Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.63 - 86votes)

The Cradle of the Sea

Alt Names: alt Le Berceau Des Mersalt Umi no Cradlealt 海のクレイドル
Author: Nagano Mei
Artist: Nagano Mei
Genres: Adventure AdventureDrama DramaGender Bender Gender BenderHistorical HistoricalSeinen Seinen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: From Antisense:
Set sail in this shipboard drama set in the Age of Exploration from amazing mangaka Nagano Mei. The time is the Industrial Revolution, the location England. Monica, a young girl living in the slums, was making a good living as the nursemaid of Evan, a young child of a wealthy household. But when her master's ship goes missing, she's cut loose. A year later, while visiting his coffin, she happens to see Evan, the child she once took care of. She decides to abduct him and take him away with her on a ship. And then...?!
Go to The Cradle of the Sea Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

99 Comments

Lighting a match in a tiny, enclosed wooden space when the weather is turning bad, possibly making the ship rock a lot? Not the best idea....

How the hell is that cap supposed to be a disguise? Is keeping her long hair hidden that important? This is a 19th Century British ship, a good chunk of the sailors would have longer hair than her. Just the way she's dressing would do it, since she could pass for a teenage boy, and no one would expect to see a woman manning a ship anyways.

Never have I thought lace gloves looked as creepy

Also Neal, is neat freak really the right word? Well I guess we don't know much about him yet but I feel like he was begging me to call him out as a vain narcissist. Does it even make sense for a neat freak to be working on a ship out at sea? 

Being a neat freak is positively useful on a ship out at sea.  A place for everything, and everything in its place . . . so that something improperly stored doesn't clock you in the head when the ship rolls, or an uncoiled rope snag your feet and send you to a watery grave.  Even being a clean freak about the ship has its uses.  For a wooden ship, the line between "keeping it clean" and "proper maintenance" is very blurry.  That's why terms like "ship shape", "run a tight ship" etc.

Being a dandy, on the other hand, is not particularly useful.

Thank you for doing so much work on this! I'm following with great interest. 

Never have I thought lace gloves looked as creepy

Also Neal, is neat freak really the right word? Well I guess we don't know much about him yet but I feel like he was begging me to call him out as a vain narcissist. Does it even make sense for a neat freak to be working on a ship out at sea? 

Thanks for the update!

fascinating, i find myself wanting for more

Her arts are really beautiful! And the ship finally goes abroad...

I'm mostly interested in how all these characters seem to have connections to one another. Those little one page illustration of things happening tangential to the story make the network of relationships a lot more complex than I thought.

I appreciate the little note the author wrote about himself. =D It's nice to know how the mangaka got started. I'd love to see this published in english some day. Thanks Antisense!

I actually quite like the novel page what happened after each chapter. That's pretty cool.

I didn't realize when we started this that I'd be drooling over illustrations of pipes and steam gauges.

Spoiler

This is good so far, looking forward to more!! Thanks for translating!

I feel like this is going to be amazing, is it a monthly?

We're going to try and release it monthly yes. :) It's up to 3 volumes so far and my husband has already translated chapter 5 a few weeks ago. He still needs to translate the extra pages which talks about some stuff and has pretty art. We plan to release it later this month and start volume 2 next month once I buy the volume.

fuuuaaaaaaaaa

i found a gem!

Does Evan remember her?

Looks like it. So far the releases have been consistent in that manner. 

The tale of struggle of a maid and protecting her master's child and that amazing art.

This is too good to pass up.

This is too glorious to be missed

Monice is too awesome, Evans is so cute, the settings is magnifique and the plot seems interesting 
I love every bits of it.... u 3 u)

Yea, rock that child!

Spoiler

This manga somewhat reminds me of "The bride of the ancient magus", most likely because of the fairy tale-esque style. There also seems to be a bit of "Around the world in 80 days" sprinkled onto it, though it might just be my interpretation of the story thus far. All in all an interesting piece of work.

It could turn into a great little adventure if it stops with all the coincidences'n stuff. :D Chapter 3 was already pretty light on 'em and I guess that would work out.

Because there's so much sound effects in this series I wanted to know what the readers prefer. Should I just:

1. Avoid all sfx and not translate them.

2. Keep placing the sfx translation that are too hard to clean to the side of the panel. (What I generally do.)

3. Place the sfx translation next to the Japanese sfx. (An example can be seen on the spread page in chapter 3)

Thanks!

Nr.3 would be great, 2 would be totally fine too! o/ No need to overwork yourself just for a couple of sfx.

Because there's so much sound effects in this series I wanted to know what the readers prefer. Should I just:

1. Avoid all sfx and not translate them.

2. Keep placing the sfx translation that are too hard to clean to the side of the panel. (What I generally do.)

3. Place the sfx translation next to the Japanese sfx. (An example can be seen on the spread page in chapter 3)

Thanks!

numba 3. Numba 2 for sfx like grabbing, throwing, action sfx?, 

Hmmm, I think what's most interesting about this manga is that I have no idea where its gonna go.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics