Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * - (4.44 - 108votes)

Next Life

Alt Names: alt ネクストライフalt 转生奇谭alt 넥스트 라이프
Author: Aino Jin
Artist: Ichikura Tokage
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureComedy ComedyDrama DramaFantasy FantasyRomance RomanceSeinen Seinen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Yamada Takashi lost his life in the snowy mountains—that is what he thought, but he then appeared in an unknown place; another world that looked like the game he played. Moreover there are many things that he doesn't know... While puzzled, he still retains the strongest class ability and is relieved.

High rank magician, "Wise man" Marius is still living till today.
Go to Next Life Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Raws New Window garismaatti
  • 0 Replies

95 Comments

does anyone knows why he's name is MARIUS?...
i thought his name was ryuuji?... is MARIUS his in-game name?...

He took the soulstone from Tal Rasha body freeing Baal.

does anyone knows why he's name is MARIUS?...
i thought his name was ryuuji?... is MARIUS his in-game name?...

No, I mean the story was completely different.

Spoiler

Yeah, I know. He defeats the "difficult" enemy with barely a fight, then joins a group of bland survivors, where the only one that can speak to him is a personality-less pretty girl, hence the pic. That obviously won't happen in this adaption, because I assume an editor drilled into the author's skull that character interactions are more important than a volume of fictional game mechanic isekai theories. A story with no meaningful dialogue just feels lifeless.

A good editor, I guess. The dialogue was really weak and the plot was very... generic. At least in this manga adaption has a little more characterization, or gives the reader a sense of urgency, a reason to care about the characters. Reading through the WN reminded me of FBsk26Z.png

No, I mean the story was completely different.

Spoiler

It was single player game though... The developer as usual went apeshit and never made it into mmo...

Yeah that insane game where talking to other female character while there's a romancing target within your party will get you killed by it...even the main character regret playing that game instead other game that have some semblance of 'hope'

A good editor, I guess. The dialogue was really weak and the plot was very... generic. At least in this manga adaption has a little more characterization, or gives the reader a sense of urgency, a reason to care about the characters. Reading through the WN reminded me of FBsk26Z.png

Don't worry; we're going to leave you with the feudal lord who has clearly has empathy for the gentry of his land by giving priority to kill-on-sight over their general safety. Moreover, he's trying to kidnap this girl who can tame monsters. What could possibly go wrong?

Also, each time I see awful fantasy, I'm reminded of either the stupid-ass romhack by Something Awful ages ago...

24-capture_07082011_162911.jpg

Or The Eye or Argon, in which the barbarian MC fashions a dagger out of a rat pelvis, and the final boss is a blob,  which explodes into a thousand pieces, leaving nothing behind except "a dark red blotch upon the face of the earth, blotching things up." 

I tried to read the novel for this, and the story is completely different in volume 1. <.< What's going on?

I would think a beast/monster tamer would take priority over a magician (except this one since he's so OP). That skill seems fairly rare, and could be used to great effect. Even better that it works on intelligent monsters.

I tried to read the novel for this, and the story is completely different in volume 1. <.< What's going on?

You're assuming readers actually want such a thing. If they did, they'd read some normal novels instead. But they're reading light novels (or web novels in the light novel format) for a reason.

I read light novels for a good story. Proper suspension of disbelief or planning can help whether it is a light novel or a western novel. Don't look down on the medium just because there are those that don't participate in such planning. There are plenty of western novels that are just as badly planned.

Guilds were things that actually existed in the real-world medieval period, so it makes some sense that there would be some sort of organization that manages/coordinates the adventurers in fantasy medieval settings.  The quest mechanic also ensures that you don't have different groups tripping over each other to try to do the same one-off task, and ranking keeps noobs from getting in over their heads.

If not for something like that, then adventurers would all be off doing their own things, with no coordination, and no way to judge how skilled they were.

Sure, guilds existed. But guilds were a means for people who specialized in a particular occupation to collaborate to improve their circumstances. There were not guilds for odd jobs. Instead, odd jobs would be managed by individual guilds and/or government institutions. Something like an "adventurer's guild" where mercenaries could come in and find requests from everything from farming to war has only ever existed in video games, to make things easier on the developers. (And in many light novels, because they choose to just copy video games so that they don't have to expend mental effort on planning)

While they may be doing this cause is 'better' for him... still leaves a bad taste...

Of course it does. The very least they could do was let him decide for himself instead of treating him like an infant that is not judged worthy to decide his own course of action. They are looking down on him, even if they do it with good intentions.

While they may be doing this cause is 'better' for him... still leaves a bad taste...

This orc is a fool. I doubt the human city will be better for the magician as the feudal lord is only hungry for might.

does anyone knows why he's name is MARIUS??!!!
i thought his name was ryuuji???...

There is one isekai called "Kono Sekai ga Game da to Ore dake ga Shitteiru" where the MC is thrown into an mmo game he plays, only the game is absolute garbage and filled with glitches and instakill traps from asshole developers.

It was single player game though... The developer as usual went apeshit and never made it into mmo...

waiting for the plot, with " or not..

It's not groundbreaking or anything, but it seems sweet so far and the girl is drawn really prettily

That's a good one. I think his first party member is a girl who attracts enemy trains.

Yeah funny manga. Troll devs... would be nice to have this as a MMO to make kids cry.

There is one isekai called "Kono Sekai ga Game da to Ore dake ga Shitteiru" where the MC is thrown into an mmo game he plays, only the game is absolute garbage and filled with glitches and instakill traps from asshole developers.

That's a good one. I think his first party member is a girl who attracts enemy trains.

Nowadays every new manga is an Isekai. XD

Wouldn't it be a funny idea for an isekai if they were reincarnated into a world with WRPG mechanics instead?

Dialogue wheels, varied NPC's, damnable inventory management, tons of sidequests, and bizarre glitches abound.

Or if they brought JRPG mechanics over that clashed with the setting despite being so similar. Just a thought.

Ultima, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Witcher, Divinity, Wasteland...

Wouldn't it be a funny idea for an isekai if they were reincarnated into a world with WRPG mechanics instead?

Dialogue wheels, varied NPC's, damnable inventory management, tons of sidequests, and bizarre glitches abound.

Or if they brought JRPG mechanics over that clashed with the setting despite being so similar. Just a thought.

Ultima, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Witcher, Divinity, Wasteland...

Thing is that I'm not exactly sure what the new hotness is going to be after isekai. Keep in mind that most modern LNs are about escapism and self-insertion. Battle schools were popular because they appealed to the Japanese who are still bitter about school - the MCs appear to be weak, but are in fact super special because they think outside of the box and also use hard work and perseverance to come out on top. Also, the MC unwittingly gathers a harem because the audience may think that in the past, something similar may have happened to them and they don't know it.

Isekai is an extension of this self-insertion. It's basically throwing away all of the society that hates you to enter a world which they already know through Dragon Quest, and with cheats that give them a "fair" advantage. And of course they still get a harem, but in some books slavery is also legal because, hey, why spend all your effort trying to woo a woman who could just as easily cuckold you when you can buy a girl's freedom from her and have her fuck you whenever you feel like it?

Problem is that isekai is probably the zenith of this sort of self-insert fantasy. I have a hard time imagining what could be next.

well look at animes, before were mostly original, at some point just whatever manga adpatation, then visualnovels, to light novel (those battle academy), and now they adaptating webnovels (all this isekai ones), kind of going for cheaper material as the year go by, so maybe they'll start making remakes of old series, totally reinvent themselves, or just let the industry die.

Just like battle schools were big a few years ago, isekai is the new hotness these days.  It will lose favor eventually, seeing as the market is quite inundated.  Just got to sort through the good ones and keep an eye on what might be popular next. 

Thing is that I'm not exactly sure what the new hotness is going to be after isekai. Keep in mind that most modern LNs are about escapism and self-insertion. Battle schools were popular because they appealed to the Japanese who are still bitter about school - the MCs appear to be weak, but are in fact super special because they think outside of the box and also use hard work and perseverance to come out on top. Also, the MC unwittingly gathers a harem because the audience may think that in the past, something similar may have happened to them and they don't know it.

Isekai is an extension of this self-insertion. It's basically throwing away all of the society that hates you to enter a world which they already know through Dragon Quest, and with cheats that give them a "fair" advantage. And of course they still get a harem, but in some books slavery is also legal because, hey, why spend all your effort trying to woo a woman who could just as easily cuckold you when you can buy a girl's freedom from her and have her fuck you whenever you feel like it?

Problem is that isekai is probably the zenith of this sort of self-insert fantasy. I have a hard time imagining what could be next.

Just like battle schools were big a few years ago, isekai is the new hotness these days.  It will lose favor eventually, seeing as the market is quite inundated.  Just got to sort through the good ones and keep an eye on what might be popular next. 

Well, I think it's possible to be sent to a world with similar tropes, it doesn't necessarily have to be modern to fantasy; it's just the favorite. Hell, Shadowrun is Science Fiction with fantasy races awakening. And yes, Link was waterlogged. What doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense is that Marin was apparently a seagull the whole time. And Wart/Mamu from Mario 2/Doki Doki Panic was also in it. So we have another dream being in a dreamworld controlled by sentient nightmares. What? Also, a pretty funny spin on the genre was Simon the Sorcerer 2: the fantasy world doesn't play Dungeons and Dragons but rather Apartments and Accountants. It's attention to detail like that which makes stories memorable.

I always hang out and listen to the whole of their game when I play Simon the Sorcerer 2.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics