Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.67 - 151votes)

Shoukoku no Altair

Alt Names: alt Altair - Tale of The Great Waralt ALTAIR ดาวจรัสฟ้า อินทรีถลาลมalt Altair ve Savaşlar Kitabıalt Altair: A Record of Battlesalt 将国のアルタイルalt 将国之天鹰星alt Rising Eagle of the General Nationalt Türkiyeli Alnaşr Altair
Author: Kato Kotono
Artist: Kato Kotono
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureAward Winning Award WinningDrama DramaFantasy FantasyHistorical HistoricalShounen Shounen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: For generations the Türkiye Devleti and the Balt-Rhein Empire have stood in stern opposition to each other. Then one night, when an imperial minister is found assassinated, the two nations are plunged into a potentially explosive situation. As the generals of Türkiye's council cry for war, Mahmut comes to discover the devious truth behind the assassination. Thus the young pasha's battle for his country, peace, and trust in his fellow man begins!

Spin-Off Series:

>Toukoku no Subaru (http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/toukoku-no-subaru-r18003)

> Shoukoku no Altair san (https://bato.to/comic/_/comics/shoukoku-no-altair-san-r22528)
Go to Shoukoku no Altair Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Recruiting translators from Japanese to English. New Window HiroHY
  • 2 Replies
Topic Comic Forums New Window Reminiscent Cheeseburger
  • 3 Replies
Topic "Shoukoku no Altair" Anime Preview And Plans Published New Window Hayro
  • 4 Replies

381 Comments

I think the actual interesting part will come when Turkiye will get full of themselves and Venedic (Rumelian aliance) are not happy with their share anymore. Or Suleiman and Mahmut changing sides vs Zaganos (he aims for the top)

Rod orm is alive and id' like to see them become public in a version of Dragon order, Vlad III of valakia included.

Tughrills and former ears trying to salvage the new Otoman Empire from corruption qualifies too.

Mongols?

I think Turkish Composite Bow got misinterpreted as Mongolian counterpart for a sec

2700 followers? I remember when this page was a graveyard...

I think the actual interesting part will come when Turkiye will get full of themselves and Venedic (Rumelian aliance) are not happy with their share anymore. Or Suleiman and Mahmut changing sides vs Zaganos (he aims for the top)

Rod orm is alive and id' like to see them become public in a version of Dragon order, Vlad III of valakia included.

Tughrills and former ears trying to salvage the new Otoman Empire from corruption qualifies too.

Mongols?

Okay I kind of agree with this but ..... In a story about war, it gets quite damn stale if the "good" guys keep winning almost all the time

To the whole quote, same. The only time these victories could be exciting is when we get to see the good guys in action. I mean it's more engaging when we get to see what they do, the way they think, etc. To get the result rather than give the result and reason for it. Feels like there's more Tell than there is Show.

English hunting longbows had 60-70 pounds, actual war bows had 90-120 pounds, sometimes more. So much that bowmen spine was twisted from practice. Mongolian bows had shorter draw lengths, and the arrows were lighter, so they had less kinetic energy then English arrows. If one of them would pierce plate armor it would be the English one. Not dissing the Mongolian bow but piercing full plate wasn't its job (or any bow's, but European full plate was that good) and English bows were made with long distance shots in mind while with horseback archery it isn't necessary.

Mongol bows were also long range beasts. Depending on the sorts of arrows one used.

Okay I kind of agree with this but 2 points I want made. Firstly it was just introduced in this chapter as being this big game changer then SUDDENLY the "good" guys find it and disable it in same chapter. Like seriously the author made it a big deal in the first few pages then kind of killed it for me with the murder boner and the empire have a interesting counter attack. Secondly all this war has been so far was a colossal ass whooping of the empire so far and the empire is supposed to be this big bad empire with a good giant military but they get their asses handed to them NEARLY EVERY SINGLE DAMN TIME. I can concede some of the protagonist victories as they were quite interesting but we have not really seen a good counter attack by the empire.

In a story about war, it gets quite damn stale if the "good" guys keep winning almost all the time specially against a huge foe like the empire. In fact the only memorable victory I have from the empire was when they killed the old nice man and yet a majority of the empire characters that I would find interesting either get killed off or captured or whatnot. Luckily we still have the evil beast chick and hopefully she does make a comeback counterattack for goodness sake.

I agree to an extent, but you never should have expected anything to actually come from the tunnels, considering Zaganos' plot armor.

Mongolian composite bows have a draw power of around 100-160 pounds. English longbows only have a draw power of 60-70 pounds. Not a good comparison at all. 

English hunting longbows had 60-70 pounds, actual war bows had 90-120 pounds, sometimes more. So much that bowmen spine was twisted from practice. Mongolian bows had shorter draw lengths, and the arrows were lighter, so they had less kinetic energy then English arrows. If one of them would pierce plate armor it would be the English one. Not dissing the Mongolian bow but piercing full plate wasn't its job (or any bow's, but European full plate was that good) and English bows were made with long distance shots in mind while with horseback archery it isn't necessary.

Mongolian composite bows have a draw power of around 100-160 pounds. English longbows only have a draw power of 60-70 pounds.

They even talk about this in Chapter 72, but I guess everyone forgot xD

To be fair, we were introduced to the tunnels only this chapter. And if they've existed for centuries, it would take a very incompetent spy network to not discover this.

Okay I kind of agree with this but 2 points I want made. Firstly it was just introduced in this chapter as being this big game changer then SUDDENLY the "good" guys find it and disable it in same chapter. Like seriously the author made it a big deal in the first few pages then kind of killed it for me with the murder boner and the empire have a interesting counter attack. Secondly all this war has been so far was a colossal ass whooping of the empire so far and the empire is supposed to be this big bad empire with a good giant military but they get their asses handed to them NEARLY EVERY SINGLE DAMN TIME. I can concede some of the protagonist victories as they were quite interesting but we have not really seen a good counter attack by the empire.

In a story about war, it gets quite damn stale if the "good" guys keep winning almost all the time specially against a huge foe like the empire. In fact the only memorable victory I have from the empire was when they killed the old nice man and yet a majority of the empire characters that I would find interesting either get killed off or captured or whatnot. Luckily we still have the evil beast chick and hopefully she does make a comeback counterattack for goodness sake.

I can't tell if the author went deus ex bs or if they're trolling.... I'm in a state of unknown suspense bc of "benefit of the doubt" x_x

Okay was it just me that was hoping that evil chick shows up with the counter attacking cavalry and then was majorly disappointed? I get that they are the "good guys" but even I get tired of the antagonists getting their asses whooped at every turn of the battle especially more so in a setting based on medieval warfare between warring factions. Author portrays the enemy as devious and cunning yet SUDDENLY protagonists info network manage to find said tunnel out of nowhere and close it off. I got a murder boner here then the author hits me with this and gets cut right off -_-.

I feel your pain but take solace in the fact that the duchess is hinted at gunning down Urado and Turkiye if the volume opening is any hint.

Okay was it just me that was hoping that evil chick shows up with the counter attacking cavalry and then was majorly disappointed? I get that they are the "good guys" but even I get tired of the antagonists getting their asses whooped at every turn of the battle especially more so in a setting based on medieval warfare between warring factions. Author portrays the enemy as devious and cunning yet SUDDENLY protagonists info network manage to find said tunnel out of nowhere and close it off. I got a murder boner here then the author hits me with this and gets cut right off -_-

To be fair, we were introduced to the tunnels only this chapter. And if they've existed for centuries, it would take a very incompetent spy network to not discover this.

Okay was it just me that was hoping that evil chick shows up with the counter attacking cavalry and then was majorly disappointed? I get that they are the "good guys" but even I get tired of the antagonists getting their asses whooped at every turn of the battle especially more so in a setting based on medieval warfare between warring factions. Author portrays the enemy as devious and cunning yet SUDDENLY protagonists info network manage to find said tunnel out of nowhere and close it off. I got a murder boner here then the author hits me with this and gets cut right off -_-

Against weaker armor sure, but against top quality 15-16th century full plate? I find that really doubtful.
Not saying piercing armor is impossible, just that it is a sign it being shoddily made armour as even the famed english longbowmen had trouble to outright penetrate plate armour during the hundred years war.

Mongolian composite bows have a draw power of around 100-160 pounds. English longbows only have a draw power of 60-70 pounds. Not a good comparison at all. 

Against weaker armor sure, but against top quality 15-16th century full plate? I find that really doubtful.
Not saying piercing armor is impossible, just that it is a sign it being shoddily made armour as even the famed english longbowmen had trouble to outright penetrate plate armour during the hundred years war.

The battle took quite some time, and while still slightly odd, you can think of it as, repeated strikes in the same area causing dents / faults in the metal.

That being said, on a personal level, I don't believe composite Shortbows of any kind would do much damage to anything plated like that. As you said, even the english/welsh longbow would struggle at a close range to penetrate armor of that sort. But, if you think about it, what the knights are doing is equally ridiculous. Chasing faster horses in HEAVILY ARMORED warhorses. The warhorses would be tried after 2 hours let alone the duration of this battle (Which is unknown as far as I know.) Their horses would be practically dying right about now.

Where was Gandalf!? He promised he'd be there on the first light!

Turkish composite bows can if its on close range

None of the helmets was actually penetrated. What's actually happening is even more fantastic: The arrows accurately hit and go through the vision slits on those helmets. That's some superhuman marksmanship given that slits are between 5 and 15 mm wide.

Most of them did sure but page 27 had two clear examples of arrows penetrating rather than going through the slits, including one that was a full knights helmet.

Arrows penetrating steel helmets?, wow that is some shoddy metalworking.

None of the helmets was actually penetrated. What's actually happening is even more fantastic: The arrows accurately hit and go through the vision slits on those helmets. That's some superhuman marksmanship given that slits are between 5 and 15 mm wide.

Turkish composite bows can if its on close range

The empire strikes back. Also anyone else love that the antagonists actually put a good fight in warfare and plan rather than brute force it or get tricked all the time? Kind of refreshing to me really.

Wait, have we had hints of Zaganos' heritage before or was that revelation new?

Looking back on it this may or may have not been a hint.

> Playing Cavalry Idea

> VS late 1500's tech

> and Cannon

ye shat the bed, noob

Not really. Until the Tercio and Gewalthaufen heavy cavalry was devastating. Early guns did not change much in that regard.

We Varna now?

So far the Herman do exactly what you should not do...

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics