Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.52 - 114votes)

Suijin no Hanayome

Alt Names: alt Bride of the Water Godalt 수신의 제물alt La Novia del Dios del Aguaalt Pengantin Dewa Airalt Su Tanrısının Gelinialt Suijin no Ikeniealt The Water Dragon's Bridealt 水神の生贄(はなよめ)alt 水神的祭品alt Невеста бога воды
Author: Toma Rei
Artist: Toma Rei
Genres: Drama DramaFantasy FantasyHistorical HistoricalRomance RomanceShoujo ShoujoSupernatural Supernatural
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: The story of a girl who slips back in time to a different era. While playing in her family's garden, Asahi gets sucked in by the small pond and when she wakes up she finds herself in a place that seems like Japan from ancient times. A powerful clan takes her in, but the reason for their kindness is that they intend to sacrifice her to the water god, the dragon, to be his bride... Now that she is at the mercy of a god who appears to know no compassion, what will Asahi's fate be?
Go to Suijin no Hanayome Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic So I was just wondering. Ship wise. What are everyone's feelings? New Window Koriru
  • 2 Replies

142 Comments

Unless she's promoted to Goddess (which I doubt), a relationship with the God of Water is meaningless. She will grow old and die while he will stay immaterial and young.

If she's bound to stay in this world (I fear that she won't be able to go back to hers), she better form a relationship with Asahi. But then, she's a priestess and thus, she's everyone's. So I doubt she can be married and have kids.

I'm afraid the ending will be something bittersweet, like her dying of old age after a life dedicated to helping others and she will never see her parents again (who wouldn't recognize her anyway).

Really like the direction her character development is heading.

thank you kyokyo for the new chapter! I really love this series

I'm assuming Asahi's accessed the female doctor's instructions and notes she left behind, otherwise she'd have no idea how quarantine works. Seriously, she was six when she crossed the tesseract, there's no way she knew this stuff. *decides to stop pointing at the plot hole because this development is interesting*

why we have to love God when he doesn't give a fuck about us ?
that water god even have that human's life to him equal ant's to us attitude.

Here's the thing: a "loving god" is a relatively new invention - even the earliest books of the the Old Testament talk about a god who only bestows his favor, not out of love, but because he deigned to make a contract with humans. Throughout, the gods are fickle, punish on a whim, and cannot be bound by affection. In fact, the idea of a Messiah who could bind Heaven and Earth were only the clawing hope behind the idea of the divine right behind the Mandate of Heaven or Divine Right. I think the mangaka is doing justice to history by making real gods being fickle, inhuman and inhumane beings. That Asahi can cross the divide means she's pretty much that "messiah" sought by all old religions.

Is that a spoiled-rotten little shit of a despot that I see there? Oh dear. Things are about to get annoying, aren't they?

Thinking about picking this up from where argo left off, fyi

Well thats it for now.

Maby ill continue when I get back, I dont know yet though.

Then Id probably also include chapter 15.5

Thank you for your hard work!

Hope you'll be able to get the well deserved rest!

Well thats it for now.

Maby ill continue when I get back, I dont know yet though.

Then Id probably also include chapter 15.5

Sounds like you know what you're talking about; that isn't a period I know anything about, so I'll take your word.  Still doesn't necessarily mean it's the actual past of the actual world, though.

No, that's true, it could be a fantasy world that's similar to Kofun Period Japan, or an alternate history, or something else entirely. Also, I don't really have much idea what I'm talking about. It felt vaguely like Japanese pre-history to me, and the religion reminded me of what I've read of the historical roots of Shinto, so I just looked it up to confirm. The artist's depiction of the village architecture is exactly like that in reconstructions of late Iron Age Japanese archaeology, and the keyhole-shaped tomb they fly over is an exact copy of historical Kofun tombs.

So this is either set in that historical period of Japan, or in a fantasy world heavily inspired by that historical period of Japan. Either way, it's deliberately meant to invoke the feeling of a specific time and place. If even I could recognize it, I assume most of the intended audience (Japanese readers would have studied this subject in school) is familiar enough with Japanese early history to recognize the references, the same way Western readers would recognize a series set in Ancient Greece, or a fantasy analogue thereof.

I'd argue that it isn't some "generic primitive early-agricultural tribe". It's based heavily on Japanese history and religion (or at least the popular conception of it), with the animist gods of natural phenomena, the priestesses who were said to common with them, and the occasional sacrifices to assuage their wrath.

The villages look very similar to the Yoshinogari reconstruction, and the tomb they just showed is obviously a Kofun tomb. This isn't a "generic" setting, it's very clearly set in Japan in the Yayoi or Kofun periods. Or at least the author draws heavily from the imagery, society, technology, religion, and architecture of that time.

Sounds like you know what you're talking about; that isn't a period I know anything about, so I'll take your word.  Still doesn't necessarily mean it's the actual past of the actual world, though.

I don't exactly have an argument with that, but I do have a technicality to note:  We don't know she's in the past.  In fact, I kind of doubt it although that's mostly a gut thing.  Seems more like just some kind of fantasy world.  I mean, it could be some generic primitive early-agricultural tribe in the actual past, we don't have enough information to know, but it could also be "elsewhere", Narnia style.  It certainly isn't any, I dunno, specific place/time in the past that I've ever heard of.

I'd argue that it isn't some "generic primitive early-agricultural tribe". It's based heavily on Japanese history and religion (or at least the popular conception of it), with the animist gods of natural phenomena, the priestesses who were said to common with them, and the occasional sacrifices to assuage their wrath.

The villages look very similar to the Yoshinogari reconstruction, and the tomb they just showed is obviously a Kofun tomb. This isn't a "generic" setting, it's very clearly set in Japan in the Yayoi or Kofun periods. Or at least the author draws heavily from the imagery, society, technology, religion, and architecture of that time.

I hope Asahi can go home, whether the time in her world passed or not. I hope if choice ever came, Asahi would choose her family and going home. Without nobody from that world taking a different form/reincarnation in her world. Not taking any of Fushigi Yuugi, Kanata Kara, Inuyasha, Silver Valkyries, and many others took. A little like +a maybe (minus many things lol)? Well, though all series I mentioned above have the girl summoned not at an early age. 

I could change water god's name to God, other gods to Allah, Buhda, Zeus, Odin, .. and we have a universal religious philosophy debate:

Spoiler

I just hope both side will shut up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The water god's kind of a fool.  I mean, he doesn't do (pretty much anything) because it's useless . . . but what the heck would be "useful" to him in the first place?  He doesn't need food, sleep, or shelter, doesn't need to work to get pretty much anything he wants, isn't interested in greater power . . . if he isn't going to do anything "useless" then I guess he'll just have to stand like a statue for all eternity.  Sounds kinda boring.

If you can have anything, the best thing to avoid being bored is to play with humans, like playing the power card... so making this village revere him or fear him seems like a good idea... except if there's rules between gods and that he has to avoid interfering in another god domain?

I call BS on that priestess. First she tries to sacrifice a random girl and then she can see things? Either she knows things, or she doesn't. This yes and no stuff is crud.

I could change water god's name to God, other gods to Allah, Buhda, Zeus, Odin, .. and we have a universal religious philosophy debate:

that water god even have that human's life to him equal ant's to us attitude.

My eyes are a little better, but im still lagging behind a bit, so next chapter tomorrow or the day after

The water god's kind of a fool.  I mean, he doesn't do (pretty much anything) because it's useless . . . but what the heck would be "useful" to him in the first place?  He doesn't need food, sleep, or shelter, doesn't need to work to get pretty much anything he wants, isn't interested in greater power . . . if he isn't going to do anything "useless" then I guess he'll just have to stand like a statue for all eternity.  Sounds kinda boring.

Well bad news.

My eyes are currently kinda fucked.

Nothing serious right now and I dont expect it to get serious.

Problem is, its still kinda hard to see.

Ill still try to keep the updates coming, but I cant make any promises about if I can make

those chapters before I go on vacation (Guess I need it huh)

Anyways thats all

Thank you for your hard work ! I'd be sad if you injured your health working on the translations, please put yourself first !

Welp, Asahi's gonna build herself a man-harem. Good for her!

This artstyle is soo cute *_* I know it has been the entire time, but somehow this chapter struck me as especially adorable.

Adding my personal two cents, I honestly don't care who Asahi end ups with, as long as it's believable and the other party doesn't get emotionally crippled in the process. I would enjoy both, Asahi together with Subaru (because that boy deserves her), or seeing her turning her bishie-pet-sheldon into something capable of feeling human emotions and understanding our common sense.

I trust Toma-sensei will not dissappoint us :)

Spoiler

Sorry to hear about your health. I hope you get better soon. Please take care of yourself. You just finished exams so dont push yourself to hard.. Thank you for your effort in bringing translations.

Asahi's quite clever. I hope this is a trip to see if she can return to her own world.

Well bad news.

My eyes are currently kinda fucked.

Nothing serious right now and I dont expect it to get serious.

Problem is, its still kinda hard to see.

Ill still try to keep the updates coming, but I cant make any promises about if I can make

those chapters before I go on vacation (Guess I need it huh)

Anyways thats all

I don't exactly have an argument with that, but I do have a technicality to note:  We don't know she's in the past.  In fact, I kind of doubt it although that's mostly a gut thing.  Seems more like just some kind of fantasy world.  I mean, it could be some generic primitive early-agricultural tribe in the actual past, we don't have enough information to know, but it could also be "elsewhere", Narnia style.  It certainly isn't any, I dunno, specific place/time in the past that I've ever heard of.

I also got the feeling that this was more "otherworld" than specifically the past. Also in reply to  Ruruskadoo's comment,

Spoiler

Subaru: *prepares to murder the f*** out of the bastids what took Asahi*

Asahi: HEY SUBARU GUESS WHAT, I GOT MY VOICE BACK. :D Also, totally alive and unharmed, and wow, the Water God is a dick even when he helps me out.

Subaru: ... omg, ur voice is cute. *calls off the war*

Everyone else: JUST MAKE BABIES ALREADY.

I like that Subaru is the only person the Water God can't enthrall - I wonder if it's because Subaru has a greater willpower than most (possibly because of his run-in with him as a kid), or if it's because the Water God respects(?) that Subaru is a fighter who isn't afraid of gods or man, and that he's more useful that way.

Probably both, since he said, "Hey, yeah, just go ahead an murder those losers who stole Asahi from you and arrowed you in the back. Pleb." /directquote

As for the people asking why Asahi isn't demanding to know how she got where she is, if you recall, she was a kid when she came, so her reasoning faculties weren't all that developed. Honestly, the narration sounds much like that of a woman who's made it back to the modern world and has had time to (re)absorb the methods and mindset of the 21st century, which would have been far beyond the ken of even the most learned scholars of the Yayoi/Kofun period (not that I know for sure, I'm assuming this manga is set in Late Jomon/Yayoi, based on the agriculture village structure. But as a couple other commenters have pointed out, this could be a separate timeline/universe all together...)

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics