Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Does this deserve a tragedy tag?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Rachnee

Rachnee

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 92 posts
I was wondering, since whenever the story gets really serious, usually something tragic happens..but i'm not sure if the comedy in it outweighs the need for a tragedy tag. But I mean this picture:
Spoiler

Makes me wonder whether I should put a tragedy tag on this. What do you guys think?

Ghost213

Ghost213

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
the "tragedy" tag is may not be needed because it is not a main theme in the manga, even though it shows some tragedies;Ikaros-uncomprehending and unable to display certain emotions, Nymph-.beaten and abused, Astraea-forced to kill her sister Nymph, etc.
Take "Ah! My Goddess" for example; It tells about a college student who is living in a house(temple) with three goddesses, and interacted with even more girls. To a typical person it would be considered as a harem manga, but it's not because it"s not the main theme of the manga.

Edited by Ghost213, 26 December 2012 - 10:10 AM.

Guest_KarchAmadeo_von_Kartoffel

Guest_KarchAmadeo_von_Kartoffel
  • Guests
Until it befalls a main character, no. However the next 5 chapters will determine so.

Leoh

Leoh

Potato

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUranus

Until it befalls a main character, no. However the next 5 chapters will determine so.

How so?

425q4sD.png

M o r s     R e g i s 

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationLatvia

if you want SUPER spoiler look up ch71 raw but be warned!

sarahitagi

sarahitagi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

In the upcoming chapters the tragedy is 100% warranted.  end of discussion.

yariel

yariel

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

another tragedy material ...

Akame ga Kill and Messiah-sama ...

Muv-Luv series, etc ...

anyone who said otherwise just get debate in that manga forum ...

the "tragedy" tag is may not be needed because it is not a main theme in the manga, even though it shows some tragedies;Ikaros-uncomprehending and unable to display certain emotions, Nymph-.beaten and abused, Astraea-forced to kill her sister Nymph, etc.
Take "Ah! My Goddess" for example; It tells about a college student who is living in a house(temple) with three goddesses, and interacted with even more girls. To a typical person it would be considered as a harem manga, but it's not because it"s not the main theme of the manga.

IMO, tragedy usually being happen if one of character with solid existence get killed ...

solid existence is :

- not newbies (new character) only to be sacrificed soon ...

- already appear for quite a length of chapter (5 - 10+)

- quite close to MC ...

- more importantly, mangaka tried to caught reader heart for that character ...

(in this case, Hiyori already fit description)

in case you think it's not main focus in this manga ...

you are between correct and wrong ...

they use major ecchi to make a lot of reader first (new manga get the best sell when they have ecchi-comedy), but latter ...

it swing to the point of tragedy ... first it's a light one ... and getting heavier as it's progress ...

(kinda strategy for marketing and netting as much reader as possible)

did you mean, his friend get killed ? happen for harpy sister ...

if one of his harem member ... already happen in ch 69 ...

and if you mean fatally wounded to the point of death ...

Spoiler

Edited by yariel, 05 May 2013 - 05:40 PM.

acolyte

acolyte

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts

ch70 deserves a tragedy tag.

yariel

yariel

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

the tag should already appear since Harpy sisters goes dead ...

but some stubborn still rejecting it ...

captainotaku

captainotaku

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
Having read ch70 and ( a questionable/rough ) ch71...yeah gonna say tragedy tag is a safe bet.

yariel

yariel

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

ch 70 already tragedy ...

considering how much reaction from reader to that chapter ...

it's absolutely a must tag ... ch 71 is to solidify it ...

Rakurai Amatsu

Rakurai Amatsu

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • LocationAustralia

the tag should already appear since Harpy sisters goes dead ...

but some stubborn still rejecting it ...

only for the fact that a main character was killed, though Harpy sisters wouldn't be a tragedy tag as the mangaka was probably killing off(literally) extras that were no longer needed for story. though after reading chapter 70 I would say it needs it

yariel

yariel

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

only for the fact that a main character was killed, though Harpy sisters wouldn't be a tragedy tag as the mangaka was probably killing off(literally) extras that were no longer needed for story. though after reading chapter 70 I would say it needs it

try to read Akame ga Kill ...

it doesn't have to be Main Character getting killed to grant "tragedy" tag ...

logically thinking, "tragedy" tag being used in manga which having tragic event ...

in Sora no Otoshimono, we just being tricked by all ecchi, comedy and side plot ...

without any of it, the main story is quite heavy ...

(just try to read from beginning while skipping all filler arc)

Edited by yariel, 14 May 2013 - 01:03 PM.

damienthedevil

damienthedevil

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationBorder of Gensokyo

try to read Akame ga Kill ...

it doesn't have to be Main Character getting killed to grant "tragedy" tag ...

logically thinking, "tragedy" tag being used in manga which having tragic event ...

in Sora no Otoshimono, we just being tricked by all ecchi, comedy and side plot ...

without any of it, the main story is quite heavy ...

(just try to read from beginning while skipping all filler arc)

Yup. A lot of people get side-tracked by all the echiness of Sora no Otoshimono but if you read it (mostly) for the plot like me. You'll find a lot of heavy themes in the story. I feel for each of the character's sadness...... But Hiyori...... I cried manly tears for her. I am not ashamed to admit it.

yariel

yariel

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

and maybe it's just me ... but ...

most ecchi / comedy and filler doesn't seems "connect" within "real story" world either ...

when Tomoki get "dead", pummeled or strange dick beam attack, all don't connected with real story ...

and it's only connected in filler continuation somehow ... (so most filler is totally useless for main story)

unless mangaka willing to explain what the heck is going on ...

it's as if mangaka forcing ecchi, comedy and filler without any real connection within it ...

even To Love Ru which have TONS of ecchi, at least connect it within story plot ...

and most filler from other ecchi, comedy, harem manga I know at least have connection within main story ...

Gui

Gui

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNot even I know

Man...chapter 71 says everything...

http://img.batoto.net/comics/2013/05/20/s/read51999e0283aa3/img000032.png

1UXrZrh.png

kurap3ka

kurap3ka

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

manga is getting all serious all of a sudden.

wtf is happening?

Knight K

Knight K

Potato

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationCHILE, santiago

the END IS NEAR ... i suppose xD

Christopher

Christopher

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts
Tragedy tag is for when the story revolves around the tragedy. For example, stories where the MC has only a short time to live are generally a tragedy because the story is based around that plot point. This story; however, has not reached that point. A single death is not a tragic story. My friend died, would you call my life tragic? No, that's called normal. However, my friend left behind a wife and two infants; that is tragic because it's a huge part of their world.

yariel

yariel

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

Tragedy tag is for when the story revolves around the tragedy. For example, stories where the MC has only a short time to live are generally a tragedy because the story is based around that plot point. This story; however, has not reached that point. A single death is not a tragic story. My friend died, would you call my life tragic? No, that's called normal. However, my friend left behind a wife and two infants; that is tragic because it's a huge part of their world.

*sigh* ...

if you just read all the main story WHILE IGNORING ALL FILLER ...

then it will be quite obvious this is tragedy ...

and haven't you read Ch 71 yet ?