Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.69 - 144votes)

Kasane (MATSUURA Daruma)

Alt Names: alt 累 ──かさね──alt 累 深红累之渊alt 累(かさね)alt Kasane - La Voleuse de visagesalt Once Againalt Касане
Author: Matsuura Daruma
Artist: Matsuura Daruma
Genres: Award Winning Award WinningDrama DramaHorror HorrorPsychological PsychologicalSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of LifeSupernatural SupernaturalTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Beautiful people are loved and revered. They have everything they desire right at their fingertips...
Even if that beauty is a complete illusion.

Before Kasane's mother died, she was given a special tube of lipstick from her mother. She was told that if times ever got really really hard, she should wear the lipstick and kiss whatever she really desires.

But is this keepsake a blessing? Or a curse?

@darumaym (Author Twitter)
http://evening.moae.jp/lineup/266 (Official site)

Now available in English digitally from Kodansha USA!
https://kodanshacomics.com/series/kasane/
Go to Kasane (MATSUURA Daruma) Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

202 Comments

That comes up so often I wonder if I should edit the description to say NOT Yuri or Shoujo-Ai?

Unless that's why you came here and started reading it, then yes, yes... so much yuri *cough*

Get them to read by hook or crook =P

I feel bad laughing, but I picture a scene where some random person is like: "So are you staying warm today young lady?" *Kasane pulls down the scarf for a second and replies "Yes, thank you." *Person sees her face* "EGAH! Uhh... that's... good.... haveaniceday!" *walks away quickly*

So cold today, so very very cold...

Spoiler

So Kawaii

this manga is surprisingly good :) at first I thought this was a yuri

So cold today, so very very cold...

Spoiler

Chapter 5 brought to you by Judas Juice -- Still only 30 Silver Pieces! :)

Also: I remember getting a message from a Russian group, but I can't for the life of me find it anymore. PM me again if you read this.

The problem with stealing other people's faces is that the victim will know what happened. It doesn't change anything even if the stalks an unknown beauty: even if no one will believe their face has been stolen (something hard to swallow given the evidence), they might seek revenge the moment they see Kasane's face on TV (supposing Kasane really tries to become an actress like her mother).

They could want revenge but Kasane would be famous by then, no one would listen to the ravings of an ugo saying that Kasane stole her face and the second she started trying anything (in the confused and probably irrational state they'd be in) Kasane need simply tighten her guard detail. The victim would almost certainly never think of harming themselves to stop Kasane and without that there's no guarantee that they'd get their face back even if they harmed her directly.

And how long would it take for them to find her? 10 years? 20? I'm sure Kasane would rather take that gamble and get a few years as a beautiful woman rather than trying this terrifying back and forth the whole time. At this rate she really is going to get caught and the first incident should have been more than enough to show her how very badly that can go.

So happy for the Night on Galactic Railroad mentions : ) (even though they are rather common)

Nice new cover page.

I think it's just the face, so maybe Kasane actually has a pretty good figure? heh

the comments in the newest chapter made me think this same thing.

thanks for the update!

One thing I haven't been able to figure out yet is: Does Kasane only inherit their face (and voice)? Or also their figure? Because so far she conveniently always seems to encounter another girl exactly her own height :) I think it's just the face, so maybe Kasane actually has a pretty good figure? heh

Personally, I like the cleaved numbers. And it seems the romaji characters of the author's and protagonist's names are also cleaved. And actually, this kind of thing makes a lot of sense in stories the main theme thereof is physical beauty. I've seen it before, although I cannot recall where, but the explanation has to do with mirrors: they are a symbol of beauty, but when they are shattered they distort reflections by cleaving them. So the cleaved characters represent the fragility and shallowness of beauty.

Good eye. I didn't read past the Haibu-san part originally, so I missed that :) Although if you ask me, I think the "cleaved numbers" thing on the covers looks dumb. But hey, can't expect people where English isn't their native language to understand the aesthetics. And they only care about how its perceived by the home market anyways, so I guess its moot.

Oh, yeah, found the tweet. I Googled ハイヴ and it's a graphic design company that designs tankoubon covers. Also it says だるま先生の絵 right under that so looks like the mangaka did draw it after all.

I'm not entirely sure. The PR account on Twitter just calls him ハイヴさん Haibu-san. You could try asking them on Twitter what other stuff the artist has done.

I don't read too closely into the covers. They were done by a guest artist, and intentionally visually provocative to draw the eye and garner more sales IMHO :)

Oh, they were? The cover art is what interested me in the manga; who's the artist?

The girl with blonde hair on the volume 2 cover is, as you might guess, a character that comes up in later chapters.

Oh, yes, I only used the covers to introduce the matter of the current absence of a male character to introduce tension in the story. But I agree, the covers are very provocative.

I don't read too closely into the covers. They were done by a guest artist, and intentionally visually provocative to draw the eye and garner more sales IMHO :)

The problem with stealing other people's faces is that the victim will know what happened. It doesn't change anything even if the stalks an unknown beauty: even if no one will believe their face has been stolen (something hard to swallow given the evidence), they might seek revenge the moment they see Kasane's face on TV (supposing Kasane really tries to become an actress like her mother).

Obviously her mother found a permanent solution and managed to have a career without interruptions. I wonder how she accomplished that, if it is true that the effects of the lipstick either are temporary or need the other person to remain alive.

Maybe she found a comatose beauty whom she could kiss whenever she needed it?

Interestingly, Kasane is depicted in both volume covers in the process of kissing other girls. Which is perfectly understandable, given that she wants to steal their faces.

But her complaint on chapter 3 is very specific: if she doesn't do anything, she will die old and alone.

Since it doesn't seem this is going the yuri route - but I may be wrong, of course -, I think tension will really begin when a man enters the fray. For some reason, I keep thinking of the boy who played the prince in the Cinderella episode - the one who had qualms about replacing Kasane in the middle of the play.

Which leads me to the question: can the lipstick "steal" things other than faces? Her mother - if the memories are real - did get herself a man, after all (but maybe just her pretty - stolen - face was enough for that, probably).

I am also curious about her father. If he left, I wonder whether he found out about the lipstick.

no, don't steal iku's face!!! she's too nice =(

but it's really sad that she can't steal permanently. otherwise, things would've looked up for her ever since her 1st theft.

She really needs to stop fixating on beautiful people where she is. Over summer break she should go on a looooong trip. Find the most beautiful+happy person she can, stalk the crap out of them - and then steal their face in a moment when they're entirely alone and after knocking them out and cleaning out their wallet.

When she comes back she'll have a fresh face and can transfer to a new school. No one would ever need to know.

Of course being logical would ruin the story...

Also, belatedly, Kasane bringing us some ...uhh.... Christmas cheer?

bUkPsPa.jpg

The mockup of the cover art for volume 2 has been posted. Vol 2 releases on Jan 23rd.

Spoiler

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics