Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * - (3.97 - 105votes)

RWBY

Alt Names: alt Rubyalt RWBY
Author: Monty Oum & Rooster Teeth Productions
Artist: Miwa Shirow
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureFantasy FantasySci-fi Sci-fiSeinen Seinen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: The future-fantasy world of Remnant is filled with ravenous monsters, treacherous terrain, and more villains than you can shake a sniper-scythe at. Fortunately, Beacon Academy is training Huntsmen and Huntresses to battle the evils of the world, and Ruby, Weiss, Blake, and Yang are ready for their first day of class.
Go to RWBY Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic RWBY anime has good plot and character development, not about the fight scenes New Window truepurple
  • 12 Replies
Topic Viz set to publish English release New Window Jing2487
  • 0 Replies
Topic Latest chapter discussion thread New Window themantarays
  • 2 Replies

117 Comments

Eh... I kinda hoped for more action, seeing as how the selling point of RWBY is the unique fighting scenes, as well as the mangaka's specialty. I'm pretty sure if you're reading this, then you already know the background, history, etc. of RWBY, so all that dialogue isn't absolutely necessary. Just some classic Dogs/Bullets and Carnage/RWBY action scenes would have awesome.

Most of them, probably, but things like powerpuff girl also has a Japanese adaptation, and many more, even though I'm not sure about the reception including this series mmm...

It maybe popular for some certain group of fans but definitely not globally popular in Japan mmm...

Both Mx0 and Psyren can't be said as commercially unsuccessful while they have 10+ volumes, but surely they're not that successful for manga published in Shounen Jump mmm...

Wasn't it because there wasn't enough support for Mx0 that it was cut off early? The ending was hugely rushed because of that, if memory serves.

:3

What a nice surprise. My sleep shall be delayed, once again, for the greater good.

The art is great, very dynamic and fluid, my only gripe is the raw quality... It looks scanned on a rather low resolution, kind of pixelated and blurry/dirty especially on the black and white parts...

Most of those are commissioned by Marvel or whatever company to help drum up some interest for their product in Japan. Usually these adaptions garner little interest and are commercial failures.

If RWBY got an adaption because the magazine wanted it there and thought it would actually sell, then that is incredibly rare.

Most of them, probably, but things like powerpuff girl also has a Japanese adaptation, and many more, even though I'm not sure about the reception including this series mmm...

It maybe popular for some certain group of fans but definitely not globally popular in Japan mmm...

There are many mangas that were interesting that weren't commercially successful. Mx0, Psyren, etc. It's hard to see how RWBY can be any more successful than those.

Both Mx0 and Psyren can't be said as commercially unsuccessful while they have 10+ volumes, but surely they're not that successful for manga published in Shounen Jump mmm...

Why? It's really simple: it's interesting.
As Hisashi Sasaki, Editor-in-Chief from Bakuman (WSJ) would say: "Manga just needs to be interesting. If it's interesting, it will get serialized". And it applies for anime and most other medias as well.
People don't crave only for what's high quality, and mostly don't even care for some high quality meal, many times we crave for a simple greasy fatty burger because it's good. Simple as that.

There are many mangas that were interesting that weren't commercially successful. Mx0, Psyren, etc. It's hard to see how RWBY can be any more successful than those.

There are so many manga adaptation for western works, for example spiderman mmm...
But Rwby is surely quite popular in Japan as far as I know mmm...

Most of those are commissioned by Marvel or whatever company to help drum up some interest for their product in Japan. Usually these adaptions garner little interest and are commercial failures.

If RWBY got an adaption because the magazine wanted it there and thought it would actually sell, then that is incredibly rare.

I've never had a problem with RWBY; it's not very good plotwise, voice acting (for the English version) or even animation, but everyone came in watching it for the fights, which the show doesn't fail to deliver on. That's fine, not for me, but fine.

But if it's one thing that baffles me its how much Japan loves it. I don't get it. Many American animation series have tried to hard to break the code and penetrate their market and failed, yet this stuff is immensely popular there.

It can't just be the novelty of a Western waifu show done purely in CGI by a team of like 8 people right? There has to be a bigger reason that I'm not seeing.

Not saying it's a bad thing, it's just odd.

Why? It's really simple: it's interesting.
As Hisashi Sasaki, Editor-in-Chief from Bakuman (WSJ) would say: "Manga just needs to be interesting. If it's interesting, it will get serialized". And it applies for anime and most other medias as well.
People don't crave only for what's high quality, and mostly don't even care for some high quality meal, many times we crave for a simple greasy fatty burger because it's good. Simple as that.

.....How did this spawn a manga and it isn't even made in japan...?

I didn't know the Japanese loved this so much...o_o

(i'm also a big rwby fan)

And oh my god the art is by shiro miwa. His art is amazing(dogs bullets and carnage ftw)

Though I don't know if i can commit to reading it though, it feels kinds different from the original(for obvious reasons xD)

There are so many manga adaptation for western works, for example spiderman mmm...
But Rwby is surely quite popular in Japan as far as I know mmm...

Miwa Shirow for this? Holy fuck.

I love Miwa Shirow's art style because he's the one who made this.

Spoiler

I've never had a problem with RWBY; it's not very good plotwise, voice acting (for the English version) or even animation, but everyone came in watching it for the fights, which the show doesn't fail to deliver on. That's fine, not for me, but fine.

But if it's one thing that baffles me its how much Japan loves it. I don't get it. Many American animation series have tried to hard to break the code and penetrate their market and failed, yet this stuff is immensely popular there.

It can't just be the novelty of a Western waifu show done purely in CGI by a team of like 8 people right? There has to be a bigger reason that I'm not seeing.

Its not hard, you just need moe and some good shipping material and your set. Screw the plot.

Weak start, they really should have aimed for a double-length debut. Still, the art is good, so definitely followed.

Part of me figures that Japan's just desperate for combat that doesn't involve intersecting still-frames. Granted, things are far better than they used to be, but interesting combat is generally the first thing to get canned in the budget.

I respect all that Monty Oum has done and the stuff he created, but it should be evident to all that RWBY is probably the most weeaboo thing to have been produced in the past decade.

THANK YOU. 

It really is. It's the ideal territory for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP5lz2CYNR4

Nonetheless, people will like what they like and that's fine. I used to dig Red vs Blue back when they were first starting out. This gives me more weeb vibes than Naruto did at it's worst, I have a lot of respect for that guy as well considering he started all this himself, but still; this is a fanseries, and that's as far as it should go.

*Hoping I don't get blammed from the site for this, probably will; since weeaboo is apparently derogatory*

Instant fallow
Instant fallow

I didn't know the Japanese loved this so much...o_o)

If Japan can have magazine(s) filled with adaptations of harlequin romance with incredibly bad art they surely can have some adaptation for this.

And oh my god the art is by shiro miwa. His art is amazing(dogs bullets and carnage ftw)

Though I don't know if i can commit to reading it though, it feels kinds different from the original(for obvious reasons xD)

were you not aware that they love RWBY so much that they're getting a legit Japanese Dub with rather high tier VAs?

And oh my god the art is by shiro miwa senpai. His art is amazing(dogs bullets and carnage ftw)

But if it's one thing that baffles me its how much Japan loves it. I don't get it. Many American animation series have tried hard to break the code and penetrate their market and failed, yet this stuff is immensely popular there.

I really want this to succeed, since I'm a big fan of the Monty Oum action scenes (and I lol at the gags), but I have to admit I'm not really impressed by the first chapter.  If they're going for a supplement (i.e., we 'know' them already because we've seen the show) then we are WAY past this in the story.  If this is a total reboot, then this skipped a lot of the initial character development, thin though it may have originally been.  We're just being thrust into this world with these characters, no mention of how they relate to each other, and to top it off half the chapter's taken up by pointless Dust discussion.  Same fate that a lot of anime-to-manga conversions seem to face... le sigh.

I have never seen a anime spawn a comic, never ever.

I can name at least twenty off the top of my head. There are/were entire magazines devoted just to anime tie-ins, and most of them get both a main manga and spinoffs. Charlotte, Evangelion, six or so Code Geass, four or five Valvrave, whatever that new one with character designs by the Non Non Biyori author is called, etc.

I have never seen a anime spawn a comic, never ever. Now I have, and it was from a western one at that. 

This first chapter is... true they don't talk about what dust actually is in the anime, but for the whole chapter to be about such vagary is boring.

And they already resolved the bully issue way back.

Miwa Shirou? That's pretty dang high profile.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics