Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.71 - 415votes)

A Demotion Isn't That Bad

Alt Names: alt 左遷も悪くないalt Sasen mo Warukunai
Author: Kirishima Maruha
Artist: Kuku Hayate
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaRomance RomanceSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Ulises, a brilliant but inflexible soldier, is shunned by the top brass and demoted to a station in a rural area where he meets his new wife Lea. The demotion that should've been a terrible thing turns into a blessing as Lea and her siblings teach the boorish Ulises about family and love. A soothing daily life fantasy about a silent military man and a clumsy new wife.

Original webcomic: http://www.alphapolis.co.jp/manga/viewOpening/144000110
Go to A Demotion Isn't That Bad Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

282 Comments

Anyone know of other good "heartwarming" series like this, that might not be so known?

Flufffffyyyy

nuff said :>

this series is just waaay too cute for the heart <3

How to be a Family Man 101: Save your future father-in-law from certain death. Good to know for the next time I save an old man from dying.
OMFG. I have so much respect for Ulises now.

It's a technique used in some companies to put troublesome people out of the way without firing them or make them resign so they can't get pension or severance pay. Promoted to Department Chief of Paper archives, in the basement that no one really go to and managing stacks of paper that are so out of date that no one would ever ask for. Just log in and sit for 8 hours a day doing nothing. But it seems they just want the guy out of the way since he might be useful in the future.

That sounds like am amazing promotion to me. Nobody's there to tell you to do anything or get mad at you for slacking, so you basically get paid to sit on your ass and browse the internet all day.

I love how even though this was a "shotgun wedding" in the sense of the time table, Ulises is trying so hard to consider his new wife, even through all the scars and numbness. When he messes up or is unaware of something regarding his new wife, he does his utmost to think on it and correct it, once he is made aware of his error. His reaction to new emotions is priceless too! And Lea is extremely patient with him, though I would like to see more character development on her part so that I can understand her more. So far this Fantasy Slice of life is very nice, and the art is great. (*-*)d

I like it

Raphuu~

Taliii~

Liaaa~

Faaake~

i didn't expect a tate no yuusha reference in here

This has the potential to be really, really sweet. I look forward to seeing how it unfolds.

Raphuu~

Taliii~

Liaaa~

Faaake~

?

Fromm what I roughly read from google translate of the original webcomic page, the author is a webnovel author so it is possible that this webcomic based on a novel (please someone confirm it) mmm...

Confirmed by going to the author's blog page (http://renisisin.blog.fc2.com/) - there are four novels already out for this series.

So, the Conte siblings are like so, from the oldest to youngest:

Reuben (2nd son)

Valeria

Ireneo (3rd son)

Severo (4th son)

Am I right? Can someone confirm? Or maybe Valeria is between Ireneo and Severo? Hmmmm...

So there is the possibility of another brother (1st son) coming on further chapters? Cool.

This isn't bad but I didn't find it nearly as sweet as most people in the comments section are making it out to be.

It could be that it was technically a "promotion" as he is a rather distinguished soldier. However, they went and assigned him to a rather off-the-grid post in a way. Imagine if you're a Captain at the front lines, earning commendations and making a difference in the war with a company of a hundred men. Then the brass "promotes" you to a major and puts you in command of some support battalion either back at home or in some neutral/allied country with little or no chance of involvement in combat. Even though you command a thousand men or so, there is little you can do and paths to promotion get closed off.

It's a technique used in some companies to put troublesome people out of the way without firing them or make them resign so they can't get pension or severance pay. Promoted to Department Chief of Paper archives, in the basement that no one really go to and managing stacks of paper that are so out of date that no one would ever ask for. Just log in and sit for 8 hours a day doing nothing. But it seems they just want the guy out of the way since he might be useful in the future.

Aw....those two are so lovely. I can't help but to get the feeling that Ulises and Lea are about to become very happy.

Also, is it just me, or is the title actually incorrect in a way? A battalion is a part of a regiment(Though regiment is no longer in use, and had an uneven application in history. In modern parlance, the regimental system was abolished in 1957 and turned into 2 major branches, strat and tactical. The breakdown usually goes division, brigade, battalion,company, squad team) , so he got promoted for his position if we go off modern parlance. However, the relocation would be more akin to political shuffling. "Get uncertain element out of the way and only have elements that support you nearby"
If we go by demotion itself, I would have switched it up from brigade to battalion commander. As a former member of the Army, that distinction (Being what is in use today) would make the most sense to me. Though it is interesting to think that he is a base commander. Read this with a grain of salt, I'm thinking about it in strictly modern parlance since that is the method by which I can instantly identify his position and ranking in the big scheme of things. As such, I'm just trying to relate it back into the story to have a better understanding of his situation. Even if you took all that away, in the end, his move was political in nature and thus intriguing in its own right. 

It could be that it was technically a "promotion" as he is a rather distinguished soldier. However, they went and assigned him to a rather off-the-grid post in a way. Imagine if you're a Captain at the front lines, earning commendations and making a difference in the war with a company of a hundred men. Then the brass "promotes" you to a major and puts you in command of some support battalion either back at home or in some neutral/allied country with little or no chance of involvement in combat. Even though you command a thousand men or so, there is little you can do and paths to promotion get closed off.

Also, is it just me, or is the title actually incorrect in a way? A battalion is a part of a regiment(Though regiment is no longer in use, and had an uneven application in history. In modern parlance, the regimental system was abolished in 1957 and turned into 2 major branches, strat and tactical. The breakdown usually goes division, brigade, battalion,company, squad team) , so he got promoted for his position if we go off modern parlance. However, the relocation would be more akin to political shuffling. "Get uncertain element out of the way and only have elements that support you nearby"
If we go by demotion itself, I would have switched it up from brigade to battalion commander. As a former member of the Army, that distinction (Being what is in use today) would make the most sense to me. Though it is interesting to think that he is a base commander. Read this with a grain of salt, I'm thinking about it in strictly modern parlance since that is the method by which I can instantly identify his position and ranking in the big scheme of things. As such, I'm just trying to relate it back into the story to have a better understanding of his situation. Even if you took all that away, in the end, his move was political in nature and thus intriguing in its own right. 

I'm having mixed feelings about the bottom left panel on page 20 of chapter 4.

Is this manga/webcomic based on a novel? That might explain the rough style.

Fromm what I roughly read from google translate of the original webcomic page, the author is a webnovel author so it is possible that this webcomic based on a novel (please someone confirm it) mmm...

After putting down the 4th chapter of this comic, I could feel the distinct aftertaste of sugar in my mouth...

Valeria could be difficult to pronounce for some Japanese, due to how "L"s and "R"s are pronounced (or rather, not pronounced).  "Lea" is pretty much a shortening of "Valeria" (specifically the "ria" portion).  To give you an idea of why there might be some issues.

It's also common to go with shortened names/knicknames among people you're intimate with (though of course this isn't limited to Japanese culture).

For those with other languages as the base, it won't be as difficult to pronounce (generally).

Raphuu~

Taliii~

Liaaa~

Faaake~

Is Valeria hard to pronounce or is it a mistranslation??

oh dang, chapter 5 is gonna be released in december.....so long.

Valeria could be difficult to pronounce for some Japanese, due to how "L"s and "R"s are pronounced (or rather, not pronounced).  "Lea" is pretty much a shortening of "Valeria" (specifically the "ria" portion).  To give you an idea of why there might be some issues.

It's also common to go with shortened names/knicknames among people you're intimate with (though of course this isn't limited to Japanese culture).

For those with other languages as the base, it won't be as difficult to pronounce (generally).

I feel this should come with a label "Warning: This manga will cause Diabetes"

Is Valeria hard to pronounce or is it a mistranslation??

oh dang, chapter 5 is gonna be released in december.....so long.

I got a toothache from this chapter.
MOAR

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics