Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Baam being "tasty"...

Baam viole tower of god tasty gardians

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Cutty Flam

Cutty Flam

Potato

• Members
  • 115 posts
Okay,
So I just need a little clarification.
In season one when the guardian of the second(?) floor called Baam "tasty." Was that simply meant as snappy wordplay on his name meaning both night and chestnut, as was previously mentioned with Headon? Or some sort of cryptic hint at his latent shinsoo prowess?
I always thought it was just a joke, and nothing more, and I don't recall SIU ever mentioning it in one of his chapter notes; But I keep reading people saying that those comments were some sort of serious comment, and that it was the guardian literally saying that Baam looked tasty, due to his great control over shinsoo or something.
Was there something that I missed here? or are some people just looking a little too deeply in-between the lines and seeing something that isn't there?

Thanks,

KillerLiquid

KillerLiquid

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
Wordplay.

Couch Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 3,043 posts
I don't think there are any certain answers to your questions. Still, let me add a few more:

Did the Guardian know the boy's name is Baam? Do Guardians even eat humans? Or Shinsoo if we assume that is what was looking tasty?

However I am almost sure of one thing - it was not a joke. The reason is that in this same dialogue there are actual jokes, which are represented by different font and style, as opposed to the normal way the tasty remark was made. Besides, right in the next panel the Guardian is smirking, which is very creepily suspicious.

Edited by 101010, 23 December 2012 - 04:10 AM.

The opinions expressed by this user are solely their own and do not express the views of Batoto and its staff.

Cutty Flam

Cutty Flam

Potato

• Members
  • 115 posts
". The reason is that in this same dialogue there are actual jokes, which are represented by different font and style, as opposed to the normal way the tasty remark was made."

if you mean the little out-of-word-bubble comments, there are plenty of jokes/non serious dialog throughout the series that is written fully/normally in word bubbles.

and to me, the smirk kind of confirmed that it was a joke, it mirrored the original tasty comment by headon, which was a play on words and (if I remember right) accompanied by a similar smirk.

and as far as his name being mentioned, we're talking about baam floating as an astral-projection-y-thing in a giant black void talking to an enormous sentient eel requesting permission to use the magical waters on his floor of the gigantic tower, and while SIU has set up an amazingly well structured universe/continuum here, nothing has been said yet as to how the guardian tests if someone is "worthy" of a contract, and if it's some sort of mind-reading thing, than the guardian knowing Baam's name and making a corny joke isn't that far fetched.

it seems to me to be one of those, tension breaking jokes. the guardian stares deeply, says "you..."
then in the next frame "...look tasty"
and baam just says "ah...haha... tha..thank you" and then outside of the bubble "I hear that often these days"

I think that last bit really makes it look like a joke. I'm just curious as to whether SIU has said to the contrary, as a lot seem to think that comment holds a deep profound meaning.

Couch Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 3,043 posts

I think that last bit really makes it look like a joke. I'm just curious as to whether SIU has said to the contrary, as a lot seem to think that comment holds a deep profound meaning.

To my knowledge, SIU hasn't commented on it yet.

And Guardians being able to read thoughts is too far fetched to me. Well, maybe just this one is fine...

The opinions expressed by this user are solely their own and do not express the views of Batoto and its staff.

bubbers

bubbers

Potato

• Members
  • 164 posts

I don't think there are any certain answers to your questions. Still, let me add a few more:

Did the Guardian know the boy's name is Baam? Do Guardians even eat humans? Or Shinsoo if we assume that is what was looking tasty?

However I am almost sure of one thing - it was not a joke. The reason is that in this same dialogue there are actual jokes, which are represented by different font and style, as opposed to the normal way the tasty remark was made. Besides, right in the next panel the Guardian is smirking, which is very creepily suspicious.

i'm with you on this

the first time around I was under a very strong impression that it was not a joke (though the guardians to play it off like such to a degree)

it wasn't done like the other jokes. It was creepy, and another big thing....

why the hell are the guardians so interested in pushing up strong people? I don't see a plus side for them anywhere. isn't there a fairy tale about a witch feeding kids with candy until she eats them? I'm thinking this is like number 2 possible reason (insert some other of a dozen good reasons into number 1 but this would always be number two to me). If you look at it this way, the guardians aren't preparing regulars/irregulars with tests, they're sort of marinating them.

also, it would explain why enryu killed a guardian.

also it doesn't have to be literally eating them (though it could be) but it could be some sort of "eating their soul" or "taking their essence or experience" or any number of other like things.

Edited by bubbers, 23 December 2012 - 05:08 AM.

Cutty Flam

Cutty Flam

Potato

• Members
  • 115 posts

To my knowledge, SIU hasn't commented on it yet.

And Guardians being able to read thoughts is too far fetched to me. Well, maybe just this one is fine...

Maybe not "mind-reading" but more like checking their "stats"?

"why the hell are the guardians so interested in pushing up strong people? I don't see a plus side for them anywhere. isn't there a fairy tale about a witch feeding kids with candy until she eats them? I'm thinking this is like number 2 possible reason (insert some other of a dozen good reasons into number 1 but this would always be number two to me). If you look at it this way, the guardians aren't preparing regulars/irregulars with tests, they're sort of marinating them."

I've heard that SIU's previous works reveal this a little bit, which was part of why he removed them all. I think one of them was that there were multiple towers or something and their purpose was to create an ultimate/omnipotent exis, a sort of man-made god. so the guardians may not be so much trying to stop everyone from climbing, as they are trying to weed out the weak and let only the strongest who could actually reach the top through. though this could be totally wrong, I've only read other's very brief summaries of parts of his previous works, and I guess that it's a bit of a debate right now as to whether SIU removed the old works because they were a bit of a spoiler/too much of an insight, or because he had changed the continuity/story of his universe and that the past works had become wrong/would mislead fans.

so take the above with a pinch of salt.

and I thought enryu killed a guardian just to prove it could be done? (maybe to prove they weren't godly beings or something?

Secros Matias Supreme

Secros Matias Supreme

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationDisney World, All year-round
So then it would be like how a farmer looks at a cow, or a boy looks at a toy soldier that the guardian looked at Baam. I guess enryu hated that look.

Like I can say whatever creepy thing I want to say to you and not get any repercussions.
Posted ImageFly me to the moon Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like On a, Jupiter and Mars In other words, hold my hand In other words, baby, kiss me
Fill my heart with song And let me sing for ever more You are all I long for All I worship and adore In other words, please be true
In other words, I love you

Icurus

Icurus

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts
Baam means night and chestnut, baam has chestnut coloured hair and eyes I think it was a reference to the same joke the fie made on the first floor when he named him baam for short

Euodiachloris

Euodiachloris

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 7,336 posts
  • LocationUK
To be honest, trusting Headon's sense of humour to be 2D enough to settle on a pun of only two meanings is a little... unwise. :mellow:

I vote: "yes: the Guardians do mean something else by it" -- but, I'm buttered if I know what. <_< Maybe several somethings. :P I do know that if they find it funny, though... it's not all good. :P

Dark senses of humour, the lot of 'em, if they take after your average fair of Blue and Orange folk. <_<

Edited by Euodiachloris, 23 December 2012 - 04:24 PM.

PlotCap.png

~:Euo will do instead of my whole handle:~

Scanlation-author collaboration not possible?  Nope: it's doable... try Trace and vote with your feet to try to get more like this.

oceana

oceana

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 471 posts
Okay so I have mainly two thoughts about this really....

Headon - I believe,he said he looked tasty, as if to make Baam's name into a joke. That might be why in the panel before, it shows the definition of Baam's name, and Headon says it in a light heartened manner, so readers will look back and see the definition of him name.

The second floor guardian- I think SIU used the wordplay of Baam's name to state how Baam had a ton of potential, only assuming though if the guardian didn't know Baam's actual name. This can also be explained by the second floor guardian's more serious demeanor as he talks to Baam.

To your left is a batch of cookies, and towards your right is a hall filled with doom. Which do you chose?

Akasha

Akasha

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationGermany
Or the guardian agreed to help FUG if they offered Viole to him as snack once they´re done with him and all that "kill Zahanrd" stuff. In the same way as "Yuri continues to make her boy grow into someone that suites her taste even more", the Guardian is trying to turn Baam into incredible tasty food for himself?

Edited by Akasha, 23 December 2012 - 07:35 PM.

Beelz

Beelz

Potato

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • LocationDah bu!

Or the guardian agreed to help FUG if they offered Viole to him as snack once they´re done with him and all that "kill Zahanrd" stuff. In the same way as "Yuri continues to make her boy grow into someone that suites her taste even more", the Guardian is trying to turn Baam into incredible tasty food for himself?

But why would a guardian risk getting himself killed just to have a tasty snack. Well personally i got the feeling of forshadowing(if there can be such a feeling)

To use the same joke twice is really in bad taste so unless SUI planned it this way in order to leave some sort of subtle hint to future events or Baams potential, also it doesn't seem like some running gag since its only happened twice... well we have yet to meet a 3rd guardian to find out for sure.

Somebody mentioned that in SUI's previous works we found out more about the towers purpose (although we where to take it with a pinch of salt) if the tower was created in order to create the ultimate Exis maybe the guardian saw that potential in Baam hence the creepy smile and the comment about Baam being tasty... using the joke to cover for a hint.

Edited by Beelz, 23 December 2012 - 09:08 PM.

Heretical_Tarp

Heretical_Tarp

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationReverse Ocean
Lets say, hypothetically, that it isn't a joke.
What then?
Posted Image

Morkk

Morkk

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationQuebec
I think its because when the gardian test if he was worthy of using shinsoo nothing happen thas why i belive there is something else then just a tasty nut..
Did Bamm already have overwhelming control of shinsoo above the guardian or he negate it??? The gardian probably eat shinsoo(my opinion)

Spoiler