Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.7 - 450votes)

Clockwork Planet

Alt Names: alt クロックワーク・プラネットalt Clock Work Planetalt 클락워크 플래닛alt 时钟机关之星
Author: Kamiya Yuu & Himana Tsubaki
Artist: Kuro
Genres: Action ActionFantasy FantasyRomance RomanceSci-fi Sci-fiShounen Shounen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Everyone on the Clockwork Planet considers Naoto Miura a machinery nut. Every moment of every day, he has his mind on gears and his hands tinkering with delicate mechanical motors. But nobody understand how he can hear and feel gears in operation, even from a long distance away. Then one day, a clockwork maiden falls from the sky, presaging events that would shake the whole world...

Adaptation of the light novel written by Kamiya Yuu and Himana Tsubaki with illustrations by Shino
Go to Clockwork Planet Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

731 Comments

Nope, you're mixing hypothesis with theory. A law is a simple fact, and it does not explain it, it simply is (see the thermodynamic laws). A theory is a complex explanation of a phenomenon.

And an hypothesis is an idea not yet proven.

I think speculation is an idea not yet proven, hypothesis is the assumption of something just for the sake of examination.

This manga very much tests one's ability to suspend disbelief...

This so much ! The story and the characters are kind of good. But the scientific explanation are painful to read. The climax was when the two automata fight each other. Bullcrap explanation and wrong drawings everywhere (all those lines which must represent the space/time fabric and is just put there because "it's look scientific and it's cool" and is represented wrongly... )
I'd zurely prefert if the manga just said "it's science and I will not explain" instead of making poor explanations...

And I'll not talk about the anachronism of the military planes from actual earth in a world drastically different... (which should be more than 1000 year after)

theories are not yet proven concepts and are closer to ideals, if they are proven then they became laws. 

Nope, you're mixing hypothesis with theory. A law is a simple fact, and it does not explain it, it simply is (see the thermodynamic laws). A theory is a complex explanation of a phenomenon.

And an hypothesis is an idea not yet proven.

I have no bloody idea what you're talking about.

Einstein's "experiments"? He was a theoretical physicist... And theory of relativity has nothing to do with theory of gravity.

By the way, when speaking in a scientific context - theory is something proven, tested and repeatedly proven again, peer reviewed and confirmed. Nobody worth his or her salt would try to refuse anything like that without years upon years of testing and conclusive experiments.

theories are not yet proven concepts and are closer to ideals, if they are proven then they became laws. 

I hope they fix up the headless guy, it'd be nice to have a new team player. Him and the rest of his team, they were pretty damn cool 

If the gears are made of metal they can be effected by magntic forces. There was a documetry movie done about the first cromomitor, the kind to figure out what longitude you are at, the first one given the the price/king got screwed up because of a pair of magnates he was storing in the drawer of his desk.

Maybe a movie thing, but really if there anything that moves and requires 100% freedom, a magnate can screw with it

well i´m not a physics prof but i don´t think that electromagnetical waves can interfere with mechanical gears?

but i also dunno how that world works so what do i know :D

p.s. thx for the update FSL29

Spoiler from chapter 26:

Spoiler

While it's possible in principle, it still seems infeasible. (Speaking of which, how were the pilots talking to each other?) This manga very much tests one's ability to suspend disbelief...

I'm not sure I remember where, but I believe it was mentioned that they use "resonance" for communications.

Also, as long as it's theoretically possible, then I believe it's not a problem. I mean, if it was feasible, we would have already done it, no?

However, I do agree that the fiction goes far beyond the science in this manga.

"Ancle"
I lol'd.

I cringed at that one actually. However, we'll keep translating it as AnchoR, since that's the name used in the light novel by the author (And it's also the name of a clock part.)

well i´m not a physics prof but i don´t think that electromagnetical waves can interfere with mechanical gears?

They can. Like everything else it depends on intensity and frequency.
But of course for anyone with basic knowledge of physics the physics in this manga don't make any sense.

Fighters in WW2 were all analog. So its no infeasible to build a nondigital war plane... But for them to fly at mach 5 is a bit...

Cat%20Girls.gif

I think the author really needs to read a book of physics. Yeah I know, it's just a manga setting, but still...
"Ancle"
I lol'd.

This manga very much tests one's ability to suspend disbelief...

Or it's for people like me who don't know enough to think anything is wrong. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytical_Engine

If you can make a turing complete computer with gears, you can make circuits as well.

While it's possible in principle, it still seems infeasible. (Speaking of which, how were the pilots talking to each other?) This manga very much tests one's ability to suspend disbelief...

It depends on what kind of electromagnetism we're talking about here.

wut

Dude, read a physics book. Anything by Griffiths is pretty novice-friendly, I hear. Early-undergrad level or so. Then you'll lose all desire to get into puerile arguments on the internet.

The thing I'm really curious is how they created a jet fighter and an AWACS without any electric circuits... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytical_Engine

If you can make a turing complete computer with gears, you can make circuits as well.

The thing I'm really curious is how they created a jet fighter and an AWACS without any electric circuits... 

When something is tagged with sci-fi, naturally readers try to find and understand the logic and reason behind everything. If a sci-fi manga lacks science, it's just a normal fiction manga. Imagine you're cooking chicken rice but without the chicken, what will you eat?

I didn't do much unlike the other 5 people on the team. But sure, you're welcome.

Except that gravity exists, and has been proven.

It's just that there are some(Yes, some, others already agree with the results) hardheaded scientists that still refute the theory even after Einstein's experiment had pretty clear results.

I have no bloody idea what you're talking about.

Einstein's "experiments"? He was a theoretical physicist... And theory of relativity has nothing to do with theory of gravity.

By the way, when speaking in a scientific context - theory is something proven, tested and repeatedly proven again, peer reviewed and confirmed. Nobody worth his or her salt would try to refuse anything like that without years upon years of testing and conclusive experiments.

Well Y, i think it's time for you to reveal your very own gigantic mecha or something, if you have it...

C'mon, Y already managed to build a Planet and some Physic-denying Automatons, a Gigantic Mecha is surely simple enough for him isn't it?

i would rather have him dismantle that mecha with a screwdriver and put that old guy into despair once again

It depends on what kind of electromagnetism we're talking about here.

It's not a theory, it's an adage.

Oh I agree, it's pretty much an adage. But saying that Magic is science that hasn't been understood yet, is the same as saying that science is absolute. When things get strange the moment we get out of our planet and study the behaviour of molecules in the vacuum.

So is gravity but I doubt you'd be jumping off buildings anytime soon

Except that gravity exists, and has been proven.

It's just that there are some(Yes, some, others already agree with the results) hardheaded scientists that still refute the theory even after Einstein's experiment had pretty clear results.

Well Y, i think it's time for you to reveal your very own gigantic mecha or something, if you have it...

C'mon, Y already managed to build a Planet and some Physic-denying Automatons, a Gigantic Mecha is surely simple enough for him isn't it?

Maybe the planet is a mecha! For all we know it is possible.

Star Wars is sci-fi bordering on fantasy. Sci-fi isn't always be "it's science I ain't gotta explain shit"; good sci-fi stories also attempt to explain their technologies and offer some sort of development path from technological point A to technological point B. Just look at the Foundation series, the idea of psychohistory is thoroughly explained as using concepts of sociology and statistics even though it's not necessarily realistic. Or the book "Heart of the Comet", where the astronauts start out with a very reasonable level of biology/immunology knowledge, which is advanced out of necessity because of the infectious creatures in the comet.

In Star Wars, force is vaguely explained as the product of midi-chlorians, but nothing else is explained, nor tracked. There's nothing wrong with that, but it does mean that Star Wars is not a good litmus test for what is sci-fi and what isn't. 

Star Wars is more like fantasy trying to act like sci-fi.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics