Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.7 - 450votes)

Clockwork Planet

Alt Names: alt クロックワーク・プラネットalt Clock Work Planetalt 클락워크 플래닛alt 时钟机关之星
Author: Kamiya Yuu & Himana Tsubaki
Artist: Kuro
Genres: Action ActionFantasy FantasyRomance RomanceSci-fi Sci-fiShounen Shounen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Everyone on the Clockwork Planet considers Naoto Miura a machinery nut. Every moment of every day, he has his mind on gears and his hands tinkering with delicate mechanical motors. But nobody understand how he can hear and feel gears in operation, even from a long distance away. Then one day, a clockwork maiden falls from the sky, presaging events that would shake the whole world...

Adaptation of the light novel written by Kamiya Yuu and Himana Tsubaki with illustrations by Shino
Go to Clockwork Planet Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

731 Comments

Please god tell me that Ossan doesn't join them for good.  An old mans brain in a busty hot body that always has a cigarette in its mouth is just too cringey.  Make it go away!

But... Its one of the most popular gender-bender tropes... And I can't wait for DATE to pick it up ;p

p.s. Don't know who DATE is? Google [Date] Hanshin and enjoy life~

Please god tell me that Ossan doesn't join them for good.  An old mans brain in a busty hot body that always has a cigarette in its mouth is just too cringey.  Make it go away!

Gyaru-ossan-stripdroid is new best character!!

alright where the gender bender tag is...

dang , somebody just had to do it ...

and that cover ? 

Spoiler

oh , and thanks a lot for the release , i thought this series is dropped T.T

Anchor is very precious

alright where the gender bender tag is...

Hmm, it's bugging me a bit that Marie is wavering so much every time something negative is revealed or happening. I don't know if I'm imagining it but her development doesn't feel gradual at all.

It's happening, guys!

Knowing how a gun works won't make it any easier to wrestle it away from someone whose arms are as big as your legs...
Actually, I came here for cute girls, and I'm quite satisfied so far.

Everyone's shocked by the message's contents so much that they forgot an elementary fact.

Radio waves are electromagnetic waves, not sound waves.

How in the world did Naoto hear them?

I know I am very late, but let me answer: the same way anyone who's not deaf can hear working transformer units. It's just normal radiowaves induce much smaller currents, so it takes much more sensitive ears to hear the conductors expanding... basically.

well i´m not a physics prof but i don´t think that electromagnetical waves can interfere with mechanical gears?

Similarly, if the machinery is precise enough, the electromagnetic force, along with heating and expansion, may make the circuit inoperable.

[Building gear-based computers] While it's possible in principle, it still seems infeasible.

Not at all. They had whole 1000 years to come up with alternate technologies to make their life easier while avoiding electricity. The planet may have changed, but the people certainly did not, they still wanted to get the most while spending the least effort; and as demand creates supply, their engineers invented all those fancy machines.
It would be actually stranger if their world didn't change from what our 17th-18th centuries' Earth was like.
_

My theory here is that Y, when creating all their things, had access to everything our modern science has to offer plus however many additional years the author gave us before a catastrophe. That includes all those "magic" things like quantum computers, Alcubierre drives and whatever else their Grand Theory of Everything gave their engineers.
And, of course, atomically precise laser-cut ultra-wear-resistant gears.
Though the author probably didn't think about any of that at all.
_

Okay, I admit, the spacey-timey stuff in that one chapter makes no sense whatsoever.

This manga has hinted so many times how even the smartest engineers (let alone Y) is unable to figure out how the planet works. Just treat the world as a different universe that works differently from ours and no need to struggle trying to make sense of those physics logic.

The way i see, Y is just like Einstein of our world.
but apparently, he isn't willing to share his knowledge so everyone is left in the dark. 

so
1) a world that works differently than ours
2) an Einstein who didn't bother share his knowledge; after re-modelling(?) the world 
3) ignorant politicians who believes that they knows how the world works.
and you get clockwork planet.

a planet of advanced technology where the people has no freaking idea how the world even work.

Lol, you can tell the author is dissatisfied with the current political scene in Japan.

oh mai gawd A NEW CHAPTER

...How do their Earth protects against solar wind and retain atmosphere now that Earth Core's Magnetism is no more? It was stated that the planet doesn't have any kind of core anymore that could generate Magnetism now.

Loss of atmosphere from solar wind is a relatively slow process. Hydrogen gets lost preferentially, so as water vapor dissociates from incoming radiation the H gets lost to space and the free oxygen tends to get locked up in weathering of crustal rocks.  The planet drying out is one of the first effects.  At longer time-scales, given that the Clockwork Planet no longer has plate tectonics, keeping carbon dioxide and oxygen in balance becomes a technical challenge. 

Anyway the more immediate problem from loss of the planetary magnetic field is how to keep accelerated charged particles in the solar wind from sterilizing the planet's surface.

You confused the two. The Earth Core generates a magnetic field around the Earth which shields the planet from direct solar wind and helps retain the atmosphere. You can see why this is important for life on Earth.

Gravity is caused simply by the mass of the Earth itself. Anything that has mass has gravity, even you and I, it's just too weak compared to the Earth's gravity.

Ah thank you mate, it seems i indeed need a refreshment on the subject about Gravity.

That bring me another question that maybe i shouldn't even asked regarding the manga setting, cuz it's a manga and fiction anyway, and i guess you already know what am i gonna ask...

Spoiler

Well, one of the most basic thing i remember about gravity (beside that its direction is to the core of Earth) is that it stems from Earth's Core Magnetism or something somehow, maybe that's why i confused Gravity with Magnetism?

You confused the two. The Earth Core generates a magnetic field around the Earth which shields the planet from direct solar wind and helps retain the atmosphere. You can see why this is important for life on Earth.

Gravity is caused simply by the mass of the Earth itself. Anything that has mass has gravity, even you and I, it's just too weak compared to the Earth's gravity.

s0pZE.jpg

No matter which theory of gravity you consider, it has no direct relation to the electromagnetic force. It's its own thing. There might be some esoteric string theory nonsense that unifies them somehow, but not in a way that's important on normal energy/time/distance scales.

Well, one of the most basic thing i remember about gravity (beside that its direction is to the core of Earth) is that it stems from Earth's Core Magnetism or something somehow, maybe that's why i confused Gravity with Magnetism?

Man, when i think about it, it was such a waste for Magnetism Knowledge to be considered illegal due to their world natures.

I mean, out of all sciences and physics, Magnetism is the most magic-like of them all! (Personal Opinion)

Wait... then why did that world still have Gravity?

It's have to do with how Gravity doesn't directly magnetize anything i presume.

No matter which theory of gravity you consider, it has no direct relation to the electromagnetic force. It's its own thing. There might be some esoteric string theory nonsense that unifies them somehow, but not in a way that's important on normal energy/time/distance scales.

Magnetism does seem like magic, though. It's pretty complicated, even for physics...

In physical terms it either comes from changing electric fields (e.g. coils of wire with AC electricity passing through), or atomic spin (e.g. iron, cobalt, nickel). There's actually a few forms of magnetism in matter: ferromagnetism, paramagnetism, and diamagnetism. Ferromagnetism is what you normally think of as magnetism, like fridge magnets. The other two are pretty weak effects, and so you don't normally notice them. Google "frog in electromagnet" for a demonstration of the diamagnetism of water. 

I have no bloody idea what you're talking about.

Einstein's "experiments"? He was a theoretical physicist... And theory of relativity has nothing to do with theory of gravity.

By the way, when speaking in a scientific context - theory is something proven, tested and repeatedly proven again, peer reviewed and confirmed. Nobody worth his or her salt would try to refuse anything like that without years upon years of testing and conclusive experiments.

Einstein proposed experiments which could be done to demonstrate the validity of his theory. One of them was about how gravity would cause light rays to bend. To test it out, photographs of stars were taken during a total solar eclipse, which showed that starlight was bent by the influence of the suns gravity.

You could consider that Einstein's experiment, even though he didn't make the measurements himself. (He might not have come up with the idea, either. I'm not a historian and can't be bothered to google it at the moment.)

Anyways, general relativity does propose a description of gravity as a warping of spacetime caused by the presence of mass. So relativity is about gravity, technically speaking.

Man, when i think about it, it was such a waste for Magnetism Knowledge to be considered illegal due to their world natures.

I mean, out of all sciences and physics, Magnetism is the most magic-like of them all! (Personal Opinion)

Wait... then why did that world still have Gravity?

It's have to do with how Gravity doesn't directly magnetize anything i presume.

Edit: Stupid me, Gravity may felt similar but it's different to Magnetism in many way.

Awesome job Naoto/Y.  Building Anchor with a self-demagnetizing defense feature.

I can't tell if there's a chapter missing or not. It feels like something happened and we weren't told, but there's enough information to make it seem like there's some chance of it being intended.

While it's possible in principle, it still seems infeasible. (Speaking of which, how were the pilots talking to each other?) This manga very much tests one's ability to suspend disbelief...

wut

Dude, read a physics book. Anything by Griffiths is pretty novice-friendly, I hear. Early-undergrad level or so. Then you'll lose all desire to get into puerile arguments on the internet.

Dude study physics properly, Magnetism is not just about metals, we have many kinds of magnetism with each kind affecting different materials, in a different way. Some of which work on metals, and some work on other things. So yes depending on the magnetic field it may or may not affect the gears. There's also the material those gears are made of to consider. Unless we're talking about an electromagnetic force that can influence all kinds of Magnetism, from Dia to Ferromagnetism

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics