Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Luffy's IQ

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Dragon88

Dragon88

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 519 posts

To me Luffy is a not intelligent but very wise.  He is not the study type of person.  He is not someone who would do good at school.  He doesn't think things logically in terms of say using statistics or science or remembering great history data or learning new language but he is wise in applying his knowledge.  He has great judgment and knows what to do and relies lot more in instinct.  He is very intuitive and uses his feelings to make great decisions and he is great at it but in terms of nomal things like of school or regular job work, he would be horrible at it.  He is a very creative person but in terms of normal mundane things that people are expected to know and be good at it, he is very bad at it,  Very unique type of personality and thinking process.  He is both an idiot and a genius.

Edited by Dragon88, 01 April 2015 - 12:19 AM.

diztrakted

diztrakted

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Hmm, looks like no one in this thread has actually taken an I.Q. test before (or didn't remember what was in it).

I.Q. tests cover a lot more than people give them credit for, though they of course have their weaknesses. One misconception is that they only measure one type of intelligence. This is untrue. In fact, there are two main groups and four subgroups of intelligence covered by the WAIS I.Q. test. If anyone's interested, click this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d2/Wechsler_Adult_Intelligence_Scale_subscores_and_subtests.png/650px-Wechsler_Adult_Intelligence_Scale_subscores_and_subtests.png. Anyway, I won't go into too much detail, but other than its inability to gauge social intellect and cultural biases in the knowledge portions of the test, the WAIS IQ can tell you a lot about how a person thinks.

Luffy... would have a lopsided score. In other words, Luffy would score highly on some parts of the test but do terribly on others. A lot of people here have said or hinted at this in one way or another, but let's break it down quickly here:

1. Verbal IQ - Verbal Comprehension: He'd do poorly. Especially his vocab and information tests would be a loss (he STILL doesn't know all the Shichibukai), but he'd do alright on comprehension.
  2. Verbal IQ - Working Memory: His worst sub-score. Arithmetic? Letter number sequencing? Remembering someone's name for more than 3 seconds? A dog would likely score higher in this category.
  3. Performance IQ - Perceptual Organization: His best sub-score. His strong visual reasoning are what make him able to spot attacks and hidden objects with ease. Might have a slight problem with matrix reasoning but would score very highly overall.
  4. Performance IQ - Processing Speed: Also strong. Might be hard to make him understand digit-symbol coding, but once does, he'll destroy it.

Overall score: ~100 but heavily skewed, very high performance IQ, very low verbal IQ. Luffy has a very fast moving mind with very little ability to retain non-visual information (faces, not names). Tack on a social IQ test (he'd do well but wouldn't ace it, tests don't measure charisma) and you have a good portrait of a nigh-illiterate force of nature.

Put Luffy in our world (sans powers)? Holy shit this kid would be on soooo much ritalin. He'd probably end up an Olympic wrestler or an MMA fighter. Or in prison.

PaterFrog

PaterFrog

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts

Hmm, looks like no one in this thread has actually taken an I.Q. test before (or didn't remember what was in it).

I.Q. tests cover a lot more than people give them credit for, though they of course have their weaknesses. One misconception is that they only measure one type of intelligence. This is untrue. In fact, there are two main groups and four subgroups of intelligence covered by the WAIS I.Q. test. If anyone's interested, click this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d2/Wechsler_Adult_Intelligence_Scale_subscores_and_subtests.png/650px-Wechsler_Adult_Intelligence_Scale_subscores_and_subtests.png. Anyway, I won't go into too much detail, but other than its inability to gauge social intellect and cultural biases in the knowledge portions of the test, the WAIS IQ can tell you a lot about how a person thinks.

Luffy... would have a lopsided score. In other words, Luffy would score highly on some parts of the test but do terribly on others. A lot of people here have said or hinted at this in one way or another, but let's break it down quickly here:

1. Verbal IQ - Verbal Comprehension: He'd do poorly. Especially his vocab and information tests would be a loss (he STILL doesn't know all the Shichibukai), but he'd do alright on comprehension.
  2. Verbal IQ - Working Memory: His worst sub-score. Arithmetic? Letter number sequencing? Remembering someone's name for more than 3 seconds? A dog would likely score higher in this category.
  3. Performance IQ - Perceptual Organization: His best sub-score. His strong visual reasoning are what make him able to spot attacks and hidden objects with ease. Might have a slight problem with matrix reasoning but would score very highly overall.
  4. Performance IQ - Processing Speed: Also strong. Might be hard to make him understand digit-symbol coding, but once does, he'll destroy it.

Overall score: ~100 but heavily skewed, very high performance IQ, very low verbal IQ. Luffy has a very fast moving mind with very little ability to retain non-visual information (faces, not names). Tack on a social IQ test (he'd do well but wouldn't ace it, tests don't measure charisma) and you have a good portrait of a nigh-illiterate force of nature.

Put Luffy in our world (sans powers)? Holy shit this kid would be on soooo much ritalin. He'd probably end up an Olympic wrestler or an MMA fighter. Or in prison.

Thanks for that, this post gives a lot of facts.

mbaruh

mbaruh

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts

To be fair he should be in prison in his own world, too. :P

Edited by mbaruh, 04 August 2015 - 01:29 AM.