Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Reused character design?

beelzebub

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Teekayoh

Teekayoh

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
So I started reading Beelzebub from the start again because I was bored. I came across a character in an early chapter that was familiar to another character in the last few chapters.

Chapter 2 - Page 20 : Junior Sanada Ryouichi
http://vatoto.com/read/_/106388/beelzebub_v1_ch2_by_binktopia/20

vs.

Chapter 190 - Page 15 : Nasu
http://vatoto.com/read/_/154608/beelzebub_ch190_by_red-hawk-scans/15

Same hair and sticking out a pierced tongue.. Anyone else see the obvious similarities?

Cricycle

Cricycle

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts
True, there are similarities, but I'll just add - you don't think its possible that there is more than 1 guy at a school full of delinquints that decides to get their tongue pierced?

Nihonomaruh

Nihonomaruh

Potato

• Members
  • 117 posts
i think Nasu is one of their long lost brother xD... ahahaha lol... seriously its okay to use same character design because its from the same manga lols...

will_of_fire_by_manga_wolf-d5qr0am_zps43

"My sin is my own existence."

Νεχ ποσσυμ τεχυμ ωιωερε, νεχ σινε τε.
Nec possum tecum vivere, nec sine te.
I can live neither with you, nor without you.

Nihil Sine Nefas
Nothing without a sin

psych0

psych0

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
^ That's far too simplistic to say.

Clearly, reuse of one's own character design hints a decline in either memory or creativity. Being the mangaka doesn't make it "okay" to be lacking in creativity.

Teekayoh

Teekayoh

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
@cricycle: Sure it's entirely reasonable but the similarities go beyond just the pierced tongue. Both characters seem to be based on the same source. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. It doesn't break any rules..

@psych0: I wasn't attacking the mangaka. The first use was a throwaway character that appeared on no more than 3 pages in chapter 2. It's understandable that he would not remember the character. I just thought it was humourous and worth noting.

shin10

shin10

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 21 posts
Honestly I'm surprised we haven't had more similar looking characters. It's quite the large cast and even background characters usually get some unique features. Certainly pretty impressive when compared to other mangaka who can only draw six faces.

Nice catch by the way. I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

Edited by shin10, 09 March 2013 - 04:57 AM.

Beelz

Beelz

Potato

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • LocationDah bu!

True, there are similarities, but I'll just add - you don't think its possible that there is more than 1 guy at a school full of delinquints that decides to get their tongue pierced?

Also its not like you can expect the mangaka to draw totally unique snow flakes for characters... he probably took inspiration for natsu from said early character..

Edited by Beelz, 14 March 2013 - 03:56 AM.

mrponeis

mrponeis

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 32 posts
If you take the color spreads and the anime... the Sanada Guy haf green hair...

If Nasu in a future issue happens to have green hair too, I will be forced to agree with this topic...

and Sanada somehow seems older too...

see ya
mr.poneis

XxLelouchxX

XxLelouchxX

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 13 posts

I disagree with you guys...

The hair doesn't seem that similar and basing that on a tongue piercing is just wrong!

You can find tons of differences and only one similarity, so I got no clue where did this conclusion of yours come from.

Sanada looks ugly and Nasu, well he's just a weirdo!

Terrorism is nothing but childish harassment…your enemies are not Britannians, but Britannia!
This is war and what you need is an army! - Lelouch Vi Britannia