Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.67 - 140votes)

Ascendance of a Bookworm

Alt Names: alt Ascendance of a Bookwormalt Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasenalt 本好きの下剋上 ~司書になるためには手段を選んでいられません~
Author: Kazuki Miya
Artist: Suzuka
Genres: Adventure AdventureComedy ComedyDrama DramaFantasy FantasySlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Urano, a bookworm who had finally found a job as a librarian at a university, was sadly killed shortly after graduating from college. She was reborn as the daughter of a soldier in a world where the literacy rate is low and books were scarce. No matter how much she wanted to read, there were no books around. What is a bookworm to do without any books? Make them, of course. Her goal is to become a librarian! So that she may once again live surrounded by books, she must start by making them herself.

Adapted from the light novel "Honzuki no Gekokujou."
========================================
Published on Nico Nico Seiga and marked as "Shoujo" Uh, yeah, it's not just guys who like putting themselves in MC's lives in isekai
Go to Ascendance of a Bookworm Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic I read the WN, AMA. New Window RoflCat
  • 20 Replies
Topic WN/LN Translations? New Window DaoFox
  • 6 Replies
Topic Maine Is Dead New Window ConstantErasing
  • 6 Replies

286 Comments

Dunno know if this is an official video or AMV but spoilers ahead, you've been warned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSR9249yuMk

Its Christmas eve!!!!

Spoiler

No surprise there. Only this and Mushoku Tensei are isekai that is not chuni notebook in writing. Although Mushoku Tensei is very chuniis in the first volume, the author managed to avoid that latter or tone it down to managable level so it wont sabotage the story.

I chuckle at the best character list. The female character Mikoto and Maine are great protagonist but Asuna and beyond is just perfect fantasy waifu. the male protagonist are beyond pathetic, all of them are bland self insert, ecept accelerator which is a good written character and with mikoto both of them are better written character than the bland protagonist himself.

I disagree about how all but Accelerator are bland. I find Sora and Kazuma the complete opposite of a bland characters. I can see how people believe that Hachiman, Tatsuya, and Ayanokouji are bland, but I see them interesting in their own way. Maybe I'm more forgiving, but as long they're not like most characters from Smartphone, I can deal with it.

Yay, bookworm is best book in Japan and Maine is 2nd in the Female Characters category! https://myanimelist.net/news/53160693

No surprise there. Only this and Mushoku Tensei are isekai that is not chuni notebook in writing. Although Mushoku Tensei is very chuniis in the first volume, the author managed to avoid that latter or tone it down to managable level so it wont sabotage the story.

I chuckle at the best character list. The female character Mikoto and Maine are great protagonist but Asuna and beyond is just perfect fantasy waifu. the male protagonist are beyond pathetic, all of them are bland self insert, ecept accelerator which is a good written character and with mikoto both of them are better written character than the bland protagonist himself.

huh. first time i've heard that the novel is less translated than the manga. now you can't say "the manga is not like the novel" anymore then (since it's still technically behind)

Did I mention (RAW) The lattest raw version is at the same chapter of Blastron's translation and there are no other translation available. Other option is to use machine translation. The novel itself already done and my god the author wrote 700 chapters in span of 3.5 years which is a feat. She managed to avoid various pitfall that will destroy issekai genre btw and managed to create good fantasy world building. 700 chapters and its not chuni notebook level of writing is good.

Yay, bookworm is best book in Japan and Maine is 2nd in the Female Characters category! https://myanimelist.net/news/53160693

novel translation is slow, to the point surpassed by the manga adaptation (raw). I use machine translation without issue.

huh. first time i've heard that the novel is less translated than the manga. now you can't say "the manga is not like the novel" anymore then (since it's still technically behind)

For a second I thought the title read, "Take me *in* the Forest."

This is pretty interesting, is the novel translation good? I consider reading it but with pure text I tend to be less tolerant of mediocre translations.

novel translation is slow, to the point surpassed by the manga adaptation (raw). I use machine translation without issue.

I like how this manga shows how tough it is to live in a world similar to the past. Most will place their protagonist in the upper class or give them cheats so they never see how common people normally live.

I think some of that, maybe even most, comes from an idealized vision that a modern person has of life in the middle ages.  Constant work, back-breaking labor, short life-span, risk of drought/famine/starvation versus "Being one with the Earth," free of distractions, organic farming and spiritually attuned.

This is pretty interesting, is the novel translation good? I consider reading it but with pure text I tend to be less tolerant of mediocre translations.

Hmm she should be scolded for using ash to melt snow beacuse they need those ash to make soap.

I suspect that in medieval times, no matter how many uses for ashes you came up with, you always had too much ashes.

Hmm she should be scolded for using ash to melt snow beacuse they need those ash to make soap. Oh well adaptation dont have to be 100% accurate or else the manga version will end after vol 70++

I like how this manga shows how tough it is to live in a world similar to the past. Most will place their protagonist in the upper class or give them cheats so they never see how common people normally live.

this sound really really bad.

your grammar sound really really bad.

Kinda major spoiler:

Spoiler

this sound really really bad.

how weak can a 3 yr old be??? i've never seen any that weak, they're usually energetic if anything

She's actually 5 years old as stated in chapter 3 b/c she was the same age as Lutz. But her body is incredibly weak because she constantly gets fevers (most likely an autoimmune disease) unlike other children so she has never built up any stamina in her 5 years of life doing normal kid stuff and kid chores like the others. Honestly, if it wasn't for our Urano occupying her body Main would have died. Just like how Shakespeare had 3 siblings who died in childhood. Urano is practicing good hygiene and is working at strengthening Main's body which is more than what Main and Main's family was doing before.

Kinda major spoiler:

Spoiler

how weak can a 3 yr old be??? i've never seen any that weak, they're usually energetic if anything

She's actually 5 years old as stated in chapter 3 b/c she was the same age as Lutz. But her body is incredibly weak because she constantly gets fevers (most likely an autoimmune disease) unlike other children so she has never built up any stamina in her 5 years of life doing normal kid stuff and kid chores like the others. Honestly, if it wasn't for our Urano occupying her body Main would have died. Just like how Shakespeare had 3 siblings who died in childhood. Urano is practicing good hygiene and is working at strengthening Main's body which is more than what Main and Main's family was doing before.

OH man, all these 'foreshadowing'

Let's just say a lot of the things in this chapter will be repeat in different form in the future.

Which includes (kinda sorta spoiler?)

Spoiler

You're not wrong there. However, my comment was not directed towards the author of this story, but towards the comment that gunpowder and soap were simple chemistry. While for a bookworm, it would make sense for her to know tons of various trivia and information, many of the other main characters of these stories seem much less likely to know these things. At least for me, it kills the suspension of disbelief a little.

Spoiler

None of the skills/information she's displayed has been out of place for someone with the brain of a 20 something bookworm. It's been shown that even though she knows how to do some things, she doesn't have the skill for it e.g. papyrus.

You're not wrong there. However, my comment was not directed towards the author of this story, but towards the comment that gunpowder and soap were simple chemistry. While for a bookworm, it would make sense for her to know tons of various trivia and information, many of the other main characters of these stories seem much less likely to know these things. At least for me, it kills the suspension of disbelief a little.

If you look at something like Jules Verne's "The Mysterious Island", for instance, the thing about Verne's characters is that they could do amazing re-creation of technological civilization because they were near supermen--brilliant knowledgeable people with backgrounds in both science and practical engineering--and Verne made it convincing with lots of long-winded explanations of chapter and verse about how to do this stuff.  There's a strong kinship with "The Martian", actually; Verne's heroes were the kind of exceptional dudes who could "science the shit out of" their situations.
Verne wouldn't have written a story about some ignorant everyman doing this stuff, because he wasn't interested in ignorant everymen he was interested in the heroes of science! who were bringing us the future.

Spoiler

It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure Verne had at least some nods to the rare "progressive woman" in his works. Granted, he was very much affected by the spirit of the age (where the suffragete movement was still in its infancy, and most women were very much confined to "housework", or at best, rote education), but nods there were. As for the rest, well. Most of his best known works (20 000 leagues Under the Sea,From the Earth to the Moon, Around the World in 80 Days) are indeed characterised by "supermen" (WIth Captain Nemo standing out perhaps most of all) but others, specifically "Mysterious Island" but also "Journey To The Center Of The Earth" ) are not.

In East Asia, depending on training and regular use, the abacus is actually the second most efficient method after the calculator. The best abacus users can do complex multiplication and division within seconds.

i heard that highly skilled abacus users in china and japan can shotgun a calculation so fast they're like human calculators. i'd imagine that it would make for a very good oneshot in the style of yugioh ("nani? multi-column calculation?!")

Hmm, should the guy be having this much trouble with basic math? The number system seems modern. Numerals, not words, base ten, and the 0 has been invented. When were modern math equations invented?

Concept of Zero? Back in the dark age.

Base ten? Usualy the maximum number available depends on the total fingers on your hands. Even the mongols know this.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics