Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Discussion on Setting: Female Dominated Society?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Ibizen Thoth

Ibizen Thoth

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.
Well, one of the more interesting topics this manga brings up is whether or not female dominated/matriarchal societies can exist or not. As I saw some discussion in the comments below the series, I thought it would be best to create a thread that would help to tidy everything by segregating this discussion of female lead society, from the discussion of the series itself. As the possibility of matriarchal society is not the same thing as whether or not this manga is any good, it is an important distinction to make. As such, let us leave the bottom comments to discuss the overall quality of the manga, and this forum as a place to discuss one of its core tenets, the female dominated society.

TL;DR Post all your opinions about what you think of FemDom Societies and stuff...

I was going to post my own opinion on this subject, but I thought it best to keep the original posting comment as light of words as possible.

Baka~Yuri

Baka~Yuri

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationBed~~
Well I certainly don't like Femdom hentai that's for sure. I am not sure how I feel about it in a normal manga. I guess it's fine with me if the male is being dominated becuase he love the female and doesn't mind about it. Also, the female has to have a soft side which she would show from time to time. With this two factor, I am fine with Femdom.
Posted Image

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato
Hahaha!!! I'm not sure "FemDom" is really the best way to phrase it........I'd say that particular term has quite a different connotation than just the topic you want to discuss. :D

I personally don't see anything "unrealistic" at all about the concept of a female dominated society.......for that matter it's arguable that the concept or belief of a "male dominated society" isn't really that accurate in the first place. Certainly in most of the more technologically advanced countries there are plenty of very influential female figures in business and leadership roles and have been for many years now.

The one thing that originally gave me pause with this title wasn't the female dominated society but the gender based abuses it initially depicted............of course I don't dig "serious" stories that show slavery and violent sexual domination all that much, whichever gender happens to be "on top". Hentai, i.e. "Femdom" is a topic for another thread. xD

Tn7HA0h.png

GreenDrag

GreenDrag

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationOn the wall that held back the hordes of infidels invading Europe.

Societies dominated by women, due to the nature of human developement, won't form naturally. I think it has to do with how it was the men, who died first, if a decision made went wrong, that the decisions were primarily left to men (that's of course from back in the days when we had to actively clash with the beasts of the wild), and that caught on as a tradition, and remained in the times, when the biggest threat to a human's well being was another human being.

And a major difference is, that in this society ruled by women, men are treated as little more than trash, whilst in classic patriachies, women were traded as commodities. Highly valuable ones.

texasrenger

texasrenger

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts

well i can light to you with some knowledge , in history channel , some other media and some anthropologist said that the first form of society was based in the  matriarchal system but in the early ages when battles and wars begining to grow up the system change for the system that we know

example; the BRITANIAN were lead by a women against the roman i don't remember well but you can see a movie with that ,so the manga is not so unrealistic and who don't know about the queen of UK,

so if the humanity were more diplomatic the things would be different nowadays.

maybe we wish for a book tipe hunger games with women leading the society but hey be happy we have a manga now.    

rozzak

rozzak

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

Oooku does it better. There's all a bunch of stuff like "I love you, but you can't have children so I'm gonna need to fuck all these other guys. But don't worry, I'll only be thinking of you." and they don't seem to think anything of it (contrast with the "oh my wife can't conceive better fuck all these concubines, why you mad at me lol?" of actual historical Japan). Actually that shit happens to the same guy 2-3 times. Once with the empress and again with the new empress (empress' daughter). He's about to leave the inner chamber because he can't take that shit anymore and the daughter comes up and is like "I've always been in love with you, please stay while I have children with other men".  

Thankfully he's like "fuck that shit" and becomes a respected monk (aka female equivalent of joining a convent).

The only thing I hated about Oooku (because it broke my suspension of disbelief) was that despite a "female dominated society", the military infantry was all men. Which makes no sense, because if disenfranchised peoples controls the brunt of the military, there's no way they're gonna stay a disenfranchised people for long. The patriarchy stems from the military. Being culturally and politically "in power" is the checksum of being militarily "in power". 

tohukyo

tohukyo

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts

well the matriarchy that exists in this manga is one that stands to oppress 50% of the population. To me it just seems like a switch of gender in a overly simplified way of speaking. The patriarchy that exists today is dominant but in no way does its existence necessarily mean it "works." This might be too simplistic but a matter of patriarchy existing today seems to mean that people have settled into this tradition of passing on leadership and society has been shaped by this type of ruling that favors one gender over the other. As humans can think and rationalize, I'm sure a matriarchal society could exist without this type of gender oppression. Part of the issue to me is that with our society being highly patriarchal, a matriarchal society that forms today would be based on the existing patriarchal structures. What I'm trying to say with my previous statement is that formation today would be based on "what doesn't work in this patriarchy now." I cant imagine how a matriarchy would build itself into a society without drawing from the patriarchal structures of today and in the end would quite resemble patriarchy but with women in charge. It's definitely not something that is done overnight. 

Also a bit random but I read a manga where no men were left. The women were then controlling society yet subjected themselves to a patriarchal structure in which women were split into gender roles of masculinity and femininity. While an interesting concept of post apocalypse, it's quite off putting as it demonstrates the legacy of patriarchy with masculine roles still being in leadership. How about less focus on gender/sex? A naive utopian though =l

Edited by tohukyo, 18 September 2016 - 09:24 AM.