Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.71 - 415votes)

A Demotion Isn't That Bad

Alt Names: alt 左遷も悪くないalt Sasen mo Warukunai
Author: Kirishima Maruha
Artist: Kuku Hayate
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaRomance RomanceSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Ulises, a brilliant but inflexible soldier, is shunned by the top brass and demoted to a station in a rural area where he meets his new wife Lea. The demotion that should've been a terrible thing turns into a blessing as Lea and her siblings teach the boorish Ulises about family and love. A soothing daily life fantasy about a silent military man and a clumsy new wife.

Original webcomic: http://www.alphapolis.co.jp/manga/viewOpening/144000110
Go to A Demotion Isn't That Bad Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

282 Comments

i like how balanced the MC is. He's not too stiff or "heartless", but he doesn't romanticize his feeling towards the heroine too much. So it ends up him knowing how he feels yet doesn't understand it, and the delivery is light enough that there's some emotion in it and you'll smile at it, but it doesn't end up as an overused clueless MC "gag".

-  -a If it's Demicas (or something like that), isn't he a Monk?

Yeah, he's a Monk.

poolof probably thought Demiqas was a Berserker because of his rough attitude.

That sneeze at the end made the chapter.
This is sweet bliss. Has all the good stuff
I appreciate that the author is acknowledging how messed up it is for a girl with her own life and aspirations to suddenly get married off to some random military dude just because he's been shuttled off to the boonies. I appreciate it even more that they're making it the very first point of major emotional conflict and development for the story and the characters. Good stuff. This premise could've been way creepier had the author been too fixated on the protagonist, but there's a good balance so far between his viewpoint and Lea's position as the actual central character of the story.

"Aren't you worried she's in another relationship?"

Spoiler

Thanks for the translation. Very enjoyable.

I'm having mixed feelings about the bottom left panel on page 20 of chapter 4.

Is this manga/webcomic based on a novel? That might explain the rough style.

The summary says it's an original web comic.  Part of the problem with the scanlation seems to be that the original webcomic pages are only 500x711 (probably meant to be read on a smartphone).  They're blowing them up (page images in this scanlation are 844x1200) and they look pixelated as a result.

reminds of that guy in Log Horizon anime, that Berserker who got married (although his characteristics are way opposite of the manga's MC). As they say, it takes a Beauty to tame the Beast...

-  -a If it's Demicas (or something like that), isn't he a Monk?

reminds of that guy in Log Horizon anime, that Berserker who got married (although his characteristics are way opposite of the manga's MC). As they say, it takes a Beauty to tame the Beast...

This, this, this, how can a married life could be so sweet! Follow!

I'm having mixed feeling about the illustrator 

I'm having mixed feelings about the bottom left panel on page 20 of chapter 4.

Is this manga/webcomic based on a novel? That might explain the rough style.

I'm having mixed feeling about the illustrator 

I have to say I like the MC's attitude. He's pretty clear-headed and brusque sort of guy, yet at the same time doesn't care about the little things. Perhaps it's the attitude of a soldier, but it's a nice contrast to your average Shounen or even Seinen MC.

I weep with joy over the beautiful art - LOVE IT!!!!

*In depth examination of firearm utilization, cavalry use, real world analogs, and "let them taste our Bayonet*

I love it when other people with a historical perspective on military tactics comes out to examine their capabilities. I shortened your quote to a paraphrase just because I wanted you to know that I saw and really liked your examination. Their primary training routines for swords also seems to indicate that this would be an early firearm utilization period. 1500-1600 or so at best. 

For mountainous terrain, I would believe that this nation would be archery dependent as well as a good mountain range allows for boxing and flanking at levels not usually seen until woodland and urban environments. 

Good analysis!

Eh, even as late as the Napoleonic Wars when Firearms were well established and the mainstay of battles the Melee was still really important due to the poor accuracy of the Guns themselves.  Early and Mid Firearm Tactics generally revolved around a few rounds of fire to soften the target, and then a charge.  Armor didn't make a comeback because it can't really protect against guns, and the weight would slow you down when trying to charge, meaning your opponents have more time to try to shoot you.

Honestly the biggest Military Divergence I see in this is that these armies don't seem to have figured out that you can take a big ass knife, stick it on the end of your gun, and wind up with a really awesomely effective gun-spear; IE The Bayonet.

That suggests this world never got quite so Spear Focused as ours.  I suppose a possible explanation is that, since this country is Not-Switzerland (I DIDN'T FORGET THAT AUTHOR!!), they are likely extremely mountainous, which This Map also supports.  In such a situation the usefulness of Cavalry is greatly diminished, which then also means that Spears don't have quite the same level of importance, having been robbed of their best target.

Of course historically Switzerland was actually really Spear/Halberd focused, but that was primarily because of Cost, Spears are cheaper than Swords, and because their Armies roamed around fighting for other people, especially His Popiness.  If this army is Sword focused that suggests the country is not just rich in terms of wealth, but probably also rich in terms of Iron Deposits, which in turn explains why they are a target of expansion by neighboring Not-France.  

Alternatively, it could just be cool. ;)

Land army sword fight with no armour.

If it was naval battles that's understandable but land army? There are rifles (muskets would have fist sized diameter on the gun), but not in sufficient quantities if they'd still have to rely on swordsmen to fight.

Oh well, it's not the main point of the plot.

I need my Baltzar ;_;

Ya maaaan poor Emiliano :'( Dunno why I really sympathized with him... Maybe because he quite manly faced Ulises. Even the part when

Spoiler

given most of he thing about this manga is good art is simply too lacking it hurts the whole feel of the story,author really needs to work on it ,and that to seriously,though after all said and done MC is kinda cool

Ulises always looks cool IMHO, on the other hand I found many times Lea's face seems... hmm...

From my own experience: yes, the smell are quite strong since it's mixed with "other" fluids, but not the taste since I'm not a vampire :)

That's why many countries that still valued virginity had a culture to put some flower / burn some incense in new wedding bed

As someone used to blood's taste and smell, I could smell it just from entering a room. I once had a nosebleed during sleep, didn't notice it until 3 days later when I picked up the scent from under the pillow. And it wasn't even fresh blood or a lot of it.

Is this me or the drawing quality on chapter 1-2 is better than chapter 3?

From my own experience: yes, the smell are quite strong since it's mixed with "other" fluids, but not the taste since I'm not a vampire :)

That's why many countries that still valued virginity had a culture to put some flower / burn some incense in new wedding bed

internet knowledge +1

sexual knowledge +1

useless knowledge +1

self loathing forever alone +1

Just read chapter 3, I do agree that the MC is cool as fuck, idk about handsome though mmm...

Is this me or the drawing quality on chapter 1-2 is better than chapter 3?

that chapter make me wondered, im sure not many people can answer this, but is it really true? when you deflowered a girl , the blood smell can be smell literally?

like other kind of wound if you have on your body, like a mouth or lips wound, or a hand or body wound, and when the blood spill and flow, you can smell and taste the blood, 

so if you deflower a virgin girl, will her blood smell like any other blood? or would it be just a red fluid show?

Spoiler

Baby steps Captain. Baby steps.

Give your wife something worth smiling about, learn more about her. After a while, home becomes more of a feeling than it does a place.

Just read chapter 3, I do agree that the MC is cool as fuck, idk about handsome though mmm...

mc is a stud ,  but i bet they gonna pull some sort of "otoyomegatari"'s plot when they started to get comfy and lovey dovey with each other suddenly wife have to be pull back to her family and canceling this marriage out of various reason, then for the first time of his life as mc , he gotta fight to save his marriage and his wife,

he did said he didnt "bribed" the politician well enough

thats a plot material there

PS 

that chapter make me wondered, im sure not many people can answer this, but is it really true? when you deflowered a girl , the blood smell can be smell literally?

like other kind of wound if you have on your body, like a mouth or lips wound, or a hand or body wound, and when the blood spill and flow, you can smell and taste the blood, 

so if you deflower a virgin girl, will her blood smell like any other blood? or would it be just a red fluid show?

call me gay i don't care, but MC is handsome

(first time in my life i said this, i swear to God)

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics