fixed to me, from what I can see and my firebug seems to agree.

Edited by mhh, 30 March 2013 - 11:12 AM.

annihilator

annihilator

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,035 posts
  • Locationnomad...

its fixed!! ^^ 

thankies!!  :batoto_008:

...m y a l t e r e g o...

Posted Image

Baldulf

Baldulf

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts

It's still bad for me. It has ups and downs depending of the day.

I'll give it a try with another browser.

Edit: I think the cause may be the ads, the may be stopping the pages from loading properly until I refresh and another ad is loaded.

Edited by Baldulf, 30 March 2013 - 11:57 PM.