Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * - (4.48 - 403votes)

I Am a Hero

Alt Names: alt Ako ay isang Bayanialt Aku Adalah Seorang Pahlawanalt アイアムアヒーローalt Ben Bir Kahramanımalt Eu Sou Um Heróialt 请叫我英雄alt Soy un Héroealt Tôi là anh hùngalt من قهرمانمalt Я — геройalt אני גיבורalt أنا بطل
Author: Hanazawa Kengo
Artist: Hanazawa Kengo
Genres: Action ActionAward Winning Award WinningDrama DramaEcchi EcchiHorror HorrorMystery MysteryPsychological PsychologicalRomance RomanceSeinen SeinenSmut SmutSupernatural SupernaturalTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Hideo Suzuki is a thirty-five year old mangaka assistant struggling to be the hero in his own life by breaking back into the lime light with a new serial all the while juggling his relationship with his girlfriend and his own delusions.

However, as hard as Hideo may try, the world seems to have a different set of plans for him; sinister and dark machinations that completely overturn his reality as he knows it.

Nominated for the 3rd and 4th Manga Taisho Award (2010 and 2011).
Go to I Am a Hero Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Final Chapter (264) disc. (spoilers) New Window Serial Raper
  • 9 Replies
Topic Is there any sight to when this might end? New Window SangMo
  • 2 Replies
Topic "I Am a Hero" movie coming out April 23rd, 2016 New Window Ozen
  • 17 Replies
Topic Chapter 197 New Window Tadao
  • 0 Replies
Topic Zombie Apocalypse Day Preparation (For fun) New Window Harpuea
  • 21 Replies
Topic Infected and awakened and hair. New Window Delete me 12345567
  • 2 Replies

1217 Comments

Wow, that ending took me completely by surprise.  But somehow that's expected of Kengo Hanazawa.

I think it was great. Hideo has gotten old and lonely, just as the ZQN hivemind said he would. This sort of suits him because his heart was always closed, and he wasn't socially fit. He's also learned the skills he needed to survive, so we're lead to believe he will spend the rest of his days like this. There's no fuss, no big drama, no epic or heroic ending, but that's just how he's lead his life up to this point so it's fitting. 

There's no suicide as well, because that wouldn't be like him. He's got his delusions to keep him company, so he can deal with the loneliness, again just like how he did before.

He just survives, that's it. I like this ending.

This isn't so much a bad ending as an unfinished story. Hideo hunting deer and making his own slugs reminded of Farmland Saga. I'm sure the author could have shown surviving pockets of humanity around Japan while Hideo continued to survive until both came into contact, if he were so inclined.

But I think it left off with Hideo alone in Tokyo because as Claresilver47 said, that's essentially how this manga began – Hideo not in touch with the rest of society. Only now he's self-sufficient and confident and literally the hero of his own story. We'll never know what (if anything) happens next, but as long-runner endings go this was at least thematically consistent.

Huh (in a bad way)

.... That's axed..... Why? Because, F*** the (Japanese comic) copyright law, that's why.

huh what, this is the end? seriously?

One day I'll find a manga where the ending isn't a massive anti-climax.

For example, most of the characters in this story were actually fairly unique and were introduced in decent ways. The ways the characters interacted, however, was garbage. I mean shit, our MC most of the series looked like he had a mental disorder even when he was having sex with the high school girl. So much awkward dialogue and interaction.

I probably just spoiled most comics. To be fair, good ones are rare and not the norm.

What do you expect from people who have learn their social skills from authors of mangas, anime and LN, who had also learned their social skills from mangas, anime and LN. 

That aunt who turned back young and have lots of kids has a better ending

wat?

Dayum, look at all that butthurt in the comments! We need some bandaids here, stat!

They are disappointed with the lackluster ending to an amazing story. It's well deserved because the ending sucked.

I cant even

Rushed ending, much was left unresolved.

He literally sees a deer and decides to start making bullets and hunt for food instead of living off of canned food.

What a disappointment.

Tobidashi boy was the true protagonist, but he got killed due to lack of plot armor, as a result the end is here.

It is because they rely on a lot of the same plot and character schemas, similar to how television shows in the West do. If you really look at all entertainment in general, there isn't that much originality in it. Most of the time it is almost the exact same kind of characters and only the plot is slightly different.

In the case of manga, Japanese are known for their quirky ideas. However, if you watch any Japanese movies or television shows, then you would quickly realize that while Japanese are good at coming up ideas they are also usually bad at making a story out of them.

For example, most of the characters in this story were actually fairly unique and were introduced in decent ways. The ways the characters interacted, however, was garbage. I mean shit, our MC most of the series looked like he had a mental disorder even when he was having sex with the high school girl. So much awkward dialogue and interaction.

I probably just spoiled most comics. To be fair, good ones are rare and not the norm.

Stagnation, man. Over in the U.S. it seems the problem is originality to the point of alienation.

Overall, the manga was likeable, and it's those good moments that keep the memory alive.

• Cal likes this
Dayum, look at all that butthurt in the comments! We need some bandaids here, stat!

All the funny ride and the ending feels like a kick in the b*lls, why mangakas are so good at making stories but suck at finishing them?

It is because they rely on a lot of the same plot and character schemas, similar to how television shows in the West do. If you really look at all entertainment in general, there isn't that much originality in it. Most of the time it is almost the exact same kind of characters and only the plot is slightly different.

In the case of manga, Japanese are known for their quirky ideas. However, if you watch any Japanese movies or television shows, then you would quickly realize that while Japanese are good at coming up ideas they are also usually bad at making a story out of them.

dang that ending. I really like the realistic-ish survival aspect of the manga until that giant zombie and linked minds thing started. cant wait for his next work.

Axed, but still enjoyed the journey.

First, thanks a lot to the several groups/individuals that did translate it and put it online.

And as many said, the end is underwhelming. Too bad for a story that was really great, up until the moment they started moving towards Tokyo, I think.

I'm a bit confused , I expected a more meaningful ending , he just goes on living , alone , talking to himself , kinda sad ...

Oh boy, you are going to hate being in your 50s ^^

So, it's shit right?

so is it axed?

this ending is weird

i never see a manga about zombie outbreak with good ending, can someone recommend me

Biohazard: Marhawa Desire

http://vatoto.com/comic/_/comics/biohazard-marhawa-desire-r7894

What a disappointing ending...

Damn... Was not expecting it to end that suddenly.

I feel empty now, one of my fav mangas is over :(

I think that I might be fine with this ending. When a tale wraps up in an anticlimactic way with questions left unanswered, it can be realistic. Isn't that how life sometimes is, the stories we hear about? I sometimes prefer this to heroic, tidy resolutions. Obviously many if not most people have trouble with that. But some of us don't see the lack of such features to always be a flaw.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics