Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Socio-Political Aspects of This Story Actually Happening

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

PervySageChuck

PervySageChuck

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 638 posts
  • LocationMonitoring my network of hidden cameras in your bedrooms and bathrooms!
I realize that this is something that the author probably won't explore, but...

Has anybody considered the point that with all the high school kids that died during the trials prior to the end of part one, there is going to be a serious decline in future birthrates, leading to a possible collapse of retiree benefit programs when there are not enough younger workers to support the funding of those programs?

This is something that a lot of developed countries are worried about right now. Especially since the granting of equal rights to women has had this type of effect on national birthrate decline since many women now focus more of their attention on careers and less on raising a family.

Edited by PervySageChuck, 10 January 2013 - 02:54 AM.

Always yield to temptation, it may not come your way again!

Thank you for your attention.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled manga, already in progress.

vinceled

vinceled

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 41 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan
Well, seeing as this happens in every country I guess it kind of announces the end of the Human race... I thought about it at the beginning but no more than that...

PervySageChuck

PervySageChuck

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 638 posts
  • LocationMonitoring my network of hidden cameras in your bedrooms and bathrooms!
Hmmm...

I think that the only solution to this declining birthrate problem is to return women to their second-class status and put ME in charge of impregnating as many of them as possible!

Spoiler

Although I can actually see the possibility of women becoming oppressed once again to bolster faltering national birthrates. Or maybe countries first offering some kind of financial incentive, but if that doesn't work... Sharia Law could sweep the world!!

Yuusha OtakUub

Yuusha OtakUub

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 22 posts
The effects wouldn't be completely catastrophic. With all the people killed during part 1 (I haven't gotten to part 2 yet) there's only a 3-4 year generation gap. While it would bring immediate consequences for the next decade or so it would remedy itself within another decade or two, assuming birthrates equalize if not increase because of such an event afterwords.
But that's just my opinion.

PervySageChuck

PervySageChuck

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 638 posts

Since over 99.9% of the world's kids from grades 7-12 were killed during the various games in this series, I believe that would make it a 6 year generation gap which would have a much more serious effect on society.  Either taxes would have to be raised drastically from the remaining workers in the population in order to continue paying health and retirement benefits to older citizens or those benefits would have to be drastically cut.  And both of those solutions would result in politicians getting thrown out of office along with the civil unrest that we saw recently in countries like Greece when the government could no longer afford their extravagant spending habits.

Of course, they could just do what politicians have done in the past and are doing right now in many countries by simply printing more money in order to keep buying votes, but that will eventually lead to hyper-inflation and the collapse of a country's currency as happened to Zimbabwe recently and to Germany back in the 1930s.

Why do people NEVER learn from history!? 

imercenary

imercenary

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 52 posts

Yes, but mostly no. In a morbid way, this has already been documented in the form of WWI and/or WWII.

While the death of a large chunk of the age population will hinder population growth, the truth of matter is that it doesn't really matter. WWI and WWII took out a huge chunk of 18~24 year old male adults either due to death, injury or simply kept them busy/deployed over the course of 3~14+ years (3 if you lived/fought for USA, 14 if you lived/fought in Manuchuria). Even longer if said soldier was stationed overseas as part of the post-war occupation/reconstruction.

And guess what? Birth rates were fine/skyrocketed.

People ain't stupid. When death is hanging over your head, the last thing you care about is going to jail for statutory rape. Whats the worst they can do to you? Throw you in jail? Thats a 'get out of the military/combat-free' card! Quick! Wheres the nearest elementary school!? Death sentence? Chances are you were going to die anyway, so who gives a fuck whether you die by hanging or mutilated by an enemy explosive?

PervySageChuck

PervySageChuck

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 638 posts

Imercenary, you have a point except for one thing...   This story line doesn't have whole world at war in it, merely the world-wide mass death of an age group on the order of about 99.999%, which is far worse than that of WWI or WWII.  It also involves the death of both men AND women on that huge scale, so whereas in both world wars, there were still plenty of women available to build the population back up, in this case, those women wouldn't be there.  Plus, In both of those wars, most governments of the world didn't have the massive social welfare system in place that exists today and that today's populations have come to depend on and feel entitled to, even though it is not a sustainable system in the long run, as many European countries have or are coming to realize and even now threatens to destroy the USA economically.

And I am not saying that future birthrates would not return in huge numbers, I am merely suggesting that the short term loss of almost an entire age group of this size would have drastic economic effects that could easily topple governments and/or lead to massive world-wide rioting.  This could lead to more totalitarian governments springing up as those in power would be forced to use their military to quell these riots with the increasing use of deadly force against their own citizens.  After all, it is a historical fact that those in power NEVER give that power up easily!!  Look at what's happening in countries like Egypt and Syria today or the MILLIONS of people that Mao Tse Tung in China or Stalin in the USSR killed to maintain their own power.

Edited by PervySageChuck, 29 August 2013 - 09:20 PM.

clamzoopa

clamzoopa

Potato

• Members
  • 164 posts

Honestly, with that age group, they're not really contributing to the economy or retirement benefits for the elderly so there is time to prepare for the drop-off in contributions.  I would imagine, as has been the trend over the last 30 or so years, people are going to have to fund their own retirement.  I don't know about you, but most people my age don't epect to receive any money form Social Security as that's what we've been told since we were children.

Also, you reference guys that haven't been in power in over 40 years.  Yeah, Egypt and Syria may be totalitarian, but for the larger countries, that just doesn't fly these days.  I think you're estimation of the drastic changes are overblown.  You have to admit, you kinda hit the panic button, "...would have drastic economic effects that could easily topple governments and/or lead to massive world-wide rioting.  This could lead to more totalitarian governments springing up as those in power would be forced to use their military to quell these riots with the increasing use of deadly force against their own citizens."  I can guarantee there is no way the people of the United States would allow a totalitarian government attacking its citizens to occur "easily".  It's the basis behind the 2nd Amendment.

Edited by clamzoopa, 22 November 2013 - 09:42 PM.

PervySageChuck

PervySageChuck

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 638 posts

Ah...  But even here in the USA, the government has been whittling away at the bill of rights for decades.  And now, with the revelation of the NSA's massive spying on ordinary citizens, not to mention the persecution by various government agencies of groups trying to advocate the limiting of big government, along with the recent power grabs by the senate and the actions of our president in sidestepping the legislative process by using "Executive Orders", we are already on the path to a totalitarian government.  I have feared this for a long time, but I honestly did not see this happening in my own lifetime.  I thought that this would happen sometime twenty to forty years from now, but it scares the shit out of me to see these things happening right now.  I thought that the politicians would keep on kicking our countries problems down the road for a lot longer, but apparently, they are starting to take pre-emptive actions right now to solidify their power in the face of the approaching economic collapse.  I can easily see the possibility of martial law being declared and the suspension of all elections by our leaders in order to "Solve the serious problems facing us."  It has been done before in other countries throughout history and it could very well happen here.  I fear that the only way to prevent it will be a truly bloody revolution by the masses.

Gravewolf

Gravewolf

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts

The only solution to Japan's declining birthrate is to send me and Pervysage to Japan.......I challenge Pervy to how many women we can impregnate!

Kage Tsukai

Kage Tsukai

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

Don't you understand ?

To raise the birth rate, put the sexual majority at 13 and in 10 years we'll be 1 trillion.

StoneDeathGaze

StoneDeathGaze

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts
I am 29 years old and i seriously don't believe in retirement funds. In this age of an endless economical crisis you can only count on the money you will be able to save up. Plus the older generations are responsible for the ecological catastrophies, cult of money etc. Our children will blame us for those sins because the ones i mentioned above will be already dead leaving us in a post ecological holocaust. So no i am not worried that in every country the birthrates are dropping. The less humans the better.

gg Dr. Boom