Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Yes, MM is great, but OMK is better and here´s why

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

FakeHero

FakeHero

Potato

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationReality, sadly...........
First, I´m very fond of MM, no denying it. But MM is not going into my top 5 manga/doujin list. But Onani Master Kurosawa, a work by the same artist is on my number one top manga/doujin list. And there´s two simple reason to why, self esteem and a broken heart.

The MC in MM don´t like himself all that much and is ashamed of his hobbies. Meanwhile the MC in OMK is just simply badass.
You may try to point out that MM is more realistic in the portrayal of the MC, but actually that´s wrong. I can relate to the MC in OMK more than I can to the MC in MM. But I totally understand why people can relate to the MC in MM more, his your every day loner who just strayed a little far away from a normal social life. While both MC are like that and aware of it, the MC in OMK also have a good reason.

TL;DR
I´m trying to say that OMK is more deep (not trying to be a hipster) while MM is a lighthearted read. OMK deserves more readers.
http://vatoto.com/comic/_/comics/onani-master-kurosawa-r100

MM is great, OMK is a masterpiece though.

Thoughts?

Edited by FakeHero, 10 January 2013 - 08:21 PM.

DgAPc

DgAPc

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
First off Badass?

No way in shape or form was he considered badass. Unless you think its so cool to masterbate in a girls bathroom is considered cool. The manga didn't get intresting until he finally revealed what he did and tried to change himself.

I don't know where there is a broken heart in it. I didn't feal sorry for him at all. Good job for tring to change his ways but no where should u be broken hearted for him. Really for something like that in real life you would get suspended from school permenatly. Because what he did was pretty bad. It felt more hearth warming. Him continuing to change his ways even though he got crap about it is very hard to do in life. I didn't feal sorry for them making fun of him or messing around with him because he deserved it. But overtime he showed them he had changed and respected him for it. Who ever thought he would hook up with the bully girl at the end.

And he had no self esteem at all. He didn't care for himself at all. All he cared about was getting that relief in the girls bathroom. Only time he tried to build self esteem when he realized he needed friends from looking at the picture. Pretty much realized how pathetic he really was.

Someone that tries to hide what they do even though they try to convince themselves is ashamed of what they do. They do something so much convincing themselfs that they are not ashamed. OMK he doesn't want to get caught because deep down he was ashamed for what he did to others and the fun time he had in the bathroom:). He finally just realized it when he saw the picture.

Only thing someone can really relate about OMK is close to the ending when he changes his ways. but thats not towards the end. So I hope you don't go masterbating in the girls bathroom all the time if you relate to him:).

I don't see whats so deep about it ether. Once it hits close to the end its just your typical story where someone knows there wrong and try to change it. Nothing deep about that. Part of human life. Learn from your mistakes. Its just some people can write great stories about it better than others.

My opinion OMK doesn't even come close to MM.

FormX

FormX

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 31 posts

First, I´m very fond of MM, no denying it. But MM is not going into my top 5 manga/doujin list. But Onani Master Kurosawa, a work by the same artist is on my number one top manga/doujin list
TL;DR
Thoughts?

Ew.

Not as an offence to OMK, but to the opinoin that it's better than MM.
If you ask me though, they both don't make my top manga.

Edited by FormX, 15 January 2013 - 03:35 AM.

Some say there are no miracles.
Some say everything is a mircale.
I choose neither; I make my own miracles.

覇王

覇王

Potato Spud

• Validating
  • 18 posts
  • Locationおねいちゃんの腕の中に
I don't think that OMK is more deep than MM, although certainly it was deeper than the title would've led me to believe.

Umm, and as for which I prefer, I can't really say one is better than the other. Assuming they're both purely fiction (although MM could be real), I felt OMK was more moving.

As to why it was more moving to me, that's probably because I could relate to the MC of OMK better; he reminded me of the time when I was masturbating in the 2nd floor girl's bathroom, got caught and blackmailed, and eventually led onto a path of redemption.
「本は愛!本は喜び!本は感動!」

wilsonyu343

wilsonyu343

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 30 posts
I still don't get it, why the fuck would you masturbate in the girls restroom when you could have done it the freaken boys restroom. But hey I don't know about any of you but I think the most convenient place to do it is at your own room. Anywhere else its asking for trouble.

Similar-man

Similar-man

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 33 posts

I still don't get it, why the fuck would you masturbate in the girls restroom when you could have done it the freaken boys restroom. But hey I don't know about any of you but I think the most convenient place to do it is at your own room. Anywhere else its asking for trouble.

I can relate to that... I mean, I was always like "wtf ? you love masturbating in the girls restroom, that's your trip, I'm cool with it, but you can't masturbate at home ? in your own room ? wtf man ?". So yea, if you really can't help it, just fap at home.

Other that that, I'm guessing the guy just likes the odor(maybe ?) and the atmosphere, the feeling of vice. It creeps me to say that because of my own life's experience, but it's kind of like incest, or exhibitionism. From my point of view, they all come from stimulating your brain more than usual with the "this isn't right, or is it?" thoughts.

But to get back on subject, both OMK and MM are pretty realistic and with a solid pacing of the story-telling. While MM was kind of like a roller-coaster of emotions, OMK strikes early on with an unusual premise. I'd say MM was more balanced, seeing as I kind of got bored at some point in OMK but then got hooked again pretty quickly. Overall I think my favorite is OMK. mostly because of two reasons.
1- the drawings. I didn't hate MM's drawings, au contraire, but they sure as hell aren't better than OMK's
2- The MC in OMK grows more. I know this one is about as useless as the first reason but I really love both those manga so I'm just pointing out, if there is ever a need for ranks, which one I think should get better ranking and why.

Here's my take on it, and yea, I too thought OMK was pretty badass :D

Edited by Sighing, 03 February 2013 - 02:32 AM.

助けるよ
あたりまえだろう

Christopher Lee

Christopher Lee

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
http://img.batoto.net/comics/o/onani-master-kurosawa/22/hidoi-translators/English/read4d796e6b4caef/k482.png

Deep indeed.

Strafe

Strafe

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 40 posts
Gotta say, I really like MM but OMK takes the cake by a slim margin.

rockingoldensamurai

rockingoldensamurai

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts
I do not, in any capacity, believe that the MC of OMK is 'badass'. Urban Dict has it as "The epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does" and they are "an uncommon man of supreme style." Don't really like these cause they're to gender specific. For a much more detailed definition i think TVTropes is a good source -http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Badass. In no way does the MC of OMK fulfill any requirement of the title Badass.

I Also do not think OMK was 'deeper' than MM. I think they both had equally deep themes with similarities and differences in those themes, but still equally profound. I disagree with your thoughts on this but it is different for everybody.

Holybaptiser

Holybaptiser

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

I personally like Onani Master Kurosawa a lot more than I like Molester Man. I do like Molester Man, and I was very happy to see another work of Yoko get picked up and scanlated, but regardless, I still like Onani Master Kurosawa a lot more. I don't necessarily relate to Kurosawa because of his characterization or his actions, rather than the way he was developed far better than MM, and became more believable. You could literally see every little thing about his deluded sense of righteousness and his ego-maniacal behavior from the early chapters, when he decided to attack Sugawa, to the things that that made him more human, like refusing to soil certain people when Kitahara demanded him to. It was like an inner struggle of a adolescent trying to understand what's right and what's wrong.

When I look around the forums of various websites, I find that most people don't realize that Onani Master Kurosawa is a satire on the hikikomori lifestyle that uses masturbation in the girl's washroom as a metaphor for alienation of self from society, or that the relationship between Nagoaka and Takigawa was designed as the ultimate "fuck you" to get the point across to the hikikomori about how they can sit along and fantasize all day about their dreams and aspirations, but while they're doing so, there are people who are actually trying to achieve them and will probably achieve them before they even try to. I think OMK was deep and filled with symbolism with symbolic side characters like Kitahara representing Stagnancy, Nagoaka representing Friendship, etc. Whereas, I feel that Molester Man was a well written romantic roller coaster. I like both series quite a lot, but OMK takes the cake for me.  

Edit - I also don't think it's fair to either series to try to compare the two. MM is a romance, drama and comedy manga, and Onani Master Kurosawa is a seinen slice of life, coming of age story (obviously a drama), which is not a romance manga. The romance in OMK was only there to shape and mold the MC, whereas the romance in MM was its main focus. OMK's chapter 31 (Sugawa x Kurosawa) was  not even a part of the main story, it was just an extra chapter to give off a happy, warm feeling to the manga, even though Sugawa was already a symbolic character beforehand. 

Edited by Holybaptiser, 20 March 2013 - 05:43 PM.

albedo1`

albedo1`

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

OMK is a better story, but MM is far more realistic of the two.  Who knows, maybe it is a true story after all.  It seems I always meet women in serendipitous encounters, so maybe that is why I feel that way.  Take your pick in terms of what you look for in a manga.

naren

naren

Potato

• Contributor
  • 187 posts

both are awesome manga!!they are nothing like other shitty manga cares only for art.

mm is awesome and Omk is better than mm

Spoiler