Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.71 - 562votes)

Demi-chan wa Kataritai

Alt Names: alt 亚人酱有话要说alt 亜人ちゃんは語りたいalt Demi-chan Konuşmak İstiyoralt 데미는 이야기하고 싶어alt Interviews With Monster Girlsalt לדמי-צאן יש משהו לאמר
Author: Petosu
Artist: Petosu
Genres: Award Winning Award WinningComedy ComedySchool Life School LifeSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of LifeSupernatural Supernatural
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Succubus, Dullahan and Vampire. They are known as Ajin, or "demi"s and are slightly different than the average human. They have lived alongside humans for ages under persecution. However, in recent years, they have become accepted as members of society. This manga follows a high school biology teacher who has a great interest in demis and his interaction with the various demis in his school, each with their own cute problems.

Won 2nd place in the DaVinchi x NicoNico Tsugi ni Kuru 2016 Manga Awards.
Go to Demi-chan wa Kataritai Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Who would you take as a grilfriend? New Window PieceOfSchmittGames
  • 17 Replies
Topic Looking for another manga with the same kind of plot New Window PieceOfSchmittGames
  • 3 Replies
Topic So, this is getting an anime. thoughts? New Window PieceOfSchmittGames
  • 1 Replies

863 Comments

I feel like this is literally what Schrodinger was making fun of in his "cat in a box" thought experiment.

It is. The whole point of the cat in a box is that having a cat be both alive and dead is ludicrous, therefore the idea of waveform collapse is ludicrous. (And the obvious conclusion is the "many worlds" theory, in which the waveforms do not actually collapse, but in which every possible value simultaneously exists in parallel. The problem is that people who push the woo-woo element hear "many worlds" and think "oh, so we can travel to these alternate universes" when the whole point is that no you can't do that. If it were possible to travel to a universe with a particular set of outcomes, then necessarily there would be, for every universe, another universe in which someone has devised a machine which sends things to a point in that universe -- and, moreover, there would be a version of that universe for every point in space and time in the target universe. Even the "many worlds" versions of the target universe which manage to escape would then have new coordinates and be a target under those new coordinates. Therefore: if it were possible to travel to alternate universes, everyone in the world would be crushed to death by lead weights dropped into our world from an alternate universe as a test of inter-dimensional travel. This has not happened, therefore it is not possible to travel into another of the "many worlds" universes.)

that moment where the Machi in sensei minds, change from a demi girl to turn into normal woman, is she in 1st place or not xd.

Ahh that was disappointing. The standard woo-woo bastardization of quantum mechanics. It always hurts more coming from a scientist character too.

the point there is him explaining to non physicist, and most of all a student, why wouldn't he do that? would you explain in detail to only get a "what?" or would you try to make her understand in a more simple way and get her interested?? 

A flight with a dullahan's head and a pill size gps transmitter could indeed be science fun.  She could be used to transport small items in a blink but short of some unethical surgery, retrieving them would be a bit messy.

I feel like this is literally what Schrodinger was making fun of in his "cat in a box" thought experiment.

Eh his point covers it right. He doesn't go into the double slit experiment, but if a person wants to understand even the most basic of basics about quantum physics, then this sums it up sufficiently. He doesn't spend time talking about the decoherence, but it's just enough to get the potential scientist reader interested and gives them a potential starting point. 
I'm personally not gonna hold it against the manga because the point in the chapter ebbs from understanding the how and why and ultimately gets at the character development of machi that the arc was going for in the first place. 
To me then, that's a clever way of going about it and also shows a number of dynamics:
Accepting her as she is.
Her brilliance going from "Well I'm just doing this to answer questions" to "I... actually might want to become a scientist" level. With a goal and dream in life being achieved.
And so on. 
For that, I give this manga much much higher ratings now because it dared to wander into this bit of territory.

It likely doesn't. The basic physics required for most science and engineering studies only covers basic mechanics, electricity, and magnetism. Quantum physics and other more advanced topics occur in classes at least one level higher than those two.

As a physicist, i concur.

At least at my institution the fields which biologists have to touch upon do not extend further than EM, and even that is pretty basic (when seen from a physicsit's point of view).

Heck, even our nanotech guys are not required to sit a full course of QM - though quite a few do try to.

Ahh that was disappointing. The standard woo-woo bastardization of quantum mechanics. It always hurts more coming from a scientist character too.

Seriously, though, I understand the limitations: I'm sure scientists of any given field would make similar bastardizations, oversimplifications and mistakes when dealing with a field that isn't theirs.

Err, biology teacher who goes "Woah" at the description of a very basic quantum paradox explanation? I'm pretty sure, that even if he is just BSc in Biology, the required physics level still covers basic quantum physics.

It likely doesn't. The basic physics required for most science and engineering studies only covers basic mechanics, electricity, and magnetism. Quantum physics and other more advanced topics occur in classes at least one level higher than those two.

Okay, I get some of the reasons a Dullahan might want to be "normal", but at the same time I feel like there have to be some instances where being a Dullahan has helped Macchi or otherwise enriched her life.  A big part of me says she's fine the way she is.  

Yet, I've heard a faction of deaf people feel like they don't need to hear, that being deaf isn't a disability. As someone who can hear, I severely disagree, but I'm biased, having never really had to live with being deaf.  I feel like being a Dullahan might be something to enjoy and celebrate, but realistically speaking it would probably be quite inconvenient. This situation has me "hmmm"-ing harder than I expected.

Realistic musings aside, I'm idly wondering what would happen if 1) Macchi suspended a GPS receiver in her neck, and 2) she underwent an endoscopic tracheotomy.  

Err, biology teacher who goes "Woah" at the description of a very basic quantum paradox explanation? I'm pretty sure, that even if he is just BSc in Biology, the required physics level still covers basic quantum physics.

So that's what he was talking about?! I thought it was something about Doraemon's dokodemo door or whatever.

Lol, science has shown that it really isn't our imagination.  Takahashi-sensei really is ripped and becoming buffer by the moment.

The "wormhole" connecting her body and head.

Just because there is nothing observable rtansporting her blood, it still would make it to her head and back without the skin being there to stop it.

Yes, I am thinking with portals.

If the portals were 2D, that would work. They'd have to be two-sided, though, so that anything touching her head stump from the outside goes through the wormhole and pops out of her neck stump instead.  That doesn't seem to happen; otherwise we'd see fingers sticking out of her neck flame whenever someone holds her head the wrong way.

The mouths of a real wormhole are 3D spaces, so blood leaving the wormhole could travel in any direction; some of it would go back down into her blood vessels, but the rest would still spray out of her stumps, unless they were sealed off with skin or something else waterproof.

Serious question: wouldn't a hidden space theory makes more sense than a wormhole theory? 'Cause they mention that she still has a neck therefore it must be in another space or dimension. But a wormhole tend to go from point A to B, not hiding matter to another space.

Nope, a "real-world" wormhole would have to involve a certain amount of hidden space.  General relativity doesn't allow a direct, instant connection from point A to point B, because that would require an infinitely sharp curvature in spacetime.  The wormhole has to have at least some internal "length", even if it's much shorter than the distance from A to B through normal space.

So, if Macchi's neck functions as a wormhole, they get FTL travel (of small objects) and communication.

FTL implies either violation of causality (which is the same as saying future-to-past time travel) or the existence of a privileged reference frame (which breaks even more laws of physics, i.e. the laws of physics are no longer invariant under every reference frame).

No wonder why the physicist is so excited.

Hey NNescio, I see you lurk around other than danbooru.

So what do you think? Any theories behind Macchi's neck? I believe that it's just hidden space we can't observe and not a wormhole. Another theory is entanglement, but who knows. I want to hear you ideas.

So, if Macchi's neck functions as a wormhole, they get FTL travel (of small objects) and communication.

FTL implies either violation of causality (which is the same as saying future-to-past time travel) or the existence of a privileged reference frame (which breaks even more laws of physics, i.e. the laws of physics are no longer invariant under every reference frame).

No wonder why the physicist is so excited.

Just because there is nothing observable rtansporting her blood, it still would make it to her head and back without the skin being there to stop it.

Doesn't that make it more gross than simply covered by skin tho?

We've already seen that the flame on her neck is intangible, though.  Something's gotta keep her stumps from spraying blood all over the place; if not skin, then what?

My first impression of the anime is also very good. All of the girls' facial expressions in the manga are captured perfectly, and the animators and storyboarders took great pains to study and implement details. All the additions are little details that enhance the story and the emotional impact. Most notable are:

Spoiler

It's kinda unbelievable at first with how good the overall quality of the anime is (seeing who the studio is... i'm sorry for doubting you A-1), it's almost like they involved the mangaka himself deeply with the anime production, so they knows exactly what to show that couldn't be shown well in manga form before.

Vampire a best!

A BEST!

Serious question: wouldn't a hidden space theory makes more sense than a wormhole theory? 'Cause they mention that she still has a neck therefore it must be in another space or dimension. But a wormhole tend to go from point A to B, not hiding matter to another space.

My first impression of the anime is also very good. All of the girls' facial expressions in the manga are captured perfectly, and the animators and storyboarders took great pains to study and implement details. All the additions are little details that enhance the story and the emotional impact. Most notable are:

- Sakki is not oblivious to Ironman's initial stalkerish behavior and is really ambivalent to it, unlike in the manga. The anime also addresses an interesting detail about succubus power that the manga talks about but doesn't really show, which is that Sakki is very aware of her effect area and literally runs circles around males the exact radius of that effect range. I really like that joke for some reason.

- Macchi NEEDS HER HANDS to emulate normal head gestures. The manga doesn't really show this, but you can tell that the animators really thought things through and implemented this detail painstakingly. Until I saw Macchi nod in the anime, this never even occurred to me.

- Hikari's shining personality really shines through in her small talk. In the manga there's not enough space to convey it, but the anime really fills in her scenes with warm, spirited dialogue.

- Hikari approaching Macchi (and its effect on Macchi) is done much better in the anime than in the manga. You really get an idea why the girls congregate around Hikari.

- Oh, also, the normal girls' reaction and discomfort when Macchi talks about her condition. Their discomfort is very palpable and you get the sense that it's similar to how some people find it difficult to talk about disabilities (or - let's face it - horrific disfigurement).

Overall, the anime adaptation is surprisingly top notch, true to the source, and high quality. The animators really captured what makes Demi-chan tick.

just watched the first episode of the anime today. needless to say, i'm deeply impressed. great animation quality. the artstyle's cleaner as previewed before but it still stays true to the author's from the start till the end. the seiyuu choice also fits very nicely, especially archer/junichi suwabe as ironman-sensei and yoko hikasa as sakki. i couldn't ask for any better.

OH WTF, IT'S COVERED WITH SKIN?

JUST SAY MYSTICAL FIRE OR SOMETHING. THAT'S JUST GOING TO GIVE ME NIGHTMARES OTHERWISE.

We've already seen that the flame on her neck is intangible, though.  Something's gotta keep her stumps from spraying blood all over the place; if not skin, then what?

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics