Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.67 - 140votes)

Ascendance of a Bookworm

Alt Names: alt Ascendance of a Bookwormalt Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasenalt 本好きの下剋上 ~司書になるためには手段を選んでいられません~
Author: Kazuki Miya
Artist: Suzuka
Genres: Adventure AdventureComedy ComedyDrama DramaFantasy FantasySlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Urano, a bookworm who had finally found a job as a librarian at a university, was sadly killed shortly after graduating from college. She was reborn as the daughter of a soldier in a world where the literacy rate is low and books were scarce. No matter how much she wanted to read, there were no books around. What is a bookworm to do without any books? Make them, of course. Her goal is to become a librarian! So that she may once again live surrounded by books, she must start by making them herself.

Adapted from the light novel "Honzuki no Gekokujou."
========================================
Published on Nico Nico Seiga and marked as "Shoujo" Uh, yeah, it's not just guys who like putting themselves in MC's lives in isekai
Go to Ascendance of a Bookworm Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic I read the WN, AMA. New Window RoflCat
  • 20 Replies
Topic WN/LN Translations? New Window DaoFox
  • 6 Replies
Topic Maine Is Dead New Window ConstantErasing
  • 6 Replies

286 Comments

MidoriKitzune
May 20 2016 04:54 PM

What a spoiled girl, I mean you don't need to go to other world to find animal butchery. There are many in Japan also in books except if she only read novel xD.

Yup ... i would have guessed she has seen one or two anatomy books. Or travel reports... but this is so sterotypical, that it's funny again xD.

"I'm a genius and read a whole libary!"

"WAHAH THEY KILL ANIMALS?"

"Dark Age's hygene is BAD?A?!?"

"Why is that sister suprised..."
"Right... if i act spoile di will get a book. Which is worth a small house... yeah logical."

> "Come on, God, why'd you have to make me a commoner?!"
The story of my life.

She seems more of a typography nut than a bookworm.

"I'll stop at nothing to become a NEET.

If there aren't any internet, I'll just scew around!"
*lol* ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

....She's going to invent the printing press isn't she?

you bet she is

*evil chuckle* Good luck making that book Maiin.

I have to say even though I can understand her desire, she isn't too likable at first, but she does start helping out her family a lot more as it goes on.  I can't wait until they introduce the "boys".

MC got serious book obsession...

what will you do if u wer ein a similar situation: no manga, no animation, no computer... just labour and labour?

MC got serious book obsession...

Of course not. This is a story about a perfectly normal average Japanese person reborn in a fantasy world who will live a perfectly ordinary medieval fantasy peasant's life with all the limitations of a perfectly ordinary medieval fantasy peasant.

Yea, but the killing of the animals and the preparation of the meat is often done away from the average person.

I don't know about japan but this is definitely not necessarily true especially outside the western world. I think it is likely she shopped only at supermarkets where everthing is wrapped in plastic.

Most of time, city people (at least in western Europe & US) don't have to butcher themselves the animals to get the meat and won't be here when a butcher will do it. We buy the meat already processed. The animals are killed and butchered on a slaughterhouse, and the guy that sell the meat is only a vendor.

But you should understand that some people can't look at animal corpses or the butchering act.
I saw Mr Chicken , Mr Rabbit and Mr Pig butchered (my family have a farm), and I hated it and cried a lot for them when I was a kid and I don't really think I was spoiled

I think it just bugs people like me who go by the principle don't eat it if you could never kill it yourself. Of course I would never try to enforce this on others (Like them preachy vegans) unless they were my own kids.

What a spoiled girl, I mean you don't need to go to other world to find animal butchery. There are many in Japan also in books except if she only read novel xD.

Yea, but the killing of the animals and the preparation of the meat is often done away from the average person. Sure, you could find places where they will do it in front of you, but you are unlikely to have seen it if you didn't actively seek it.

Most of time, city people (at least in western Europe & US) don't have to butcher themselves  the animals to get the meat and won't be here when a butcher will do it. We buy the meat already processed. The animals are killed and butchered on a slaughterhouse, and the guy that sell the meat is only a vendor.

But you should understand that some people can't look at animal corpses or the butchering act.

I saw Mr Chicken , Mr Rabbit and Mr Pig butchered (my family have a farm), and I hated it and cried a lot for them when I was a kid and I don't really think I was spoiled

Man, all these cute chibi expressions...

Spoiler

Was it explained that the original girl died and the MC took over? To me, it looks more like they merged but because the original was just a sickly little kid, she didn't have much of her personality established and the MC became the dominant one. 

She did died because her sickness and the MC took over her body.

Steal that book, little girl. You know you want to......

Awesome! A new chapter! I was losing hope.
Really want to see where they are going with this setting.

MidoriKitzune
May 19 2016 08:34 PM

Now struggle comes.

Makeing paper isnt easy.

Makeing ink even less.

Makeing a book binding too.

Haha, i learned how to make ink based on minerals at grade school. Duo our culutral time at the museum...

Heck i can still remember the old bookpages we read.

And how foreigen "Old german" sounds and looks.

Like a complete different langauge.

Good Luck, non OP MC Girl.

God Speed.

And hope that the Nobles wont simply kill you off, for being not only a simple commoner. Which they want.

For a chapter named "Books Are Unattainable"

Spoiler

This series is really interesting. I dont know if magic will be involved, but i have been looking for an reincarnation/world travel story that has nothing to do with magic.

CHAPTER!!! woohoo :)

this story just seems like lots of potential fun :3

Was it explained that the original girl died and the MC took over? To me, it looks more like they merged but because the original was just a sickly little kid, she didn't have much of her personality established and the MC became the dominant one. 

I find this odd - unlike other reincarnation stories that I'm reading - this MC is replacing a prior character (instead of others, where they are an entirely new character within themselves).

This happens in Tsuyokute New Saga, and it also happens in another famous reincarnation story, (but not revealed until towards the end of the series that this happened) but I will not reveal the name so as not to spoil it for readers of that series. I feel like there are some other series that do the same, but I cannot bring them to mind.

Apparently did not survive the fever. At the same time, the fever awakened her "former" conciousness right as the current one was about to die.

yup, the original little girl died.

so sad... poor little girl in a shitty world where no one have education, possibly no doctors either besides only for the "royalties".

And yes, at first I thought it was going to be a super cute adventure of a little girl being reborn in a new world and start to work on Books.

Turns out we got a "replacement" girl that ends up on a shitty world...

How the hells is she even going to write books if no one in that world besides the Royalties knows the language?... Is she going to go steal some Royal Books and learn the language so she can use them to write books?...

Feels like this is going to be some sort of drama  sad struggle adventure in a shitty world instead of the cute little girl having fun writing book adventure.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics