Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Word Association Game

• Please log in to reply
25314 replies to this topic

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
I mean, all but the most abstract notions of morality, are rules made up to help humans get along in life and with each other, so in many moral systems, yes, worse than a cow or a pig.

But I actually meant it only in context (see "genocide," supra). More broadly, I'm not actually even anti-cannibalism (except for the disease vector issue), much less anti-cremation.

manifest destiny

hmmm is that two words or one

A two-word phrase seems conceptually legitimate especially if as in this case the meaning of the two words put together is different from either word taken alone; at that point it's basically functionally indistinguishable from a compound-word like

Whitewash

Edited by pokari, 19 June 2019 - 01:58 AM.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

Hollywood

I was just messing with you. I was just listening to victor frankl's man search for meaning, that's all

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Fay

Oh? Looking it up, he sounds like an interesting man. (My psychology and philosophy history are erratic and spotty, so he is hitherto unknown to me)

Also interesting is how that book title seems to be the second or third revision and the earlier titles are much more to the point (but therefore much more oppressive); I can't help but wonder what the forces were behind that (was it simply too sensationalist or grim the first times, did he feel it ultimately detracted from what he wanted to say, was it a change in the times, was it the editor or the author's decision in each case...? etc.)

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts

Hay

disease vector issue

so being lazy and not looking at the last page if there is any relevance, but what is this

sounds interesting

zombielike

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Coffee wait no the pertinent word is "Hay" not "zombielike"

Bedding

Sort of the reverse of the zombie situation; eating humans regularly could potentially be dangerous. Though as with zombies, brains are involved.

Prion diseases, a group of uncommon and deadly brain diseases, can be spread by eating the contaminated flesh of humans or other animals. The human brain is more contaminated with prions than other body parts, though bone marrow, the spinal cord and the small intestine also contain these fatal brain-eating malformations. Prion diseases occur when the prion protein misfolds, causing a cascade of misfolding prion proteins that clump in the brain and damage or destroy nerve cells, creating sponge-like holes. Current examples include kuru and Creutzfeld-Jacob disease in humans, and mad cow disease in animals, both of which cause brain deterioration, loss of motor control and ultimately death.

Though that makes it sound like correct preparation of humans is perhaps sufficient for safe consumption along these lines, which I wasn't aware of.

You definitely also want to make very sure humans are fully cooked before eating because, not to put too fine a point on it, every disease and parasite that humans carry are capable of infecting humans.

Edited by pokari, 10 July 2019 - 03:08 PM.

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts

Oh i just read the word prion in the quote and stopped reading

yeah those are fun

from a studying them in the lab for their unusual properties point of view

Feather

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

Oh i just read the word prion in the quote and stopped reading

yeah those are fun

from a studying them in the lab for their unusual properties point of view

Feather

Well, the bit in the block quote I hadn't been aware of, was the bit about them being mostly in the brain also in the spinal cord and bone marrow (in humans at least).

Makes it sound like preparing human safely is like preparing blowfish ~w~

Pen

Edited by pokari, 12 July 2019 - 11:50 PM.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
My eldest sister's cat is dying (which is not exactly news, it's had cancer and dementia for a bit now, but now it's at the stage of, it's basically stopped eating, and the question is of how many more days of this to go through), and she is very upset :/

You

You

Savage Potato

• Members
  • 3,262 posts
Apple

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_9e1zrqkbvu8s

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Rosy

You

You

Savage Potato

• Members
  • 3,262 posts
Cheeks

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_9e1zrqkbvu8s

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Butt

._. I mean my first thought was "rosy," but that's where we just came from, and when you ask, "what else goes with 'cheeks'," well, apparently I'm five. ~w~;

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Cigarette

I wonder what the "new" e-cigarette lung disease is about, other than being sort of grimly poetic about mankind's inability to escape the consequences of it's foibles. (Who was it that a hundred years ago or so remarked so cheerfully that nitrous was like alcohol but without the hangover?)

The CDC says it's probably caused by a chemical rather than an infectious organism, because no signs of anything infectious have been found, and that a-lot-but-not-all-of the people involved were e-smoking marijuana, and that seems to be as much as anyone knows for now.

Edited by pokari, 09 September 2019 - 03:59 PM.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

Death

The new e-cigs are getting a bad rap. I think it's strange that we pick on the tobacco industry all the time when it's our first cash crop, made our country rich (on the backs of slaves of course).

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Effervescent

I mean we let them freely get away with murder (more or less literally) for like, what, a century after they stopped being a key part of our economy? I think that debt is already repaid.

I mean we still let them get away with murder, just not as freely.

Those slaves that we exploited for it back then we haven't paid back our debts to, though. Not even the ones we explicitly duplicitously promised forty acres and a mule.

It wouldn't stand up in court, of course, but it would be fun to watch reactions if we required the tobacco industry and others that grew their fat off the slave trade to pay for restitution. >w>; *slightly evil cackling*

Edited by pokari, 13 September 2019 - 05:30 PM.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

maybe we should also require mcdonalds and fast food restaurants to foot the expensive medical bills related to diabetes and various heart problems

fade (like fade away)

Edited by Feishy Pit Boar, 15 September 2019 - 09:25 PM.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
I mean, the idea of taxing fast food or having an unhealthy-food tax has been seriously floated before, it's just that such a policy would—even if it might be a good option from a utilitarian perspective—hit the worst-off people hardest, i.e., those impoverished enough to actually be calorie-deficient (starving). And we unfortunately have a significant number of such people, even if they're mostly out of sight (out on the streets, or in rural America, or just hiding the fact that they're hungry...)

It would seem like the correct thing to do would be to put a significant dent in hunger first (embarrassingly, this is partially just a matter of allocating enough money; my impression is one of the wacko side benefits of our trade war is that some of the government-subsidy crop purchases to offset the trade war effectively went to charity and, accordingly, there were a lot less hungry people than normal in certain areas about a year ago. Which is nice but temporary and therefore depressing. It would be even cheaper for the government to feed them if there wasn't a trade war on, remember, we just can't be bothered to spend those billions on something useless like, y'know, feeding poor people).

So, I dunno. Maybe shift it a bit to be more pragmatic, and tax unhealthy food to fund food distribution programs, instead. It would be less poetic, but easier to swallow the consequences of.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

The trade war would affect china's ability to feed its lifestocks (pigs, soybeans) but wouldn't really affect the US ability to feed itself, I guess. The government subsidy to the farmers is a bailout - instead of bailing out wall street, they bailout the farmers. I guess that's ok. At least farmers make food.

Food

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
I dunno if I'd have called offsetting the direct and immediate results of our own sudden-and-unexpected tariffs a "bailout".

Unless you're talking about the usual subsidies we give them. Well, I wouldn't call those bailouts either (since they're not a one-time thing) but my only complaint about those ones is an irrational preference for certain crops (corn).

The most pragmatic reason for subsidizing our farms, normally, is straightforward, and you just highlighted it:

The trade war [...] wouldn't really affect the US ability to feed itself, I guess.

That's not to say there aren't other good reasons to subsidize farming (keeps food costs even lower, shorter food distribution networks are better for the environment, etc), but if you're going to be a military superpower you have to have a plan to feed yourself when nobody else likes you. Mind, for the past few decades that hasn't been as important because of mutually ensured destruction in the cases that would normally lead to naval supply chain intercepts and whatnot.

But, I guess it's equally valid until if what we're all resorting to is economic warfare instead.

Biscuit

Edited by pokari, 23 September 2019 - 04:46 PM.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Crumble

I went to a ren-fair the day before yesterday and am only now approaching being recovered.

Am I getting old already? XD