Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.77 - 107votes)

H.P.Lovecraft's The Haunter of The Dark

Alt Names: alt 闇に這う者alt Yami ni Hau Mono
Author: Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Artist: Tanabe Gou
Genres: Horror HorrorMystery MysterySupernatural Supernatural
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Manga adaption of H.P.Lovecraft's "The Haunter of The Dark" and "Dagon"
Go to H.P.Lovecraft's The Haunter of The Dark Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

68 Comments

Woah woah. Sound intresting.
That cliffhanger tho. Eagerly waiting for the next chapter.

Pretty funny how common the Necronomicon turns out to be in Lovecraft's stories despite being this supposedly ultra rare tome. Somehow all the world's copies ended up in New England, apparently.

The Necronomicon itself hardly ever appears, copies and translations like this Latin version abound tho.

The Book is rare (and probably, in the mythos, doesn't even exist anymore), and very few have ever seen it. But there are translations, and translations of translations, some of which have enough transcription mistakes that some rituals don’t work as intended (the result would be unpleasant anyway so who is to say if it’s really ‘wrong’). Here’s a summary from Wikipedia:

Spoiler

By the way, anyone can change the book cover, it was actually something people did until recently with paperback editions (and even some hardcovers), by turning them into hardcovers in the style of the other books of their library. My Grandfather did that, and I still go to the same book binding place to repair some books. So having a Latin edition of a Necronomicon with a human skin cover implied the owner did that, which means they were in deep.

My nigga did you just confess to a crime? and snitched out on your grandpa to boot?

The Book is rare (and probably, in the mythos, doesn't even exist anymore), and very few have ever seen it. But there are translations, and translations of translations, some of which have enough transcription mistakes that some rituals don’t work as intended (the result would be unpleasant anyway so who is to say if it’s really ‘wrong’). Here’s a summary from Wikipedia:

Spoiler

By the way, anyone can change the book cover, it was actually something people did until recently with paperback editions (and even some hardcovers), by turning them into hardcovers in the style of the other books of their library. My Grandfather did that, and I still go to the same book binding place to repair some books. So having a Latin edition of a Necronomicon with a human skin cover implied the owner did that, which means they were in deep.

Pretty funny how common the Necronomicon turns out to be in Lovecraft's stories despite being this supposedly ultra rare tome. Somehow all the world's copies ended up in New England, apparently.

As someone who lives in New England, can confirm, it's pretty much a horror story 24/7

Here's some Lovecraftian music for anyone who wants some background music for this story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyFjXaKiJLk

Oh man, what a cliffhanger. If only there was some sort of...way to know what happens without having to wait for the next chapter to be translated. Some sort of spoiler of some sort...

...but alas, I guess I shall wait with bated breath.

why, why is this so good! 

i need more.

The sly Orientals! In the Far East, I am told, they have taken these tales and turned them into a peculiar form of illustration called 'mango'. I daresay, it is likely similar to those quaint woodblock prints I saw in the Encyclopaedia Britannica.

Isn't that the definition of translating, tho?

What he's trying to say is that, because we already have the original English text from Lovecraft, there's no need to translate ANY of the Japanese in this manga. You just need to figure out which paragraph of the original story corresponds to a panel and confirm it by knowing a word or two of Japanese, then substitute the original text in.

In reality it's not that simple because of course the adaptation doesn't include ALL the words and sentences of the original text, so some translating is still needed to figure out how much of the original text was adapted. 

Will resist urge to make an Evil Dead joke...

This series is so friggin good!

How the hell did they find Japanese words for Lovecraft

It's not actually Japanese, it's katakana. For foreign words Japanese language has their own alphabet.

I like Otis Jiry's reading of the HP lovecraft. Just putting it out there.

My favorite way to read H.P. Lovecraft's fiction is on a dark, stormy night by flickering lamplight on our front porch as thunder and lightning play across the sky. I also like to have some appropriate mood music playing in the background, such as Pink Floyd's Ummagumma album or anything by Synergy or Two Steps From Hell.

That's the most normal thing i have read from you so far, which is worrisome in itself... i guess the eldritch horrors finally took over your mind.

... just need to understand the Japanese enough to replace the English text in.

Isn't that the definition of translating, tho?

Wow, translating this must be the easiest thing ever. You don't even need to think about all the phrasing or whatnot, just need to understand the Japanese enough to replace the English text in.

If only all of my translation works are this way.

Oooohhhh. Lovecraft manga. And Ch 1 is already about Dagon! 

More! Give me more!

On a side note, I got one of these with me. It has three stories: The Hound, The Temple and The Nameless City. It cost me more than a conventional manga and had fewer pages too, but I don't regret buying it!

Dark Horse also published one of Tanabe's Lovecraft anthologies. It was in good quality from what I recall (it's in my closet). His current serialization is "At the Mountains of Madness." At the rate he's going, he'll end up drawing everything by Lovecraft.

He's my new hero and I'll follow the shit out of him then.

H.P. Lovecraft died a long time ago, back in 1937, but he left behind a pretty large collection of short stores. You should certainly check out his work, I'm pretty sure it's all public domain, so you can probably find it online pretty easy, or YouTube some audio book tapings of his work. Only issue he had is that he's pretty racist, but I suppose that was just a sad byproduct of those times.

If he's dead, how did he write this manga?

Checkmate atheists.

H.P. Lovecraft died a long time ago, back in 1937, but he left behind a pretty large collection of short stores. You should certainly check out his work, I'm pretty sure it's all public domain, so you can probably find it online pretty easy, or YouTube some audio book tapings of his work. Only issue he had is that he's pretty racist, but I suppose that was just a sad byproduct of those times.

No dude, he's a mangaka.

My favorite way to read H.P. Lovecraft's fiction is on a dark, stormy night by flickering lamplight on our front porch as thunder and lightning play across the sky. I also like to have some appropriate mood music playing in the background, such as Pink Floyd's Ummagumma album or anything by Synergy or Two Steps From Hell.

Not to disagree with anything you said, but I'm pretty sure the guy you're quoting was making a joke.

It was a joke silly.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics