Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.74 - 233votes)

Houseki no Kuni

Alt Names: alt 宝石の国alt Country of Jewelsalt 보석의 나라alt Il Regno delle Gemmealt Kingdom of Gemsalt L'ère des Cristauxalt Land of the Lustrousalt Mücevher Ülkesialt Reino de Gemasalt Страна самоцветов
Author: Ichikawa Haruko
Artist: Ichikawa Haruko
Genres: Drama DramaFantasy FantasyMystery MysterySeinen Seinen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: In the distant future, a new life form called Houseki (gems) are born. The 28 Houseki must fight against the moon dwellers who want to attack them and turn them into decorations, thus each gem is assigned a role such as a fighter or a medic. Though they hope to fight the moon dwellers, Phos is a gem who is given no assignment until the gems' master Adamantine asks them to write an encyclopedia.
Go to Houseki no Kuni Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic how far in the manga did the anime reach New Window neorasp
  • 2 Replies
Topic Official Voice Cast for the Anime! New Window Redpandagirl
  • 2 Replies

493 Comments

Source?

Not sure, just a meme that I see in some place and saved, like this one (this resumes the entirely of the second season):

Gtye9VU.jpg

Try doing a reverse search.

Regarding the wording there, it's possible that he's deliberately skirting around saying something like "the rest of your life" because he considers gems objects and therefore not alive. It would be hard to know without seeing the original Japanese. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

I agree with what you said p much so I will just address your last question lol

Gems are not immortal. I believe It simply refers to gems being "immortal", until they get shattered in a million pieces. In a way, If they aren't broken, they will outlive the sea creatures and anything that isn't a Lunarian, and that could be seen as a type of immortality.

Is a funny phrase, really. It could be interpreted both ways: "You are immortal, you will outlive everything. That is the span of your existence.", "You are immortal... Until they shatter you. And that will be the span of your existence."

Spoiler

Regarding the wording there, it's possible that he's deliberately skirting around saying something like "the rest of your life" because he considers gems objects and therefore not alive. It would be hard to know without seeing the original Japanese. 

I don't think the lunarians are wrong in calling him a "praying machine", but I also wouldn't 100% trust them either. It is possible they are going about it all wrong, and like you said they got confused here and there. But I don't think they are wrong in calling him a machine (I mean they clearly are way more technologically advanced than the gems on their little island on earth. With all the time they had been stuck in the moon, you would think they would be able to figure what kind of existence he is).
You mention the Shiro incident, but is not like the Lunarians can't be kind (especially to each other). And It's not like they haven't tried kissing Sensei's ass to get him to work (as explained by Aechmea, tho we can't 100% believe what the moon ppl say). I believe there is a another factor missing for that to happen besides being "kind". I wish we could know more about the lore of their world and Sensei's origins to have a clear idea of what they should be doing lol But I guess this will happen when they get the idea.
Also random but It has been mentioned and implied the current Earth ended up with a single island of land after 6 space rocks fell on it and made like 6 moons or smth. Freaky stuff.

Spoiler

aSTnRuS.jpg

Source?

Holy fuck.

Spoiler

Spoiler

aSTnRuS.jpg

Having now read through all the chapters available my opinions have changed quite a bit, while still retaining certain elements. To keep it short I now see parallels with works such as Wall-E, "IB- Instant bullets", and some other ones I at the present moment can't recall.

Spoiler
Most of my thoughts in my previous comment I'll retract. But I'll let the comment stand unedited, since It is fun to conserve relics of your past, so that you can get a glimpse of thoughts now gone.

I don't think the lunarians are wrong in calling him a "praying machine", but I also wouldn't 100% trust them either. It is possible they are going about it all wrong, and like you said they got confused here and there. But I don't think they are wrong in calling him a machine (I mean they clearly are way more technologically advanced than the gems on their little island on earth. With all the time they had been stuck in the moon, you would think they would be able to figure what kind of existence he is).

You mention the Shiro incident, but is not like the Lunarians can't be kind (especially to each other). And It's not like they haven't tried kissing Sensei's ass to get him to work (as explained by Aechmea, tho we can't 100% believe what the moon ppl say). I believe there is a another factor missing for that to happen besides being "kind". I wish we could know more about the lore of their world and Sensei's origins to have a clear idea of what they should be doing lol But I guess this will happen when they get the idea. 

Also random but It has been mentioned and implied the current Earth ended up with a single island of land after 6 space rocks fell on it and made like 6 moons or smth. Freaky stuff.

Having now read through all the chapters available my opinions have changed quite a bit, while still retaining certain elements. To keep it short I now see parallels with works such as Wall-E, "IB- Instant bullets", and some other ones I at the present moment can't recall.
Spoiler
Most of my thoughts in my previous comment I'll retract. But I'll let the comment stand unedited, since It is fun to conserve relics of your past, so that you can get a glimpse of thoughts now gone.

Holy fuck.

Spoiler

He probably felt too burdened and guilty over his own condition, hence why he told Phos he wanted Rutile to give up trying to fix him.

To top things up, to fix him may have costed way more than he saw worth: Betraying sensei and putting everyone in a considerably dangerous situation by dragging their asses to the moon.

Also on topic of the whole translation drama:

How does the current translation group see translating the previous chapters that were translated by Belkrax? That way we can have more polished translations and everyone can shut up about it instead of having a back-and-forth in the comments section and pissing each other off over it. Sounds more reasonable instead of trying to prove who was in the right on the matter.
So I just began reading this, and while the art is great and the story interesting I am torn.
Spoiler

Holy fuck.

Spoiler

Well...
Spoiler
Holy fuck.
Spoiler

Dammit. The anime ended where the best parts of the story start. I was hoping for a S2 announcement at the end... which never came.

Is it strange that Aechmea's mannerisms look to me a lot like Kongou-sensei's?

I could see him as being somehow related to the maker of Sensei, that also being the reason why he knows so much. And it might even make his declaration that all of the remaining Lunarians are failures- himself included- all the more poignant if he actually was Sensei's maker and his plan to save people's souls failed.

I'd like to throw my 2 cents in on this whole Google Translate topic;

Google Translate is a tool, and like any other tool, the results it produces depend heavinly on the skills and know-how of it's user.

If you rip the text, paste it into GT and use the results as is, chances are, the quality will end up hilariously terrible.

If, after using GT, you also fix some awkward parts of it, you end up with proper, english-sounding text, it's acuracy being the only thing that's shaky.

If you use GT as a dictionary to figure out if there is a potential compound kanji, there is basically no way you make inaccuracies, if you also watch out for nuance.

So to conclude, someone using GT for translation shouldn't be an automatic red flag; At least not without knowing HOW they use it.

Yes, because accurate translations is a "belief".

Since you're all right with people enjoying your inaccurate translations, if you troll them and make up your own story it's all right as long they're enjoying it, is that it? belkrax, man, why wouldn't you even try to make your own translations better? Wouldn't it be even better if they enjoyed your accurate translations? Why can't you see that x.x

I've checked out random pages from a couple chapters, some for belkrax's initial attempts and some more recent. They all rather look the same, sadly.

I have provided resources! ^^

Spoiler

Anyway, the chapter is epic... The reaction of each gems is really natural as they should be... The author really knows n understand how human emotios is played n put...

Dammit. The anime ended where the best parts of the story start. I was hoping for a S2 announcement at the end... which never came.

Is it strange that Aechmea's mannerisms look to me a lot like Kongou-sensei's?

WHAT A MERRY CHRISTMAS!

...it's really hard to tell if this is meant to be sarcastic or not (or even both!) On the one hand, "New chapter just in time for Christmas! Yay!" On the other hand...

Spoiler

Spoiler

WHAT A MERRY CHRISTMAS!

After the anime ended i maratoned the manga and, it was amazing, i would thanks to the anime counterpart if i find this rare "gem".

Even if this author isn't very good at drawing i think the whole concept is very good and original, also the tension is constant in every chapter, you can't never predict what will happen.

The only bad thing is that is 1 chapter x month formula, a very pain to follow a manga in this format once you are in par with the official japanese release.

Hmm... some of the cuts the anime uses in the chapter 36 material that was moved forward to episode 12 seem to have generated some confusion among anime-only viewers.

Spoiler

Just finished the anime and spent my whole morning reading everything until the latest chapter. I really like how interesting this is and can't still figure out what will happen next. I can't also decide on what Phos should do, but I want her to save everyone

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics