Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.57 - 149votes)

Genshiken Nidaime - The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture II

Alt Names: alt げんしけん: 二代目alt 现视研2alt 现视研二代目alt Genshiken 2alt Genshiken IIalt Genshiken Nidaimealt Genshiken: 2nd Generationalt Genshiken: Second Generation
Author: Kio Shimoku
Artist: Kio Shimoku
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaGender Bender Gender BenderHarem HaremRomance RomanceSchool Life School LifeSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Genshiken follows the lives of a group of college students drawn together by their shared hobbies, and the trials and adventures associated with being otaku.

Genshiken Nidaime ("Second Generation") is a continuation of the previous series, with chapter numbering starting at 57.
(http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/genshiken-the-society-for-the-study-of-modern-visual-culture-r961)

Spin-Off:

> Ramen Tenshi Pretty Menma
(http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/ramen-tenshi-pretty-menma-r6171)

Alternate Story:

> Spotted Flower
(http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/spotted-flower-r2152)
Go to Genshiken Nidaime - The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture II Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Latest Chapter Discussion New Window WorstWaifu
  • 3 Replies
Topic I can hardly find any fanfiction for this series! New Window captainkitten
  • 13 Replies
Topic Why, oh why Kio Shimoku? New Window cloudbill
  • 11 Replies
Topic Madarame X New Window null7
  • 18 Replies
Topic Does Suzanna Hopkins Have A Future? New Window MangaisGood
  • 4 Replies
Topic Who is translating the Genshiken Nidaime now? New Window EbonyRaven
  • 2 Replies

814 Comments

welp, dat seems forced and i'm a madaXsue shipper, didn't get the feeling of satisfaction tbh, nonetheless i still love those two, OTP. sad that it's ending so soon :< madarame's harem took all the spotlight

Okay the author must be reading these forums or something. MY SHIPPING FOR TEAM MADO x SUE HAPPENED! I CAN DIE A HAPPY MAN!

I can't believe it's going to end after the next chapter! I've spent years on Genshiken!

These 2 chapters are the most satisfying Genshiken Nidaime chapters ever. The old gang, all those references, the OTP moment. I can't believe how satisfied I am now.

(Was Quoting Disdanny at 02:51 15 Aug below but the quote disappeared)

I dunno. What with the baby just been born, Spotted Flower will either flourish or come to a crashing halt. (I have no internet insight so I may be well off the mark...)

Sir, I read you and see a reflection.

And I remember with fond nostalgia those days in which Ranma reigned supreme over all romance comedies, when the only way to watch anime was through Manga video, when urotsukidoji was relevant and people pooled their money to get that vhs fansub tape

In retrospect I should've realized that a lot of Genshiken readers would be similarly ancient geezers like me, lol.

Disclaimer: I'm a 90s otaku like the Genshiken and they changes ARE hard to keep up with. You young'uns are moving too fast for us old geezers... Nowadays I just look in from outside and study the trends rather than participate directly. The most up-to-date I got was in becoming a Kancolle player, and that's quickly moving out of fad as well.

Sir, I read you and see a reflection.

And I remember with fond nostalgia those days in which Ranma reigned supreme over all romance comedies, when the only way to watch anime was through Manga video, when urotsukidoji was relevant and people pooled their money to get that vhs fansub tape

I can't decide wether that confession was absolutely adorable or extremely pathetic. I guess it'd be a little bit of column A and a lot of column B. Which one's which is left to everyone's personal preferences.

Well, Sue is best girl and her flag already planted since the first Genshiken.

The Madarame's harem probably to incorporate the recents 'Harem Shit', trap boom and the following strange phenomenon where many otaku men (openly) sexually attracted to them.

In Moe We Trust!

This series continues to be amazing.

I'm speechless

Spoiler

Capture.png

Why of course we must!

tumblr_nbsrxqPt2E1tw8163o1_500.gif

Congratulations!

Spoiler

Congratulations!

@sssr I get where you're coming from, about things changing. I've been reading Comptiq for years, and recently, the contents have evolved into something I don't even recognize. It used to be about anime and video/pc games, but now it's just crappy cell phone games dominating all of the coverage. It feels like some kind of alien thing now.

Capture.png

Why of course we must!

tumblr_nbsrxqPt2E1tw8163o1_500.gif

Congratulations!

yes.... ALL OF MY YES!!! best girl won, there is justice in the world.

Best GIrl is Saki, but I still agree with you about Sue :D

A great chapter! I hope Kio can keep up the momentum for the finale. Not gonna lie, it will be hard letting go the characters I've grown to love over the years. I hope the author can come up with a similar group dynamic in the future. Because to me, the appeal wasn't because of the otaku theme, but because of the interactions. The otaku awkwardness added some flavor, true, but wasn't the selling point for me.

yes.... ALL OF MY YES!!! best girl won, there is justice in the world.

Kio already established that one major reason Genshiken was ending (and why the Rame harem took center stage) was because otaku culture had evolved significantly since the time of the original Genshiken run. The manga team simply couldn't keep up with the culture and make a relevant and believable Genshiken anymore. You can see that in the total lack of Madarame's discussions, because that's just not how Japanese otaku behave anymore. Nowadays otaku go to Akiba more for the figures and collectibles rather than the manga, and discussions like Madarame used to trigger are now more likely to happen in chat groups or NND. Most damning of all, otaku circles today are also more creative and work in multimedia formats, prosumers rather than consumers (although to be fair the current Genshiken tried to go there too with their doujin). Also, the Genshiken group is strangely tech-averse compared to current real-life otaku who basically live in the net. Kio's team is somewhat similar in their "backwardness", which may be a major factor in why they can't keep up. The only place where Genshiken is up-to-date is in the manga and anime references.

There probably won't be a 3rd Genshiken run, although a "real" Spotted Flower dealing with the main continuity post-Genshiken couples might work.

EDIT: 

Disclaimer: I'm a 90s otaku like the Genshiken and the changes ARE hard to keep up with. You young'uns are moving too fast for us old geezers... Nowadays I just look in from outside and study the trends rather than participate directly. The most up-to-date I got was in becoming a Kancolle player, and that's quickly moving out of fad as well.

actually is really understandable, specially the part of the otaku circles being more proactive to reach the media (saekano would be part of that trend, in a no realist and full archetypes everywhere kind of way) and reading genshiken was interesting to learn about the otaku culture and as you have said about the author saying xD, that part clearly wasn't in the second part and in the end he used the most popular of the guys and spotted flower was a troll spin off in the end xD (a good one actually).

about the disclaimer: and I salute you for all your years of service (just wanted to say that)

50128647.jpg

Well, since I can't get it here anymore, does anyone have any suggestions for manga about girl otaku that are portrayed realistically and not just as moe moe squealing blobs of "what no, really, this is how fangirls are like" written by a guy who has never interacted with a fangirl outside the internet

No.

Really, I don't think there is another manga in this niche.  Not sure there ever has been.  Uh . . . probably the least far away would be Love is Hard for Otaku, but it's not that close.  It's a much more, hmmm, casual manga and it's about adult office workers.

Well, I suppose it's oddly correct.  In the end, Madarame is the most hardcore male otaku in the group, and Sue, well, talks almost entirely in anime quotes; it seems reasonable to call her the most hardcore female otaku in the group, certainly the most hardcore anime/manga otaku.  Who else but Mada would really be able to communicate with her?

Well, since I can't get it here anymore, does anyone have any suggestions for manga about girl otaku that are portrayed realistically and not just as moe moe squealing blobs of "what no, really, this is how fangirls are like" written by a guy who has never interacted with a fangirl outside the internet

I am not ready for it to end. :(

IMHO, the Madarame harem shenanigans dragged on for too long, and took a good chunk of the arcs (not that i was much of a fan of Mada anyway). He doesn't really grab my attention as a character, and him as the center of the harem seemed to forced and haphazard. Genshiken part I was a whole lot better, tho im not sure it is just my nostalgia filters influencing me.

Disclaimer: I'm a 90s otaku like the Genshiken and the changes ARE hard to keep up with. You young'uns are moving too fast for us old geezers... Nowadays I just look in from outside and study the trends rather than participate directly. The most up-to-date I got was in becoming a Kancolle player, and that's quickly moving out of fad as well.

It is? I guess I'm even more behind than you are, although I shouldn't be surprised since I don't remember the last series I watched as it was airing.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics