Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

ToG Ch39 Pre-release

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!
http://img.grumpylan...12_IMAG01_1.jpg
http://img.grumpylan...12_IMAG01_2.jpg
http://img.grumpylan...12_IMAG01_3.jpg

Yup, only 3 pictures... 3 long pictures...

Short version: Here's tog pre-release.

Long version: We've always worked with a self-imposed deadline of about now to release the tower of god. It's a weekly series and we'd like to get it out weekly. Simple idea, not such simple execution. Regardless whether it's short comic or long comic, a weekly series really means that you get absolutely no vacation and you must always dedicate work into it every week regardless of any situation. And when it actually is a long series, well, it's just a huge amount of dedication required. But, we all know that's not really realistic. Even real jobs gets to call in sick days and gives vacations. Also, unlike the actual authors, we can't even work ahead of time.

So, as the unfortunate reality kicks in, we've made pre-releases before. Last time, it was due to semp being sick, and now it's because noco's overloaded. The series used to be cleaned by Nura, but he eventually got swamped with too much school work and noco took over. Now, it's time for the opposite and here is another pre-release. It's a sort of a sneak peak at our unfinished work, but we know that there's a lot of ppl who really want to see it by now. So, here it is. From now on, we'll be dedicating two cleaners for ToG so that they can cover each other's backs in times of difficulty.

I hope you guys enjoy it. As usual, please don't spread the pre-release. We'll try to get the regular release out asap. And yes, it's watermarked like hell... b/c it's pre-release. :P It won't be there for final.

semperspes

semperspes

Russet Potato

• The Company
  • 454 posts
i'm puzzled, isn't it usually tomorrow that we release? o-O Xtreme Daylight Savings?
Posted Image

Pasteduck

Pasteduck

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 697 posts
I don't know about the rest of the people on this board but I do look forward every week to Tower of God. Thank you very much for taking time out of your schedule to do this.

Mama Smurf

Mama Smurf

Potato Spud

• tC Donator
  • 35 posts
  • LocationI'm Here
I like the watermark... It adds character. :)

You guys are awesome! Thank you for working so hard. I can't imagine the dedication it takes to keep everything up. I hope you know you are appreciated!! :)

baam99

baam99

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 390 posts
Thanks you for the pre-release of ToG 39. :)

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts

i'm puzzled, isn't it usually tomorrow that we release? o-O Xtreme Daylight Savings?

lol, for the last couple weeks, you've only had 12 hr span to actually get the work done from avl time. So, I didn't want to constantly pressure you to work with small wiggle room. Though, would still be appreciated. xD

dot0070

dot0070

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
What a nice surprise =]

not the final copy, but just as nice!! Thank you ^^

Chaos

Chaos

Potato

• Members
  • 112 posts
I am very thankful for the dedication you guys put in every week for this awesome series and I think its a nice idea to put 2 cleaners to lessen the workload on each of them >.< Having that self-imposed deadline seems pretty harsh on yourselves since it feel like a repeating chore you must do every week.

Although I noticed a small typo in the second page where ship leesoo says "I am you friend standing beside you right now" on the second page but I'm sure this'll be fixed on the actual release version after semp qcs this ;)

Dr. Hiluluk

Dr. Hiluluk

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationHawaii
I loved it all, noticed the typo too but I only have one complaint of Grumpy, and it is a pretty big one, possibly game changing. That you got rid of your cute girl avatar and have a flame farting dinosaur. Other than that I am happy to get what I get, beggars certainly can be but by all means should not be choosers.
"Pirates are evil!!? The Marines are righteous!!? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history...!!! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values!!! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground!!! Justice will prevail, you say!? But of course it will!!! Whoever wins this war...becomes justice!!!"

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts

I loved it all, noticed the typo too but I only have one complaint of Grumpy, and it is a pretty big one, possibly game changing. That you got rid of your cute girl avatar and have a flame farting dinosaur. Other than that I am happy to get what I get, beggars certainly can be but by all means should not be choosers.

lol
off topic, but I had that avatar for quite a while... and got roughly 100PMs asking where that avatar is from. xD So much that I put where it's from in my sig on couple forums. No more!!! :lol:

Tammy

Tammy

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 235 posts
Thanks Grumpy! You're so awesome!

baam99

baam99

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 390 posts
The Company does great work.

Spoiler

Angryfan1

Angryfan1

Potato

• Members
  • 139 posts
grumpster after reading why tog was late and how u cant work ahead I am wondering why haven't your asked the author for a pre-release of tog so u can actually work ahead or have u already asked?
...Don't ban me again.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

I am wondering why haven't your asked the author

Because if he brought attention to the fact that he's scanlating the webtoon, the author would most likely ask for the scanlations to stop. :\

Webtoon authors have a contract for their work to be distributed Exclusively via Naver, so scanlations are actually a breech of contract / illegal. Several webtoon artists, like the one for Pink Lady and more recently Cheese in the Trap (a favourite of mine) have specifically asked the scanlation groups to stop (which they did).

Most just turn a blind eye, but they won't if you confront them about it. At least one scanlation group for The Breaker stopped because some other nutjob (not from their group) asked for the permission to scanlate the work, and well, the author broke down and said that he's just trying hard to make an honest living and that if people are pirating his work in other languages he'd rather not know so could they please stop?

Besides that, asking for a webtoon pre-release is a bit silly. This is a webtoon, not a printed comic where the copies are shipped to stores a few days in advance. There is no pre-release. Webtoon artists are probably working until the last minute, which probably accounts for why they're sometimes several minutes to several hours late. >.>

As for trying to find a common ground like Naver hosting the scanlation, well the scanlation group for Cheese in the Trap has tried to negotiate possibilities for months now, with no results so far.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

Angryfan1

Angryfan1

Potato

• Members
  • 139 posts
Wow I new none of that I thought if u pay for the services of naver u would get special treatment
...Don't ban me again.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
Ah, you probably don't know how webtoons work. ^^ Yuko1909, the previous translator for Cheese in the Trap, explained the webtoon system here.

Let me explain the webtoon system a bit.
In Naver (which where I read most of my webtoons), there are 3 main catagories: 1) 도전 만화 Challenge Manhwa; 2) 베스토 도전 Best Challenge; 3) 웹툰 Webtoon
1) Challenge Manhwa is for anybody. Anyone from any skill can post their webtoons up here. Most of the people are just people doing this for fun. Some are very serious about this and are amateurs with very good skill. After a while, if a Challege manhwa webtoon starts to gain popularity, it moves up to Best Challenge.
2) Best Challenge is the cream of the crop of the Challenge Manhwa webtoons. These people have been selected by Naver and promoted depending on their populairty and quality of their webtoons. If a Best Challenge webtoon has been extremely popular and has great quality, Naver will promote them to Webtoon.
3) Webtoon is the best of the best. This is where they are actually paid. They become full-time professional webtoon artists and they are paid for their work. The more popular webtoons are paid more. When a best challenge webtoon moves up to this catagorey, they have to start all over. To improve the quality of the webtoon, all the artists are required to revise their work.
-This is the basic pattern amateur artists have to go through, but if the artist is a professional or has already been published as a webtoon artist, they may be excluded from this process.

Some series that made it from challenge manhwa to the webtoon page: Pink Lady, Cheese in the Trap, Song of the Cloud, Noblesse, etc.
Some series that do not have to go through this process: Annarasumanara's author is a professional artist and has had one of his series on Naver webtoon's before. Thus, he does not have to prove his skills again.
Nineteen, Twenty-one's author and artist made it all the way to webtoons with Pet Diary a few years ago. So, they do not have to go through the whole process.
Botox's Hwang Mi Ri is a very famous professional manhwa artist. She's considered one of the most legendary of Korean shoujo manhwas (one of the earliest Korea shoujo artists to get published in Japan), and so she does not have to go through the whole process.

Depending on star ranking and hits, the pay for the author's differ. So, to show your support for your favorite series, please visit the webtoon page of the series and increase their hit number!

In case you didn't get it, Naver is the site where Tower of God is diffused. It has nothing to do with Batoto. The special services donaters to Grumpyland/Batoto get have nothing to do with Naver. When a series reaches Webtoon status, Naver starts paying the author. In exchange, Naver owns all diffusion rights, which means English scanlations are also technically illegal.

As I said, as long as nobody brings it up, most webtoon artists turn a blind eye. They get paid according to how many page hits they have, but English readers can't read Korean anyway. But, most of them still feel bad about it when confronted about it. It's like you're making a product and selling them in your home country, and you learn that somebody is giving it away for free in some other country (or in some cases, making money off it). Webtoon authors aren't paid That much and have very harsh working schedules, so not all of them are happy about the fact (as with the case of the author of The Breaker. As I said, he reacted Very badly when a scanlator wannabe approached him).

Incidentally, Daum (which hosts series such as Metronome and is Naver's competitor) has a similar system.

Now, I don't think a scanlation is all bad. For a number of manga, Western readers would never have learned about them if it weren't for scanlations, so the author ended up benefiting when the series then got licensed overseas. For webtoons, English scanlations drives English readers to look at the Korean raws (even if they don't understand much), thus also driving up page hits. Some webtoons also eventually get printed versions, as was the case with Trace. In that case, it may be possible for the series to eventually get licensed overseas if there's enough overseas demand for it.

Still, most webtoon artists would rather not think about it. If they explicitely encouraged scanlations, it'd be a breach of contract with Naver/Daum too.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

Blue December

Blue December

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationWonderland
thank all of y.ou for your hard work. :)
I agree with you that everybody deserves a litte time for their own.

Angryfan1

Angryfan1

Potato

• Members
  • 139 posts
Oh that answers all my questions and more
...Don't ban me again.