Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * - (4.47 - 207votes)

Golden Time

Alt Names: alt ゴールデンタイム (Umechazuke)alt 青春纪行(漫画)alt Golden Time (Ume Chazuke)alt Золотая пора
Author: Takemiya Yuyuko
Artist: Umechazuke
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaPsychological PsychologicalRomance RomanceSchool Life School LifeShounen ShounenSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Tada Banri, a newly admitted student at a private law school in Tokyo, found himself completely lost after the opening ceremony, trying to find his way to the freshman orientation. At that moment, he ran into another lost freshman from the same school, Yanagisawa Mitsuo, and they hit it off at once. Somehow arriving at their intended goal just on time, there appeared in front of the two a beautiful girl holding a bouquet of roses. The girl then whacked Mitsuo across the face with the bouquet and handed the flowers over to him. “Freshman, congratulations”, was all she said, and then she left. The stylish, well dressed, perfect woman that had swung at Mitsuo was his childhood friend, Kaga Kouko. As children they had promised to marry each other one day, fulfilling their dreams. In order to escape from her, Mitsuo had gone out secretly and taken the examination for this well known private college, but now she showed up in the freshman orientation hall. She too had taken the law school entrance examination, catching up with him there.
Go to Golden Time Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Latest raw chapter New Window l.kostas
  • 1 Replies
Topic Golden Time Discussion New Window Sir Flash™
  • 13 Replies

678 Comments

The anime is good, but I like the manga version better.

The manga version is better at showing the fun part of the story and also the character interactions (friendships). The anime is a bit more focused on the drama and Banri's struggle with his past. This makes the manga version a bit more balanced IMO. Not sure on the LN, but usually it is the best version.

I dropped the anime, it felt kinda unnatural, i like the manga so much more

what is the best version to watch manga,light novel, or anime?

The anime is good, but I like the manga version better.

The manga version is better at showing the fun part of the story and also the character interactions (friendships). The anime is a bit more focused on the drama and Banri's struggle with his past. This makes the manga version a bit more balanced IMO. Not sure on the LN, but usually it is the best version.

Wow the story just took a turn into a route with even more tangled threads of relationships.
I honestly have no idea how this is going to end.

If manga follows the anime, [light spoiler]

Spoiler

well, i didn't read the novel yet.
So, between manga and anime, both of them are pretty good, but at least the anime is completed.

Wow the story just took a turn into a route with even more tangled threads of relationships.

I honestly have no idea how this is going to end.

Spoiler

Koko time

This.. This manga... is so good.. But it could so easily shatter me... I hope there won't be to much drama coming at the couple :D

I'm starting a donation box to buy Banri  plane ticket to Paris. Who's with me?

eny5.jpg

My heart... this manga will surely crush it.

I'm starting a donation box to buy Banri  plane ticket to Paris. Who's with me?

man this so much better than the anime, which i stopped watching :S

The light novel and the manga are each better in differing ways.  But I laugh when people say "That wasn't in the anime!" as if the anime were the source material.

man this so much better than the anime, which i stopped watching :S

aparently the light novel is on 10 already and is still ongoing. Wondering how much drama is going to happen....

Because there are 3 side story collections...

After that rather difficult to follow wall of text, let's clarify one thing about how long this series should run, if it is allowed to run to completion.  Manga chapter 23 corresponds to the second half of the light novel volume 3, chapter 1.  That carries the manga to roughly 32% of the story in its entirety (eight volumes, 4-5 chapters apiece).  At that pace, the whole series will take 60-70 manga chapters to complete.

In other words, we are quite far from the "final arc" . . . in the manga.  The anime is much closer to the end now, of course, with episode 20 of 24 airing today.  The last light novel volume (#8) is coming out in two weeks . . . in Japanese.

aparently the light novel is on 10 already and is still ongoing. Wondering how much drama is going to happen....

What the hell u mean by sad ending? I prefer clumsy cliche ending rathrr than that! And from your ways of talking, it sounds like kaga and banri gonna have a break up soon?
What the hell man? Whats this? Kimi no iru machi? Love, couple, break up, then new love, regret, break up new love, chase old love, have a rival with old love, then make out, the couple again, more tearjerking scene, have some family prob, and then end? I just hope it won't be as long as that, sheesh
I just hope whatever comes in the next 3 volumes wont be as painful as i thought, its not enough that these roles, scenes and cliche plot have been overused in shoujo and josei, seriously i better prepare myself mentally for the break up, or for the worst, they looked so happy together like, 3 chapters ago, thats gonna shatter like a mirror....

Calm down. rpapo just pointed out a possible bad ending, it doesn't mean the story will end in that manner you know.

Sometimes, I prefer "bad end" prediction, simply because if the "bad end" comes true, I've already prepared myself for it. And if the ending is good, then I'm simply happy.

I just discovered this manga and readit all btween yesterday evening to this morning. I totally love it.

BTW, there shouldnt be so many spoilers in the comment section, you know?

Spoiler

What the hell u mean by sad ending? I prefer clumsy cliche ending rathrr than that! And from your ways of talking, it sounds like kaga and banri gonna have a break up soon?
What the hell man? Whats this? Kimi no iru machi? Love, couple, break up, then new love, regret, break up new love, chase old love, have a rival with old love, then make out, the couple again, more tearjerking scene, have some family prob, and then end? I just hope it won't be as long as that, sheesh
I just hope whatever comes in the next 3 volumes wont be as painful as i thought, its not enough that these roles, scenes and cliche plot have been overused in shoujo and josei, seriously i better prepare myself mentally for the break up, or for the worst, they looked so happy together like, 3 chapters ago, thats gonna shatter like a mirror....

I call him ghost just because it's that first world that come to my mind LOL. And when i read vol. 1 for the first time, i was very confused. Sometime it's like the authors tell the story and sometime it's like the old banri floating somewhere around the corner does it. Well, I had to reread previous chapter quite sometime to be sure that they are related.

In fact, that whole bit about the ghost was what confused most people in Japan.  When I figured out what was going on, and realized that we had a separate personality that called itself the ghost of Banri (age 18), and then translated it as such, there were people who accused me of being a lousy translator.  Fortunately, the more experienced translators at Baka-Tsuki stood up for me (though that's not to say I'm all that good a translator).

To clarify, in volumes 1-3, there is an alternate point of view that appears now and then.  You can tell when he is speaking, both from how he speaks, and from his frequent references to his own state of being dead.  This personality truly thinks of himself as dead, and as being physically separate from (yet drawn to) the physical living Banri.

As for a possible sad ending to this story, well, we shall see what the author has in store for us.  As they say, "It ain't over til the fat lady sings."  Prophets of doom have always existed, and are sometimes right.  They get remembered for those times, but most of the time they are wrong.

Thanks for the volume info
Now my hope for certain happy ending with kaga was crushed to million gazillion pieces, gotta face alot more tearjerker drama before that for 3 volume more
Warning: Wall of text

Spoiler

I call him ghost just because it's that first world that come to my mind LOL. And when i read vol. 1 for the first time, i was very confused. Sometime it's like the authors tell the story and sometime it's like the old banri floating somewhere around the corner does it. Well, I had to reread previous chapter quite sometime to be sure that they are related.

bla bla bla bla bla

Thanks for the volume info
Now my hope for certain happy ending with kaga was crushed to million gazillion pieces, gotta face alot more tearjerker drama before that for 3 volume more
Warning: Wall of text

Spoiler

I find it not so easy to follow the mangaka's way of story-telling. At times it flows nicely, other times it's broken in places.

Is the light novel better?

The light novel is far deeper and complex than the manga, let alone the really superficial anime.  The manga has more comedy.

That said, as the translator of that story, I find the author's style incredibly difficult to decipher at times.  I have been told it is difficult sometimes even for the Japanese themselves to read.  That is a good deal of the reason why my translation is proceding as slowly as it is.  After 40 months of working on it, I am only to the first chapter of the fourth volume.

I find it not so easy to follow the mangaka's way of story-telling. At times it flows nicely, other times it's broken in places.

Is the light novel better?

After that rather difficult to follow wall of text, let's clarify one thing about how long this series should run, if it is allowed to run to completion.  Manga chapter 23 corresponds to the second half of the light novel volume 3, chapter 1.  That carries the manga to roughly 32% of the story in its entirety (eight volumes, 4-5 chapters apiece).  At that pace, the whole series will take 60-70 manga chapters to complete.

In other words, we are quite far from the "final arc" . . . in the manga.  The anime is much closer to the end now, of course, with episode 20 of 24 airing today.  The last light novel volume (#8) is coming out in two weeks . . . in Japanese.

bla bla bla

No, it won't end soon. We are at the beginning of vol. 3 of the novel and vol. 8 is coming in March 10, 2014. LOL

Warning: Wall of text.

Edited: About Banri (ghost). He's always there indeed. Many time, he appear in the novel as he is the story teller (I don't know if the whole series is from his point of view or not). As he watch Banri(now), he has repeatly said that no one realize that he was there right behind Banri. However, Banri(now) did try find him every now and then but no use (or at least he want think so). Banri (ghost) also wonder what Banri (now) will do if he found him. Make him return or erase him entirely. At chapter 5 of vol 1, here is only where Banri(now) could spot him.

Spoiler

Therefore, I think Banri(ghost) is like a stranger to Banri(now). Banri(now) has the memories but it's like memory of another person so each time he remember, Banri(ghost) will be bring back. The only thing in vol 2 confused me is this:

Spoiler

I don't know if he lost all of his identity back there or he just can't come back because he already on the moving track by his lies.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics